Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play
Main Menu

Game mechanic wishlist!

Started by Tally, January 02, 2014, 03:24:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tally

Post here with game mechanic related things you'd like to see in the game!  This is a top-down RPG game with pixel sprites, so keep that in mind when suggesting things!  No promises an any particular thing making it in—but I will do my best!

THE WISHLIST

CONFIRMED IN-GAME

• no weight capacity limits
  • easter eggs!!
  • crafting/cooking - collecting/buying materials to make stuff

ALREADY SUGGESTED

• relationship system
  • multiclassing/subclassing - gain all or some benefits of a second class
  • cosmetic items - to change character appearance without changing stats
  • class change/evolution - you get to a certain level, then get to pick between two awesome new classes
  • weapon upgrade system - like, blacksmiths or something who can upgrade your existing weapons and armor
  • alignment system - one that doesn't make Tal go cross-eyed with annoyance!
  • achievements! - LOVE this idea, if I can make it happen, I will

Brisinger987

Easter Eggs - You go to certain towns and locations and there are small in jokes that people will recognise as other games (or in our case, site wide jokes, like the beard war.)

Anadwen

crafting - obtain resources by a vendor, then craft your own unique armour and weapons.
and food, which would boost one's stats for a while.

Nomad

Multi Classing - Where you take on a second class, you can either gain the full benefit of the second class or some of it depending on the class system.

Zane

This exclusion of carryweight. Overincumberedness makes me rage

Winters-Feather

THE GAME TO BE DONE ;D

um. how about... relationships? it can be minor i guess but if you do something a certain way you can get a character angry.. . or have pairs of sub quests and you can only complete one of them, and that would effect your reactions with the others?  (so for example A wants you to kill B , B wants you to kill A..  your decision determines whose funeral it is and what loot you get)

that's probably WAY too much but little things might be kinda cool. hows learning the program going anyway?

Tally

Quote from: Brisinger987 on January 02, 2014, 03:32:43 PM
Easter Eggs - You go to certain towns and locations and there are small in jokes that people will recognise as other games (or in our case, site wide jokes, like the beard war.)
This should be super easy and definitely a hundred percent awesome!

Quote from: Nomad on January 02, 2014, 09:35:37 PM
Multi Classing - Where you take on a second class, you can either gain the full benefit of the second class or some of it depending on the class system.
I've been impressed with a subclass system I've found and may use that. (8

Quote from: Anadwen on January 02, 2014, 03:35:57 PM
crafting - obtain resources by a vendor, then craft your own unique armour and weapons.
and food, which would boost one's stats for a while.
Sounds like a good idea, especially if we do the weapon upgrading this could go hand in hand with that.

Quote from: Sir Zane on January 02, 2014, 09:53:44 PM
This exclusion of carryweight. Overincumberedness makes me rage
Eww, carry weight limits. >_o So annoying.  Yeah, I don't want those either.

Quote from: Winters-Feather on January 02, 2014, 11:12:13 PMum. how about... relationships? it can be minor i guess but if you do something a certain way you can get a character angry.. . or have pairs of sub quests and you can only complete one of them, and that would effect your reactions with the others?  (so for example A wants you to kill B , B wants you to kill A..  your decision determines whose funeral it is and what loot you get)
Good idea, will try to do something like this!

Quote from: Winters-Feather on January 02, 2014, 11:12:13 PMhows learning the program going anyway?
It's both remarkably simple and surprisingly powerful. o__o I put together a tiny demo for Rhi in like three days.  It just used all the default stuff from the software, but getting it all to function was way easier than I expected.

Anadwen

Not a turn-based combat system. Instead of taking turns like in some RPGs, you would attack your enemy straight away and start smashing skill buttons to kill it as fast as possible - and so would the enemy.

I found turn-taking skill system very annoying and I liked how some RPGs solved their battle system (LotRO etc).

Also, I hope it will be possible to zoom in and out, change camera angle and switch between 1st and 3rd person view, if I'm not asking for too much.

Tak

The ability to choose from a variety of races!

Oh, and there should be Demon and Angel armor, which are equal on best-in-the-game!

And Pets! And riding dragons! And meeting Gods (As in Baihua and Defteroi, pointed out individually for no reason what-soever ;) )! And the ability to hoard cheese! And every NPC should have a quest tied to them! And you should have the guard from Skyrim who used to be an Adventurer like you, but then he took an arrow to the knee! And- *runs out of battery*

Anadwen

Yeah, and NPCs that would send you on a seemingly pointless quest, crack jokes, or in other ways acted in amusing ways.

And raids/instances - where you are set on a fight in a certain location, smash a lot of mobs, and receive rewards in the end. It doesn't have to be done in a group, it goes alone, too.

Certain classes could have pets and/or soldiers to help them, too.

Tak

There shouldn't be classes. You shouldn't be restricted by it. If you're a mage and find a wicked sword, you should be able to swap instantly.

Anadwen

no, there should be classes. if you learn a skill that is specific for a mage and requires a staff, you shouldn't be able to use a sword for it. it would be unnatural and not good for the game.

Tak

Quote from: Anadwen on January 03, 2014, 02:41:12 AM
no, there should be classes. if you learn a skill that is specific for a mage and requires a staff, you shouldn't be able to use a sword for it. it would be unnatural and not good for the game.

I'm saying that you should be able to use a sword even if you have all the skill in magic, Even though you will suck at the sword.

Anadwen

Quote from: Tak on January 03, 2014, 02:48:57 AM

I'm saying that you should be able to use a sword even if you have all the skill in magic, Even though you will suck at the sword.

No, I don't think so. I think skills should require specific weapons to be used - for example, skills with melee weapons couldn't be done with a bow, and skills for magic damage shouldn't be able to be done with a greatsword.

Tak

Quote from: Anadwen on January 03, 2014, 02:53:17 AM
Quote from: Tak on January 03, 2014, 02:48:57 AM

Read what I said. I'm not disagreeing with you.
No, I don't think so. I think skills should require specific weapons to be used - for example, skills with melee weapons couldn't be done with a bow, and skills for magic damage shouldn't be able to be done with a greatsword.

Brisinger987

Guys, no arguing.

Another suggestion:

Afflictions/Disease System - The player character should be able to be afflicted with minor poisons that are obstructions to normal gameplay, or even minor diseases that hinder the player! I don't know if the system would allow for something that complex, but it would make it interesting.

Anadwen

Quote from: Brisinger987 on January 03, 2014, 07:19:14 AM
Afflictions/Disease System - The player character should be able to be afflicted with minor poisons that are obstructions to normal gameplay, or even minor diseases that hinder the player! I don't know if the system would allow for something that complex, but it would make it interesting.

yes, buffs/debuffs like poison and disease are a good idea.

but it would be also helpful if there were things to get rid of them.

Brisinger987

lol obviously, no-one wants a message that is basically saying "you're now poisoned for the rest of the game! Enjoy!"

Zane

Another something that would be extremely difficult to pull off but be awesome. Some form of morality system, which if it doesnothibg else, effects how characters interactwith the PC (this wiuld go really well with a renown/infamy system)

Anadwen

yeah, but get rid of them before the effect wears off and disappears by itself.