Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Calling Down the Moon [M]

Started by Rhindeer, September 09, 2014, 10:34:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rhindeer

"A pit in the ground and a seat among the stars," Misae answered seriously, before she cracked a wry smile and looked over at Ky.

"Truth be told, I'm not sure. The only thing I know is I must find my husband, but I don't know where he is, or even if he's still alive. He was still alive a few days ago, I know that much. But that could have changed. I haven't been able to get a read on him since."

She rubbed at her arm, casting her eyes toward the ground. "It's likely he has a new life, and I'm fine with that. It's been years; he perhaps married again. Gods know I've been with others. But he was my friend before we were lovers, and I have to know he's okay, and...well..." She shrugged, feeling a little silly. "We promised we'd escape together. Go back home. To what's left of it, in any case."
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

DaGlobster

Ky nodded, able to sympathize with Misae. "Well, where do they take the males? Was your husband a strong man, a warrior of the tribe, perhaps?" Ky asked.

Rhindeer

"He was," Misae said, and gave Ky a worried look. "Which means he was, more than likely, taken to do hard labor. Or maybe he was used as I was, because he's attractive. Or..."

She took a deep breath. "Or the one I like least, which is that he's in the Colosseum."
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

DaGlobster

"The Colosseum is open to the public, is it not? Perhaps we should pay it a visit. If we are fortunate, your husband might be within." Ky suggested, already turning his head to look at the Colosseum as it towered over the rest of the city.

Rhindeer

"It is..." Misae said, shifting from foot to foot nervously. "Honestly, I think part of me is afraid. What if I see him there, fighting? He could die, and I wouldn't be able to do anything about it. And I suppose what might be scarier is if he's not there at all."

She rolled her shoulders back and put on a smile, though Ky wouldn't be able to see it. "But I suppose those are my options! I, uh...I suppose I've been putting it off a while, actually, trying other avenues instead...it's...I really don't handle that place well."

DaGlobster

Ky hushed Misae by putting a finger on her mouth while she was halfway through her last. "Do not fear. If he is not dead, I am confident we can save him." He said, and took her by the hand as he resumed walking towards the Colosseum.

Rhindeer

Misae squeezed his hand tightly as they headed for the Colosseum. She was tense; even if she didn't see her husband there today, there was likely to be a lot of bloodshed, and already she was dreading it, already she was remembering the one and only time she had been dragged there by her master.

The only time, because she'd passed out.

But she kept that to herself, because negativity would do nothing for them here.

"Have you ever been?" she asked at length, as the colossal building grew closer, bigger.

DaGlobster

Ky looked at Misae, "I've visited it before, but I detest the place. I only wish the fights were between volunteers, and not slaves trying to earn their lives. There is no honor in this slaughter."

Rhindeer

"I hear some participants aren't slaves, but volunteers who do it for the...fun," Misae said with a shudder. "Not many, but some. I can't even imagine something like that, how murder can be fun."

DaGlobster

"On Kath, we had a similar building. My people are warriors and survivors by heart, and our laws are dictated by equal amounts honor and morals. The dishonored would try to reclaim their honor in a place like this, but the building was much smaller. To us, it wasn't a spectacle." Ky said, almost nostalgically. The place reminded him of home, but for all the wrong reasons.

Rhindeer

"That...sounds more agreeable," Misae said, chewing on her lip. "I still don't like the idea, though. I don't see why people can't just solve their issues like rational folk, not animals."

Then she cut a look at Ky, flushing. "No offense meant, of course."

DaGlobster

"I have taken no offense to that. I am aware that bloodshed will always be bloodshed, but when it comes to regaining one's honor, there are only actions, not words."

He spoke wistfully, as if this was some sort of personal reflection and not an actual quality of his society.

Rhindeer

"I agree. But I also think fighting isn't the only means of achieving that," Misae said, and deigned not to mention that she viewed it as boorish and brutish and uncivilized! But then, it was frowned upon in her society. Cooperation was stressed, and community. Fighting only drove people apart.

Soon, they reached the Colosseum, and Misae hedged at the entrance. "I hope it's just a hunt today."

DaGlobster

"It's hardly hunting," Ky said, practically sneering at the words Misae used. Looking down at her, he sighed. "I loathe this place as well. Let's get this over with quickly."

Rhindeer

Misae rolled her shoulders back and straightened up proudly. For some reason, doing a confident posture always made her feel a bit more confident herself, as though the action bled into her emotions. Like an actor donning a mask and becoming the character, she supposed.

"In we go," she agreed, and, clasping his hand tightly, lead the way in through the large arched entrance where countless other spectators were crowding through.

DaGlobster

Ky weaved through the crowd behind Misae. Some of the patrons were giving them odd stares, but together, they were less conspicuous, and looked more like foreigners than anything else.

"It looks like today's games are about to begin..."

Rhindeer

"Indeed," Misae said, picking up her pace and leading him along, hoping to get a good spot. They went up some stairs, further up into the amphitheater, before she found a space wedged between some other patrons.

She had to push her way up to the front, but she dragged Ky with her and looked out over the arena below--right as the portcullis on both ends opened.

On one side, a large hippopotamus charged inside.

On the other, a man armed with a spear.

Misae squinted, leaning forward. To her, the hippo was a blur, and the man was worse, no features distinguishable.

"The man," she said, urgently. "What does he look like? Can you tell?"

DaGlobster

Aun'Vratyis placed his hand against the low wall implemented to protect patrons, observantly watching the fight. "The man's a bit short, 5"6' probably. Moderately muscled, blonde hair..." He paused for a few moments, squinting his eyes. "Green eyes, old scar across his mouth, vertically."

He looked down at her for her answer.

Rhindeer

Misae let out a relieved breath, her body visibly deflating. "Oh...it's not him," she breathed.

It wasn't him going against the enraged and confused hippo, which was now charging forward.

It wasn't him dodging and fighting, opening up bloody gashes in the poor creature's hide.

It wasn't him that made one wrong move, one small miscalculation, one misstep that gave that enraged animal the opportunity it was waiting for and let it snap him up in its massive jaws.

It wasn't her husband she heard scream right before he was torn in half.

Misae went impossibly pale, her eyes clenched shut as she wobbled where she stood, her hands gripping the wall in front of her until her knuckles went white.

DaGlobster

Ky watched the fight until it's bitter end, only turning his eyes away when it was clear the man was doomed. The crowd around them exploded into cries, some cheering, some jeering, some laughing. Looking down to Misae, Ky saw she was going all wobbly, and quickly took her in his arms to support her.