Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Of Light and Darkness [Ethereal]

Started by Vyraena, December 13, 2014, 05:49:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vyraena

"Indeed."

Vyraena walked out into an open area, and turned to face Obsidian. "You may want to take a few steps back, just in case."

Ethereal-Star

The lunar mage smiled and did as she was told, stepping back far enough to give the Serenian woman space to perform her magic. "Alright then, I hope this will suffice?" Obsidian asked. She was eager to see the display of magic, but kept a calm front about it and waited.

Vyraena

Vyraena held out her right hand, and an orb of light appeared in between her and Obsidian. The shadows around them began to dance around, becoming distorted. The light began to expand, but stopped once it was a good size. It all appeared to be normal light and shadow magic.

Then, when she waved her hand, the orb of light began to change. The white, glowing light began to fade to black. It still looked like light, and it still glowed, but where a once vibrant white orb had been, a solid black one now took its place. Vyraena raised her hand, and the orb exploded into a pillar of black light. When it faded, Vyraena was looking at Obsidian with a smile on her face.

Ethereal-Star

"Very impressive." Obsidian watched as the pillar of black light then dissipated into the surroundings to blend again with the shadows around the area they were in. "That is quite a feat, blending the two of them like that." she stated with admiration.

"You might be disappointed that my own magic works the usual way, with Light and Darkness being separate from each other. However, there is an aspect to my magic that makes it it's own kind of unique." she explained, a wry smile on her face. "Shall I demonstrate?"

Vyraena

"Go ahead." Vyraena answered. "I would love to see it."

Ethereal-Star

"Alright then." Obsidian answered.

Raising her staff toward the moon, she began to channel moonlight from it until it filled the crystal on top of her staff with a bright, swirling, mystical light, more vivid than it was normally. Once she gathered enough light she directed the magic into her right hand, where it began to take the shape of a glowing bluish silver ball of moonlight. Suspended in the air just above her palm, the moon elf made the orb grow in size but still retained a pale soft glow about it, just like that of moonbeams. Then all of a sudden, she released the ball of moonlight and it burst into tiny sparks of light, that were positioned around them like tiny stars glittering in the air. Meanwhile the light from the moon itself shone down upon them in beams of soft grey, illuminating everything in a pale ethereal wonderland.

With a wave of her staff, Obsidian dispersed the energy and it retreated back to where it came from. Waving her staff again, the lunar mage made the shadows from the night grow thick and dense around her making her seemingly disappear from the other mage's sight. They coalesced around her like a black cloak before melding into the environment itself to the point where Obsidian was no longer visible.

Then in just one more second she reappeared again, holding her staff proudly. "There you have it, a simple demonstration of my moon magic. I am able to do some limited dream magic as well, but that is obviously more tricky to show." she smiled.

Vyraena

"It's beautiful magic, to be sure." Vyraena said with a smile. "It really captures the entire essence of the moon and night sky, but I suppose that would be the point, wouldn't it?" With that, she giggled a little.

Ethereal-Star

"It is indeed." Obsidian answered, just enjoying the night and the outdoors. "If you like, we can sit out here and discuss things more or would you rather venture back indoors? I would love to discuss the philosophy behind both our magics to one another, so we each can learn more about them and their different applications." The moon elf looked at the sorceress expectantly. "Tis' a lovely night to sit and chat, wouldn't you say?"

Vyraena

"Indeed. It's quite beautiful out here. I wouldn't mind sitting outside and chatting." Vyraena said with a smile. "Unless you would like to head inside so that you might find what you came here for to begin with."

Ethereal-Star

"In a few minutes, I will." Obsidian replied. "At this time, I would very much love to talk about our magics." She sat down over by a tall tree and smoothed out her garb before speaking again. The mage waited for Vyraena to come over and sit as well, then replied, "The religion I practice ties heavily into my lunar and dream magics. Some might say they are one and the same."

Vyraena

Vyraena sat down across from Obsidian, and when the other mage was finished talking, Vyraena explained her magic a bit. "Mine was more of a realization. In fact, this library should carry the book I wrote on how I discovered it."

Ethereal-Star

As Vyraena explained how she came about her magic, Obsidian listened attentively. "How very fortunate." the moon elf responded. "I suppose that is what you came here for then? Or is there another reason?"

Vyraena

"Knowledge is a valuable resource, one not nearly prized enough by humans." Vyraena explained. "I am simply here to learn as much as I can."

Ethereal-Star

"A worthy quest." Obsidian nodded. "I myself came to find a book on a particular fairy tale. It is called "Tales of Sun and Moon: A Love Story." I wish to study its deeper meanings and symbolism, for I believe it could carry some important life messages. As all fairy tales tend to portray some sort of lesson within their pages." She briefly met Vyraena's gaze and continued. "I was told I could find it here."

Vyraena

"I believe I've seen it, actually. Fairy tales tend to be my favorite stories." Vyraena said, motioning for the other woman to follow.

After walking back a few shelves, Vyraena walked down the row and started looking through books. After a few minutes, she picked on out and handed it to Obsidian. "Here it is."

Ethereal-Star

Obsidian took the book from Vyraena and glanced at the book. "Yes, this is exactly what I am looking for. Thank you." She ran a hand over the black ornate cover, its border consisting of white swirly lines coalescing together and bunching up at the corners in a beautiful design. "Are you familiar with the story? You said you love fairy tales."

Vyraena

"I'm afraid I haven't read that one yet." Vyraena said with sigh. "I've been busy lately."

Ethereal-Star

"Tis a wonderful, but sad tale about forbidden love. Sun and Moon were in love with one another and would try everything in their power to be together, but it would never work out. They tried everything from creating cosmic gateways to each other to sending each other messages. Each time though something would happen that would drive the two further apart instead of closer together. The cosmos after all forbid the union, saying they each had their duties and that love was not in the equation.

In the end, Moon suffered an immense tragedy and was destroyed not long after. The universe was thrown into chaos, and Sun grieved for his lost love, knowing that their love was in fact a doomed one from the start." Obsidian sighed and tucked a strand of hair behind an ear before continuing. "One message that the story reveals is that sometimes things don't always work out the way we want, but that there is always a good reason for it. That the cosmos has grand plans for us all.

Indeed the story finishes off with Sun becoming a great leader of the cosmos and reigned as a magnificent ruler ever since. Legend has it that he still does so to this very day, but still mourns the loss of his beloved in silence, keeping a single teardrop from her that he cherishes with his very light and life." Obsidian smiled a sad smile at the memory of the ending.

Vyraena

"That is sad." Vyraena said. "But it has a good message."

Ethereal-Star

"Yes it does." Obsidian responded, clutching the book in her hands and gazing down at it briefly before looking back up. "I am most eager to read it again and uncover more of its minor messages and symbolism. Tis' been awhile since I last perused its pages."