Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Reunion (Nomad)

Started by nahash, December 22, 2013, 08:22:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nahash

Soules relaxed at his desk enjoying a fresh cup of tea.  He gazed out the windows that overlooked the southern gates and vast plains beyond. Strewn across his desk was a large pile of letters and dispatches awaiting review and/or response. Glancing down, 'I should get on that sooner rather than later but they can wait a little longer' he though with a weary smile.  Things were calm at the moment which was a nice change of pace.  The conflict with the mages was taking up a lot of man power and with so many of the normal troops tied up patrols where slacking and the bandits, having noticed, were growing bolder.  On top of that, resources were in short supply.  There was much to be concerned about but Soules tried his best to push them out of mind for the moment.  The weather was nice, it was quit for a change, what he really needed was a good distraction.

Nomad

Ever since the day he had met Soules in the tavern on a rainy night, Irving had been giving much thought to what Soules had said, offering to join him at Riders Keep. He had toiled over the offer day by day as he thought of the pros and cons to it. Though he had not made a solid decision in the matter he had already set plans in motion to go to Riders Keep and see how things are, which had lead him to be on the road.

With the front gate of the fort nearing Irving looked to the gate and let out a soft sigh knowing his trip would soon be over now that his destination was growing closer. Though the first time he had met Soules he was not dressed in his military attire, this time he had chosen to wear his military attire given he had come on business so to speak.

Making his way to the front gate Irving comes to a stop as he looks to the two guards standing before him. " State your business. " One of the guards says as they both look at Irving. Shifting his gaze he glances to the guard for a brief moment as he begins to speak " I am here to see Captain Jolon, " Irving says as he looks at the guard that spoke to him. Their as a moment were the two guards spoke to each other before turning their attention back to Irving " Follow me, " one of the guards says before opening a door and leading Irving through the gate, leading Irving into the fort he sends word with another guard that someone was here to see the captain. Irving follows the guard as he leads the way in before he is told to wait for the Capitan.

nahash

Soules stood and walked to the gate as he saw a lone figure on the empty road leading to the fort.  He had to wonder who it could be; it was so unusual for someone to arrive by foot.  All of his men were cavalry so they were always on mounted and this far out in the sticks almost all visitors arrived by horse of carriage.  From his vantage point on the fifth floor he could see for a miles.  It was going to be a while before his guest arrive whoever they were and one of his people would alert his if need be.  With nothing to do but wait, Soules lend against the window casing and sipped his tea.

Having grown tired of watching the lone footman on the road Soules had decided to get a little work done.  He was in the middle of reading a correspondence when a knock came at the door.  "what is it" he called, glance up from the letter in his hand.

"Captain Jolon sir, you have a guest waiting for you in the first floor lobby" the steward replied through the door.

"Thanks, I'll be right down" Sloan said as he folded the letter and placed it on the top of the stack on his desk.  He got up from his desk and grabbing his jacket and saber from a rack near the door left his office.  Donning his jacket as he descended the stair, he was finishing straightening it out when he reached the bottom landing and saw Irving waiting in the lobby.  "Irving my good sir, I was wondering if you would pay us a visit" he said extending his arm in greeting.

Nomad

Having been taken to the first floor lobby where he figured Soules was Irving had nothing else to do but simply wait for the man he had come to see to show up so they could chat and talk about what Soules had brought up before about coming to Rider's Keep. As he waited he slowly shifted his gaze scanning the area round him as he remained in silence.

Upon hearing the voice of the man he had come to see Irving looked to Soules, greeting him with a warm and friendly smile as he reaches out and takes hold of Soules' arm in a greeting " I'm sorry, it took longer then I was hoping it would take. It is good to see you again. " Irving says as he looks at Soules, letting his arm drop back to his side once their greeting ended.

nahash

Soules grasp his guest forearm for a moment in the traditional greeting before releasing it as he took a half step back of get a better look at the man before him.  "And it is good to see you as well, you look well, how was the trip here?" he asked warmly.  With a wave of a hand he dismissed the steward leaving them alone in the lobby. 

Nomad

Looking at Soules, Irving nods his head faintly as he listens to the man speak. " My trip was well. Rather uneventful really. " he says with a faint nod, glancing to the steward for a brief moment before he shifts his attention and glances around. " I can see why you came back here, It is rather cozy looking. " he says with a faint grin as he turns his attention back to Soules. " I do hope I am not pulling you away from anything important. "

nahash

"There is always something important, that's the problem with being the man in charge, but for now it is nothing that can't wait and I could really use a break and some good news." He said with a wiry smile.  "You are right, for a military outfit it is very cozy here, this is the only place I have ever really felt at home.  Speaking of home, come let me show you around."  He continued, his smile turning warmer now that they were on a happy subject.  He swep his arm in a circular motion "This is the main keep, the first floor holds the kitchen, dining room, storage rooms.  If you want I can show you the upper floors or give you a tour of the grounds".

Nomad

Irving gives a faint nod as he listens to Soules assure him the matters he had to attend to could wait. It seemed like he was rather well off here in regards to having a place warm to stay during the night and a place to come back to, which is always a nice thing to have a place to call home or at least reside in. Listening to Soules as he continues to speak Irving again gives a nod to what the man is saying. As Soules swept his arm in a circular motion Irving glances away from him for a brief moment as he listened to Soules bring up the idea of having a tour. " I see. Perhaps a tour would be good. It will be nice to know my way around while I am here that way I'm not having to rely on others all the time. "

nahash

"We can start with the keep since we are already here and I'll take you by the kitchen to get a drink, you must be parched after such a long trip". He spoke as he made his way back to the archway that he had entered by.  "This is the south lobby it leads out to the grounds and the main stable, and through this archway is the common room which also severs as the dining hall."  He led the way into the common hall.

Four large archways marked the cardinal directions of the large round room.  The east and west archways were each flanked by two smaller portals.  In the center of the room was a large open hearth with a low burning fire in it.  The hearth was encircled by four heavy columns that were rotated 45 degrees relative to the entry ways. A second set of columns broke up the space half way between the first set and the outer walls.  "Across the way is the north lobby which exits out to the main gate and to the left and right you will see the main stairways leading up to the over floors.  There is always at least a small fire going in the central hearth, a lot of the men like to congregate there at night and to the right here we have the kitchen and food storage."  He said pointing to each item as he spoke about it.

Continuing on Soules turned right and made his way across the great room which was full of round tables.  Most were empty but a few held soldiers talking amongst themselves while relaxing and enjoying drinks.  Entering into the kitchen Soules went straight to a wall cupboard and grabbed two clay mugs.  "What would you like, we have fresh water and cold cider or if you are willing to wait I could make some tea"

Nomad

Listening to Soules speak again, bringing up the idea of getting a drink, Irving nodded at the idea. A drink did sound nice right about now. Following after Soules as he begins to lead the way Irving begins to shift his gaze as he scans the area around him. Having fallen into silence as he began to follow after Soules, Irving gets a look at the south lobby as he is lead into it.

As they come into the common room he begins to shift his gaze and look around, taking in everything around him. While looking around Irving could see him staying here though he knew he had to wait before making a final decision on the matter. Thus far from what he had seen the place was looking rather cozy. Irving glances to the stairs for a moment before turning his attention back to Soules as he begins to speak again.

While listening to Soules speak again Irving turns his gaze from the man and looks to the north for a moment as he makes mention of the main gate. Turning his gaze again he looks to each direction, left and right, getting a look at everything Soules spoke of. The idea of a fire always being going sounded like a good one, on cold nights a fire is always a nice thing to have close by.

Making his way across the great room with Soules Irving looked to the round tables, his gaze shifting from one to another as he took notice of a few soldiers sitting around drinking and relaxing while talking. As he stepped into the kitchen Irving glanced around again before turning his gaze back to Soules as he spoke up about what to drink. " Some water will be fine. " Irving says with a faint nod " And you are in charge of everything here? " He asks as he looks at Soules.

nahash

Soules filled a cup with cold water from a barrel.  The barrel was refilled daily from the well so the water was always fresh and clean.  He gave the cup to Irving than filled his with cider, taking a small sip as soon as he filled it.  The cider was fresh and crisp and cut right through thirstiness in the most satisfying way. He leaned against a nearby counter and watched Irving as he spoke.  "Yes I am at the top of the command structure here but most of what I do is delegate task to my officers, they handle most of the day to day operations." He said matter of factly.

Nomad

As Soules offers him the cup of water after filling it, Irving takes it from the man and takes a sip of the cool water. Lowering the clay mug he shifts his gaze from Soules and glances around for a brief moment. He could see himself up here, enjoying life in the outpost while doing his duty to protect and serve. While glancing around he takes another sip from the mug before turning his attention back to Soules upon hearing the man begin to speak again. Looking to Soules as he lowers the mug he listens to what the man has to say. " It sounds as if you have the easy job. " Irving says with a faint chuckle " And what kind of action do you see up here? " he asks before taking another sip of water.

nahash

He listened to Irving speak staring down into his cup as he though of an answer to his question. "Luckily we don't see a whole lot of action up here, mainly the stray bandit here or there.  We patrol the country side and act as a visual deterrent to would be thieves and work as peace keeping officers in the small farming villages around here.  Ajhfeld is poor compared to the rest of the country and can afford to keep troops stations in the towns like most of the provinces can."  He paused to take a drink.  "my bad, sorry for the long winded answer". He said with a chuckle.

Nomad

Lowering his clay mug he glances down at it, gazing at the contents of it for a moment as he listens to Soules as the man begins to speak again. Listening to Soules, it sounded as if he may be sitting around some of the time while doing peace keeping or bandit patrols the rest of the time. Lifting his gaze from the clay mug Irving looks to Soules and gives a faint nod to what the man had to say, a soft chuckle escaping him as he apologies for his long winded answer. " No need to apologies, " he begins, nodding his head faintly " So most of the time you and your men lounge around? "

nahash

"It is true that I do give them a little more down time than most forts but that is because they earn their rest.  They spend close to two weeks at a time in the saddle patrolling the country side.  I don't know if you have don't much riding but that much time on the wilderness where wear you out so when they are not on patrol I let them rest."  Soules replied good naturedly.  He finished his drink and placed his mug in an empty wash basin to be cleaned later.

Nomad

As Soules begins to speak, Irving falls into silence and listens to the man as he begins to explain the reason behind letting his men rest for so long. While listening Irving brings the mug up to his lips and takes another sip from the contents of the mug. As he drinks more of the water he mulls over what all Soules has to say. " I see. " Irving says with a faint nod after Soules had finished speaking. Taking one last sip from his mug, Irving sets it down before turning his full attention to Soules " How long do they have to rest for before going back on patrol? " Irving asks as he looks at Soules.

nahash

Soules noted that Irving had finished his drink while he spoke. "The normal rotation is two weeks in the field one week at the fort.  Even when they are at the fort it's not like a vacation they still have duties but I do run a relaxed ship so to speak."  Soules moved to the middle of the room "if you are done here I can show you the rest of the keep" he said as he moved towards the door.

He returned to the dining room than turned and started up one of the large stone staircases that were set into the sides of the central room.  The next landing on the stairs emptied into a room that was the same size and shape as the dining room below it.  The walls were lined with book cases full of old tomes.  The room was furnished with padded chairs each with their own side table and lamp.  A couple pairs of chairs flanked tables with chess boards and larger tables supported men playing card games.  Soules stepped off the landing and to the side to make room for Irving.