Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Bubble, Bubble, Toil and Trouble [Calamity Mei!]

Started by Lion, August 25, 2014, 10:50:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lion

Reneth was on the run.

That in itself wasn't an unusual thing.  He was wont to keep moving, to explore the lay of the land between destinations.  After all it was not the end or the beginning, but the journey in between that made it worth all the effort.  Now, however, he had little time to savor each step.  They quickened and moved with desperate fervor now through the streets of Ketra, and if anything, he hoped they would get him far enough away from his pursuers to give him time.

He had only one of two options, keep running and soon tire out, and they would easily catch up to him.  Or try to find a place to hide and fast.  Reneth paused between alleyways, trying to catch his breath.  His heart drummed savagely in his chest, and it seemed as if it were loud enough to be heard miles away.  Ansgar he silently prayed, If you have any mercy left in you, please give me time enough to evade them.  That's all I want.  That's all I need.

"I think I saw him head down this way," a man's voice said in a half-hushed tone.  Boots slowed down, echoing between buildings, and stopping short just in front of a brothel on one side and a tavern on the other.

They hadn't spotted him, Reneth was sure of it.  But they were close and would  soon be on his scent if he didn't make a decision and fast.

He saw the red gleam of the warm crimson lantern hanging from the lamps just outside the brothel known as the Randy Peach.  It was a better option than none.  Reneth waited a moment, looking for a less obvious point of entry and soon found one when he peered above him.  There was an open window a story or so above him.  The curtains were dark, and that meant either the room was vacant or the occupants were asleep.  Either way it was good enough for him.

Reneth took a running start to the wall, launching his weight against one foot and getting a second-long grip beneath his light boot before gripping onto the window sill of another window below.  He was thankful he was a light man and could pull himself easily as he reached the window and quietly slunk him himself over the edge, falling unceremoniously onto a night table within.

"Shit," he hissed, picking his hand up and trying to see what he fell on in the dark.

Like to kill mages?  Join the Order!
The Order of St. Agratha

Help Rebuild Connlaoth from the ashes of war!
The Red Legion

Jump in the water's fine!
Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"Life is a series of dogs." -George Carlin
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

CalamityMei

A soak in the bath had really been worth it, her muscles were relaxed and joints all loosened up. She smelt of a mixture of almond and camomile, the scent being a welcoming almost homely smell. She dressed herself quickly, expecting appointments in the next hour or so. Her garbs left little to the imagination, a sheer silk skirt floated effortlessly down her figure while the corset up top cinched her in, a mixture of sea greens and cerulean intermixed in the dress, coordinating with her hair.

She brushed her hair out, letting it dry naturally so it would be in her usual wavy state. Sighing she popped on some jewellery before a crashing noise jumped her straight from her bed and a shadowy figure muttered a curse. She quickly and precariously grabbed the dagger from her garter and pointed it in the direction of the noise.

"Don't come near me, I won't hesitate I swear!" Her voice betrayed her as it shook, and her eyes tried to work with the small light a nearby lantern provided.

Lion

He'd been wrong.  Rats!  The light had been dim and soft enough to easily be confused with total darkness from the alley below and when he'd fallen through, it had taken a while for his eyes to adjust.  The landing from the windowsill had left his wrist sore and hard to move and stung when he did.  At last he climbed to his feet, only to whirl around and get what looked like a letter opener pointed at him.

Reneth heard voices down on the street, his heart jumping in alarm and he quickly tried to bolt for the door.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

CalamityMei

She wasn't sure which way to move and with the situation happening so quickly she hurried for the door, dagger in hand, her face a picture of mock determination.

"I can't let you hurt anyone else here." She heard the guards nearby, their shouts outside of the brothel, yellow light cascading over the street outside. She held the small blade tightly, her back flush against the door and her breathing erratic as her chest heaved.

Of course, he could be any number of things, a murderer, a thief, a rapist. The latter a scarier thought she'd prefer to hide right in the back of her mind, instead, she stood, legs parts and dagger held out in front of her, her brow furrowed and eyes slant.

Lion

Panic left him trembling, fear pushing through his blood, making it hot and bitter as he tried for the door again only to have her block his way.  If he had a man of any other background, he might have simply thrown her aside without a care and been down the stairs in as little as a second.  But she looked like she could take care of herself if anything.  Her stance, her expression, told him he could just as easily be diced from stem to stern.  And if she was bluffing...

Reneth frowned, and he grit his teeth, knowing full well, he couldn't just go back out the way he came.  "Let me by," he said, in a half-hearted command.  "I-I mean it!  Let me go!" 

The voices from down on the street were getting louder. 

"Please!"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

CalamityMei

He seemed desperate, she could see it in his eyes and even though she felt incredibly stupid she let the dagger drop to her side, Bella's frame shaking as she did so. She had no idea if he was a killer or not but she had to establish it quickly if she were to help him.

"Are you a murderer!?" She felt like screaming it, letting her voice rise over the noise of the men's demands as they edged ever closer, coming to get this man. She mentally cursed herself as she frantically racked her brain for what to do, she was acting on instinct not on radical thinking.

Lion

"I think I saw someone come up this way," he heard a voice echo up from the street.  Reneth  grit his teeth and suddenly shot forward, lunging foward and putting a hand over her mouth and pressing her against the door.

"I am not a murderer," he said, shaking his head fervently.  "I am not a thief, or a rapist.  I'm not going to hurt you.  But there are some very bad men out there that wouldn't hesitate to hurt you if  they found me"

Suddenly the voices were downstairs and he froze.  "Shit," he cursed again and yanked Bella away from the door.  "I am so sorry.  I promise to apologize for this better later."

"That rat bastard has to be in here." the men hissed.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

CalamityMei

She dropped the dagger then, the sudden action was brisk and took Bella by surprise, her heart threatened to leap out of her chest as she felt like screaming into his hand, her eyes wide staring straight back at him.

She tried not to shake, but her body and mind were separated by one thing, fear. She dreaded the day a patron would turn on her, but this was different this was like something she only heard rumours of from her fellow whores. His words somehow reassured her ever so slightly, but the one thought that crossed her mind was that he could be lying.

As the voices grew closer so did her anticipation of them barging through the door, she tried mumbling against his hand but her voice was drowned out. As she was yanked away, she could have screamed, yelled for help, but she didn't. Perhaps a small part of that fear had turned into curiosity.

Lion

Reneth pulled her into a corner, keeping his hand over her mouth and hoping against hope that it was clean.  He was sure it was, but you never knew when it came to crisscrossing back alleys in strange cities.  He loosened his grip, letting her go just before he bolted for her closet, hearing those familiar voices pounding up the stairs, seemingly without any due resistance.

"He's got to be in one of these rooms.  Kick down the goddamn doors if you have to," one of the men growled and voices of discontent could be heard down the hallway.

Reneth stuffed himself high up in the wardrobe, closing the door just enough to keep it too dark to peer within and yet with a slit wide enough for him to see through.  And just then a boot came flying through Bella's door, and two very ugly, gritty men stepped through.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

CalamityMei

She jumped as they barged their way in, two men that towered over Bella. Her eyes widened and all of a sudden her voice had become no more than a hoarse squeak. She tried not to breathe erratically, her heart hammering in her chest as they approached her.

"Where is he!?" One of them bellowed out, anger ridden over his face, his brow constantly furrowed. Bella could only let out a measly squeak as she shook at his tone. She remember what the wanted man had said to her, that these men were more dangerous than him.

She tried to compose herself but all she got were glares from the two men and her eyes never leaving their forms.

Lion

One was more slight in size, while the other was clearly little more than a wall of muscle.  The first man had a snake's look to him, black beady eyes and black hair slicked back and out of his face.  His nose was long and hooked, mouth thin and wicked.  He stepped forward, putting a hand on the other man's arm to hold him back just a bit before he ceased is fumings and went about looking through the room.

"You.  What's your name, Miss?  I'm Jon and this is my very short-temper associate, Rance.  You seen anyone unusual passing through here.  Someone who so obviously does not fit?  He's a criminal, a slinky-slimy, dirty, no good rotten slippery weasel that insists on not being found.  Me and my friend here know he came this way and we'll turn this entire brothel upside down and around until he's found.  Now it's best you be honest with me.  I'd hate for something unfortunate to happen to that pretty face of yours."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

CalamityMei

She didn't speak, she couldn't speak. Her mind was frozen as were her movements as she stood right next to the wardrobe to which the mysterious man was in. Honestly she was torn, did she tell them where he was in order to get rid of these men quickly and easily, or did she lie to their faces because there was something about the man that didn't seem to scream 'rat'.

She swallowed, the saliva wetting her dry throat as words started to formulate, thus did a sentence. "I-I haven't seen anyone." She deliberately ignored the question for her name, this was not a moment for formalities, she just wanted them to go and even if the excuse was poor and something they heard all the time, she just hoped they'd believe her and turn tail; especially after the threat was made.

Lion

Reneth's stomach felt as if it could turn sour.  But he forced himself to keep from retching, despite himself.  If they found him, if they caught him, heavens only knew what they'd do to him.  He wasn't at all afraid of a little roughing up, but if they made him take the hit...  He'd left Connlaoth because of this crap, but he should've known it would follow him across the continent.

"Oh he isn't, is he?" Jon said, grinning wickedly at her and he reached forward to gently comb her hair out of her face.  Rance grinned through browning teeth and he pushed passed Bella and began to tear her room upside down, looking under her mattress, and anywhere that remotely resembled a hiding place. 

Just when he neared the wardrobe, there was a sudden rush of voices downstairs as the brothels bouncers wisened to 'non-paying' customers intruding upstairs.  "Time to go, Rance," Jon said as he snapped his fingers and they bolted from the room, running into the bouncers on the way down. There was a brief scuffle as the men were chased out the door.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

CalamityMei

She winced slightly as he touched her hair, the man's vile breath invading her nostrils as she held her breath to stop the stench from making her nauseous. It took him what felt like hours to move away from her, fearing that her heart could be heard by them, and the small beads of sweat on her brow were a sure give away that she knew something.

She let them rough house her room, turning everything and anything upside down until they came up with nothing. As voices rose from downstairs they bolted out, leaving her to exhale greatly as they left. She took a second to stay frozen to the spot, her hands shaking and that was when she opened the wardrobe, a frown on her face and her eyes slit.

"Get out now." Her voice had an edge to it, and she wanted no trouble with any authorities or dangerous men. "I don't want any more trouble." She turned away from him, walking over to where her mattress now lie one the floor.

Lion

Reneth had waited until the noises below ceased and he jumped abruptly when Bella opened the door.  He held his breath, hesitant, speechless, as he peered around the corner and carefully stepped out of the wardrobe.  He couldn't find anything to say, not even a thank you - though he was indeed grateful - as he watched her plop down on her mattress.

Damn, they really tore up the room looking for him.  Reneth chewed on his lips, surveying the damage in their desperation.  He knew it was futile trying to apologize for it, but he suddenly felt quite bad about all the trouble she went through.  And he had a feeling somehow, even if he left, it wouldn't be over.

So Reneth very quietly shut the door and began to clean up.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

CalamityMei

She sighed as he began to help, the mess something that would be replaced by the owner either way, and even though nothing precious got damaged, it was still the fact that she had lied in front of these authorities not even knowing the man.

"You don't have to help, you know?" She didn't look at him, collecting little bits of debris from the floor and sweeping them to one side. She was always involved in some kind of trouble every now and again but nothing like this, nothing to this extent.

Now she did turn to him. "I think I deserve an explanation."

Lion

Reneth paused for a second, staring at her curiously then back to the door.  "I'm afraid I do.  I...I shouldn't have brought you into this.  And after all you did, it's the least I can do.  Truly."  He was afraid to say any more than that and kept on cleaning, even at her last demand.  He didn't want to ignore her, but perhaps it was best if she didn't know.

He could just leave, right?  And everything would be okay.  The men would think he either gave them the slip or stay right here and he could find a way out of town tonight or tomorrow.  He hoped that was the case, but a sinking feeling in his gut told him that they would be back.  Whether he was here or not.  They weren't stupid men, unfortunately.  These were smarter than the usual muscle and brain duos that were sent out to look for him.

Reneth sighed and shook his head.  "Look, I'm sorry.  Really I am.  I just got into a bit of trouble and I didn't know where else to go.  Those men that are after me are pretty bad guys.  They might have even said things about me, but they're not true, I swear it.  They're just hellbent on taking what they think is owed to them, but I have nothing to give them.  And you gave me a second chance, for that much I'm grateful," he said with small smile.

But it quickly faded.  "But what I'm afraid of is that even if I leave...they might come back."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Tags: