Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Cathedral Conundrums

Started by Zero, February 25, 2014, 05:15:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zero

"Go on with what?" Lillian asked, partially confused. "It isn't my place to question the Grand Duke or his policies, only to enforce them. Whether I think he is right or wrong makes no difference. It is much the same for wives, they can disagree with their husbands, but they are expected to hold their tongue and support him no matter his decisions."

It was how she'd been raised, and she knew that many girls were raised the same. Men made the decision, women were expected to accept those choices, regardless of how they felt. "Like becoming a Knight of the White Lily. We don't choose it, we're chosen. How we feel about it is irrelevant. Surely you know all this, Duke Harmond."

visualspice

"Yes, I know it," he said haughtily. What Connloathian didn't? "But it doesn't mean I care, or support it. But I guess like every dog, I do what I'm told."
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Zero

Did he really mean that? Lillian eyed Blaith with a soft air of suspicion. Was he trying to lull her into saying something that could be used disgracefully against her family? She'd already said too much, really. Even suggesting that she didn't agree with the Grand Duke was pretty bad.

"Forgive me if I find it hard to picture you as a dog 'doing what he's told', Duke Harmond." She replied honestly. There was a fierceness to his pale blue eyes, and he obviously didn't approve of Calent, perhaps he was trying to feel out how her father felt about the Grand Duke. "You remind me of my father." She blurted suddenly. Micah Coleridge didn't take kindly to cowering beneath anyone's boot, and she knew her father was growing impatient with the Grand Duke's policies.

visualspice

Blaith shot a sharp gaze her way before looking at the open field of 'pedicured' greens that lined the park in the middle of the city. His voice grew silent for a while as they rode onward; and what turned out to be an invitation to an afternoon of riding was quickly turning into a soured political debate. His silence wasn't because of her, but because of himself, and he was trying his damnest to  swallow back his anger, but it radiated from his form like a flame.

"Then I feel sorry for your father," he murmured, tightening the reigns as he gave a sharp kick to the side of his horse and let the horse race with him forward into a gallop across the field. It felt freeing to have the winds rush against him- and helped cool off the demons that were rising to take their claim. But thye remained at bay, simmering just beneath his surface while he continued to fight to take a hold of himself- if it was even him who was doing the fighting anymore.
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Zero

Frustration was mounting. Lillian had wanted to improve Blaith's mood, and had hoped riding with him would accomplish that, but she only seemed to anger him with each attempt at engaging him in discussion. Though she was scowling at what he'd said. Feel sorry for her father? Nobody felt sorry for her father. He was a great man.

Duke Harmond raced across the field, and Lillian let him. The beautiful white mare was reigned in to a prancing trot as she let Blaith leave her behind. At a gallop it would be hard to hold a conversation, and frankly her confidence and spirit was wilting. She'd been raised better than this. What a fool, talking politics with a duke of all people. She was a woman, and she ought to start behaving as one. Surely Duke Harmond wanted the company of a lady on this ride, not the rambling company of a knight.

visualspice

It was a good long while before Blaith slowed his horse down to a trot, and then full stop beneath a  small grove of tall trees, which afforded ample shade from the sun and tall sweet grasses for his horse to munch on. Stroking the horse's long white mane, he peered over at Lilly's form some distance from his as she chewed on the inside of his mouth, but waited patiently for her to catch up. It was best for him to get that out of his system now while he still could. It wasn't Lilly's fault what occured in his life and grated at him-
and it surely wasn't her fault he was suffering in madness now.

As she drew near he swung one boot over the side of the saddle and dismounted and worked at tethering his horse in silence. He still had a lot to cool off over, and a lot to think about.

Zero

Considering how poorly their ride seemed to be going, Lillian didn't attempt to catch up to him in a great hurry. A lot of things were being turned over in her mind. How she missed being at home, how she thought bitterly that Evelyn would have known how to steer a man from dark to lighter thoughts, and of course, trying to come up with something to talk about that wouldn't have the duke continuing on in a foul mood.

He'd stopped at a nicely shaded spot, good for the horses, and them, honestly. He dismounted as she approached and she again noticed how regal he was. Of course he was, he was a duke, Lillian should expect nothing less. Indeed, his handsome figure was only spoiled by the knowledge of his anger.

Dismounting gracefully she tethered the borrowed mare a suitable distance from the stallion, keeping her mouth shut for a change as she stroked the beautiful white neck before giving it a gentle pat. "She's a beautiful mare, thank you for allowing me her use." It was a timid attempt to rekindle speech.

visualspice

"But of course," he told her, forcing a small smile. "Any time, my Lady Coleridge." ANd he gave a short nod her way, each step as calculating and precise as all nobles practiced since their youth.
"Would you care to join me for a walk against the river? Sometimes the sound of water sooths my temper-" he said, clasping his hands behind his back as he gave her a partial sheepish look as he added, "And I do apologize for that. I've never been one who could easily keep his emotions in check."
He did, after all, easily wear his emotions.

Zero

Honestly, after how angry she seemed to make him, Lillian was not expecting an invitation to walk with him, and her surprise showed clearly on her face. The apology and somewhat sheepish look he gave her was kind of shocking too. A somewhat timid smile replaced her surprised expression. "I'd love to join you, and it is fine. I would rather see honest anger than false enjoyment."

Her father had said that Blaith Harmond was a rather passionate man, but she'd never known if that was supposed to be a compliment or not. Micah Coleridge had strong beliefs, but his control of his emotions was masterful much of the time. Lillian had tried for many years to control her emotions as well as her father, but when she was happy it was near impossible to remain passive in her expression.

visualspice

"Sometimes I forget myself when I am honest, and sometimes I find it difficult to be so."
It was a cruel thing, really- but no one would understand and it still bothered him, even as a few voices, deep down, had his blue eyes glancing towards Lilly with hunger. But the symbol on her armor drew her back- brought forth rage, which actually was sobering and helped him cling onto the fabrics of his own mental brain wave.

He shook off whatever it was and offered out his arm. She'd be safe from his touch anyways. He always wore layers.

Zero

Lillian actually raised her brows in surprise as Blaith said he found it hard to be honest at times. Gabriel said one of the traits of a great ruler was honesty. Of course her father seemed to thrive on carefully constructed deception. Lillian didn't like disagreeing with her father about anything, but in this case, she thought perhaps her brother was right. Honesty was genuine and something to strive for.

She took his offered arm with a practiced smile. The response was almost automatic. "You seem as if you could use a distraction from your troubles, Duke Harmond. Why don't we forget politics and the war for a time and talk of more pleasant things." The smile that had been habit turned to one that was easy and natural. "Do you like gardens? My mother kept fabulous gardens. Would you care to guess which flower was her favorite?" She asked almost in a playful, teasing tone.

visualspice

"Indeed, a distraction is most welcome," he assured her, a more amicable smile now cutting across his face. "And having a distraction so lovely and patient is more than I can ask for." He bowed his head to her and began to lead her off, the manicured fields stretching aroudn them for miles. And at her comment, his smile became softer, and he answered her smartly, "Daffodils."

Zero

Lillian was ecstatic. Finally she had found a way to ease the tension from her companion. Seeing the way he smiled now, it sent a thrill through her. Of course calling her lovely and patient did add to her pleasure immensely, and she rewarded him with a positively dazzling smile.

His smart answer to her question had her jade eyes flashing merrily a moment later. "Come now, Duke Harmond, I've heard you were a very clever man, surely you can do much better than daffodils. Would you like a hint?"

visualspice

Blaith's grin grew just the slightest bit as he shook his head at the offer of help and guessed again.
"Rosemary."

Zero

"I believe that is a herb, not a flower." Lillian giggled softly, enjoying the little guessing game. Especially since it seemed to have the desired effect of lightening Blaith's mood.

visualspice

"But the herb has flowers," he told her wistfully. "How about a rose?" he asked, reaching towards a nearby rose bush as he removed a hidden knife and cut one free from a bush as they past before handing her the delicate red flower with a subtle bow- even as his boots were brushing against a patch of lilies.

Zero

That the herb flowered was not the point. Lillian had asked specifically about flowers. If it wasn't for his sudden question and his retrieval of a lovely red rose, she'd have argued the point with him. Her smile softened as she accepted the gift, bringing it appreciatively to her nose to breath in the floral scent as her jade eyes looked up at him slyly. "Thank you, but you're still incorrect." Her tone was almost coy, obviously enjoying their game.

visualspice

"I dunno," he said, holding her gaze as he smirked. "I still think you're lying about Daffodils."

Zero

Lillian gave a mock show of being offended. "Why I would never do such a thing! How rude of you to imply I would lie to the respectable Duke Harmond of Turgall." If the playful resonance of her voice didn't let him know she was teasing, the way she grinned certainly would.

visualspice

He grinned at her retort and leaned closer towards her as he informed her, "But the only person it would be fun enough to tease would be the person you're not supposed to." And he paused as his eyes moved, as if reading her green ones like a book. "And I know it's lily," he told her before moving away studiously down the trail.