Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

The lioness and the leopard. [Open!]

Started by Rhindeer, March 07, 2014, 10:18:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rhindeer

"Yup!" came the cheery reply, and Yasmin cracked an eye open and turned her head toward the man. "Been awake a while, actually."

She looked weary, and certainly felt it, but she'd be fine. She had a splint on her broken wrist, a bandage around her thigh, and some bandages on her shoulders from when the leopard had pinned her down. She had a few scratches and bruises here and there from her tumble, but other than that, she was just tired and dehydrated. The healers had been giving her water, slowly, so she didn't sick up, and demanded she rest. It would be another month before she could fight again, thanks to the broken bone--officially, that is. Yasmin could see her master shoving her back into the ring long before it healed and just telling her to fight one-handed.

He was a peach like that. He knew he could make money on her death as easily as he could on her victory. Man was probably livid right about now. Sure, she'd made him a fair amount through her victories, but he owned enough gladiatorial slaves that losing one wasn't his concern; it was just expected collateral.

Looking the man over, her lips twisted into a lopsided grin. "You're lucky you're awake at all. You're damned lucky you've got all your extremities, too. What in Hakeshna's name were you thinking, anyway, jumping down there like that?"
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Wicked Basket

As the two talked, a fair amount of grumbling, arguing, and cursing could be heard as five men worked on moving Gutztomp. They had long since given up on carrying, so they were trying to drag him instead. It was a frustrating process, but it was comical to those viewing it. Eventually they just decided to leave Gutztomp lie where he was. He wasn't sitting out in the sun anymore, so he should be fine where he lay. The five men dropped Gutztomp's axes onto the sand next to him and quickly left. None of them wanted to be near him when he woke up, and they didn't want to get in trouble for leaving him in the middle of the floor. So, there Gutztomp lay, with passersby making a note to give him a wide berth.

DaGlobster

Herrick seemed to think for a few moments, his mouth screwing up as he fixed his eyes on the roof. "You know, I don't quite know." He started, rubbing the back of his head. "Call me old fashioned, but I couldn't just sit there and watch a woman be killed, especially in a fight she wouldn't have won. It doesn't take a genius to figure out that you were forced into it, too." Herrick explained, sitting back up with a groan.

He extended an arm across the gap between their beds for a shake. "Herrick Tavish's the name." He said as he cracked a smile of his own. If Yasmin took his hand to shake it, he'd pull it in to kiss it.

Rhindeer

Yasmin gave him a look, eyebrow raised. "We're all forced into it, except for the crazy ones like you. That's what being a slave means--doing things you don't want to," she said, picking at the bindings on her wrist. "Would you have done the same for a man? Or just assumed a man could handle it and women can't?"

Still, despite her slight irritation, when he extended his hand she clasped it with hers, lips quirking into a smile. Either it was a foreign flub on his part, extending his hand out to her first, or he viewed her as an equal, despite what he implied about her competence in the arena.

Except she was not at all familiar with Herrick's particular follow-up.

She blinked when Herrick kissed her hand, her cheeks coloring despite herself. In Essyrn, women often kissed cheeks in greeting--but men certainly did not kiss women in greeting. Startled, she jerked her hand away. "Uh, Yasmin," she said, feeling dumb for being thrown so off balance. "Yasmin Kader."
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

DaGlobster

Herrick smiled one of his crafty smiles when Yasmin pulled her hand back. That was for all the yelling she directed at him. "Oh yeah...I forget sometimes the Essyrni have slaves. Pardon me, this is the first time I've come here." He said, placing a hand on his chest, which elicited a small wince from him. "It wouldn't have mattered if you were a man or a woman. You had an injured leg, you couldn't have handled it." He stated, crossing his arms.

"What, do you think I take you for a damsel?"

Rhindeer

"I should hope not," Yasmin replied with a grin, pleased with his clarification. She hadn't survived five years for nothing. "You'd be sorely disappointed."

Lifting her arms over her head, she gave a slight stretch; this bed wasn't the most comfortable, and she'd never been good at keeping still. Even tired, she was fidgety, one foot bouncing under the thin sheet. That, and she was a little anxious. She was not looking forward to facing her master later.

"Anyway, you're lucky I am a slave. I don't know about your peoples' customs, but here, that little 'hello' of yours could've gotten you in trouble. Just for the record."

DaGlobster

Herrick scoffed at Yasmin's last statement. "Trouble? I don't care about trouble. I'm not exactly a law-abiding citizen." Herrick said, leaning back and dropping against his pillow. He seemed to think for a few moments, before sitting back up, a smile on his face. "Say, I've been here looking for a good score, waiting for Connlaoth to cool down from its mage crisis. I'm sure someone like you would know someone who needs a good robbing?" He said, his smile returning.

Wicked Basket

The pair was interrupted again, but not by men's voices this time. This time it was Gutztomp.

"Get off me you little worm!"

The statement was followed immediately by a cry of pain that sounded like it came from a young man. A new arrival, a slave, had never seen an ork before and made the mistake of investigating. Unfortunately for him, Gutztomp had already regained consciousness and was sleeping. Orks did not like to be disturbed while they are sleeping. The poor boy had gotten his arm broken in two by a very grump Gutztomp. Everyone cleared the area and hid, some hiding in the room that Yasmin and Herrick were in. Gutztomp was not only a sore loser, but a sore loser who was had just been disturbed from his slumber. Nobody dared to be anywhere near him. It was probably the best course of action at this moment.

Rhindeer

Yasmin had been musing over just how to answer that one when the unmistakeable voice of the ork interrupted her, followed by a boy's scream. Then the infirmary was a mess of movement, people rushing around--and many rushing inside their room as though to get away. Errr...

With a look Herrick's way, Yasmin sat up with a grunt. Seemed the ork was around, too, and already awake and causing trouble. Not good!

"Hmm...I'm not liking the sounds of that," Yasmin remarked. "We may have a sore loser on our hands. Do you feel well enough to stand?"

DaGlobster

"Well enough to stand? If it means getting away from mean 'n green over there, I'm well enough to run." Herrick said, and slipped out of the bed. As soon as he stepped off, however, he paused. He momentarily lost his balance, and lurched to one side, but swiftly recovered.

"Now, where're my things..." He muttered as he glanced around, before finally finding his weapons and armor deposited into a neat little pile next to his bed. He didn't have time to get on the full suit of leather armor, so he just strapped on the hard plates and tied the rest into a bundle, which he kept under his arm. With just the leather plates on, he could easily pass as a gladiator. He put his weapons and gear on his person, and tied a loose black cloth so it covered his face from the nose down.

"Right then. Shall we, my lady?" Herrick asked, and he held out a hand to help her out of her bed if she needed it.

Wicked Basket

Gutztomp began his search. He wasn't finished with those humans yet. None of the slaves or gladiators were strong enough, or brave enough, to try to stop him. Anyone who got in his way were tossed aside. It wouldn't be long before he reached the room that Yasmin and Herrick were in.

Rhindeer

Yasmin could hear the ork's footsteps, for he was not a light walker--and it seemed they were getting closer. Grasping Herrick's hand, she hauled herself out of bed and onto her feet, landing lightly on her good leg.

"Ah, good to hear!" she said with a grin that didn't reach her eyes, and released his hand. "Because we may well have to run."

Her scimitar was gone, likely returned to her cell, and it made her feel naked right then. Facing an ork in the arena, armed, was one thing. Being chased by one, unarmed, through the infirmary was another. Worse than that, though, was the fact that she couldn't do harm outside the arena, anyway. Not even in self-defense. If she did, it could easily be held against her, and she could be held accountable.

"And you, my dear," she added, looking at Herrick as she began to fall into a limping jog, "should probably leave, before my master catches me talking to you."

DaGlobster

"Your master? Catch me? The best manhunters in Adela couldn't catch me, my lady. Besides..." He said, and tied his long hair into a ponytail. Now, he looked like a completely different person, like he belonged in this colosseum. "I don't know who you're talking about. I'll meet you later. Don't worry, I'll find you." He said in perfect Essyrni, stepping outside with his remaining gear bundled under his arm, including his weapons, which were hidden inside the bundle in case the ork recognized them.

Wicked Basket

Just moments after Herrick had left, Gutztomp's search brought him to the infirmary. Looking in the door, he saw Yasmin. Guztomp bared his teeth and tried to get her, but he was too large. Between his sheer bulk and the axes on his back, he could not get through the door. He could have easily removed the axes and slid in through the door sideways, but orks weren't exactly known for intelligence.

"Come 'ere so I can break ya," Gutztomp roared, reaching his arm through the door in a vain attempt to reach her.

Rhindeer

Yasmin had been about to follow Herrick out, but that was when the bloody ork came stomping through. With a gasp, Yasmin stumbled backwards and away from the thing, eyes darting around the room for something to fight with--but then the ork got stuck.

On his own axes.

But it might not be long before he figured it out.

Staying just out of reach, Yasmin held up her hands in a placating gesture and smiled her winning-est smile. "Hey now! I know you might be a wee bit out of it still, but the match is over, friend! It was a draw, which means we're all even! So just...calm down, now..."

Wicked Basket

"Dat wasn't a fight. All you did was run around," Gutztomp growled, still trying to get in. "Get over here an' fight me da right way."

Rhindeer

"I've no interest in fighting you," Yasmin said with a shake of her head, taking another step backwards. "I don't fight outside the arena."

DaGlobster

Herrick stopped walking when he heard the commotion. Sure, he felt great having just walked past Gutztomp without the giant orc being none the wiser, but now he couldn't believe that he was going back towards the brute. With one swift motion, he snatched an empty glass bottle off of a table and flung it towards the back of the ork's head, melding into the shadows before the brute could turn around.

Wicked Basket

Gutztomp spun around after a bottle had shattered against his head, but he didn't see anyone.

"Who threw that," he shouted. "I'll rip yer arms off!"

DaGlobster

Herrick breathed, and cupped his mouth in his hand. He looked at the exit, and at the hallway which led off deeper into the infirmary, coming to end at a sharp corner. He focused on the corner, and spoke.

"Why don't you come over here and find out you dumb lug!" His voice came, not from where he was hiding, but from around the corner all the way at the end of the infirmary. Hopefully, it' would give Yasmin enough time to run out of the exit to safety.