Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

No cuts, no buts, no coconuts! [Vyraena!]

Started by Rhindeer, December 10, 2014, 07:36:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rhindeer

Einin rushed off, with Anya clearly trying to hold in her exasperation. But for the sake of their guest, she managed to rearrange her expression back to its usual controlled poise and grace. Anya smiled at the sorceress and inclined her head in greeting.

"Indeed it is! I must apologize for the delay, but Lord Beirne is ready to see you, now. If you'll follow me, I'll take you to him."

Under most circumstances, a servant would have done this job instead! But after hearing the state her daughter was in, Anya had wanted to fetch her herself. Oh well, no matter! It was a simple matter to lead their guest to the foyer.

"My daughter can be a little flighty sometimes," she said as they walked. "I hope she at least offered you refreshments?"
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Vyraena

"It's alright." Vyraena said to the woman. "I opted for the tour instead."

She followed the woman down the hall she had come through to get to the garden. "Your house is quite nice."

Rhindeer

"Thank you," Anya said with a smile. "My family has put a lot of work into it over the years."

Well, their servants and other hired help had, at any rate.

It wasn't a long walk back to the foyer, and when they got there, Lord Albrecht Beirne was waiting for them. He stood from his seat and motioned for Vyraena to take a seat across from him.
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Vyraena

Vyraena sat down when he motioned for her to take a seat, crossing her legs and attempting to look at least slightly ladylike... a trait that had been pretty much lost to her when she gave up her position of nobility. "You must be Lord Beirne. I understand you have an urgent request for me, yes?"

Rhindeer

When Vyraena was seated, Albrecht followed suit. Anya, on the other hand, simply smiled at the two of them and stood in the entrance way.

"I'll leave you two to it," she said as she turned to leave. "I'm going to check on our daughter."

Lord Beirne gave his wife a knowing look and a slight shake of his head, a sort of long suffering look in his eyes. But he quickly recovered, and instead adopted his usual air of professionalism as he turned his attention to Vyraena.

"Urgent is perhaps a strong word, but yes. As I understand it, you're a powerfully adept sorceress and we definitely have a use for such skills here. I just want to know what the limits of your abilities are, and how effective they would be in creating a security system of sorts. I'm not sure how much you've heard, but we've had some..." He rubbed at his temples. "...trouble lately with Einin, and I'm worried about her safety here."

Vyraena

Vyraena thought for a moment. She knew a little bit about what was going on because she did some research when she first got the request, but other than that, she didn't know all that much.

"A security system? That's a bit vague. What type of thing are you looking for exactly? An alarm system? A barrier?"

Rhindeer

"A barrier, preferably," Albrecht said. "I would like whatever is trying to get my daughter to stay out."

Vyraena

Vyraena thought for a moment about how she would be able to create a barrier that only kept out what Lord Beirne wanted it to. After a minute or so, she answered him. "It will take me a few days to construct, however, I can create it. I just need a little bit more information. Is there a focal point at which you wish people to be able to enter? If not, only you and your family will be able to pass in and out."

Rhindeer

This was turning out a bit more complicated than Albrecht had considered.

"Is there a way to get it to recognize my staff? Or people who have been granted access? If not, that's going to be a problem."

Vyraena

Vyraena thought again. "There is, but it will take a bit longer to construct if that is the case. It should be around five days in total."

Vyraena crossed her legs and started thinking again. "I do apologize that it will take so long, but you're asking for a large scale magic spell here, that by design needs to work flawlessly."

Rhindeer

"I'm a patient man," Lord Beirne said, relaxing more now that he was assured it was possible. "Five days for a spell that will protect my family? I'm willing to wait."

Vyraena

"Now, one last thing. I will need an heirloom, such as your staff, from each person who you wish to be granted access. In order for the spell to recognize each heirloom, I need to bind the barrier to this heirloom. This brings with it a few minor complications. First, should anything happen to the heirloom, such as it breaking, the barrier will cease to function correctly, and once more anyone will be able to pass." Vyraena explained, pausing for a moment for Lord Beirne to be able to process the information.

"Second, if the staff is stolen, the barrier will not recognize that the heirloom is not in possession of its proper owner, and will allow whoever has it to pass. This means that if someone is careless with their heirloom, the barrier may as well never have been constructed in the first place."

Rhindeer

...This was starting to sound like an awful lot of trouble, and Lord Beirne was seeing the flaws--the numerous, many flaws--in this method very, very fast. It would make hiring new staff or guards inconvenient, it would make inviting guests over nigh impossible, and the whole thing could come crashing down at a minor mistake. It seemed like a flimsy system, so after a moment he raised a hand to stop her.

"Let's hold off on this one for the time being, then," he said. "Before we decide anything, why don't you tell me how an alarm system would work instead."

Vyraena

Vyraena smiled when Lord Beirne appeared to have changed his mind. She was attempting to push him in a different direction, simply because she knew how complicated the barrier spell would actually be. Also, the alarm spell would be far less draining on her.

"That one's more simple." Vyraena said, and an orb of light appeared in the center of the room. "The main idea would be a screen of light surrounding your property, covering all the places where someone wouldn't normally enter the property from. For example, the walls rather than the gate. When someone passed through this screen, it would cause an orb of light to appear in front of you, letting you know someone is trespassing. The orb would then begin to float in the direction of the trespasser, leading you and your guards to them."

Rhindeer

"Hmm...that sounds more reasonable," Lord Beirne said, rubbing his chin.

"But what if I'm asleep? It may be better for it to appear before my guards rather than before me. Unless it can make sound, too."

Vyraena

"I could have it appear wherever you would like." Vyraena said with a smile. "Though I'm afraid it won't make a sound."

Rhindeer

"Then in the guards' quarters. I think that would be the best place, and attract the most attention," Lord Beirne said. "As long as it's bright and distracting and large enough to catch the eye, it won't matter that it's silent."

Vyraena

Vyraena waved her hand and a bright flash of light emanated from the orb in the center of the table. It was bright enough that anyone would have been able to see it clearly from any point in the room. "If your guards would not see that, I believe they would be asleep on duty."