Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Waltz of the Sugar Plum Candies

Started by visualspice, November 15, 2013, 04:58:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zozee9

Illi, completely oblivious to her blushing partner (and thank goodness that was so, otherwise she would have turned bright red herself!), didn't stop pressing the latter issue. She pushed her intonation back towards dramatics and teased, "Ah, then so be it, Lord Callister. Your wish is my command, Lord Callister. And would this Lord Callister like any more wine to loosen his steps? Or does he worry about bloodying his royal skin even more?" If the tone of her voice wasn't enough to key him in on her lack of seriousness, the smile that was starting to break though would have.

With a small snort, Jana muttered, "Illi is not a plain girl, and even if she was, she would be a much better lady than anyone else that anti-social could manage to get." With a sigh, she more clearly added, "This conversation seems to have taken a turn for the worse, and I will take full blame for that. Now I will gladly continue to dance with a lady as lovely as yourself, but I would comprehend if you want to banish me from your thoughts for the rest of your life... just as you seemed to have done the first time."

Pulling Davina to the side of all the dancers, she added, "If it is the former, and you would like to continue our dancing and conversations, I would like to ask for a short break to drink. You see, I have not yet sipped the sweet liquid of the wine here, which I have heard is the best wine in all of the country. And perhaps it would do us both good to loosen the mood."
Characters: Alycia | Sky | Kayala | Elaina | Alexandra | Piper | Gage AND Heather | Zeina | Elizabeth | Mera | Darya | Fiara | Tanya | Meki | Vivian | Lali | Nyimi | Jillian | Cedric | Jana | Duncan | Zara | Marie | Rora | Koraq | Xiana | Sevda | Nava | Na'il | Bambina | Micheovi | Nitya

Art Thread: Here! | deviantArt Profile: Here <3

If I owe you a post (which I probably do), sorry... I'll get you one as soon as I can! <3 Message me if you're in a rush or want one.

visualspice

Where it would seem Miss Rosalina was quickly trying to divert herself away from these social affairs, poor luck and perhaps poor judgement, and equally poor social calls were trapping her in them; even as her heart was beating heavily in her chest as her mind was in a whirl for the only thing she was thinking about was escape, and at present, it wasn't necessarily escape from them, for but moments earlier, Winifred had been on the rebuff of her fiance, and he hesitated not to put her in her place; and she well, not expecting him to react so harshly in public (though not directly so) was only barely healing from a smarting slap her husband to be had to graciously given to her but moments ago. And it might have only been in that moment, as she glared back defiantly at Avery that he might have been able to detect any sort of real pain inflicted upon her face (for she had done well to hide it, with what little time she had to conceal it with powder) as the poor girl glared back at Avery once more.

And oh! The poor man, to think he was so easily an outlet for her anger as she huffed haughtily at such a suggestion, but before she could even retort, her fiance she was trying to flee from arrived on the scene.

"Well, Lord Carwick, I see it is you who have finally caught my fiance. I have been seeking he rout this past song in hopes for a dance," Drake Gassir said with a cool finesse and cat like grin.

And at her fiance's cool but caddy words, Winifred whirled around from where she stood beside Lord Carwick, and did nothing to hide her outward cringe at her man, and the narwahl took no pity in this as she interjected her own words to this 'problem'.

"It seems you are to wed quite a pistol there, my good sir...?" ANd here Mrs. Ophen waited for his introductions, which Drake Gassir delightfully gave with a half-bent bow and taking of her hand.

"Why, I do not believe we have ever properly met, but I am Drake Gassir, tradesman in his own right." And he gave the most handsome of smiles towards the old woman that even made her and the weasel cat blush. "Might I have the pleasure of your acquaintance this eve?"

The narwahl, though flattered, was only partially impressed, fanned herself off with a laugh.
"Lady Averina Delia Ophen," she said with a flutter of her eyes, and despite Winifred knowing there was no competition there (though even if there was, she'd hardly care) found herself gritting her teeth even more as she gripped onto the lace both she and Avery were now clinging to in this awkward moment, just watched as the two others exchanged social proprieties; and even the weasel cat got in beneath his charms, and as he laughed it off and tried to return his attentions back to his fiance, extending out an arm for her to take as he requested at the behest of her, a dance, she notably flinched back and found herself suddenly clinging onto Avery's arm.

"Oh, but where would proprieties be? Lord Carwick had offered to assist me in helping with my tattered garb, for before you had joined us, my fiance," she said with some bite, "Mrs. Ophen heel had the unfortunate consequence to tear into my train, and for the world of me, I'd hate to shame myself with tattered lace on the dance floor. So perhaps you could oblige these women with the next song while I fix myself on your behalf, so that we can dance more properly. After all, think of all the commotion there might be if a man of your stature were to dance with a tattered angel."

Though Drake knew well the game she played, he laughed along with her to save face, and did not hide his scrutiny as his dark eyes took in Lord Carwick with quickness, but sharpness as well.
"Yes, but really, my dear, would you trouble a Lord over such an untrifling matter?" he spoke back to her, with almost the same richness and bite as he batted his dark lashes at the pair, almost laughing off the idea. And at his retort, Winifred sucked in a sharp breath and found herself unbeknowingly pressing up more closely towards Lord Carwick, who, only from his perspective, he might have seen her flinch and perhaps, note the anger and fear, as she stood there, not knowing whether she should laugh along and let her damn fiance win her back, or if she should continue on with this game, which could very well end with both of them being quite embarrassed; especially if it ended quite as badly as their scrap from earlier....

And they were not the only ones enduring quite an odd set of circumstances, for Lord Davishire was growing even redder at Lady Treyburn's jests, having found himself quickly buried in a circumstance for which he was unfamiliar, and his breath grew haughty as the pair continued to dance.
"I hardly see the reason to dash out all such propriety," came his retort sharply as he sighed within the dance, but kept himself somehow composed, perhaps it was due to him being intrigued by such a girl- after all, no one would have such the gall to treat him in such a manner, had he never shown such 'weakness' as he was doing now with Lady 'Illi' Treyburn.
"After all, there is a reason and a place for it, but perhaps not for it all." And again he found himself sighing needfully in order to save face in such a circumstance, for once again, he was quieted by her antics, a sort of reaction a man like he was not used to.

And as Davina took in what Jana said, her brows raised up even higher on her forehead as she observed the other's reactions and took it only to mean the poor angel clearly had it's heart set on Illi Treyburn, which, thankfully for her, meant she had no real worries for Illi and Davishire in that moment as she nodded to oblige.
"I think wine would do quite well for now," she told him with a bow, and waited for 'him' to lead the way. It was definitely... an 'interesting' piece of information, but nothing she herself, could use in her other wise predatory like view on the nobles she could still choose to sample from before selecting a mate. After all, picking a husband, and the right one, was such a tireless chore that, for Lady Davina, was taking quite a number of years to achieve....

And as the dance ended, Lady Valia found herself still quite stunned as Trevian's voice remained as an echo as he smiled and left her to be. Keeping a hand to her chest, she thought over his words carefully before her pink eyes went to seek him out quietly in the receding crowd....

And it was here the Grand Duke thought it necessary to be seen at his wife's side; after all, at such an event, the pair were presumed to make face for most of the evening, so when he approached his wife through the sea of dancing guests, he hadn't been quite prepared that she'd be ready to introduce him to a new acquaintance, and though he knew somewhat of the Treyburn reputation, found himself staring, just half off-guard at the man before nodding his head subtly at the introduction and offering out his own hand in 'hello'.

"It is good to make your acquaintance. I have heard good things about your father." Though naturally, anyone supporting of the military would be at least half seen in the good graces of the Grand Duke himself... even if he himself, were no longer alive and known quirks aside, the Grand Duke did not seemed phased.
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Vivi

As far as Oscar was concerned, this point of the evening was over, at least for now. As such, he was mildly confused at the suddenly broad smile on the Duchess's face. He did not have long to wait to find out why. He whirled at the familiar name, eyes widening behind his mask at the stag that had appeared unnoticed behind him. They were both tall men - of the same height, in fact - and yet it felt for a moment as though the Duke towered over the younger man, staring wordlessly for one long, heart-stopping moment before he held out a hand.

"Th-the feeling is mutual, Your Grace. I thank you." He accepted the hand with as much grace as he could muster, silently convinced that his face had drained of all its blood. "M-my father would have been pleased to hear it." All conjecture, obviously. Oscar wasn't sure if his father had ever been pleased about anything. "The, ah, the Grand Duchess was kind enough to honour me with a dance. I promise she is intact, no damages!"

What? Where had that come from? For Ansgar's sake Oscar, don't sass-mouth the Duke!

zozee9

Illi raised her eyebrows and was prepared to tease him a little bit more to break through that tough skin of his before she realized that she already had done so. No wonder he was so stiff—both in words and in form! Blushing, she wondered if she maybe should have stopped pushing him out of his comfort zone earlier.

With an apologetic smile, she lightheartedly replied, "Well, Lord Callister it is, then. Unless Lord Davishire would be deemed acceptable? I'm sorry, but my family doesn't deal much with traditions." She paused before adding, "I guess I'm making excuses now, but oh well. Can't have you thinking to lowly of me. Anyway, I'm not quite the social butterfly so normally when I go to social events like this, I'm swarmed by my mother's 'friends' who just insist I call them by their first names. Until I sneak off into a library to read by myself, of course." But that wasn't what happened this time around—not at all. Of course, she also came to this event determined to socialize. After all, she was already twenty-six... and balls were special occasions. Especially in times like this.

She laughed and continued, "I'm ranting again, aren't I? I'm sure there are many more things you would like to talk about than my lack of social life." Well, there were many more things that she would like to talk about, so now he was stuck with it. "How about this—you ask me any question and I'll answer it. And then I get to ask you something. Ah, but here's the catch: we both have to answer every question. So don't ask something you aren't willing to answer yourself. How does that sound?" It seemed like a good enough way to get to know him.

Jana took Davina's arm and they walked together over to the wine. She poured some for both of them, handing the first glass to the lady she was with. In all honesty, she would have preferred if Davina had lost all interest in her. Jana got the feeling that no important information would be stolen from her lips. Nonetheless, she would have to keep up her gentlemanly persona.

"So, Milady, have memories returned to that brilliant mind of yours? Or shall we wish that this fine wine brings them back?" Jana asked, feigning curiosity while truly trying to think of a story that she would be able to use if Davina tried to get her to tell her what she was supposed to be remembering. Or perhaps she would just evade it. Evading seemed like the better option.
Characters: Alycia | Sky | Kayala | Elaina | Alexandra | Piper | Gage AND Heather | Zeina | Elizabeth | Mera | Darya | Fiara | Tanya | Meki | Vivian | Lali | Nyimi | Jillian | Cedric | Jana | Duncan | Zara | Marie | Rora | Koraq | Xiana | Sevda | Nava | Na'il | Bambina | Micheovi | Nitya

If I owe you a post (which I probably do), sorry... I'll get you one as soon as I can! <3 Message me if you're in a rush or want one.

visualspice

The Grand Duke raised his brows at the man's comment, but said nothing to Oscar as he peered over at his wife.
"So it would seem." He'd let Kathryn smooth over any delicacies here, for Calent himself, (and it was known so) could be quite rigid and almost unreadable in his emotional responses, and it was as suc in this moment, his face indifferent but the air, somewhat tense!

And the air was tense elsewhere as Davishire gaped back at the woman at such a suggestion as a game!
"To be honest, I'd rather not," he retorted with a bitter frown. "And I'd feel more comfortable back in the study myself, had I not felt so unwelcomed." Yes, Illi would find it most difficult indeed to get a  man such as he to play any sort of game, for hte girl was lucky enough they were dancing, that was, until the song suddenly came to an end as he sighed. Though he seemed reluctant to leave the dance floor as such, as he kept her beneath his gaze but bowed to her rigidly.
"The dance was nice." And what else was there more to say, as other dancers shuffled and exchanged between one another as the next song had already begun, but there were the pair, standing on the dance floor, unmoving. Were they to share another dance- or was this the end to their awkward shenanigans?

Though Davina kept an eye on the pair, she was most curious as to why Davishire was staring like a dope and not even dancing, so she had to wonder- what sort of affect was this Treyburn girl having on her brother? She might have to intervene...
and it was only Jana's words that drew her back to her angelic partner as she smiled as cooly as she could."I wish for wine, and lots of it," she pressed, for she might need it if she had to dirty her hands over actually interacting with such a family as the Treyburns. To think, she had avoided them thus far and she might have to actually talk to one of them this evening! Think of the gossip over that! Not just ONE Callister speaking to Illi, but TWO! And for their reputation, Davina tredded lightly, for she just wished the fate of their family truly did not rest on her elder brother's shoulders! Her younger brother, Devin, she thought, the one whom she easily puppetted, was obviously much more suitable for the throne of Hellvion! Davishire was just so hard to steer!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

zozee9

Illi's frown matched Davishire's own as he rejected her offers. He said he was having fun, only to ruin the spirit of the night. Was he simply lying about his claims of happiness earlier? She stood still after the dance ended, her mind still processing his words.

But once the words were processed, she finally snapped. "Fine. I'm sorry I made you feel unwelcome, even if my greatest wish was to get you to have a good time. But seeing as I have already destroyed this night on multiple levels, maybe I will just go and read a book. It's a rotten dance, anyway." No, it wasn't. She still wanted to dance. But it no longer felt like the right time or the right way or just plain right.

With a small curtsy, Illi said, "It was nice to meet you, Lord Callister." Then she flipped around and started towards the study again, not even caring that her words got her looks from some of the other party goers. But after passing by a couple of people, Illi twisted her head around and hesitantly added, "Though I must say, I would rather like it if you joined me." A blush spread across her face as she regretted adding in those last words—she was making such a fool of herself! But with nothing else to do, she went to the study.

Jana scoffed at the scene (though the words were not heard) and glanced at Davina as she replied, "Well, it seems like your dear brother messed that one up, anyway." She was tempted to go after Illi, but knew that wouldn't be good for either of them. Instead, Jana just hoped one of the other Treyburns saw the poor girl.

kleineklementine

Avery might suffer some of the same prejudice as the old women, for when Lady Rosalina's fiance came up and introduced himself as a 'tradesman in his own right,' Avery unconsciously thought less of him. It wasn't that he thought people who weren't noble were less worthy, but he distrusted people who came about money by their own devices. Avery believed very much in the entrustment given to nobles to be responsible tenders of their land and the people who lived on it. He was raised with this sense of responsibility, and he didn't trust that people wealthy of independent means had the same sense of responsibility.

The feline grace with which he ingratiated himself to the two women only confirmed these feelings for Avery. But his feelings about 'new money' didn't wholly distract himself from the woman now clutching his arm (only moments after she'd demanded that he unhand her). He noticed the way she cringed away from her fiance, even if the movements were microscopic, and after noticing that, he began to read other clues in her demeanor. He might be entirely wrong, but Avery felt fairly certain that something was going on here, even if he wasn't sure exactly what it was. Ever the gentleman, he would, of course, take the side of the lady.

"Oh, not at all, Mister Gassir," he said affably. "I have two sisters; I know how serious a torn dress can be! And now you've raised the hopes of these two ladies," he inclined his head to Narwhal and Cat Weasel, "it wouldn't be fair of me to deprive them. Especially after I didn't have the good manners to offer a dance myself!"

Out of the corner of his eye, he couldn't help but notice the icy air with which Jillian Treyburn huffed out of the ball room. Seriously, could Davishire accomplish nothing on his own?

Ivory

Kathryn chuckled softly.  "It was a privilege to dance with someone with your grace.  My husband has many talents, but I'm afraid dancing is not among them."  He was much too rigid, much too fixated on the small details -- in public, at least.  "Lord Treyburn is working towards becoming a professor in Uthlyn.  He teaches students about the stars and some mathematics."

Trevian allowed the space between himself and the fair lady to grow as he made his way across the floor, although, just before he was to vanish into the crowd, he glanced over his shoulder to see if she was watching him...and, he saw with a smile, she was.  Allowing her to see it, he bowed politely to her, then stepped into the crowd to move away from the ballroom.  It was time to get some ice on that jaw before it turned purple!

Vivi

Oscar flushed deeply, but to his credit did not look away, determinedly keeping eye contact even as he shoved his foot into his mouth. Clearly his weak attempts at humour would not receive a reaction here, though the Grand Duchess was sweet enough to lift a little of the attention. Shooting her a supremely grateful look, he tried for a modest shrug. "You are took kind, Grand Duchess, b-but I'm sure his Grace has far more important things to do than I." He tried to smile at the Grand Duke. It didn't last. "A country is so much more complex than a class of youths, I'm sure."

visualspice

A subtle brow was raised at his wife's comment about his ability to dance, and though he knew himself a bit stiff, really, only he and his wife ever spoke of it so loosely, so it was the Grand Duke's turn to find himself moving uneasily within his boots. But at Oscar's statement, he simply nodded.

"Hardly, as you see, I'd find myself ill-suited for such a job. I'm sure the complexities of youth are something only a select few might master." Though he himself had not the time to even find out- for he still was without heir, or any child really, for that matter.
"THough I do not see myself as a teacher, I suppose it would be immodest of me to proclaim I have no skills in leadership, or else I would not find myself here." And he gestured towards the grounds all around them, surely it took a certain man to maintain this, and he did not hold that boast for long.
"So is your family fairing well?"
He supposed, to benefit his wife, he could maintain some semblance of small talk, even though he'd rather remain quiet and on his own...

But another individual felt the same, and the moment Illi left, Davishire found himself staring and inwardly cursing himself for the empty space before him. And when, after some time, another woman dared approach him to ask for a dance, he angrily shook his head at her and stormed away. To the study! Bloody hell if he just let the woman go so upset! And he had to wonder, as he was making his way out, how many times would he offend poor Miss Illi this evening?

Zero

Gabriel was annoyed. More than annoyed, really, but he was also weary. It had all happened so quickly, he was barely considered a man when a night of serious misjudgment had seen him engaged and then married in what seemed the blink of an eye. Truly, that wouldn't be so bad. The night of Valia's sixteenth birthday party had been more than enjoyable. So had their little misadventure afterwards, his father still reminded him from time to time that he'd acted a fool. Shortly after being wed he was made a father.

All of those things could have been wonderful. They should be wonderful. Gabe had found quite a remarkable woman to call his wife, and his son was beautiful and perfect(in the eyes of a proud father). Constant bickering made what should have been joy into misery. Where there had been a burning passion was quickly turning to ice. It pained him that Valia still behaved like some silly little girl. He hated seeing the way she flirted with other men, and the way they looked at her. It wasn't only that either. Valia seemed to have distanced herself from him since the baby.

That morning they had fought(again), and he'd come to find that his lovely wife had run off to the ball without him. Gabriel arrived in all his finery, his costume a blaze of red, gold, and pink. It had been designed specifically to compliment the one his wife had worn.  They were the god and goddess of love. Of course, when he arrived finding his wife was immediately put on hold, because there were several people to confront him. It seemed that Valia had enjoyed a very eventful evening. They had even expressed surprise that he had come at all.

Finding himself even more annoyed than before, his green eyes finally found his target. Gabriel watched the entire dance Valia and Lord Treyburn shared, rage simmering through him. The thought of walking up and punching the insolent man in the face crossed his mind, but Valia had endured enough public embarrassment for one evening. Instead he waited until the dance was finished and Lord Treyburn had moved far away.

Deftly he slipped through the crowd, a hunter stalking his prey. Once he was in position behind her, his hand came up to lightly touch her arm, his voice soft with a hint of disapproval. "Enjoying the ball just fine without me, I see."

visualspice

Whirling around, Valia's eyes went as wide as saucers as her heart went into her throat.
"Gabriel!"
She hadn't expected her husband to show up!

Zero

A flash of annoyance seared through emerald eyes but quickly faded away, although his mouth was set in a firm line of displeasure. Why did she have to be so disagreeable all the time?

"You act surprised to see me, my love. Did you think that after planning to attend with you that you running off would make me miss the ball? I'm afraid I'm not so easily discouraged."

There was no real malice in his voice, and he kept his words low and private, not wishing to draw attention to them. Valia had sent enough tongues waggling for one evening. Every hushed whisper made him cringe, he knew what they said about Valia, about his marriage to her.

visualspice

"Of course I'm.surprised,"she said with a huff of indignation. "Last I spoke to you, you and I were not in a  state of agreement." And her eyes narrowed at his before.she glanced away, finding herself red.faced and uneasy to.suddenly be under the scrutiny of her husband, and again the whisper of others.
"I just assumed you'd rather not be seen with me," she muttered softly, eyes still avoidant of his.

Zero

"Valia, when are we ever in agreement about anything?" A sparkle of amusement lit up deep green eyes, and his lips softened into a wry smile. She was always beautiful, but the way her face reddened just made her all the more irresistible, didn't it?

Stepping closer he raised a hand to lightly brush her cheek with his fingertips. "You're my wife, why wouldn't I want to be seen with you? Because we were fighting? Because of your drunken foolishness earlier? Because you were awfully friendly with the Lord Treyburn just now?" He sighed softly.

visualspice

Valia was.taken back by his affections and words. And as it had been since the baby, she was absolutely afraid  of what getting close to.him meant, for she hadn't been at.all prepared for the pains of child birth, or the responsibilities of motherhood, even when she had finally become more agreeable over the idea of marriage. At least she had wed a man who was to.inherit a title, and, also, had professed he loved her, something she might have secretly requited, but had never truly confessed to.him.  She always had found excuses not.to.commit to.him.with love, even when the first half a year they were very amarous.  but it turns out, child birth did not sit well with her, for even when she might have yearned  for affections, she turned cold the moment the baby would.scream! And why not? What was a mother to do with sucha monster as a baby?!

"I thought you'd.rather stay home with our son," was all she could.find herself retorting, always using the baby as a means to seperate them and alsk as a means to pass blame and even goad from.him a fresh argument, even if.she wasn't fully up.for the.task.

"Yes," Gassir said, blinking incredulously at Avery's words as he forced a smile under the circumstance in which Lord Carwick had backed him into. "Women are most fragile, and I must admit I will never understand why they fuss so much over lace. But I suppose even angel wings might need fixed, I can only trust you'll return my beautiful fiance to me after the next two dances, for I'd assume," he added, blinkingly, "That having such sisters you would know of a rather fast solution."

Zero

Gabriel honestly didn't know why Valia kept pushing him away, emotionally and physically. They had been quite a pair when they had first met, argumentative, yes, but also passionate. Now Valia only seemed interested in the arguing part. They didn't talk about it, they didn't talk about anything, they just argued and bickered and it frustrated him. So when she brought up the baby he groaned and his broad shoulders sagged slightly.

"Not this again, please Valia, I don't want to fight anymore, not tonight. Not here. I do enjoy spending time with our son, but not everything is about the baby. You're my wife. I want to spend time with you." Could she really not see that? Maybe she just didn't care; it was Valia, after all. He reached to gently take one of her hands in both of his, if she would let him. "I miss you. We used to enjoy each other's company. I'm trying so hard to make everything work, but I don't know what I'm doing wrong."

Vivi

"Oh?" It was unusual to see the Grand Duke discomfited, even if it was only for a moment, but Oscar pretended not to notice. Courtesies first, always courtesies first. No more sassing. "Well, they do take some practice to be sure, but both kinds of leadership are important, are they not? Maybe we are simply in the positions we deserve to be - n-not that I'm boasting at all. N-no, definitely not... but it is important for a man to be confident in his field."

But as if this wasn't surreal enough, the Duke had to attempt small talk. Damn it. Oscar swallowed. "Well enough." He said, with a rather hopeless shrug. "Although I daresay they're all finding plenty of entertainment tonight. We are a rather... merry lot. Still, I ah, doubt that there'll be a repeat performance of Lady Valia's predicament-" He hoped. Desperately, fervently hoped. "My siblings aren't nearly as unlucky as I am."

visualspice

Valia was taken back by his words, and for him to speak them so freely in public. She was hoping that, even if her husband were to attend, she'd be able to thwart such attempts by him, but it seemed it was to no avail, and Valia grew quiet as his words when the new dance started, and dancing couples began to flutter colorfully around them.

"Let's not argue here," Valia said sharply, her eyes wavering with the threats of tears. Really, she had had quite enough of being the talk of scandal for one night!

The Grand Duke outwardly frowned when Lady Valia's 'moment' earlier was brought up.
"Yes, it seems both you and Lady Valia have tremendous bad luck, though I think it would be wise and prudent not to dwell over the matter. After all, I'm sure there is more dancing to be had and the night has many more hours for all to enjoy."

Zero

Was she about to cry? Gabriel sighed; he didn't want to argue with her, all they did was fight. Here he was trying not to start anything with her and he had nearly brought her to tears. Maybe he shouldn't have come, it wouldn't have been so bad to just stay at home and enjoy a quiet evening. Of course his father would have scoffed at that idea. Was he becoming a recluse? It wasn't fitting for the son of a duke to forsake attendance at such a grand affair; although he found himself not really caring.

"Whatever you want Valia. It's always what you want." Stiffly he gave a formal bow to his wife, then turned and walked away. It seemed like he couldn't even be in her presence without starting an argument.