Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

The Great Escape!

Started by Cambie, June 16, 2014, 11:13:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

visualspice

General Serenus was a well known man, and every Duke would have known him- considering he had worked for the Grand Duke well before he was elevated in his status. So when the man turned around and studied Aryn over critically, he gave a nod to his soldiers and said, "Let me speak to the Duke alone."

Once the soldiers obliged, the General's gaze when to Aryn, and for the longest time, he said not a word.
"So... who are you really? Clearly you are not the Duke of Turgall, but none of this men would know it. What is your real name and your purpose here? And be careful of your choice of words, sir, for they could seal your fate."
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Cambie

Aryn had known the General would recognize him for the imposter that he was. That part didn't bother him much anymore.

He hadn't been prepared for a man taller than he. It took the Ironhand a moment to regain his senses, before a frown creased his brow. His fate had been sealed the moment he left Kella to come down here and face the General. He could only hope that she got out, and escaped.

With as much arrogance as he could muster, Aryn sneered at the General and said, "Look at my fancy clothing and my fancy sword. Obviously I came here to have tea with you and then dance in your ballroom. What, is that too much believe? Do your worst."

Hopefully he occupied enough of this General's time for her to slip away unnoticed.

visualspice

The general kept an even, but amused gaze on Aryn.
"You're lucky there aren't any nobles here among my ranks. You'd have been sniffed out at the gates." And here he chuckled as he went on, "There are no ball rooms in a fort, by the way. But nice try."

With a sigh, he leaned back into his chair.
"Now I've only got a few options for you, you either give me your name and we can proceed with having you judged, which..." He sighed, "In your case,w ill probably lead to a hanging, and a flogging before that. Now...t he other option is to simply toss you into the camps with the rest of the mages here, since you seem so eager to get into this Fort. Might as well put you to work. Oh... and by the way, I don't take kindly to those who mock their betters. You should rethink your plans next time you ever want to pose as a noble."

And then he paused and looked the man over.
"What are you really here for? Gun powder? The duke's sister? My own head? Perhaps that of another?"

However, he noticed something stirring in Aryn's eyes when he had mentioned Kella. And he gave an even chuckle as he kept his gaze locked to the iron hand's.

"So you're here for Lady Kella. I'm afraid your trip was in vein. She is protected here, you can see that. Her power is dangerous, and I will refuse to let her fall into the wrong hands."
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Cambie

Aryn's eye twitched the moment Kella's name was brought up, and he scowled deeply at the General. A knot twisted in his stomach briefly, knowing that the man before him essentially held the key to his future. He'd faced death before, but this was something different.

"Protected?" he spat in retort. No use pretending like he was a noble now. This General clearly saw through his disguise to what Aryn really was -- a baseborn rat. All pretenses flew off of the Ironhand as he pointed an accusing finger at the seated man.

"Locking her in a tower, all miserable and alone with a little girl guard parading around with a big sword like she's a Duchess? You call that fucking protection? Call it what it really is, a prison. Call this whole fort a fucking prison, and yourself warden. Why don't you pin a badge to your chest while you're at it?"

His scowl deepened. Every word that came out of his mouth brought him closer and closer to a hanging. "You ain't protecting her. You're probably keeping her for your own use, or for whoever the fuck pulls your strings."

visualspice

General Serenus gave a cool laugh, his eyes never once leaving Aryn.
"You can voice your opinions as much as you want, but at the end of the day you'll be outside these gates and very far away from here. Now I'm giving you a chance to walk away without making a mockery of yourself. But well.. perhaps you already have." And that cool chuckle came again.
"But I digress, I'm a busy man and for what treason you've committed I could see you hang. In fact, I don't know why I'm even wasting my time here. Perhaps it's the weather getting to me in my old age, or the length of this war, but be out of my fort now, or there will be consequences."

Cambie

Aryn had an insult all prepared, but instead his jaw dropped.

"Are you serious? You're just going to let me walk out of here."

Not that he was complaining. But he had never seen this sort of governance before. Frankly, he was surprised they hadn't thrown him in a cell yet.

visualspice

"Look, you're just one man, and this winter is to be tough. For whatever reason, you've traveled all the way here. If it was to see Lady Kella..... I suppose I could let you see her one more time before you go. But after that, if I see you inside my Fort again..." and he gave Aryn a warning glare before rising from his chair.

Cambie

Aryn's mouth gaped for a good moment before he consciously slammed it shut. Maybe Ansgar really was smiling down on him today.

The offer to see her one last time was tricky though. If he went back up there... well, they'd find out his treachery. And then he really would never see Kella again. But if that extra little diversion meant that she had more time to escape, then he had to take it.

Resolutely, he nodded his head with a scowl. "Fine, I'll play by your terms. You leave me be while I go talk to her. In private. Otherwise maybe you will see me again."

visualspice

"Are you trying to barter with me?" The General asked, and laughed. Though it was hard to tell if it was out of amusement or irritation.

Cambie

Aryn bristled slightly, though he didn't have any reason to. His life was already in this man's hands.

"I guess I'm not," he answered begrudgingly. "I'm going to do what I came here to do, is all."

And with that, he turned and started heading back toward the tower.

visualspice

The General sat in his chair for a moment before sighing and rising to his feet. He couldn't just let the man cause a ruckus. What he had done...
It could already cost him his job- if not his life.

Though as he moved to step outside of the door, he halted dead in his tracks as he watched the White Lily guard come rushing up to Aryn's side.

Tears filled her blue eyes as she looked up at him. But she knew what he'd be thinking, and before he could yell at her, she took his hand and whispered, "Run."

Cambie

Snow had begun to fall again when Aryn stepped out into the cold bleak courtyard of the Fort. How was he supposed to get out of this mess now? There looming across the way was the tower, up those stairs an unconscious (and soon to be irate) Knight of the White Lily laying in the bed meant for a prisoner. If he went up those stairs, he likely wouldn't come down them again.

It was to his surprise, then, when the tiny armored figure rushed up to him and snatched up his gloved with her gauntlet. Why was she still here?

Aryn was stunned for just a brief moment, and glanced over his shoulder at the old General standing in his doorway.

"SHIT," he said, and then made a dash for the gates, practically dragging Kella along with him. Already, shouts emanated from the tower.

visualspice

To say the General was shocked was an understatement, but as he stood in the door way, watching the pair rush off in the fluttering snow, he found himself mute, and glued to the ground.

Kella wasn't about to question it as she continued to run, breath trailing behind her in a long stream of white breath. She could have cried, perhaps she was, but as they neared the gate, the men all shouted, demanding what was wrong.

"Open the Gates!" Kella shouted, finding a voice within her stronger than she could contain. "The Duke he... he can not remain here!"
And quickly she thought of the reason, and bellowed out, "If he remains, the dangerous curse on his sister will awaken!" And she paused, furrowing her brow before shouting, "Open the gates... NOW!"

And it all moved like a dream, the echoing fade of her voice, the silence that followed, then the slow heavy clicking as the gate lifted. And when she saw it, the world on the other side, she didn't think about anything else but run.

Cambie

The power with which her voice carried through the wind surprised even Aryn, and he had to stop for a moment to stare at her. The armor. It had to be the armor empowering her. Yeah, that was it.

The gates slowly crawled open before them, revealing the muddy path leading away from the Fort and into the distant hilly woods. His stolen horse was still up there, and surely it was sturdy enough to carry the two of them to safety. If only the portcullis would open faster.

"Hurry up with the damn gate!" he shouted up at the guards, trying to echo Kella's voice. Somehow, he was still surprised by how authoritative she had been. "I'm fucking freezing here!"

From behind them a faint shout echoed across the courtyard as the first of the guards burst out of the tower.

The portcullis was only halfway up, but that was good enough. Snatching up Kella's hand again, he yanked her toward the gate and literally tossed her to the other side before ducking his way past.

visualspice

Kella, surprised by the actions, found herself nearly eating snow. She managed to catch herself, however, and peered over at Aryn and couldn't help herself but break out a smile, as tears began to glitter within her eyes.

And as she heard the voices from behind them, all she could do was whisper the words, "Run."

Cambie

He didn't need her to say it twice. As soon as she said it, Aryn nodded and sprinted with her down the muddy path, the clanking of her armor barely audible above his heavy breaths.

From behind he faintly heard someone's voice shout, "THE PRISONER'S ESCAPING! THAT'S NO DUKE!" He couldn't tell if it was that old geezer of a general, or someone else.

The first arrow whizzed past him and buried itself in the snow.

visualspice

Kella shrieked when an arrow sunk too close to.their heels, and it was only fear that kept her tears at bay. All she could do was run. All she could.do, was pray.

Cambie

Arrows continued to rain down around them, but eventually they came less frequently and farther back. They'd ran out of range. The shouts still echoed in the distance.

They slogged up the hill through muddy snow, until they crested it to find his horse, still tied up against the tree and snorting out little wisps of smoke. "I stole your brother's horse," Aryn admitted breathlessly as he helped Kella up into the saddle. "Quick."

He could see several figures in the distance, and they were rapidly approaching. From this far, they looked like horsemen, but he couldn't be sure.

visualspice

Kella looked at him with wide eyes. More than fear and shock had shown. But what could she say? He risked so much just to save her, and all she could manage to mutter through puffs of white breath was, "Thank you."

Cambie

"Thank me when we fucking get out of here," Aryn mumbled through the cold air as he tried to hoist himself up behind her, onto the horse. It was surprisingly difficult how having only one arm hindered his ability to mount the beast, and it wasn't really giving him much help by shuffling restlessly.

It took a third try, and an angry, "Stay still, you stupid animal!" before he finally managed to get into the saddle. The plates of her stolen armor dug into his torso, but he ignored the pain as he wrapped a metal arm firmly around her and snatched up the reins.

Down the road they galloped, through trees and snow, in an indeterminate direction. It was hard to tell which way they were going, but he knew two things.

They were riding away from the fort. And the clacking of hooves behind them had grown louder. The soldiers were gaining on them.

"We might have to stop and fight them," he said grimly into Kella's ear.