Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Of Light and Darkness [Ethereal]

Started by Vyraena, December 13, 2014, 05:49:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vyraena

"I'm happy to just be able to browse through the library." Vyraena said. "It's been a while since I've had this kind of free time."

Ethereal-Star

"Your work must keep you very busy then." the moon elf surmised. "I myself have had more time in my life since I began my travels many moons ago. Most of my time is spent wandering the roads and visiting many a locale, seeing the sights and taking in what I can. As well as my personal musings of course."

Vyraena

"Well, when I'm not working I'm typically exploring." Vyraena explained. "So it's rare that I'm in the city with free time on my hands."

Ethereal-Star

"Well then, why don't we both sit down and have some reading time? I myself am quite eager to reread this gem of a book here." indicating the book in her hands. Picking up her staff from its leaning position by one of the bookcases, she gestured for them to go sit at the table they were previously at. Obsidian pulled out the chair she had been sitting in and sat down in it, placing the book on the table in front of her, her staff leaning against the table. "Some quiet time is always lovely."

Vyraena

"Indeed. I'll be back in a moment. I just came to think of a particular book that I would be interested in reading."

With that, Vyraena turned and began to walk towards the back of the library.

Ethereal-Star

While Obsidian waited for Vyraena to return, the lunar mage opened up the book in front of her and began reading. She had just finished the first page when the other mage came back. Obsidian looked up as the Serenian sorceress arrived and asked her, "I trust you found whatever it was you were looking for?"

Vyraena

"I did." Vyraena said, taking a seat across from the other mage and placing the book on the table. "It's a compendium on the different kinds of known magics."

Ethereal-Star

"Oh?" Obsidian took a look at the book that Vyraena brought to the table. "I don't believe I've seen that particular tome before, although I am quite familiar with the types of magics to be found in Le'ranna. In the village I hail from, there were many books detailing the different branches of magic each in a separate compilation that could be found at the library back at home. There were quite a few of them I might add." the moon elf smiled. "Magic while beautiful, is also mysterious and powerful. One must always be careful in its usage. But I am certain you know this." Obsidian said, looking sideways at the Serenian.

The lunar mage turned back to her fairy tale book and resumed her reading, but not before saying to Vyraena, "But let us enjoy this quiet time that we have."

Vyraena

Vyraena smiled at the elf, then picked up the book she had picked out and began browsing through the pages. When she got to the section on light magic, Vyraena began to browse through the different kinds, and the different spells.

Ethereal-Star

Absorbed in her own book, Obsidian read through the first chapter and proceeded onto the second chapter. Time passed by in the library and some library attendants came around and began lighting a few more candles for the elf and sorceress to read by. Then they walked off to the back of the building, entering one of the back rooms there closing the heavy oaken door after them. Obsidian and Vyraena were left alone to their own devices again.

After finishing three chapters, and scribbling some notes down on some parchment Obsidian had brought out from her bag, she bookmarked the place where she left off with one of the written notations and closed the book. There were ten chapters total in this book, so she wasn't even halfway through. However she wanted to ask Vyraena something.

"So, Vyraena, I apologize for disturbing you, but I have a question I'd like to ask. What do you think of chasing a dream that is not meant to ever come true or one that is improbable? Do you think one should keep trying or simply give up? Or perhaps find a loophole and go on from there? One of the messages in the story has me wondering this very thing. I'd like your opinion if at all possible."

Vyraena

Vyraena put the book she was reading down and considered the elf's question. "Well, there's no way to know you can't get there unless you keep trying. Besides, half of the time it's not about what lies at the end of the road, but what you find along the way. Perhaps if a dream is not meant to come true, you have that very dream for the single purpose of experiencing the journey that moves you closer to it. Does that make sense?"

Ethereal-Star

"Yes, quite. I can't help but wonder though, if Sun and Moon had somehow found a loophole, they could have been together. I have long been a believer of that we choose our own destiny, our fate does not choose us. All it takes is to search deep within to find that which one seeks and the rest will follow. However, this book here seems to imply that no matter what they did, it would never work out.

As for what each gained, yes tis' true Sun became a great leader of the cosmos, while Moon found the peace she sought in death. Sun grieved for his loss but at least he had a keepsake of Moon to remember her by. But it isn't the same as them being together. I just find the whole tale rather sad, no matter how many times I read it, that sense that they didn't achieve their own personal dreams despite the sacrifices they made seems rather harsh I would say. Perhaps it wasn't meant to be, and I know life does not always give us warnings about such." Obsidian paused, and looked down at the book again.

"Other fairy tales I've read seem to encourage the concept that love conquers all, but here...It clearly did not. All that was left for them at the end was despair and death. Perhaps I just need some more time to think on it all." Sighing, Obsidian placed her hands in her lap, frowning. "While I love the tale, I sometimes wonder if it could have gone a different way." the moon elf said, looking back up at Vyraena.

Vyraena

Vyraena smiled at the elf. "It is sad, but I believe at least part of what the story says is true. Just because you want something that badly, doesn't mean it's always right for you. Also, while we may be able to influence what happens to us, we can't control everything. For example, if I wished to be able to fly, and wanted it more than anything else, and truly believed that it was my destiny to fly, it doesn't mean I will grow wings."

Ethereal-Star

Obsidian smiled at the reply. "Yes, I would imagine not." she stated, smiling at the other mage. "And I thank you for your input, I really do. It is nice to discuss such things with others, about the many meanings of life and what could be."

Opening the book up again, she found the page she had stopped at and told Vyraena, "Well, I suppose I should leave you to your reading again, as I too shall continue mine." Once more, the moon elf began reading the words on the parchment as the night stretched on.

Vyraena

Vyraena simply smiled and picked up her book where she had left off. She was looking for information on one spell in particular, but as she perused through the pages, she read through all the others as well. After all, all knowledge was valuable.

Ethereal-Star

As the moon elf finished reading the last page, jotting down more notations on her papers in front of her, she closed the book with a sigh, both saddened and happy at the same time. Saddened because of the ending, but glad that she had a chance to read through the story once more. Looking out the window, Obsidian guessed the time to be approximately four in the morning. There was a sundial outside, but at this angle the lunar mage could not see it that well.

Getting up to put back the book on the shelf where Vyraena had found it and putting away her notes into her bag, Obsidian sat back down again, glancing at the Serenian sorceress for a moment to see what she was doing.

Vyraena

"Interesting." Vyraena said as she came to the end of the chapter on light magic. "It seems they have no information on the spell I was looking for."

Ethereal-Star

Obsidian perked an eyebrow up at that response. "Really?" she asked, curious. "What spell is that, may I inquire?"

Vyraena

"Final Light." Vyraena said. "It's a spell that allows a mage who is very proficient in light magic to release their soul from their body as they die and imbue it in the light around them, essentially causing their souls to live on in the light that illuminates the universe. Only a handful of extremely talented mages have every used it successfully, but I was hoping to at least learn more about it."

Ethereal-Star

"That is an extremely advanced spell." Obsidian considered what she had just been told.

"I have heard of it before, but I do not yet possess the skill to safely cast it. The only things I really know about it are two factors: one, that right as one's soul is leaving their body, they must call upon the spirits of light for protection first in order to avoid any complications, especially from the spirits of darkness. This helps to ensure things go smoothly."

"The second factor is to allow yourself to attune wholly with both the light of the spirits and that of universal light in general in order to fully integrate one's spirit, soul and life essence into the fabric of existence through a complicated process called, "Assimilation". The study of that is one of the most important steps a mage can take before they even attempt such magics. Otherwise they will most certainly fail."

Obsidian frowned as she thought of something else. "There are also certain circumstances regarding the nature of the mage's death as well, but sadly I know not what those may be." she explained to Vyraena. "That is also something to consider." The moon elf folded her hands in her lap as she looked at the other mage to note her reaction.