Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Harvest Moon (M)

Started by Lion, June 07, 2015, 02:07:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lion

The trembling man did what little he could to calm himself.  "I-I-I-I-I-I-I don't th-think so," he stammered, holding the fur coat around him.  "I've just...I've never...seen anything like that before."

He sat down back before his tent and huddled in the fur, nuzzling it against his cheek.

"Where do you think it went?" Theon pressed gently, motioning for Taich to come take a look at the body. 

"I...I can't say.  I just heard howling...ghastly howling...  Blood trails...along that way...but I was too afraid to follow it," he shuddered and Theon went about looking through his things.

Like to kill mages?  Join the Order!
The Order of St. Agratha

Help Rebuild Connlaoth from the ashes of war!
The Red Legion

Jump in the water's fine!
Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"Life is a series of dogs." -George Carlin
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

Draconian

"You were smart," Taich supplied to the man kindly, looking where he directed before going to examine the body.

What a day.

What a way to start a new 'adventure' goddamnit, Tristan.

This was all his fault. First he wanted to go look for some stupid hidden Tundra-Whatever but then there was a scream and noooo, that was more important to check out. Now here they were. Chasing after man eating beasts around some poor schmuck's tent who apparently lost... Everything.

The body was, indeed, eaten in places.

The soft places.

Taich decided this body was too mutilated to waste an arrow on.

Tristan stayed dormant, looking like a regular ( very fancy ) obsidian bow while Taich followed after Theon, looking over his shoulder for a moment before she fluffed her bangs and gave a shake of her head. Just what was going on.

How was it so hard to follow something in the snow? Something probably not white in the tundra. Taking a careful breath she stood as close to Theon as she could before she gave a quiet suggestion, "Do you think it's a werewolf of some kind?"

Lion

Leaving the shaking man to tend to himself wasn't the first idea Theon would have done, but they needed a closer look around.  Better to look and have dismissed it knowing you covered as much as you could, than to overlook something simply because it was not in your schedule to do so.  Out here, Theon had all the time he needed.

He glanced up at Taich, eyes surveying the items in the tent.  Rather ordinary for a traveler up in these parts, and nothing that looked like it would somehow summon the creature.  It was a horrifying that these people had to cross paths with that creature.  And strange that one was spared and the other was not.

"Werewolf?" he murmured, crouching down and inspecting the snow around it, and the way it was disturbed.  "I don't think so.  It was much too quick...  As if it were apart of the wind.  Werewolves would leave tracks, wouldn't they?  I haven't encountered too many in my travels.  Have you?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

Draconian

Taich gave a haphazard shrug, looking down at her dormant bow briefly.

A werewolf wouldn't be out of the question when her bow could speak.

"I have not," She answered truthfully, "If I have met one they've never gone wolfy." Pursing her lips she looked around again, frowning at all the snow. How could something not leave tracks in the snow? Taich cast a glance around, seeing only their footprints.

"I don't know, Theon. I'm just as lost as to what this could be as you are." Which was truthful and it sucked. Taich didn't like not knowing what she was in for. And curse Tristan for getting her into it! Curse that stupid deal she made.

Nose and cheeks flushed from the cold, Taich closed her eyes for a moment before giving a helpless shrug. "Were doing anything odd last night?" She asked the man, shifting her stance, carefully holding the bow, "Perhaps you left something out and ... The worst happened."

Lion

The man could have been on the verge of tears and the only indication would be the trembling on his shoulders.  He sobbed quietly in his hands, burying all of his face.  "M-maybe.  To..to think that a foolish mistake...cost the life of my friend....  And it's all my fault."

Theon knelt beside him again.  "Lambasting yourself will not change his fate.  Get up, man."

He did, staggering to his feet and holding onto Theon's arm.  "Can...can you take me to the village?  I...I would have gone on my own...but I'm...terrified.  I know the way.  These landscapes are not so empty as they...would have you believe.  I-I just need someone to come with me.  Please.  If...that thing is still out there, we need to warn other people."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Draconian

Taich looked between Theon and the man before she gave a nod.

"I can take up the rear," She said gently, looking around. That way, Tristan could make himself comfortable. Could check out everything without frightening the already poor frightened man. "We need to get to the village anyway, don't we? Maybe..." Taich pushed her hair over her shoulder where the wind had whipped it into her face, "Maybe the people there might know something about it."

Lion

It was a lead worth following.  It was the only current lead anyhow.  And having someone who might confirm what Theon had seen was enough for now.

Theon nodded to Taich and started a head of them.  He took the lead, the man following second, and Taich third, the camp cleaned, the body burned and leaving a cloud of black smoke billowing up to the sky.

It was a long trek before they saw sight of any signs of life, from creatures or man.  Until they saw the smoke of the village just up ahead.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Draconian

Taich was almost cold.

Or she would have been cold if not for Tristan.

Before long her hood was up and Tristan was slung over her shoulder, watching the back.  If Tristan was one thing, he was good for keeping her perky. If only by magical means. Being fueled by his magic kept her away and unhungry.

"Smoke," she said softly, drawing the attention of the bow and she stared for a few moments, head tilted. Her hood fell back and her tumble of long auburn hair fell down to her waist, her steps picked up to bring her closer to Theon. And his bird.

Wherever the bird went.

Taich wanted to think it was an odd pet, but her bow talked.

"Do we just... Waltz into the village?" She asked curious, "I've never found an actual village in this snowy wasteland before."

Lion

"We should be able to," Theon said.  "It'd be nicer than camping out here in the cold."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Draconian

Taich made a face.

A scrunched up face that made the skin between her eyebrows wrinkle.

"I guess," Sure she felt the cold to some degree but... Theon would feel the cold. And hungry. And sleepy.

A nod and she lifted an arm as a strong gust of wind blew her hair into her face.

"Lead the way, Tristan's got our back." Well, her back, but if her new friend was in front of her she wouldn't have to worry about that. "I'm sure they'll be more than happy to take in a few weary travelers," She smirked, not looking forward to a sleepless night and not moving. While she always felt exhausted she was always too antsy to sleep.

Lion

They began the long journey back to civilization, wandering through the icy trails until they found a semblance of a path.  It didn't take long before there was a dot in the distance slowly growing larger. Theon could brace the wind for as long as necessary.

Jouzan took flight up ahead and Theon could see through his vision. The village was much larger than expected, but it looked to be a trade hub with several caravan wagons surrounding the side of it. Smoke billowed up from hearths.

If anything Theon was looking forward to a hot meal.  As he was sure his companions were as well.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Draconian

It took a lot of effort not to jab Theon while they walked.

No chatter.

Just... Quiet.

So quiet.

At least Tristan managed to keep her entertained.

Which he did. No doubt Theon would be able to hear the two chatting as they went along, usually it was along the lines of 'oh, you should have seen that snowflake, that was a really nice snowflake.' Taich grew tired of the 'conversation' quickly and she kept a few feet behind Theon until finally, the far off glow of people had her breath catch and she closed her eyes for a moment and sighed.

"Well, look what we found," She shuffled faster to catch up to Theon, " A place to feed you and your bird. Tired yet?"

Lion

Theon gave a gentle sigh, steam flowing out of his mouth in a white puff.  He looked to the man that helped lead the way, and he just shuddered, eyes widened with the dregs of terror and waddled onward toward the village.

"I am not," he said with certainty.  "But I can tell you're out of breath.  Please, go on ahead.  I'll watch the rear."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Draconian

Taich rose an eyebrow and gave Theon an unimpressed look.

Excuse me? She wanted to blurt out, but... Didn't.

A gust of wind pressed cold snowflakes to her cheeks and whipped her ponytail about, so crisp it made Tristan squint against it.

"No. I'll watch the rear, do you remember who has the bow on her back that can see forever? I do, that's right, good job." Taich smiled, pat Theon on the shoulder and pushed him along in front of her, "You seem like more of a smooth talker, so you get to go first."

Lion

"Good thinking," Theon was quick to agree.  "You do not seem to have a way with speaking with people. I will be our acting mediator.  You are good in the back."  He didn't mean for his words to sound like an insult, even if they may have come off that way.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Draconian

Taich barked out a laugh.

Well that was to the point.

"Rude," She huffed, smirking at him, giving her head a confused little tilt. Though true. Living with a bow for whoever long it'd been did ruin any previous people skills she had.  She gave Theon a push between the shoulder blades to make him go faster, impatient that she was. "Start with your awesome people skills," She insisted, nodding her head.

Lion

The shove gave Theon pause, but he only turned to glance back her momentarily. In fact there may have been a smirk that followed it.

The village was not quite as empty as he feared. And in fact two people came forth to approach them. One of them held a spear and the other a sawn off-musket, no doubt taken from a Mordecai, although Theon did not ask how that came to be. "Stop, travelers!  State your purpose before pressing onward."

"My name is Theon Arand," he said and held his hand out in a gesture of peace. "We have come a long way.  And seek only shelter."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Draconian

Was that a facial expression?

Taich squinted slightly before giving a mock disappointed frown.

Nah, not a facial expression. This guy seemed to be just as blank and faceless as the snow. Her bow made more faces than this guy and Tristan didn't even have a real face. Ha. Taich grinned to herself, or she would have if her cheeks weren't so cold.

Taich followed Theon's example, hung her bow, the eye facing her back and put her hands up besides his. "He's correct, only shelter," a little nod forward, "We have our own provisions but unfortunately we are ill equipped for the wind and snow." Which was stupid, all things considering but she'll pretend that she did need to rest. It would much less weird that way than 'yeah, my bow keeps me alive with weird meat-eating-weapon magic.'

Lion

[Meat...eating...weapon...magic]

Theon nodded in agreement. "We came a long way from back south. And encountered this man here," Theon said and gestured to their companion who remained wrapped in furs and fighting off the shivers. "Please. We mean no harm, and we will not be a burden here. In fact, any information you can provide us would be of great help."

The two men glanced at each other before the one with the musket stepped forward and gestured for the trio to follow him. Theon first looked to Taich, then to the strange bow on her shoulder.  Their mysterious companion kept onward however, following the other men, simply grateful to be out of the cold.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Draconian

[Yeah 8D Tristan eats meat.]

Taich returned the look before she shrugged.

It was easy to be brave when there was a demonic bow keeping you alive. A secret little smirk to herself before she ducked her head down, letting her hair fall over her shoulders. Who knows how long ago she'd have died of starvation or bloodloss without Tristan to keep her alive out of sheer spite. "We just rest here, right?" Taich said softly, stepping up beside Theon, voice quiet, "Wanna cuddle to keep warm once we're in the clear?" She teased, smirking at him.

Tags: