Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Here there be dragons. [Vyraena]

Started by Rhindeer, January 08, 2015, 12:56:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rhindeer

Startled at that statement, for many reasons, Khero spun around to face him, eyes wide. "Wha? Me? A party? With rich folk and all? Er. I--yeah, of course, but...I apologize, but I'm afraid I don't know the first thing about that stuff. That is, I can fill drinks, that don't seem hard. And I can stand around, sure, that's easy. But uh, I'm just a peasant."

She worried at the hem of her tunic. "Ain't got no pretty noble ladies to go with ya?"
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Vyraena

"I'm not looking to get involved with an affair tonight." Darius said plainly. "Should I invite a noblewoman, it always ends that way."

He shifted a little in his seat to get more comfortable. "Besides, if you're going to be around here, you're going to be interacting with a lot of nobility. I'm a fairly important nobleman here in Adela, and if I do say so myself I seem to be quite popular." At that, Darius couldn't help but chuckle.

"This will be a good experience for you, Khero, to get you accustomed to my lifestyle."

Rhindeer

"That's...that's true," Khero said, while thinking that she wasn't going to be here long enough to ever get accustomed to it. Tonight, maybe tomorrow, she would make her first attempt at escape. There was no time to waste. It had been a week already, and would take even longer traveling back with nothing to her name, and she needed to get back home. This all seemed wonderful, and someone weaker may have been seduced into it, but it was a lie.

She forced a smile. "I'm honored ya think I'm suited for the task. I'll do my best not to disappoint ya. Or make a giant fool of myself. No guarantees."
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Vyraena

"Perfect! Take tonight to get settled in, then." Darius said with a bright smile. "I'll be in my chambers. I have some work to attend to."

Darius left the room and opened the doors to his own chamber, closing himself inside. He kept no guards within the building itself, only two at the very front gate to his property. After all, he was a dragon. Even in human form, he was an extremely powerful mage, and his heightened perception made him capable of dealing with matters himself.

Rhindeer

Once Darius was out the door, Khero let out a sigh of relief, some of the tension she'd been holding within her flooding out. She went the door and closed it, and then went to the closet and sifted through the clothes for something simple and practical that would also fit. Luckily, she had a slight figure made slighter by malnourishment, so it looked like the dresses would fit.

First things first, then. Getting out of the slave garb. She wouldn't get far in the city if everyone spotted her for a slave.

She changed into a simple dress, one she felt she could easily move in--well, simple as far as all those fancy dresses went!--and then stood in the mirror and did what she could to fix her choppy hair into some semblance of order. Then she grabbed a pillow, removed the pillowcase, and started to pack. She didn't take anything big; she grabbed a hand mirror sitting on the nightstand, a couple small candle holders that looked expensive, and a few other minor decorations that looked like they could fetch a good price; she'd need the money to travel. Then she stuffed another dress inside the case and arranged everything to pillow the items so they wouldn't clink about or break.

Once she was done, she tied off the pillowcase and settled down on the bed to wait, shoving the packed pillowcase under the bed, just in case Darius tried to check in on her before he went to sleep.

She would wait a few hours, wait until the house went silent, and then she'd get out of here.

Vyraena

Darius had engrossed himself in his work, staying in his room. His room did have a large window on the side, and he was able to see quite well out of it.

One of two things was going to happen tonight, Darius knew. Khero would try to escape, and fail. Either that, or she would accept the fact that she was a slave now. That's how it always worked, and Darius highly doubted the second option based off of her personality and past. Still, he was giving her a chance to prove him wrong.

He let himself be engrossed in his work, and unless he had a reason to, he wouldn't check on Khero. He was a Shadow Dragon. The shadows bent to his will, the night was when he was most comfortable. Perhaps he would even slip away tonight and go hunting, after he determined what would be happening in his manor.

Rhindeer

It was well past midnight before Khero decided to make a break for it. Darius hadn't checked on her, and everyone should be asleep by now, she thought. And the house had been silent to her ears for some time now.

Moving cautiously, with a practiced silence she'd learned from years of sneaking around, she picked up her pillowcase, headed for her window, and opened it.

It squeaked, and she winced and went very still, breath held as she waited and counted, but when nothing happened after several minutes, she slowly worked it open the rest of the way.

It was fortunate that they were on the ground flood. That made life so much easier for her, and so she looked around cautiously, searching for guards or anyone who might be patrolling the grounds, and then climbed slowly out the window. Lowering herself to the ground, she fell into a crouch and pressed against the side of the building, sticking to the shadows and waiting again, scarcely breathing, letting her eyes adjust to the dark, letting her heart calm, and getting herself attuned to what she had to do.

And then, when she was ready, she slung the pillowcase over her shoulder and started to creep around the building, keeping low as she headed for the wall. She wouldn't use the main gate; she would find a way to climb over.

Vyraena

Darius was still doing work when he began to sense the disturbance. He felt it from the shadows, just as he had predicted. He sighed, and his body began to fade, dispersing into the shadows from within his room.

As Khero would approach the wall, as she got ever so close to escape, she would notice the shadows in front of her swirling into the shape of a man, and she would feel a chill down her spine when she got close.

Rhindeer

Freedom was well within reach when...

Well, when the shadows were suddenly not right, and the chill hit her like being submerged in ice, and then, worse, the shadows began to take shape.

Human shape.

Khero startled and froze, having never seen anything like that before as her heart jammed itself into her throat and made it hard to breathe with fear. Oh gods, how stupid could she be?! Maybe the reason he didn't have guards was because the place was magically warded! Feeling caught and panicked now, she acted out of desperation, because what else did she have to lose? Giving up all pretenses of stealth, she dropped the pillowcase, lunged to her feet, and bolted. She wasn't sure where she was going, all she knew was away from that shadow, further down along the wall, somewhere!

She just had to get out of here!

Vyraena

Darius appeared in the shadow's place, and seeing Khero take off, he sighed.

"I must say, I am disappointed, Khero. Although this was not really a surprise." He called out, loud enough that she would easily be able to hear him.

With a snap of his finger, a wall of black flame erupted out of the ground, blocking off her path entirely. The flames then started to circle around the two of them, leaving them in a ring of fire. Darius walked closer to her and sighed again. "I was hoping you would prove me wrong about my suspicions, however."

Rhindeer

Flames erupted from the earth, black and awful, and Khero let out a cry of fright and stumbled to a stop. She whirled around, ready to flee in the other direction, but the flames were circling her now.

Circling she and Darius.

Her heart beat wildly, her breath coming in panicked bursts, and she backed away from him until she could feel the heat of the flames at her back. "Wha...what are ya...?"

Vyraena

"I did mention that I was different from other humans, did I not?" Darius said, still with a smile on his face. "What it is exactly that I am doesn't matter."

Darius sighed again. "This can't possibly be your first encounter with magic, Khero! Is it really such a shock to you?"

Rhindeer

Khero shook her head, still watching him in horror.

"It ain't. I'm a mage. But I ain't never seen no one do whatcha just did. The shadow thing," she got out between panted breaths.

Vyraena

"It's advanced shadow magic. I'm not surprised that you've never seen it done before. As for the fire, well, that's a bit of magic that's unique, belonging to me only, as far as I know." Darius said, frowning now.

"I must say, I had really hoped you would prove me wrong tonight, Khero. Oh well, perhaps it's best we got this out of the way sooner than later. I trust you understand now that I am not as simple to fool as you think?"

Rhindeer

"Prove ya wrong?" Khero repeated, voice choked with distress. "I toldja! I just wanna go home. I got a family and--and I can't stay here. I can't."

She stared up at him, once again trying, hoping she could get him to just understand. Or care. "You'd do the same thing, were ya me!"

Vyraena

Darius sighed again. It was clear he wouldn't get through to her in a kind manner, like he wanted to. "Let's see if this helps you understand." He said, changing his tone to be more firm. "This is your home now. The other servants are your family."

Darius' temper was about to flare up, which wouldn't be good for anyone. Unless he got it through her head now, he would likely overreact. "I can be a kind person, or I can be the meanest son of a bitch you've ever seen in your life. You can have full access to the grounds, able to go where you please when you please around the manor and the gardens, or you can be confined to you room and wherever else I need you to attend to. It's all up to you, and your actions. Do you understand?"

Rhindeer

Khero wanted to say more, to fight back, but she bit her tongue and reined in the impulse. She had a better chance of breaking free if she had access to the grounds, and now that she knew what he could do...she could better prepare next time. Somehow.

Either way, she wasn't going to get far tonight. This was the end of the line and she was going back no matter what--and he was making it clear that her actions would decide how she went back. Locked away or given reign of the house and gardens. Those were her options. Not the most terrible options by any means, considering the weight of what she'd done, but no less crushing.

Her hands curled into fists, and she closed her eyes to hold back the frustrated tears. "I do."

Vyraena

With that, Darius got his temper under control.

"Excellent." Darius said, and the flames around them dissipated. "Let's go back inside, then."

He turned to walk inside, and was confident that after that display Khero would follow him. If not, well, he wouldn't be as kind with her the second time.

Rhindeer

Khero didn't answer as she followed him inside, the fight gone out of her for now. She trailed him by several feet, her mind racing, part of her afraid of what waited her inside--would he really let her off the hook so easily?--while the other, more analytical side wondered if she would be more successful during the day.

She just had to be patient. She had to calm down and be smart about this. She had to get home soon, yes, but she wouldn't be able to at all if she wasn't more careful, and didn't get a better feel for this man, what he could do, and what his habits were. She had underestimated him--she wouldn't do that again.

And so she stepped back inside the house and didn't bother to wipe her tears. Let him think she'd given up. That suited her fine.

Vyraena

When they got back into the house, Darius headed straight back to Khero's new room and pushed the door open. Once they were both inside, he smiled. "Get a good night's sleep. The party begins at sundown."

He talked as if nothing had happened, as if the entire encounter outside had been nothing. Then, he left the room and retired to his own chambers once more.