Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Prize of the Hunt [Gryphon!]

Started by Ahnnie, December 14, 2014, 03:47:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ahnnie

((sorry if it took a while, I was doing a written assignment alongside rp, bad me XD))

Temujin surveyed the landscape before him, watching the rolling green hills of the Wester Highlands as he tried to single out a piece of prey. For he had not eaten much in quite a while--two days, was it?--and prey had just been hard to catch those past two days. Berries and nuts sustained him but they were not enough for the young nomad. He was astounded at his bad luck, but it hopefully wouldn't go on past today. A third day without substantial food...ugh, curse the gods, they might just be abandoning him.

He dismounted from his horse, tying the reins to a nearby tree, as he decided to take this on foot. He figured he'd probably be able to use all the stealth that he could get, and if his horse was scaring the smaller prey away, he decided he could do without the trusty old steed for now. If only he had his hunting hawk with him; that would allow him to take his horse along, even for the smallest mouse. Hunger sure drove people to do desperate things.

He crested the ridge of a small hill, spying a young wild goat grazing on the grass below him. Perfect. He took hold of an arrow from the quiver, notched it onto the bow, and strung it back farther and farther, the magic of the bow working in his eyes to zoom his sight in on the prey...when it suddenly perked up, and bolted. Curses! His farsight thwarted, he tried his best to aim an arrow after it anyway. The arrow sang through the air but hit the grass where the goat had once been, missing it completely.

He almost felt like pitying himself. Had he still been in his tribe, he would have been able to get food without having to starve day by day like this. There was the braided bread the women of the tribe would make, an abundance of meat jerky produced by the work of many people, and not to mention no shortage of manpower when it came to hunting, so no matter how bad the luck of one hunter ran, another was sure to find something suitable. Tribe life was not like Common life, but it was much better than starving and toiling out in the wild alone, like this...

Temujin slid back down the hill from where he came up and slumped against it, exasperated. He was feeling very miserable at this moment, even if it was just two days without food. For it was not just food, but tonight's camp that he had to think about as well. Setting it up always took time, and unfortunately effort, which wouldn't be so hard to give forth if it were not for this bad streak in his hunting. He was not growing lazy...no, hardly...just tired. He needed energy, which came in the form of food, most ideally meaty protein, and he needed it soon.

He rose to his feet with a sigh of resignation and walked back to where he remembered he'd tied his horse. He was just going on, his stony gray eyes still scanning the landscape anyway in case another animal showed up, when between a few trees he caught sight of a most unusual creature. He couldn't see much of it, but he swore it had the head of an eagle--if that eagle were twice the size of a wolf! Maybe more, he couldn't tell. He immediately hid behind a bush to keep himself from being visible to the big eagle. Then, drawing out another arrow, he notched it and pulled back on the string of the bow, letting his magical farsight zoom in on that nice juicy roasting bird he could already imagine in his mind...

Klezmer Gryphon

Shamgar sighed drearily as he walked through the green hills of the plains. While the gryphon certainly could have traveled by wing to the next town over and avoided a few days of travel, he hadn't eaten more than a couple of rabbits since the previous morning, and wasn't prepared to expend that much energy without a full belly. Guess those hunters weren't lying when they said game was hard to find these days...

Pausing beneath a small grove of trees, the gryphon took a long look at his surroundings. The air was still, with only a slight breeze swaying the long grass of the steppe before him. Off in the distance, his vibrant green eyes caught a lone hawk circling in the skies, as if it were taunting him.

"Alas, I envy thee, hawk, for thou art satisfied with mere vermin and mice. Yet I would be kept from yonder sky for want of more than what for thou would suffice!" the gryphon muttered. Extending his wings, Shamgar's beak formed into a deep frown as he looked over them. His dark grey feathers were matted, dirty and falling out in places; even if he could fly, he'd probably lose all of his feathers with one flap of his wings! Damn you, molting... Lost in his thoughts about losing feathers, the troubled, hungry gryphon wasn't aware of hunter with the drawn bow hiding in the bushes and trees, taking aim and waiting to loose an arrow.

Ahnnie

"Alas, I envy thee, hawk, for thou art satisfied with mere vermin and mice. Yet I would be kept from yonder sky for want of more than what for thou would suffice!"

Temujin paused, looking up a bit sharply. Did the eagle just...speak? He frowned. It was hard to tell, for it was not that loud or obvious...but it did sound like it was muttering something to itself...he shook his head. No, he must've been going crazy with hunger! Eagles couldn't speak! He continued drawing on his bow, training his eye once more on the giant eagle. "I'll roast you up nice and well," he said to himself. "I'm finally going to have a full belly tonight!"