Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

The Unease in the Air (M)

Started by Draconian, April 22, 2015, 02:52:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Draconian

(Green plant man violence and goooore)
Tag for Lion. Yay :B.

There was something off about the taste of the air, Adalia decided while she read her book. Her tongue went to her thumb to flip the page easier while she read by the lamp light in the corner of her fathers office. The house was silent except for the occasional page being flipped, the live in maids had gone to bed, her parents were off in some cottage for a blessed few days while they discussed whom she should be married off to.

A flash of light and thunder clapped, rattling the windows. At least that explained why the air tasted just off. It always felt weird out when there was lightning, it made her skin tingle and her hands itch, which was why the book was closed and her fingers went to her palms to rub them. 

Adalia was hardly dressed for being up and about. A floor length nighty, her gloves off, her gauntlets off. The opalescent hair was down and hung around her waist in a shimmering curtain, her mother would probably faint if she saw her daughter out of her bedroom like that, even if it was in the dead of night. It being the dead of night didn't explain the faint footsteps coming from the house, like someone was trying to be quiet.

Slowly she stood up, turning the lamp down while she stood up, her bare feet quiet upon the floor. Most of the house had stone or wooden floors with the occasional carpet, which meant the difference between silence and discovery. Still, why would someone be sneaking around the house? Why not walk normally? Frowning slightly when rain began to pour she began to walk faster down the hallway towards the relic room.

It wasn't fancy or anything, a room full of heirlooms that her parents decided were important. A few vases, some jewelry. Nothing very important, which made her curious as to why a maid would be in there at this time at night. Was she stealing? Maybe she was restless and decided to dust? A nightmare and she was restless. It wouldn't be the first time it happened. Rounding the door way, Adalia stood with her arms crossed over her chest and spoke into the darkness.

There was someone in there, which is exactly she was expecting. "Why aren't you sleeping at this time of night?" She said, curious "Is everything okay? Did you have a nightmare?" Except this shadow was a lot taller than her maid. Adalia frowned, let her hands fall to her sides just in case there wasn't a growth spurt in one of the personal maids.

Lion

"What a cliché."

Quinlan made a tch! sound when the end of his smoke went out in a hiss.  He'd been beneath the roof of a rather posh looking house, an alleyway that led out to the servant's entrance, and a droplet had fallen to the end of his smoke.  He dashed out the wet part and flicked it to the ground, grinding it beneath the heel of his boot.

One good thing about the rain, it made most people run for cover back into their houses, and the few that remained in the streets were busy minding their own business.  He grinned and looked up to the window above his head.  There didn't seem to be a guard in sight, or maybe they were just between patrols.  Whatever the case, he wasn't going to squander this opportunity to climb up to the window sill, pulling himself up with ease and sliding it open.

He was only a little damp, his feet having stepped in a puddle and he tried to kick off any excess water before slipping inside, and dropping the window down.  The wood creaked beneath his weight upon landing and he immediately stiffened.  Though the hackles were up on the back of his neck, Quinlan doubted there was anyone around.

Word around Arca had it the family that owned this house were out of town, which suited his purposes just fine.  All he needed was a peculiar looking crest and he'd be on his way out.  It was almost surprising how much people were willing to pay for magical items, and if there was one thing Serendipity had, it was magical items up the hoo-haa!  He had the fine task of procuring a particular piece, something his patron had called the Valmir Crest, the seal from an old Serenian House that faded into obscurity.

The truth was Quinlan didn't really care.  He didn't want to know what it did either.  He just wanted to get paid and move on with his life.  How it ended up in this particular house, admittedly, it was a bit curious.  Quinlan had a general idea what the object looked like, a round crest with a dais in the center around a flaming star engraving, made entirely out of silver. 

All was quiet through the house, so he stepped a little more lively, at least to get to where he needed to go quicker.  He couldn't afford to let himself get distracted by all the nice crap this house had.  When he turned a corridor he found it; which, really it wasn't that hard, since it was the room with all the fancy framed objects, some in locked cases and displayed on wall hangars.  There were weapons and jewels from all over the world, he reckoned.

They wouldn't miss a stupid little crest, which he spotted after some digging.  He examined the object, admiring the silver polish and the loose chain that hung from it.  It was the only object in the room like it, and so around his neck it went, hiding it beneath his shirt.  It felt unusually cold against his skin, even with his body cooled by the rain.  A few more stray jewels went into his pockets, because, why not!  It wasn't like the people that owned his house would even notice.

His boot creaked over the space between wood plankings in the floor and he silently cursed to himself.

"Why aren't you sleeping at this time of night? Is everything okay? Did you have a nightmare?"

Quinlan immediately froze!  He thought the family was out of town!  SHIT!  He was half hidden in the darkness of a doorway and his back was to the young woman that addressed him.  What did she think he was, the help?  Oh, good.  So she didn't immediately jump to the conclusion of intruder.  That meant she was a little slow.  This was better.

"Oh, I just thought I heard a mouse!" he said in a high-pitched voice, even slunking his form down a little and moving through the door.

Like to kill mages?  Join the Order!
The Order of St. Agratha

Help Rebuild Connlaoth from the ashes of war!
The Red Legion

Jump in the water's fine!
Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"Life is a series of dogs." -George Carlin
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

Draconian

Well, none of the maids sounded quite like that. They also wouldn't smell so... Damp. Adalia gave her fingers a flex, holding them like she was ready to claw at something. Of course she was at a disadvantage, she was barely dressed and this person came into her house. Didn't look like he was the midnight plant waterer.  "A mouse?" Was her quiet reply when she took careful steps forward towards the intruder.

"That doesn't explain why you're up my lady." She toned her voice down and took a few quiet more steps, "We can talk about it in the kitchen over tea if you've had a nightmare." Adalia said gently, pretending that she was a servant helping the lady of the house. A quick survey of the room let her know nothing big was taken.  Taking a few quiet more steps she reached out her hand for the stranger and wiggled her fingers. "Come with me Dear, you know this room is nothing but bad news."

Lion

The hackles on the back of his neck rose tenfold!  And Quinlan knew then that this woman was reaching out to touch him.  He had two choices here, to keep turn around and shove her aside and make a speedy exit, or keep his cool.  Maybe she didn't catch on just yet!

"Oh, yes a mouse, a big one!"  And that's when Quinlan snatched a stuffed, taxidermied cat from the shelf nearest him and launched it at her, and he turned to skirt around her, bolting for the hallway he came down.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

Draconian

Damn.

Adalia pulled her hand back and quickly moved to punch aside the stuffed cat aside before bolting after the intruder. If she didn't have an actively daily life she was sure this thief would have gotten away. As it were, she was fit and used to having much more clothing on. 

The pain was intense in her hand but she ignored it while she grabbed for his shoulder. Using every ounce of strength she yanked him back by the arm and held her grip there. The coat began to smoke where her hand was and she quickly moved her other hand to grab his wrist so they were skin to skin. Easier to burn him if it had to come down to it and the little thief didn't play nice. "There are no mice in my house good sir. Only giant rats." Obviously a mage now Adalia did little to hide who she was - Obviously not a maid. 

"Why are you stealing from my home." Adalia's voice was stern and didn't let on how much her hands were hurting her.

Lion

Quinlan was sure he could've made it.  The door couldn't have been far and it was just some woman in his way.  Oh sure, how very Connlaothian of him to discount her so quickly, but seeing as he already got what he came here for, he could swat her like a fly and be on his way.  However, her not dying and letting him go, was preferable to just dropping bodies everywhere.

But damn were her hands hot!  What the hell!  Quinlan abruptly turned when the woman put hands on him and the cloth of his jacket started to sizzle.  "Lemme go!" he growled, quickly getting angry.  He felt that heat, that scorching and immediately cringed.  He yanked his arm back, but her grip was surprisingly strong - and he didn't put that much back into it.

"What the fuck do you have on your hands, acid!?"  Quinlan's legs buckled and still he tried to pull away, feeling the heat only increase.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Draconian

His anger was met with her own. Adalia gave a dry chuckle at his demand and she simply gripped tighter with both her hands. Easily he could shuck off his coat to keep it from getting more crispy, but he didn't. Maybe there was something in there? It didn't matter now. She wanted answers and she wanted them now.

"Fire." She informed him simply, pulling his arm closer to her. "Tell me why you're in my home, I don't want to hurt you but you force my hand if you don't give me answers." Her eyebrows went up and she kept a calm exterior while she burnt them both. "This ability is mine and I can keep it up until you've answered my questions, and it can be much much worse." She informed him, hoping his imagination would supplement how much worse it could be.

Lion

Quinlan had been through worse pain, or so he tried to tell himself. He'd jumped through fire and been scorched and then some. But this! Gods, he was quick to remediate the list of things that hurt worse, this being a close second.  He wasn't going to bother pulling away and glared up at the albino woman with haggard eyes.  Then the contraption on his other wrist released a dagger and he cut across his pal, just grazing it enough to form droplets.

And then his palms abruptly grew cold and ice quickly spreading up both his arms and hers. And then he shoved a boot against her gut, hitting her hard enough to kick her away, snapping some of the ice that had sealed them together. Quinlan did not wait for her to recover, before forming ice spikes in his hands and throwing them at her.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Draconian

Adalia gave a hiss when there was suddenly ice on her arm. The shock of this person being a mage threw her off and she felt the boot to her stomach, which made her reel away before she quickly caught her balance.  Just in time to put her heated hands to block her face. "A mage?!" The tip of one icicle pierced her palm before it simply dripped down her hands the rest melted quickly from the heat. Adalia took a second to notice that these ones were not just plain water and even gagged a little.

"I'll pay you double what you're being paid for whatever you stole." She finally spat out, glaring at him. Maybe that would reason with him, the things in that room -while mundane and quite useless- were priceless.

Lion

[Plain water as opposed to what else?]

"I doubt you could afford it, miss!  You won't let me go?  Then you'll die here!"

Quinlan leapt for her, though he could see the heat radiating from her hands, and he formed more spikes and threw them at her.  But he wouldn't stop there and rushed at her with the dagger ready at his wrist, and he pulled another from his belt.

"Meow"

And that's when Quinlan froze.  "What the fuck?" he muttered, looking down at the stuffed cat.  Or the cat that used to be stuffed and somehow was moving again.  "Holy shit!  LOOK!"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Draconian

[Pffft I don't even know.]

The threat of death made Adalia angry. For someone who was so subdue and not at all outgoing she could fight for her life just fine. A natural aversion for not wanting to cause pain kept her from doing a great deal of things like going for this persons neck instead of just grabbing his arm. Unarmed for the most part she was at a clear disadvantage until the meow happened. Luckily for her the man was as taken aback as she was and she stared at the undead cat too, her mouth opened slightly before slamming closed again.

"What did you do?"The shock stopped her magic and her hands were burning, the skin had cracked and gone crispy and the smell of cooking meat was almost pleasant and homey until you realized it was her hands. Her fingers trembled while she stared at him, "are you a necromancer? Please." Adalia stared at him before giving the cat a sideways look and taking a few more steps away, ready to block his way if he tried to run again.

Lion

Quinlan kept his distance from this odd woman - who for all he knew probably broke into this house too and was protesting him stealing the very thing she was after! - and kept his daggers up, at least to defend himself from that potentially demonic cat!

"I didn't do jack shit!  I'm no necromancer!" he said.  "For all I know, you did it!  What with you're weird chicken-smelling hands!"

The cat purred, shaking off a bunch of dead fur, and scrambled for Adalia's feet, rubbing against her leg in great affection.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Draconian

"Chicken doesn't bring stuffed cats back to life!My hands smell like meat because I was just cooking them because you're stealing from me, you idiot." Adalia motioned to where the cat had been to look over and see an empty spot, to suddenly feel the slowly falling apart animal rubbing against her leg. A shiver went down her spine and she froze, going pale and trying to inch away. "I'm an elementalist!" Adalia informed him with a sneer, taking a few steps back only for the undead animal to make little noises - how? - and rub against her even more happy to see her again. 

"Gods, this cat died when I was twelve." She swallowed and wished she was wearing clothing. A night dress that she was practically naked under wasn't at all helpful in this situation. "You need to fix this. You fix this and you can have whatever you stole." Which she instantly regretted saying but he didn't need to know if she was lying or not. Another few shuffles away and she eyed his daggers, maybe she could steal those. How did a dead cat die again?

Lion

The cat just meowed and purred and dropped a few tufts of hair everywhere, curling between Adalia's legs.  Quinlan was equally creeped out and wanted nothing at all to do with the cat.  But something felt hot beneath his skin - other than the throbbing of his arm where Chicken Hands scorched his GOOD JACKET! - and he stepped back, pulling the crest from beneath his shirt.

"What..."  The crest started to glow and flicker and the cat suddenly started to dart toward Quinlan.  He yelped, stepping lively, but the cat just meowed and purred.

"I didn't do it, I swear!  This thing must've done it!  That cat was dead!  STUFFED!  I threw it at your face and now it's back to life!  What's the cat's name?  Quick!"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Draconian

Adalia's eyes caught the flicker and she stared for a good moment. That. That's what he stole. Previously she'd held no interest in it, but she'd never seen it glow and flicker like that. Now she couldn't let him leave with it.

"The... Her name is Daisy." Poor balding stuffed Daisy. Adalia had wanted to bury her, but her parents had decided the first pet in a long time deserved a special place in the fancy room.

Lion

"Daisy!  Daisy, stay!  No!  Don't come any closer!  Bad cat!"  The cat continued to mew and come closer to him.  He stopped when the animal began to rub against his legs as well.  And it was too much for him to handle.  "Hell no, I'm out of here!  See ya!  Have fun with your dead cat!"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Draconian

Adalia honestly though that he was going to do some unknown magic with the amulet that involved the cats name. There was a certain pang she felt in her chest and it took her a moment to process it. Ah, embarrassment. That's what it was. Adalia pressed the back of her hand to her forehead for a moment before moving closer again, the cat was acting like a cat. Not possessed and demonic. Not taken over by some other worldly beast that sprouted fifty million teeth to eat them alive with.

"You can't just leave with that!" Adalia yelled at him, moving to stand in front of him with her arms out. "You want out, you kill me. Because apparently that amulet is going to bring me back to life anyway and then I won't care how much my magic hurts me to use it on you." She nodded towards the room where he pilfered the amulet. "Put that back. Now. You're obviously too weak to handle it and we don't know what else it will do."

Lion

Too weak to handle it!?  Excuse her, Nightdress Crusader! An elementalist did not, in his mind, make her an expert on necromantic symptoms in formerly living pets!  Maybe she knew the pet and it seemed relatively normal!  But who knew how long that would last.  One thing was for sure, it wasn't his problem. 

However, she was.  And she was keen on making the situation his problem.

"I'm taking the crest," he said adamantly, uncaring about the cat that now tugged on his right pantleg.  "And if you're keen on being in the way, you can come with me!"  And he lunged at her again, aiming to tackle her and throw her over his shoulder as he ran down the hall.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Draconian

"I said you can't tak--What are you doing!?" Adalia went down easy. Or over his shoulder easily. Her hands were useless now that they were just pulsing and in pain and she hadn't had a chance to even try to heal them. She moved to grab at the back of his coat and instead just hissed in pain at the contact.  She'd decided that tonight would be the last time she read books into the quiet hours of the night.

There was little she could do to protest. He was taking off with her crest. Well, her parents crest, but as the only child that mean it was going to be hers someday. Maybe this was a good idea, if she knew where he was going. She could reason with whomever it was that wanted to buy it and then buy it back from them!  Unless they were going to raise an army of extremely affectionate undead cats.  Then she supposed that would need to be stopped as well.

The cat gave an excited purr, ready to chase something. The bell on the collar it had been wearing gave a happy jingle as Daisy scooted down the hallway ever so dainty-like not wanting to lose her play things.

Lion

[Adalia just takes all the crap that happens to her and just 'deals with it' xD It's almost sickeningly responsible.]

To have the cat chasing after him was more than enough to have Quinlan speeding up twofold.  He held Adalia over his shoulder and headed for where he had seen the main door.  "Damn cat!  Why don't you find dead mice to play with?" he hissed as he moved to the door, just as little bells in their wake and loud meows.

Fuck the cat just didn't quit!

Quinlan kicked open the door and made down the street with Adalia over his shoulder.  The rain poured down on them and he heard the sizzling of water damping out fire and the smell of burn flesh.  It was both from him and her and he stopped running long enough to turn his head enough to see Adalia partly from over his shoulder. 

"Your magic burns you?" he asked, and then the bells of the cat catching up with them, as they turned the corner, made him jump.  "Dammit!"

"Meow!

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn