Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

The story that the Stars Sing ( ~Ethereal-Star) (M)

Started by SilmeriaElemred, September 25, 2015, 03:23:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SilmeriaElemred

@Ethereal-Star

It was night in the kingdom of Ellendrar. A cloudless summer night which was chilled enough to cause the night dew the freeze lightly on the grass and leaves.

The cities and villages were silent and in every house, light was emitted. Either by lamps or candles. A strange feeling lingered over Ellendrar. The few who were outside, seemed to be in a rush as if afraid. And they were.It was not safe outside after the clocks hit their 10th night hour.

The current king was a vile and cruel man. Using black magic to control the people of Ellendrar and in the night, all outposts belonged to his men. Those outside were never certain if they'd see dawn. For the king sometimes ordered whole wipes to remove homeless from the street. Nobody knew what happened to them although rumours had it that they were sacrifised or used in wicked rituals.

But lately another rumour had traveled from outpost to outpost; the king was sick. And was dying. His three still living children, Erian, Anise and Gradius all had an equal call to the throne. The rest of his offspring, were killed by the others. But these three somehow got along. In some way though. All posessed dark magics, and ruled over one of the three provinces the country had to offer.

There was Gradius. The oldest. Master of wicked ice magic, Earth and Lightning. Then, Anise. The youngest child and only woman. Somehow she was capable of binding almost every man to her will. She took handsome men. Had fun with them until she grew bored and they ended up as members of her fathers magic army. Last but not least, Erian. He had not always been the middlechild and because of him Anise was the youngest too after eradicating some of his lesser favourite siblings. Erian was a manipulator. Illusion magic user and could control a significant amount of dead corpses to do his bidding. He was also the general of his father's armies.

But tonight, there were no purges or raids. They had decreased significantly as the king grew weaker and this night, he had summoned his three children. Knowing he was dying.

''My three... children.'' he spoke. Coughing severly and spitting blood as he did so. ''My age, caught up with me and it is time for my body to crumble. Alas I will not be there with the coronation. We rule with an iron hand. And the coronation process will soon begin. Just like my father before me, magic will activate when I die. There will be tasks you three need to perform. You may not want to kill one another though, Erian.'' he said with a devilish grin.

Erian's siblings looked at him but not suprised. ''For some tasks you will need one of the other siblings. Or both. Allowing you three to kill eachother off would be to easy.''

Anise cursed beneath her breath. But let her father speak further.

A magic artifact will activate upon my death and spread into multiple beams that will hit various places in our lands. Go to those places. Find the tasks. Complete them. The one with the most objects, wins the game and becomes the new king or queen.'' he coughed again.

''During your tasks you will discover too what has made me so powerful.'' he laughed, coughed again. ''Good luck, all three of you.'' he grinned before he made a more and more choking sound and died after a few painful minutes.

At first, nothing happened but then, the old king's body turned grey and black before turning into what seemed to be coal and a strange magic came out. Burning red and white like a strange jewel before it shot into the sky

Ethereal-Star

In the blackness that was cosmic space, the stars wept as one of their own was killed by the blackest means imaginable. It wasn't the first time such had happened, but once was more than enough. Regardless, a heavy toll of sadness had beset upon these twinkling lights of fire and flame for they worried such might happen again. One such star felt a pull like no other as she was forced out of the sky, the dark reaches of endless black matter around her as she fell and began to transform not of her own will. Such had never happened before and Evadne feared what it meant.

Fire and light shifted and wavered, then dimmed considerably as it took on a much, much smaller and more humanoid shape. Soon landing with a crash on the ground of a planet she had visited before, a semi-large crater having formed in her wake. The Star felt extremely disoriented and confused, as she hadn't been the one to initiate such a descent. She felt weak and frail, and needed time to adjust to this state of being.

Looking around, she wasn't sure where she was exactly, but there were some trees and such around, now crisp and burnt from her fall. If she had been in control here, that wouldn't have happened. Neither would this major hole in the ground be here either. Now there was nothing for it, except to get up and try to gather her bearings and thoughts. At least she hadn't landed in the middle of civilization, both for their sake as well as her own. Evadne hoped she could find a place to finish her adjustment, as this was crucial to any star who descended to take Flameling form.

Finding her balance, she stood up and began to walk, her clothing was of a light yellow shimmering coloration with specks of gold, white and silver on it.

SilmeriaElemred

It was true that there was not exactly civilasation in the woods. But that did not mean a small cabin wasn't there. A few actually, spreaded throughout the woods. Light was burning and smoke came from the chimney.

The cabin belonged to Keir, who was a baker in one of Ellendrar's smaller villages, and currently was in the woods to stock up his supply of forest fruits, herbs and wood. It was not safe to be out at night and to prevent he had to walk back and forth, he had made himself a cabin.

Keir was just having dinner however when a bright light seared through the sky and a loud sound was heard. Paired with fierce winds that the impact gave. Despite knowing how unsafe it was to be outside at night time, Keir opened the door and looked around. He could smell the smoke but saw no fire.

His gaze went to the distance where the capital was. The sky was clear. No dark forces.

The impact had not been that far away. Fifteen minutes of walking, ten perhaps if he paced quicker.

Keir grabbed his coat, rapier and backpack which had a now empty lantern.

''Sophr, let's go.'' he said.

First there was nothing but a jingling sound like soft sweet bells came from one of the higher bookshelves. ''But it's dark! We should not be out in the dark.''

A fairy appeared and settled herself in the lantern. ''Something came down from the sky. I need to know what it is and the sky is still clear. We will not be long.'' he promised.

''Just do not get us taken.'' Sophr pleaded and Keir headed out.

---

He knew these woods and could easily travel through them even in the darkness of the night. Sophr providing the light he needed to not step in newly formed burrows. It was quiet. He and many generations before him did not know any better. Soon though he spotted something in the distance. A figure wearing clothing that was not from this world at all.

---
But Keir had not been the only one to see the star falling down. Anise, Gradius and Erian had seen it as well.

''So. A race for the throne huh. And not allowed to kill one another because we need one another.'' Gradius said.

''Yet one person only can take the throne.'' Anise said and crossed her arms.

''Be it me or Gradius though we can take you as a wife. Has that not been done for ages?'' Erian asked.

''I'd rather fuck a pig then you.'' Anise said although her smile somewhat indicated otherwise.

''Now whatever came from the sky could be important. I will send out my troops to find out what had just fallen from the sky. Let's each scout through our own provinces and search for the items and report back in four days.'' Erian suggested.

''Sounds like a plan.'' Gradius said with a grin. ''May the best win.''

Ethereal-Star

Having just reached the edge of the crater, Evadne moved carefully along for another five minutes or so, hoping to find some shelter so she was not out in the open like this. Feeling weak and weary, she then spotted the figure of a human man in the near distance. No, it was a half-elven man, she corrected herself. He appeared to have brown hair but she would have to get closer to see any further details.

Her clothing glinted in the moonlight with speckles of white and gold, and the star looked up at her kin who were skyward-bound. After all this time, it once again felt strange to be looking up and not down. The stars above seemed to flicker at her as though encouraging her onward and so she continued forward at her snail's pace.

Finally, she got close enough to the half-elf before Evadne lost what strength she had and collapsed, falling into her trance state automatically. For all intents and purposes, she looked unconscious, and in a way she was. Her descent had been too sudden and she sorely needed rest.

SilmeriaElemred

''Oi!'' Keir called out and quickly rushed towards her. Sophr leaving the lantern and quickly flew over her.

''She is ok but we need to go inside and fast.'' Sophr said.

Keir noticed the crater. Had this woman fell down and caused it or had something fallen on her? No. Now was not the time to find out.

He took off his coat and put it on Evadne before picking her up.

''Keir the sky!'' Sophr said.

''Back in the lantern. I'm going to run. Shine as bright as you can Sophr.'' Keir said. The fairy nodded and shut the small lantern door behind her.

As fast as his legs could carry him, Keir started to run. The wind became cold and sharp like ice. The sky turned black as whatever black magic that ruled these lands for so long filled up the sky. Allowing no light from the stars and moon to reach the world.

All around them though was an eerie sound. A terrible screech.

''K-Keir... faster!'' Sophr called.

''I can't go faster... but we're almost there.'' Keir said. He too could hear the sound and it made the hair in his neck basicly stand up.

''Sophr, the door. Open it. Quick!''

The fairy left her safe enclosure again and flew ahead, through the lock to open the door. When opening it only seeing Keir being followed by a cloud of darkness.

''Hurry Keir!'' Sophr called out as it seemed to close in on him. But then, they seemed to be scared off as the light that the still burning fire provided light they could not turn off. Also. No matter how strong the creatures were, only the very special forces were able to actually enter houses and when he was inside, Sophr closed the door.

''Darn it Keir you almost got us all taken!'' Sophr scolded him and flew against his cheek to give him a slap.

''Still... '' Keir said and looked at the woman in his arms. ''She is safe...'' he sighed deeply and gently placed her on the only bed the cabin had before going to the window. The house was surrounded by whatever forces the king had sent out. Like a vast wall of darkness. Twisting around the house as close as they could possibly get.

''We should wait for dawn...'' Sophr said as she sat on the bookshelf.

''More like afternoon...'' Keir said and sighed.

Ethereal-Star

Dawn came and still Evadne did not awaken. The fall had taken much out of her as she had not been in control this time. She would require lots of rest and recuperation in her Star-Prayer meditative sleep. Probably even double the time that it normally took for her to fully adjust.

In her starry haze, the glow of countless stars and cosmic light filled her vision as well as an ethereal song that helped to soothe her senses and very spirit. Evadne during this time felt peace, but it would not last for long.

SilmeriaElemred

Keir had in the meantime finished his meal and kept the fire going. The eerie winds and the fact the only bed was taken kept him awake not to mention he was worried about the woman in his bed.

''Are you sure she is alright?'' he asked Sophr.

''She took a hard blow since she is not here willingly but she should be ok.'' The fairy had settled beside the pillow.

''What is she actually.'' Keir asked.

''This, my half human friend, is a Star...they have not descended here for a very long time. Not since the reign of mad Kings. This place is dangerous for her. We should try to get her home.'' Sophr replied.

The black army started to slowly retreat when the sun came out but that did not nessesarily mean they were safe. The soldiers which could stand daylight could be sent as well.

Ethereal-Star

Her sleep was deep, and not once did Evadne stir. It would be around noontime when she would awaken. But would still be weakened considerably. The Star was not aware of the dark forces which had surrounded the house, so deeply unconscious in her trance she was. It was safe to say the going for her would be very slow for awhile.

SilmeriaElemred

''Keir...'' Sophr spoke eventually as the man stared out of the window.

The man nodded knowing what the fairy meant. The black army was gone. If they were to leave they had to leave now. ''Gather what we need. I will prepare Biscuit.'' Keir said as he went to the small stable the house had that had a horse and a cart with various herbs, and wooden boxes of berries, and chopped wood.

The fairy in the meantime put a large jutte cloth on the table and put in various things; bread, a little jar of honey, marmelade, apples, pears and seeds. They would arrive around late afternoon.

Sophr also grabbed what posessions could be linked to Keir. The man was not the only one to use this house. When he did not use it, sometimes hunters would.

--

When Keir was done he returned to the house. The sun was at the sky and no clouds. Yet. ''Let's go Sophr.'' Keir said as the fairy bounded the corners of the cloth together carefully. Remarkably enough the little creature was strong enough to lift it while Keir went to Evadne to pick her up from the bed. ''Sorry Milady... we will need to go. It will not be the most pleasants of rides I mind you.''

Ethereal-Star

It was around one in the afternoon when Evadne woke. Feeling a little refreshed from her trance meditation, but still was quite weak and not able to walk at full strength yet. Luckily she didn't have to, as she was lying down in a horse-drawn cart that was slowly plodding along with the half-elf she met from before. Sitting up, the Flameling noticed a tiny winged creature as well, and she instantly recognized it as a light fairy.

Smiling a little, Evadne sat up more fully and greeted them. "My thanks for the assistance. Never before have I been through such an ordeal. Normally I choose when to come. I fear for what may have caused such, for everyone here."

The star's light was greatly dimmed and the lack of luminescence surrounding her made her almost look human. But not quite.

SilmeriaElemred

''Maybe we can find out what happened with you. My friend Sophr here... said you were a star. I think I've heard about it in folklore from a very long time ago. But I can tell you this. These lands, are ruled by darkness. At night if we go out we risk getting captured by the Black Army and never been seen again. The normal knights can not enter homes but if they had not caught anyone in a while... the more elite knights are sent to snatch someone. This is no world for a star to live in. Or anyone.'' Keir replied.

''We're about to head to my hometown. It should be safe there for a little while. I was, outside last night after all.''

Sophr then gave him a small pinch. ''What was that for...'' Keir asked. ''A man should introduce himself to a lady. You were exactly like this when you found me you impolite creature.'' she pouted.

Keir chuckled. ''My bad, my bad.'' Keir replied. ''My name is Keir Derio. Just a simple baker. Pleasure to meet you. What is your name.''

Ethereal-Star

Evadne introduced herself as well. "I am called Evadne, and yes I am a Star. A Flameling now, as that is what all the descended stars are called when we take on humanoid form."

She paused for a moment, absorbing the meaning of the words Keir said. "It must be a sad and despairing world to be ruled by the throes of darkness and evil." Evadne said slowly. "If I had the choice, I would not have come here then. I try to avoid such where and when I can."

Pausing again, she looked around the area they were traveling through to see what all there was. They were currently on a dirt road traveling through some sparse wooded areas, with the occasional country home located here and there, their chimneys releasing smoke from the fires that burned in the hearths. It seemed peaceful enough, but Evadne knew better. The hint of something dark and foul resided on the very edges of perception, as though waiting for the cover of night to fall before they would strike again. It lingered on the edges of her awareness and she once again, felt unnerved by the taint of it whenever she had the misfortune to come across such a thing. But for now, it was as the baker said, they were safe enough for the time being. And so the star allowed herself to relax a little, as she needed to continue her rest for quite some time to gather her strength before she would be of any real use.

"I do not mean to be a hindrance, but when we do arrive at your place, I will require more rest in my Star-Prayer meditation. My usual adjustment has not gone according to plan."

SilmeriaElemred

''It is alright if you need more rest. I will sleep on the couch in the meantime and keep my home as light as possible to scare the black army off. With any luck, we are not regocnised. Do you require food and drink?''

''You really should try his bread. It's the only reason I'm staying with that oaf to be honest.'' Sophr joked.

Ethereal-Star

Smiling at the playful quip from the fairy, Evadne shook her head. "I do not. However, that's not to say I cannot partake of such whenever I'd like to. I'm certain the bread is quite wonderful. And there is no need to relinquish your bed, I can easily enter Star-Prayer no matter whether I am sitting or lying down. It makes no difference to myself."

As the cart plodded along, the horse abruptly stopped as it took a dump then. Then it continued on, leaving the horse manure behind as well as the putrid smell of it. Soon, they reached the outskirts of a small town nestled by a few trees and a riverbank.

SilmeriaElemred

Several people were already up and moving about. The blacksmith made horseshoes, axes and the tools for the butcher.

''Welcome back Keir, you are early. And you have a lady with you too it seems? Not bad! When is the wedding!'' the smith called. Although it was more jestering obviously. Something needed to keep the people's spirits alive and it was usually done with this.

Soph at at the other hand flew up. ''I will do my children's round again.'' she said before flying off. The fairy was no secret to the village and Sophr made it her job to make the children happy.

''Marry?'' Keir repeated. ''She is my cousin Evadne who paid me a suprise visit at the cabin. She will live in with me for a while.''
Cousin huh'' the Smith asked with laughter. ''Is she single?'' his words resulted in a woman, probably his wife taking hold of one of his ears.

''Do not forget who you are married to dear.'' she said calmly. She had not grabbed her husbands ears hard though.

''Welcome to Marblewinter.'' the woman said with a wave before she and her husband resumed to work.

In overal Keir was greeted friendly. The village seemed like one large family.

They stopped at the shop that had a baker sign at the top and Keir hopped off the cart before offering Evadne his hand to help her off.

--

The shop looked cozy and even had a few tables with chairs where people could eat. Although there was no bread on the shelves now, the scent somehow still lingered.

Keir brought Evadne to the small livingroom though which was behind the shop and opened the curtains to light the sunlight through. ''A bed is probably softer though. I do not mind if you would occupy it. I will bring my forest harvestings to the shop in the meantime and prepare for tomorrow's bread. If you need anything though do not hesitate to ask.''

Ethereal-Star

Evadne gave a weak smile to all in the vicinity but she could only nod her head at all the greetings and joyful banter being tossed about. She sorely needed to rest. Gratefully, she took Keir's hand as the baker helped her out of the cart and led her into the large living room behind the shop. She wobbled a bit on her feet as the two made their way there.

Thanking him, she settled down on the couch and promptly closed her eyes, re-entering her starry reverie once more. It had been a tough descent, one not of her own doing and she wasn't sure how long she would be out for. The reasons for such an abrupt fall would have to wait, but the Star couldn't help the pit of unease that steadily grew within her very soul. Something wasn't right here and she feared what it could mean. Not just for her, but for them all.

SilmeriaElemred

While Evadne rested, Keir sorted his harvested herbs, nuts and fruits. Also he prepared dough and made a variety of marmelades and crushed a part of the nuts. Eventually he had taken a blanket and gently placed it over Evadne.

Eventually though a lovely scent spreaded through the house as he had started to bake a few small buns. He too however wondered what would've caused a Star to fall down from the heavents. Sophr when she had returned stayed with Evandne and was sleeping too. Keir wondered if his fairy friend knew what was going on.

If only he had ever known his mother or father. Maybe they would know. He knew his mother was Elven and his father human but that was all he knew.

He covered the rest of the dough with a moist cloth so it could rise for the night and lit the fireplace and candles when the sun started to set. The blacksmith and his wife then knocked on the door and Keir opened. Motioned for them to be silent.

Ethereal-Star

The Flameling was deep within her star trance as her very spirit was weary and lacking strength. She did not awaken at all. For all intents and purposes, it would look like she was sleeping the way a human would as her breath rose and fell from her chest and her eyes were closed. Yet this was no ordinary slumber for it was a transcendental journey of light and cosmic mysteries. It was absolutely essential for Evadne to undergo this peace and tranquility. If Keir had not found her when he did, Evadne would have been lost to the darkness that had plagued them that night. A victim to the evil shadows that sought to gain power that were not theirs. Few stars had actually suffered this atrocious premature death, and the rest knew not what had happened to them for they were no longer within their sight or knowledge anymore. The calm but distressed whispers of the stars spoke of great loss amongst them, that such a demise should never be. It was unnatural. And Evadne had almost been delivered this misfortune, this cruel fate.

An ethereal glow of pure white intermixed with spots of yellow, blue and red filled the Star's inner vision as she looked once more upon her kindred. The brightest among them shone bluish rays of comfort and sublime beauty, their inner cores pulsing with heat and immense energies. Even the faintest of stars held their own kind of majestic flair, Evadne herself being somewhere in the middle. This was a time of rejuvenation and jubilation, where no evil could touch her here. Here, there was only calm, peace and light.

The Star was not aware of the fairy beside her nor was she aware of Keir's activities. If she had come here of her own power and choice, her awareness would have included them, but this was not so. She was too weak, too fragile for that now. The downside to Evadne's healing and restoration is that this period of time would give the forces of darkness an opening in which to claim her, to take her for their own. But there was little to be done about it. For now, Evadne was safe and it would be up to Keir and his fairy companion to keep her so until she fully recovered.

SilmeriaElemred

To spare fuel, it was often people from the village gathered up in homes. Same case was with this.

The blacksmith and wife entered the home and Keir was soon to close the door. ''How is your cousin?'' the woman asked. Placing down a basket. ''Evadne is resting. She... had a very hard journey.'' Keir whispered.

''Keir... your adoptive mother and father had no living brothers or sisters. Most of their family were killed by the empire after they tried to revolt. If she is a friend of the family she would've been taken for sure.'' the blacksmith spoke calmly. ''What is going on.''

Crap. He had forgotten about that. The blacksmith and wife both knew his adoptive family very well.

''Keir?''

The half elf looked at the woman.''I hate to lie but it is best I do not say anything. Lets just stay in the light and keep warm, and eat something. I truth be told need to sort a few things in my head as well.''

''Alright.'' the blacksmith said kindly. ''If you are in trouble though, you can tell us. We are one large family here and we stick together. We have too'' Keir got a rub through his hair from the woman which made him chuckle.

''dinner buns are almost done. Best is to let Evadne sleep for the time being.'' Keir said and directed the two to the livingroom where the fire burned gently. With Evadne on the couch though they just simply sat down on the ground with a cup of hot tea.

Ethereal-Star

Evadne was still out an hour later, the fire in the fireplace still going strong and the candles burning as bright as ever. While still undergoing her cosmic journey, that was when one of the candles began flickering wildly, though there was no wind and all the windows were bolted shut anyway. After a couple minutes of flaring tall and waving about, that same candle suddenly extinguished, fragrant smoke curling into the air after it went out. Two other candles' flames began behaving erratically before they too went out. The others seemed to be unaffected.

Evadne resurfaced from her meditation, her awareness returning back to her human-like body with a start. Looking around, she saw nothing out of the ordinary. The little fairy was in slumber next to her and Keir had some guests over for dinner. But something was amiss. Three of the candles had just recently gone out. Looking towards one of the windows, the star thought she saw movement from some shadowy shape beyond the glass. Something was out there. And it was trying to get in.