Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Cathedral Conundrums

Started by Zero, February 25, 2014, 05:15:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zero

So somehow this became something for Spice! 8D
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This was the largest, grandest church in all of Reajh. All of Connlaothian nobility and royalty attended this church when they were within the capitol, and it was the church that the Grand Duke himself took his religious services in. It was no wonder; the sweeping cathedral ceilings depicted a mural of the rise of Ansgar, as well as that of the saint of the Knight of the White Lily. The very finest architects and craftsmen in all the kingdom had built and carved it, and the greatest artists had decorated it. Everywhere you looked the light glinted of a gilded surface.

It was perhaps the most beautiful building that Lillian Coleridge could think of in the entire world. Her father had brought her here when she was a child, on those rare state visits to Reajh. The church the Coleridge family attended in Orchy was certainly beautiful and grand, but not like this, not even close. Over the past five years this had become her church. Most of the Knights of the White Lily came to this church; it was just expected, really. She knew many Mordecai, knights, and high-ranking officers of the military also attended this church, as well as Reajh's wealthier citizens.

Not that Lillian really minded. Her family had always been extremely religious and conservative. Still, something left her feeling homesick today as service ended and people began to leave or mill about, chatting with people they knew. Normally it would be a crowded and noisy affair, but attendance was down with the war, and those that did stay spoke in hushed whispers in small groups.  Most of her fellow White Lilies left immediately after service ended. Many of them probably had work to do. Lillian didn't have another patrol or any chores to worry about until tomorrow

Sighing softly the young woman leaned forward, folding her arms on the pew in front of the one she was seated at, resting her chin on her arms as she gazed up at the great statue of Ansgar behind the pulpit. Jade eyes occasionally glanced at the well-dressed nobles that milled about, a small part of her envying the women in their silken dresses. She'd loved dressing up in silk and lace before being sent to train to become a White Lily. Sometimes she still thought it was unfair that someone like her had been given such a gift. To what purpose did her life serve as an Adhara? She didn't like hurting people, and that seemed to be what her entire reason for being was anymore – to bring pain and suffering.

Hunting mages was an emotionally exhausting task. They didn't really look, sound, or behave differently than other people. It was hard for her to swallow the justification given for ruining these people's lives, for breaking apart families, for shipping people to horrible camps when their only crime had been to simply exist. Still, she was a Coleridge, and a Coleridge did not falter in their duty just because of something as petty as it being hard.

More and more people left, wandering off to return to their self-absorbed lives; or leaving together for whatever purpose. Lillian remained seated until she was very nearly alone in the church. After so long sitting on a hard bench her back creaked more than a little as she stood. Stretching a bit she looked around, wondering what to do with herself. Without any assigned duties she felt kind of lost and alone in Reajh. This wasn't her home in Orchy, she probably had more enemies in this city than she could care to count – although technically they would be her father's enemies, she supposed.

There wasn't really a reason to stay any longer. Everyone had left or was leaving, and she didn't think she would find any answers to the doubts in her heart. Smoothing down the quilted, dove grey tunic bearing the white lily of her order, she started slowly down the aisle, heading for the exit. Maybe she should do some practice in the garrison sparring yard.

visualspice

In the last row, in the last pew sat a man dressed as any other- except for a few subtle trinkets that might have distinguished he was not only from Turgall, but a Duke. But his choice of clothing got him no notice- and the feeling radiating from his form warned others to leave him alone- for he was in dark clothing- a cloak over his head- (which was odd for being inside a building) and his form was stooped over as he was on bended knee in prayer.

Though it was hard to tell if this man was really praying or not- but one thing was for certain, the candle light caught just enough off his face to showcase the glistening tears as they fell. No one normally approached a solitaire man in mourning- or so that's what it would seem Blaith Harmond- Duke of Turgall, was doing as he kept on his knee and shivered once against the pew.

He didn't care his tears were running down his nose, nor dripping onto the floor, or soiling the sides of his heavy sleeves. He didn't care that everyone passed him- treated him like a shadow, for he wanted to be alone. But too many times did he wonder who he really was anymore- and with his twin sister missing, he had no one left to turn to.

No one understood his pain. No one could know his secret-
and even he had  hard time telling fact from fiction as he raised a hand and cupped it over his eyes. Even as grown as he was, he could not stop his emotions from getting the better of him-
But at least this time his emotions were that of his own,a nd that was just another reason for his misery.

For Blaith Harmond was utterly alone.
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Zero

Had the church still been crowded and noisy, Lillian could have easily passed right by the shadow of a man in the last pew near the back of the church. As it was, her jade eyes slid over him, taking in his clothing, the way he hunched up as he knelt, and she very nearly did keep walking. Everything about the man seemed unwelcoming, but something tugged at her attention. Stopping to stare at him, for several moments she couldn't decide what exactly had caught her attention so.

This was obviously a man in deep emotional or spiritual pain, she could practically feel it like a black cloud hanging over him. Scowling softly she approached tentatively, eyes roaming over him with an innocent curiosity, as well as concern for him. Once she was close enough she realized why her attention had been captured. She could see the sigils of Turgall on his person, and she thought she recognized him from what she could see of his face.

The young woman kept a respectful distance of a few feet before kneeling, keeping her head bowed. It had been a long, long time since she had seen this man, but dusting off memories of her childhood Lillian had been able to recall his face and name. As the daughter of a Duke it was part of her duty to know the names and faces of other nobility and royalty.

"Duke Harmond? Are you alright?" The words came out soft, and she didn't really look at him, instead focusing on looking forward towards the front of the church. It would have been terribly rude to stare at his public...display.

visualspice

With a hand poised over his eyes, it left his lips still exposed as he grimaced at the sound of a voice. Though it was not familiar- somehow this woman knew who he was.
"Do I look alright?" the voice came out firm, a bit gruff; but his voice had been dry and coarse from crying. He didn't even bother to look at her.
"But last time I checked, the church was an open place for the needy."
And he was in definite need of some help.
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Zero

Lillian had the good grace to blush softly. Perhaps it had been a foolish question, he obviously wasn't alright. She had no idea why he was weeping in a church, but it really wasn't any of her business. There had just been the urge to come over and offer him company, if nothing else. If he was mourning shouldn't someone have been there to comfort him?

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to...of course you're not alright. I just...can I help?" Her voice had become timid and shy. This was one of those moments when she didn't feel much like a woman, more like a silly, fumbling little girl. Next to Duke Harmond she was just a silly girl, indeed, the last time she'd seen him she hadn't even flowered yet. He probably wouldn't even remember her.

visualspice

Blaith laughed, but it quickly faded on his lips. He kept his head lowered.
"I don't know if you can help me. I'm not sure even Ansgar can. Not unless you can change fate, change my mind- or break it- I don't know. Maybe it's already broken." He gave another soft breathy laugh before finally turning towards her. She didn't look at all familiar as he made a face.
"How is it that you know me, girl?"

Zero

Something about the laughter sent chills up Lillian's spine, and his words only further alarmed her. What was he talking about? Broken minds? The thought that he might be insane only flickered through her briefly. He obviously needed help. Any help.

His second laugh made her shudder slightly, but he had turned to look at her at last. The young woman tilted her head, glancing at him through half-lidded eyes, he'd be able to see her face more clearly, but it was pretty obvious he didn't know her. Not surprising, she had expected as much. Blaith Harmond didn't look all that different than the last time she'd seen him, a touch older, perhaps, but still recognizably the same man. She on the other hand, had matured from a mere child into a woman.

"I'm not surprised you don't remember me. I remember you, though. It's...Lillian Coleridge. You're probably more familiar with my father, Duke Micah Coleridge - or my older siblings, Gabriel and Evelyn."

visualspice

"Ah.... yes," he said with a nod at the recollection, and moved a thick, gloved hand to wipe away his tears. He flashed her a smile. "I'm surprised you ever grew up. I always envisioned you'd be the sort to stay young forever."

Zero

Ah, so he did remember, now that she'd jogged his memory with her name. Lillian rewarded his smile with a rather brilliant one of her own, the kind that really made her jade eyes light up and sparkle. "What sort stays young forever? Everyone grows up, if they're fortunate to live long enough."

visualspice

"That sounds like the talk of a soldier." And upon further examination, his eyes sparkled a bit as he chuckled through a smile. "But seems like you've got that part cut out to you." He gave the metal of her armor a flick as it dinged. "Found out you were mordecai?"

Zero

Lillian went so far as to make a face at him when he flicked her armor. How childish! Of course that didn't stop her from smiling. "Oh if only it were as simple as being a mordecai. I think they at least still get to..." She blinked, realizing she was about to lament once again about her inability to marry, only out loud this time. Shaking her head with a sheepish smile. "They found out that I'm an adhara, so Knight of the White Lily for me. I didn't realize that Ansgar had a sense of humor until I found out he gave me such a gift."

She really shouldn't complain. She should feel blessed. Lillian knew this. Ansgar had given her a rare and unique gift and she should be thankful for the opportunity to serve him as a pure and holy vessel for his will. Somehow she didn't feel blessed as much as cursed at times.

visualspice

"Adhara?" Blaith recoiled his hand as if she were made of poison. He looked her over with a more soured smile. "Aye, I'd have to agree. Ansgar's name- I never would have considered the young lady Coleridge in armor."

Zero

Jade eyes blinked as Blaith recoiled from her so. What kind of reaction was that? Scowling softly she looked away, a little embarrassed. "I don't think anyone did. When they found out about my gift I think it broke father's heart. He had such plans for me. Of course when you're adhara you no longer get to have your own plans, so here I am, in Reajh of all places."

visualspice

Despite his first reaction to what she was, his ears perked up and she peered over at her- listening to what she had to say.
"An unfortunate curse of our religion," he told her solemnly- and reflected over his own 'curse'. "But there are far worse things than possessing such a gift. But my condolences to you and your family. I can only imagine your father's pain." Though in a way, he knew far too well of it.

But then reflecting on her last statement he afforded her a small smile.
"Not a fan of the city?" He peered up at the ceiling of the church. "It is a bit too grand for my tastes.. To big, to... " He shrugged and didn't finish that thought, but kept his blue eyes upon the sky lights that glittered down on them in golden, colored rays from painted pains of glass.

Zero

Lillian nodded her head, feeling foolish for having complained. There were so many things that could have been worse. Ansgar forbid - she could have been a mage! Which reminded her one of the reasons her heart was so troubled. It seemed insanely unfair that people given an ability - one they hadn't asked for - could be so punished. To Lillian it seemed as if there was barely a difference at all between her and a mage when you got to the core of it. Both given a power they hadn't asked for, and both punished for it - albeit in very different ways.

"The city is alright, I guess. Perhaps it is just me being silly, but I feel dreadfully homesick for the beautiful orchards of Orchy. I think I miss my family more than the countryside, though. Father's lectures, Gabriel's warm smile, the sparkle in his eyes when Cyrus knows he's doing something he shouldn't. Even Evelyn's haughty admonishments."

A Knight of the White Lily shouldn't be complaining about something petty like missing home, but she couldn't help it. She missed her old life, was that really such a wrong thing? "Sorry, you probably don't want to listen to a foolish woman's ramblings."

At least he was smiling now instead of crying. She wanted so badly to ask what had caused him to react so strongly, but it would be rude.

visualspice

Blaith only smiled at her words, but it was not a smile realized in his eyes.
"The war makes us all miss home. And our families."
For Blaith- he was truly the only one left- minus a few cousins, though most of which were never close. Graetus was the only one seen around him as of lately and Katahnia...
She had been erased from public knowledge as quickly as she was introduced. ANd no one knew her real origins. But no one had to.

Zero

As soon as he said the words Lillian realized that her prattling on about her family and home was probably not helping at all. Here she'd come to try to make him less upset, and was probably only compounding the problem.

"I'm sorry, like I said, just being silly." Chewing on her bottom lip slightly in thought, she tried to summon up something else to talk about. Five years had truly taken their toll on her! Her entire young life had been training to entertain and amuse men with her wit and charm and she had always enjoyed socializing at parties as a child. Now she seemed at a loss of what to say.

"Whatever made you so upset, I'm sorry. The war has been trying on everyone." She wondered if someone close to him had perished. Thank Ansgar her father and brothers were alive and well so far.

visualspice

Blaith had lost a lot to his war- with a sister that he believed was kidnapped and taken to Fort Dhagh and will soon be public knowledge as a mage...
and his parents...

He didn't even want to think of that.
So he flashed her a forced smile, one that showed his teeth but only glittered his eyes because of his remaining tears. He had a lot of deciding to do- and quick. Angsar save him- he was going to bring this war on himself.

"There is no need to apology, Lilly." Then he paused to correct himself with a rigid bow. "Or should I say,- Lady Lillian Coleridge. But war is the people's burden to bear, and as long as we continue to give up our shoulders, we continue to expose our necks. Forgive me. I'm going to be late." And he pushed passed her to exit the pew.

Zero

Everyone knew that Kella Harmond had been missing for years, but nobody knew what had become of her. Well, that wasn't true, there were some people that knew now, but Lillian wasn't one of them - yet. Ironic how close she was to finding out the truth about the mystery of what had happened to Kella Harmond.

Lilly? That was awfully informal, and unexpected. Lillian blinked, jade eyes going a little wide as he dismissed himself suddenly and pushed past her in an attempt to escape. Her goal had been to help, but she felt as if she'd only made things uncomfortable between them.

Rising her hand instinctively shot out to lightly grab to his coat sleeve, trying to stop him. The action surprised her, she shouldn't so such a thing! Sense told her to release him immediately, but she held on. "The war will never end if someone doesn't do something."

The words had come out a choked whisper, but she knew they were true. She released his sleeve then, face flushing at her behavior. "Forgive me, I wouldn't want to make you late, Duke Harmond."

visualspice

Blaith too was surprised, and tensed when another dare touched him- but for different reasons than propriety. After hearing her words, his demeanor softened and he remained paused with her hand still on his sleeve.

But then the apology came and he stood there a moment and awkwardly digested what he said. Turning his face back to her, so she could barely catch his cheek and lips, he spoke,
"There is no need to apologize. Perhaps it would do me some good to be late from time to time." He shifted his weight to turn to her, so that she could see more of his profile as his blue eyes sought her green ones.

"I have two horses if you wish to join me in a run. It would be nice to catch up- to see what's been going on outside of Turgall."

Tags: