Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Fireflies

Started by TreeFolk, May 10, 2015, 10:31:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TreeFolk

@Deli

Tansy parted the vines covering her path, sneaking through the dark as she followed the trail of one of the forest spirits who had hinted that he had information about her changeling other half. It had been a days journey thus far, of quiet pursuit, but she didn't mind it. In fact, she was enjoying herself rather immensely. Even if she did not succeed in gaining any more information about how to find the changeling who had replaced her, she would not mind. The moments of peace she was gaining from this little side-adventure would make it worth it. She knew it had to, or she might find herself being swallowed by the truth of it all.

In truth, she was dying. Dying in slow increments, with the ever-present possibility of dying in quick increments should she ever run into any of the fae who knew of her and knew of her crime. But she was dying nonetheless. Humans were not meant to live or eat in the Otherworld, which was why trading human babies for changelings worked so well for faeries. Faeries weren't terribly strong folk, and so they used humans as servants. They acquired those servants by trading humans their babies, and kept those servants because they could no longer properly leave the Otherworld once they had eaten the food there. None had escaped before, or none that Tansy had heard of.

After letting the vine bracelet wrapped around her left wrist grow, she watched it form into a wand. The handle grew perfectly into the palm of her wrist, and she flicked her wrist to move the branches aside so she could squeeze past them to pursue the fairy. What she stepped out into was a small opening in the trees, and beyond that she could see a form of arch made of the branches of live bushes. Her curiosity piqued, she ducked through it and emerged in a larger opening in the trees, in the middle of which stood a cabin.

And outside of which stood an odd man. At first she could not pinpoint exactly what made him odd, for she had spent so many years in the Otherworld that deformities of the body were not deformities, but rather normal. The level of normalcy her own body had achieved, before the toe webbing,  had made her stick out among the types of faeries she encountered. But then she noticed that the ridges on his forehead, the beast-like arm, and the different colored hair. She supposed it was not normal for a human to boast these features, but was nonplussed.

Tucking her wand hand behind her back, her other hand gripping the elbow of her wand arm, she approached. Clearing her throat, she bashfully spoke up. "Hello, sir..."

Delentus

Gerving had spent that morning gather what animals he caught in his networks of traps, and was casually skinning a rabbit when he heard a small voice behind him. He froze in fear as he slowly turned to face the source.

What he saw appeared to be a young woman, but he didn't take long enough to really note any features or to even make sure it was a young woman. All he knew was when someone wondered upon him, there was bound to be more. So instead of addressing her, he summoned forth a wall of darkness. "Leave, now!"

TreeFolk

The surprise of the wall of darkness caused her to fall back onto her rear, releasing a small "Oof!" Even though the surprise of the darkness had surprised her, she was not in the least bit afraid. It was clear she had surprised him, in turn, and so she felt he had been easily justified in blocking her out right off the bat. Tansy was certain the woods were teeming with unsavory sorts of creatures and people, so a man living in a cabin was certain to be defensive when encountering any sort of living thing.

Retracting the wand so that it was once again merely a bracelet, she pushed herself up and brushed off the back of her clothes. Tentatively, she reached her hand out to test the darkness, and while it was not solid, she did not think it polite to try and walk through it. Clearing her throat, she spoke up, willing her normally quiet voice to be loud enough for him to hear. "Sir... I was just following a small pixie through these woods, when I came upon your cabin. And I've just lost track of him." Her voice sounded deflated, disappointed. "I simply thought... That perhaps... Is there any chance that you know where I might find it again? That is, since you surely know these trees better than I."

Delentus

"If there were pixies to be had around here they sure stay away from me. Now go before your companions arrive as well." he barked out before he really considered what he was saying, much to his own embarrassment. If she searching for a pixie he highly doubted she would have anyone else with her, even if she did maybe she'd leave before they arrived anyway. So with heavy consideration, even though it only took a few seconds, he dropped his wall of darkness and turned to face her.

"How long have you been searching this forest girl?" he asked, studying her face to get a reading if anything was more than what she told him.

TreeFolk

Tucking a tendril of strawberry blonde hair delicately back behind her ear, Tansy looked up at him. A small, whisper of a smile reached her lips when he had dropped the wall, and now that he was replying she flashed him the whites of her teeth in a kind-hearted smile. At least he was willing to speak to her. Upon hearing his question, she realized it had been quite a few days since she had last spoken to another person.

"Too long, likely, to be truthful. I should say at least a week, but I'm not the best at measuring the days or nights." There had been the initial search for a particular old wise woman, who directed her to find a particular pixie. And that was the particular pixie she had been currently pursuing.

Tentatively, she addressed his previous assumption. "I travel alone, though I'm certain it's unwise of me to tell you, a stranger." She'd already had her first run-in with a mugger, who she had let know she was travelling alone, and who had taken advantage and stolen the few coins she'd had.

Delentus

He stood there quietly for a few moments, taking what she said in. It surprised him that she hadn't made a comment about his appearence, but then again she seemed a little more than human herself. Not that he was one to say anything or judge, so instead he motioned for her to enter the cabin.

"If you want, you can stay here for a while and rest. I was about to make some roasted rabbit."

TreeFolk

His appearance did not phase her, not in the least. While she had not seen a being with his particular construction before, it was not beyond the realm of reason or normality. In the faerie world, the Otherworld, unusual body shapes and looks were common. In fact, since coming to the side of humans and mortals, she had missed the variation of body shapes and sizes.

Tentatively she stepped over the threshold of the cabin, clearly too naive to conceive of the dangers of entering into the homes of strangers. "That sounds lovely... I have not had much to eat..." Her voice trailed off, thinking of food, her stomach growling.

Shaking her head to clear up her mind, she reminded herself of her manners. She looked eager, "I would like to do something for you in return, kind sir." She looked around the cabin. "I am quite good with housework or gardening. Perhaps you have some clothing needs mending? Or some vegetables that need tending?" The corner of her mouth quirked quickly, a twitch of a nervous smiles. Whenever she internally chastised herself, that twitch would flit across her features. At the moment, she was berating herself for beginning to rhyme her sentences... Such a silly, Otherworld creature thing to do! But she was no longer their servant, and she was among humans now.

Delentus

He didn't even bother to respond to her offer, he just turned and walked back outside to finish cleaning the rabbits. It took him just a few minutes before he entered back, two rabbits on a spit ready to go over the fire.

"Now, where are you from?" he asked as he sat down. "I know you are not from the surrounding area, the people from here would never enter this forest alone. Out of fear of the 'Woodland Demon', as they like to call me."

TreeFolk

She waited politely, patiently, as he left, holding her hands in front of her as she stood inside his house. When he returned, her eyes grew brighter at the prospect of cooked rabbit. It was one of her favorites!

Tansy tilted her head curiously. "You're a demon, then?" The lightness of her tone indicated she was curious, rather than concerned. "I..." A hand wove into her hair as she scratched her head, bashful. "Well, I'm not entirely certain how to answer that question." She certainly wasn't from the Otherworld, but she also wasn't from this world anymore, either. Even if she could claim this world, she didn't know where her own folk had hailed from, so many years before. "I suppose I can't rightly claim to be from anywhere, sir."

Delentus

"No, I said that's what the fools called me. I'm just as human as they are, but with a little added on..." he remarked, growing quiet as his sentence trailed off. It took him a moment to regain his composure, but once he did he went back to turning the rabbits.

"What do you mean though by that you can't claim you are from anywhere girl? Surely you had been born somewhere."

TreeFolk

Tansy sat down on the arm of a chair, perching rather than really settling down. She listened to him intently, curious as to what he meant. But prying was rude, and she was technically now a guest in his house, so she refrained from asking further. He would tell her if he wanted to, but she wouldn't be the one to force it out of him.

But she did comment at least. "Humans are oddly obsessed with categorizing things, and shunning those that are 'not quite human'." She leaned a hand on her palm, tucking a knee up in what seemed like an uncomfortable position. "And of course I was born somewhere, to someone, at some point. I just don't know when, where, or to whom. The place I went after that I know, but I wasn't really ever from there because I was never really a part of there." She didn't intend to be cryptic, but it was a rather cryptic topic. Fae related things tended to be that way. She perked up, a bit. "But that's why I'm spending my time tracking, so I can find out and keep being a part of here." 

Delentus

His patience, and trust, in this girl was starting to wear thin. He let our a long sigh, and turned to face her.

"Look girl, start making sense. I'm not one to play games with." he said, giving her a stare that could freeze fire.