Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Of Light and Darkness [Ethereal]

Started by Vyraena, December 13, 2014, 05:49:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vyraena

It was late at night, and the moon was hidden behind a sky full of clouds. Most people were already in their homes or asleep for the night. However, in a library near the center of Arca, a single light was shining.

There were many libraries in Arca. Vyraena had been to them all, and none had as expansive of a collection as the one she was in currently. There were countless books detailing the entire history of every one of the current nations, and some detailing ancient civilizations that no longer existed. There were collections of tomes that chronicled the history of how magic came to be. There were compendiums containing the information of all the flora and fauna in the world. There were even fairy tales and folklore.

However, what interested Vyraena currently was the tome she had in front of her. It was a detailed recollection of an ancient war, in which Gods fought Gods, and the mortals that worshiped them fought each other. She was enthralled by the story, learning of the conflict that tore an empire into pieces and threw them at each other. The story ended when every God was defeated, except for a single God who did not participate in the conflict. By default, that God and his followers were crowned the victors, and they ruled the kingdom until it's eventual demise.

As soon as Vyraena had finished reading through the tome and closed it, a woman had just approached the area in which she was sitting. She appeared to be elven, but of which exact descent Vyraena was unsure. Vyraena smiled warmly at the newcomer, but said nothing. She returned the tome to the shelf from which she had originally taken it, and then picked up a new one and returned to her seat. When she returned, the elf was sitting across the table from her. Vyraena smiled again and introduced herself. "Hello, I'm Vyraena. What brings you to this library at this time of night?"

Ethereal-Star

Obsidian walked into the library, closing the door behind her as she entered. The night was calm and serene, the moon itself shrouded by a thick layer of clouds which partially obscured it. It was her favorite time of the day, night as it was.

Inside the quiet book-filled building, the moon elf made her way to where she spotted a young human girl reading, so absorbed she was in the tome she held. Obsidian caught the title of the book from her vantage point before the girl finished reading it and put the book back where she found it, before grabbing another one. This one being a collection of works all about the Curse of Fell, the events and history before, during and after its demise to the destructive magics that tore it apart and its people alike.

"A sad tale, it t'was." Obsidian murmured, indicating her head at the book the other girl held while taking a seat at the table there. She smiled calmly at the other, looking straight into her violet-colored eyes. The girl was no doubt a Serenian, like many of the people who lived here. Obsidian sensed the magical aura that surrounded the girl, noting that it seemed to convey a certain similarity to Obsidian's own magic.

When the girl introduced herself, Obsidian smiled warmly and replied, "Well, Vyraena is it? It is a pleasure to meet you. I am Obsidian, a traveler and a mage of the moon and Her many mysteries." She settled her staff next to her by the table, resting the black length of it against the wood of the table. "As for why I am here, I'd imagine for much the same reasons as you yourself are. Am I correct?" she smiled with a friendly twinkle in her eye at Vyraena.

Vyraena

Vyraena smiled again. "I suppose so, seeing as there's really only one reason one would come to a library, anyway."

She sat down the book she had picked up on the table so that she wouldn't come off as rude. There was something different about this elf than most of the other people she had met. On top of that, she had said she was a mage of the moon, something that definitely wasn't said too frequently around Arca.

Vyraena crossed her legs and placed her elbows on the table, cupping her chin with her hands. She tilted her head slightly, but made eye contact with Obsidian. "In all honesty, though, I read when I'm bored... and seeing as there was nothing particularly interesting going on tonight, here I am. Knowledge is such a valuable resource, one not nearly valued enough by most humans."

Ethereal-Star

"Yes I am in complete agreement. Such wise words for one so young. But then again, some among my kind might consider me young as well." Obsidian laughed quietly, a gentle, musical sound.

Straightening out her mage clothing, the moon elf returned her attention back to Vyraena. The girl seemed to have a certain inner strength about her that was to be admired. Also her words on the importance of knowledge set her apart from most others. "But in some regards, what may be even more important than knowledge itself, is self-knowledge. After all, one cannot go very far in life if one does not know what they want to accomplish."

Obsidian paused, thinking. "To know one's inner self, one's personal strengths as well as weaknesses can lead oneself to a much more richer and therefore fulfilled life. But I am certain we all have our different viewpoints on this topic." she finished, idly twirling a lock of her blue hair in her slender fingers. "It is not my place to tell others what to believe. I am merely offering my thoughts on the matter."

Vyraena

"I'm fairly knowledgeable about myself. For example, I know some of my strengths and weaknesses. If you asked me what I want, or what I need, I could tell you for that moment in time, or perhaps slightly into the future." Vyraena said as she changed her position once more, crossing her legs in an attempt to get more comfortable. She reached up with her right hand to push a stray piece of hair out of her face and place it behind her ear.

"But I'm glad I don't know everything about myself. Part of the thrill of life is learning more about who you are. If you knew everything, what would be the point of life?"

Ethereal-Star

Obsidian's eyes twinkled as she listened to the girl speak. "I suppose there is a certain beauty in that." the moon elf surmised. "However, there is something to be said for finding the answers to which one seeks. Almost like a piece of the puzzle clicking into place."

She glanced out the window of the library where the moon was still partially covered by clouds. "I myself feel most at peace when I stand underneath the moon's rays and just bask in Her beauty. It is a most wonderful, ethereal feeling, that sense of learning a bit more about oneself and how we all fit into the web of life." she smiled briefly at the thought before looking up at Vyraena again. "So, tell me, young Vyraena a little about yourself. We seem to have made a good start so far, wouldn't you say?"

Vyraena

Vyraena smiled. "Indeed we have. Well, where to start..."

Vyraena looked up at the ceiling of the library, then back down at Obsidian. "I suppose you could say I'm an exile of sorts. Well, in the fact that I cut ties with my family and choose to remain estranged from them. Other than that, I'm well versed in both Light and Shadow Magic. I work as a contracted sorceress, taking jobs by request. What else?"

She shrugged her shoulders. "I suppose all that's left is that I go on adventures around Serendipity in an effort to collect as much knowledge as possible." As her eyes met Obsidian's, she smiled again. "And what about you?"

Ethereal-Star

"How very tragic, to cut ties with one's own family." Obsidian murmured quietly but did not press the issue.

At the mention of Vyraena's magical focus, Obsidian definitely took an interest in that. "Really? Light and Shadow Magic, you say? How very interesting that is. I myself employ a kind of magic similar to what you speak of, that of lunar magic, drawing upon moonbeams and the night itself."

When the Serenian girl asked for Obsidian to tell about herself, the moon elf replied, "Well, as you already know, I am a lunar mage. I hail from a far distant elven village, where the main religion there is that called 'Mysteria.' It is a moon deity religion, where those that come to the Temple honor and worship many different moon gods and goddesses as well as the Moon itself. While we have many gods in the religion the primary goddess whom most worship revolves around is Nephril, the Mother of all moon deities. It is to Her I also make my allegiance, having served as a priestess for many a year. I no longer do of course, but perhaps one day I can return there to continue where I left off."

Obsidian paused for a moment, letting the other mage have a chance for all that to sink in, before continuing. "I left because most in Nephril's service choose to undergo a journey of self-realization. For me that involves traveling to many a locale learning what I can, not only about myself but of the world around me." She smiled at Vyraena. "So far, the journey has proved quite fruitful and I will have much to talk about when I return one of these decades."

"I am also a member of a Serenian magic guild. Perhaps you've heard of it?"

Vyraena

Vyraena sat there observantly as the elf told her story, captivated by the mention of a culture that she knew little about. She wanted to know more about this religion and of this village, but for now, that could wait. What had really interested her was Obsidian's response to the mention of her own magic.

Vyraena had never met anyone with a similar magic to hers before. Of course, it wasn't quite the same concept, but nevertheless it interested Vyraena a great deal. She would have to ask to see it later, in exchange for a demonstration of her own magic.

When the elf asked her about the guild, she smiled an awkward smile. "If you're referring to The Elementalists' Guild, then yes, I have heard of them. Unfortunately I can't say that I'm extremely invested in them or know much about them. I only know them through name." She replied with a tone indicating that she felt bad about her lack of knowledge on the subject, but would like to hear more about them if Obsidian wished to tell her.

Ethereal-Star

Obsidian smiled then. "Well, let's see, The Elementalists' Guild is of course, a guild dedicated to the study and practice of elemental magic--all kinds of elemental magic that is. It's purpose is three-fold, not just being a guild but a place of learning much like a school as well as being a gathering place for those of like mind to discuss what they know about it, its principles, practices, props, and everything else that could possibly be related to it. The guild while small at the moment, has been around for a few years trying to gain more members. We also like to go on quests especially if it is to help the general populace with our magic or to find some obscure object of magical power in some forgotten ruins somewhere that could prove of great value to the guild."

She thought a moment and continued speaking. "There are a few libraries there with one grand library that easily rivals the other three, both in terms of size and contents. We have many rooms at the guild, including many casting rooms in which to practice whatever your elemental talent may be. One of the most important things about the guild is that we are divided into groups based on our elemental affinities. I, for one, am in the Sylph group which caters to the elements of air, sky, storm, light, dark and ether. Since my magic encompasses the elements of both light and dark as well as sky, that is where my place in the guild lies."

Obsidian gazed at Vyraena thoughtfully. "You know, someone of your talents would be very much appreciated there. Light and Shadow Magics are not as well-practiced throughout the lands, not as much as the traditional four. However you are under no obligation to join. I merely bring it up as a point of interest for another much like myself." The moon elf smoothed out her mage outfit as she awaited the other girl's response.

Vyraena

Vyraena thought for a moment, then smiled at Obsidian. "At this point, I can't offer a definite answer. Although the idea of it does intrigue me. Perhaps at some point we could visit, and I could see for myself whether I would like to join or not?"

Ethereal-Star

"If you wish to visit the guild, you are more than welcome to do so." Obsidian replied, tucking a strand of blue hair behind one pointed ear. She folded her hands in front of her on the table, glancing at the moon briefly through the window as the light from the nearby candelabra cast dancing shadows across the dark gray stone floor. She smiled again, a faraway look on her face as though mesmerized by the night's beauty even though she'd seen it countless times before. The lunar mage soon returned her focus to the other mage sitting across from her.

"You say you are a contracted sorceress? What exactly does that entail? It sounds like an interesting job. I would love to know more about it."

Vyraena

"I travel from city to city and take jobs by request. I don't really care what type of job it is, to be honest. The only things I won't do are theft, assassination and the like." Vyraena explained. "I've built up quite the reputation for myself. At first, it was difficult to find work, but now it's easy."

Ethereal-Star

Obsidian nodded in understanding. She was glad the girl refused work of that sort. It was hardly honorable and quite vile, devoid of compassion or consideration for others. "Well, may I inquire as to what sort of jobs you do perform? It seems like a nice way to earn a living, using your magic to help others." she smiled at Vyraena in approval.

Vyraena

Vyraena thought for a moment. "Well, in the past I have taken jobs such as the extermination of beasts that were causing trouble for farming villages. Another was being a bodyguard of sorts for a noble's daughter. That type of thing."

Ethereal-Star

"All very noble deeds." Obsidian nodded in approval. "So would you tell me more about your magical practice? And perhaps we could each demonstrate some of our talents to one other?"

Vyraena

"Hmmm... It's kind of difficult to explain. It would be easier for me to show you." Vyraena said with a smile. "Shall we go outside?"

Ethereal-Star

"By all means." Obsidian answered. She got up and picked up her bag and staff, then gestured with a hand towards the library exit. "Lead the way."

Vyraena

As they walked towards the door, Vyraena started up the conversation again. "So what brings you to Arca?"

Ethereal-Star

As the two exited the library, the full moon now shining out from behind the clouds, white face looking ever so surreal, Obsidian paused a moment to answer Vyraena's question. "I came to this library, hoping to find something of particular interest for me but I suppose that can wait until later." she explained, glancing at the Serenian mage from the corner of her eye. "I was told that what I sought could be found here. But nonetheless, we are outside and I very much would love to see a demonstration of your magical focus." Glancing upwards at the sky, she smiled. "The moon has decided to show Her wondrous face. She is a beauty, is She not?"