Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Calling Down the Moon [M]

Started by Rhindeer, September 09, 2014, 10:34:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rhindeer

"I'm afraid I don't," Misae admitted with a wince. "I'm...not actually that familiar with the area. I only went where my master told me to go, and I haven't had a chance to explore much since I left."

She gave one of her braids a frustrated tug. "I could tell you where all the fancy entertainment is, though."
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

DaGlobster

"We'll just have to ask around, then."

He stretched his shoulders, and approached the nearest guard, motioning for Misae to stay where she was.

"Excuse me, sir, but could you help out a pair of travelers? Me and my wife over there are looking for a cartographer. Might you know one?" he asked, humbly bowing his head.

Rhindeer

The bored looking guard shifted his eyes over to Ky, then cleared his throat and spat off to the side. Behind Ky, Misae wrinkled her nose in disgust.

"Eh. There used to be an old guy up the street did things like that," the guard said, jerking his thumb up the road. "Head up that way and hang a left at the potter's. Should be down that way a bit, if he ain't dead."
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

DaGlobster

"Thank you," Ky said, and motioned for Misae to follow him down the street. Unless something else came up, they'd find themselves in front of the store, a dingy looking sign reading "Maps".

"I can't read in Essyrni, what does it say?"

Rhindeer

Misae squinted and shielded her eyes against the bright light that hurt her sensitive eyes. To her, the sign was a blur, and she could barely make out the shapes forming the symbols.

"It says...hrm. I believe this is our place. If I read it right."

She smiled at him from beneath her veil and nodded at the door. "Shall we, dear husband?"

DaGlobster

Ky chuckled. It might have been the first time he displayed the ability to laugh to her. He was just so serious most of the time.

"After you, loving wife."

He walked up to the door, peering inside before he opened it, motioning for Misae to enter before him.

Rhindeer

The first thing Misae noticed was that the building inside was dusty, smelling of old, musty parchment.

The next thing she noticed was the giant world map spread out across the back wall, with Essyrn in the center.

There were books piled all over the place, and rolled up reed-paper scrolls. At a small, ancient desk piled with books on either side sat a stout, black-skinned man with a shock of curly white hair and more wrinkles than Misae had ever seen on a single person. He looked up from his work as they entered, and then beamed a smile at them as though seeing old friends. It didn't look like he got too many customers.

"Ah! Welcome, welcome!" he said as he rose from his chair with obvious difficulty, his knees crackling with the effort. "Please, come in! Don't be afraid to look around. I have maps from all over, you know. I've made them all myself, and they're guaranteed accuracy! What can I do for you? Are you looking for something in particular?"

DaGlobster

Ky looked about the cartographer's store, before locking his eyes onto the wrinkled man who ran it. He took a deep breath of the air inside the room. So much dust, this couldn't be healthy.

"We're looking for several rolls of map-sized parchment, the kind you can put in a scroll. I'm also interested in buying a world map. Something..." He rolled his eyes towards the gigantic map spread across the back wall.

"...smaller than that."

Rhindeer

The old man laughed, a wheezy sound, and slapped his knee. "Why, lad, I reckon I can help you there! Besides, that beauty there's my pride and joy. I'm afraid she's not for sale, anyhow."

He limped along, bustling about as best as he could to collect the things Ky had asked for, rolling up several blank pieces of parchment together and setting them aside. Then, heading to another stack of scrolls, he plucked one up and turned to Ky as he unrolled it.

It was muuuuch smaller than the giant map, definitely! Unrolled, it was about two feet long--and it was a perfect miniature of the larger map, though not as detailed, since there was less space to fit in. But it covered all the important things, at least, and had all the big cities and landmarks.

"Will this suffice?" he asked, and blew lightly on it to clear away some dust.

Standing behind the two of them, Misae turned her face into the crook of her elbow and sneezed.

DaGlobster

Ky looked back at Misae. "Pardon my wife. She has a sensitive nose. Yes, all this will do," Ky said, nodding. He continued to look around, fascinated by this man's trade. "What you do here is an unappreciated art. It's a shame to see all of this knowledge gathering dust on shelves."

For a few moments, Ky was quiet, before he checked the weight of his gold pouch, and he hummed thoughtfully. "Would you also happen to have any maps for the desert?"

Rhindeer

"Of course! Of course!" the man said, smiling happily at the complement--because it was true, he was under-appreciated, and it was so rare to find someone who truly respected what he did.

Gathering up two more scrolls, he pushed them into Ky's hands. "Will these do, sir?" he asked. "I'm afraid they're not complete. The desert is far too large. But they do have the important routes to the nearest nations and cities. Why, I once traveled with a group of desert nomads, you know. They charted the stars and I charted the land and we both learned from each other!"

DaGlobster

"The stars..." Kruz'Iik repeated, smiling wistfully underneath his coverings. He looked at the two scrolls of the desert, and nodded. "They will do nicely. Major routes are all we need," He said. He glanced over to a quill and inkpot on a shelf, and grabbed that as well, testing the weight in his hand. "I'll take these as well."

He reached down to his coin pouch, and took the entire thing off his belt. It didn't hold a meager amount, but it wasn't exactly too much coin anyways. Probably enough to cover the expenses, with just a little bit left over.

"Will all this do?" He asked, handing the coin pouch to the old man.

Rhindeer

"Oh, lad, this is more than enough. Far more than enough," the man said, counting out the coins and plucking a few from the pouch. He held those coins back out to Ky and smiled up at him, eyes crinkling around the edges.

"I couldn't rob you of your coin. Use it to buy your lovely wife something pretty to wear."

And Misae couldn't help but blush at that, and let out another muffled sneeze.

DaGlobster

Ky smiled at the man, this time big enough for it to show through his wrappings. Bowing his head, he accepted the few coins, and put them into a pocket. Taking their parchments, maps, and inkpot under his arm, Ky nodded once more at the old man before turning to leave.

"Come on, love."

Rhindeer

Misae turned and fell into step beside Ky as they headed out of the store, victorious!

"Why did you need so many blank parchments?" she asked, curious.

DaGlobster

"To draw up our plans on, or the layout of the house, if you remember it clearly enough," He explained. Glancing around, he frowned. "We need somewhere quiet and secluded to draw up these plans."

Rhindeer

"I could draw it in my sleep," Misae said quietly. "I spent three years with that man, stuck in those halls day in and day out. I could never forget it, even though I'd like to."

Though she was trying hard to be brave and not bothered, stoic and valiant as a gladiator of a different sort, truth be told she was terrified. She'd promised herself she would never go back to that place, whose walls had seen and heard everything. It was necessary, but that didn't mean it wouldn't be hard, or that she would feel nothing about it. Already, just thinking about it, she was feeling the creeping anxiety returning.

"Anyway, there aren't many places that are private or secluded here, at least not from what I've seen. And I'd be afraid to take you to the places I went with my master that were, because someone might recognize me. We may have to settle for an alley somewhere and do what we can."

DaGlobster

"I suppose a dark alley will have to do, then," He said, frown audible in his voice.

He knew he must have been putting Misae through something pretty tough, but it was the only source of money he could think of. Everything else involved stealing from people who didn't deserve to be stolen from.

Finally, they found an alley that hooked to the side, concealing them from the street, and Ky cleared the ground (more or less) and sat down.

"Be sure to mark down his most prized possessions..."

Rhindeer

Settled down on the ground across from Ky, Misae took out the ink and reed brush, dipped it in the ink, and began her work.

"Of course," she said, her brush moving over the papyrus sheets. "I remember where he keeps it all, unless he's moved it since I left. I doubt it, though. He always underestimated me. He always thought I was just some stupid girl."

She dipped the brush whenever the ink ran thin, and she had to pause here and there to try to remember details. It wasn't so much the details themselves that were difficult to recall--it was that she was drawing an aerial layout of his home, and she had to figure out how to translate her own perspective of that place into map form. Finally, however, she had a crude map drawn out, with her ex-master's stashes marked with a bold "X".

"I'm no artist," she said when she was done, as she set the brush aside and capped the inkwell. "Does this make sense?"

DaGlobster

Ky watched her draw the map, eyes narrowed as he focused on learning it as she drew.

When she was done, he picked up the map. Layering his knowledge from watching her slowly build it up against the completed product, he only looked at it for a couple of minutes, before he set it back down.

"yes, I understand this," He said, and looked towards Misae's eyes.

"He was wrong to underestimate you. My people had a saying..."

He paused to roll up the map.

"...Even the weak can lift a blade and kill you."