Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

The Wrong Side of the River

Started by visualspice, November 06, 2015, 01:41:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

visualspice

Averella blinked, needing to strain to look up at him. "Oh?" He was a rather tall man. "So.. so you can help me get my things back?" she asked, feeling a little awkward about the whole ordeal, and still very anxious. "Thank you I.." she blushed and dropped her gaze. "Here I am, prattling off about my things when you just risked your life for me." She looked up at him again, a bit sheepish.
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Zero

"I'm sure they're important things." Robb shrugged his shoulders and pulled his hands away from her with a gesture back the way they'd just come. "But neither of us will be getting our things back if we don't get moving."

Barefoot and bare-chested, he wasn't exactly looking very knightly. He wasn't even going to think about how she looked. Dripping wet with his drenched shirt clinging to her form - not exactly appropriate or proper attire for any woman. At the very least he could get a dry shirt on her and his coat wrapped about her when they found his horse.

Robb placed a hand gently on her back and gently pushed her towards the road, which ran close to the river for miles and miles. "Come along, miss. It's going to be a long walk."

visualspice

Averella sighed and moved along at his insistence.
"I suppose things can't get any worse," she went on, raking a hand through her mess of wet, black curls. "But a long walk might do me some good." She tried to stay optimistic. "It feels like forever since I've had a chance to stretch my legs." And as she walked, she made some soft noises as she stretched her arms out above her head.

Feeling the sunlight filter through the trees, she paused a moment to smile and let it's warmth dance across her face.
"It also feels like ages since I've felt or seen the sun." And she moved a hand forward, as if trying to let the sun's rays rest on her palms.
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Zero

Gods but he hated that phrase, because no matter how many times you said it, and no matter how bad things seemed, life seemed determined to prove just how much worse it could really be. Robb sighed softly, reaching a hand up to push his hair back out of his face.

"You must have been a captive for a long time, the way you talk." He scowled heavily as he walked, trying to imagine being a prisoner. She couldn't have been kept out of the sun that long, not with that rich bronze glow to her skin, but he supposed if he was kept locked up even a few hours would have seemed an eternity - she'd probably been captive for much longer.

"So you still haven't told me your name or where you're from. It would be nice to have something to call you other than just 'miss' and to know just how far you are from home." It would be nice to know just how far he'd have to send her to see her safely returned to where she belonged.

visualspice

She had a happy bounce to her step, even a real glow about her. But as she noticed the man's scowl, she paused to turn to him curiously, but then closed her lips, thinking better than to ask. He seemed to be in a soured mood about it.

When he changed the subject, she was relieved- but only momentarily.
"My name? Oh!" Heavens, how could she have forgotten to tell him that? "Oh it's Ah.." she paused, hesitating a moment before rushing out, "Averella, but if it's too long ah, you can shorten it if you'd like."

Others had. She wasn't sure if she hated it or not. The name was just a name, after all. It wasn't even her birth name anyway.

"And I'm from.." Again, she hesitated, trying to think of how truthful she ought to be. "Er, well, my home is rather far away. At least that is to say the home where I was born. I've lived in a lot of places you see, in one location or another, many homes actually.." she went on, thinking it over with a tap to her chin. "Although I can't say I've been there in a while.. or there..."
The locations, naturally, were inside her head as she thought it over out loud.

Zero

Robb didn't stop walking, but he glanced back and down at her. He wondered why she had hesitated to give her name and outright skirted around where she was from. Maybe she was a runaway and didn't want to be found. If that was the case he wouldn't have a lot of luck helping her get home safely, but at the very least he could make sure she was clothed properly and as safe as he could manage before leaving her.

"Averella is a pretty name, and not one I've heard before." Well, it was true. "I'm from Moonspear myself. It's a lovely province, if you've never been. We're not all that far from it. Jadenshine is one of our neighboring provinces. I was on my way home when I saw you go into the river." All also true.

Mainly he thought it was going to be a long, boring walk if they didn't talk, and he hoped it would serve as a calming distraction. The last thing Robb needed was for Averella to worry and panic about whatever it was she was missing.

visualspice

She let him explain things to her. She knew the lands well enough (after all, she was an age even she could disbelieve), but smiled none the less. However, talking about how he had come upon her made her gasp.

"Oh! Forgive me! I had.. had not realized but oh... You mustn't fuss over me! I'd feel just awful to keep you from your family!"

Zero

"Well I can't simply leave you without even any proper clothing, Miss Averella. What would my family think of me if I did such a thing? Besides, my sister can wait, she doesn't even know I'm coming. I doubt she would make much of a fuss even if she did." Robb shrugged his shoulders, going home wasn't exactly a grand affair for him. While he loved his siblings, and from some blood obligation they cared for him too, none of them were what you would call particularly close.

visualspice

"Oh, but I-" She floundered some before growing quiet, and casting her gaze downward to where fidgety fingers fussed over the hem of his wet shirt barely clothing her. "You're being so kind to me. I just wish I had the means to repay you."

Her things...
If all of her things had been taken... they were priceless; and worthless to some. However, she did have some currency she had taken care to hide among her things. No doubt that was all gone, too. She couldn't imagine someone simply stealing her coffin but leaving her other trinkets behind. And at the reminder, she wilted a bit more.

A cold breeze caused her to shiver, refocusing her attention on how uncomfortable it was to be clothed in such a way, and wet with such winds picking up. Though it seemed, as she glanced towards the horizon, there might be rain in their future. It even smelled of it- a scent that always tickled her.

Rain meant many things in the desert. Hope, death....
But out here, in this much more open world, full of much more vivacious life....
Rain meant a whole other wonder to Averella.

Zero

"You can repay me by letting me make sure that you're safe and not in danger when we part ways. For my own peace of mind and guilt-free conscience that I did all that I could to help a young woman in trouble." Robb hadn't jumped into the river to be a hero, he didn't want to be a hero, and he didn't consider what he'd done all that heroic. Averella hadn't even existed to him before he heard her pounding away inside that coffin begging to be let out.

Helping her was just the right and noble thing to do.

The breeze affected him in much the same way it did her, causing a chilled shudder to go through him. They were both soaked through and through. He glanced up at the skyline and scowled at the gathering thunderheads far off in the distance. Well, it wasn't unusual for their to be storms and rain in the riverlands during this season. Didn't make it less annoying.

"After we gather up my things we should find a place to weather the rain. We're both wet and cold, an inn with a warm fireplace and hot food sounds pretty damn good to me right now." Maybe a long, hot bath too to soak out any and all chill.

visualspice

"Oh! That sounds heavenly!" she gushed. "I'd do just about anything for a warm bed, clothes and meal right about now." And her stomach emphasized the point by rumbling loudly. "It's.. been a while since I've had anything to eat," she went on, hasty and sheepish as she tucked dark hair from her face.

Zero

Just about anything, huh? Lucky for her Robb wasn't a perverted scoundrel that was expecting or demanding things for his efforts. The whole situation was quite fortuitous for her all things considered. While obviously taken by those criminals, she seemed unharmed and the man to discover and rescue her was one of upstanding morals.

"Well we'll work on getting all three of those taken care of for you, Miss Averella. I'm sure we can even manage a bath. I know I'm looking forward to one. A dip in cold river water is hardly cleansing next to a hot tub with a good bar of soap and some oils." Well, he wasn't much for fragrant bath oils, but he knew a lot of women enjoyed the oils and lotions and all manner of pampering bathing rituals he wasn't going to pretend to understand.

visualspice

She could have moaned.
"Oh, yes, a bath." It was hard to contain her excitement. It felt like eons, and as she moved, she stretched a little, her back and arms cracking softly as she sighed. Another rush of wind, however, reminded her about the ever darkening skies, and she saw a flicker of lightning on the horizon.

"The storm seems to be moving in fast." The winds were even picking up even more.

Zero

Moving in fast...the crack of thunder made Robb aware of another problem. He left his horse next to the river unattended with all his possessions. His horse. A type of animal not exactly heralded for it's bravery when confronted with loud noises and flashing lights. It would be terrible to get back to that place and find the dumb beast had bolted away from the storm.

"Yeah, it is. Look, just keep following the road in this direction. I'm going to run ahead and try to grab my horse before he gets spooked by the weather. I'll come back for you. I promise." Robb didn't really wait for her to agree before taking off at a quick jog, he needed to get his things - his clothing, money, and swords were attached to that damn horse. He didn't want to go home in nothing but his pants. Would be far too difficult to explain to his sister.

visualspice

"Oh! Uh oh..." she blinked, and stood there, watching him run off. "Al... alright." She shifted awkwardly, looking at the road, then back to his form. He said keep moving right? Well, she supposed she should do just that, and nervously continued on her way, eyes going up towards the skies as they grew darker and darker.

Another low, powerful breeze rushed in and forced her to stop and cling to the wet shirt- the weather actually able to lift the little shirt up higher on her thighs than she felt comfortable with and soon her fists were keeping it locked down.

She hadn't made it that far along the path when the skies opened up, and soon she was caught in a heavy downpour and found herself rushing beneath the closest tree- which just happened to be a scraggily pine tree with barely enough limbs to keep the heavy rains off-
and as the rains persisted, the winds grew stronger, blowing in rains from all directions and soon, she felt small pieces of hail bounce off the ground and nick at her feet.

It was only then she realized her poor rescuer was still out there in this and she held her breath and looked out into the rain, but it was pouring so heavily, she could barely see past the tree she huddled beneath. But all she could think about was the poor man and his horse.

Was he okay? Was his horse okay? Were they staying out of this rain and hail? She rested a hand against the bark of the tree, and bit into her lower lip. She contemplated trying to look for him, but what good would it do in rain like this?

Zero

Robb felt bad for leaving her there, he really did, but he couldn't do much good for her if his money ran off, now could he? They'd been carried farther downriver than he'd expected when he first dove into the water, but not as far as he'd actually feared.

It was a relief when he came around a bend in the road and the old buckskin came into view. The horse began tossing his head as soon as he saw him. He could hear the frightful wickers coming from the animal and a sheen of frothy sweat was coating the poor gelding. Obviously the storm was terrifying the poor beast, but he'd stayed where he was left, waiting on his master.

The storm was coming faster than he thought, though, and the first drizzles of rain began coming down even as he hurriedly shoved his feet into his boots. He pulled a shirt from one of his bags and tugged it on, then threw his coat over Dune's head and used it to shield both the horse and himself from a little of the stinging rain. The coat was somewhat water repellent, but wouldn't be a real match for a downpour like this.

It took a little coaxing, but he was able to get Dune back onto the road and walked the horse as quickly as he could back the way he'd come. With the rain falling as heavily as it was, and the hail beginning he felt even worse about having left the poor girl by herself.

Dune began to fight him a little, the horse breathing heavily and jerking his head anytime thunder rolled across the sky. Hopefully she'd taken shelter under something - anything.

That's what Robb was forced to do. He guided his frightened beast under some trees to give a little protection from the hail, at the very least. Until that stopped he would just have to wait and hope for the best while gently petting and talking to Dune to calm him.

visualspice

After a time, the hail stopped and the rain let up to a gentle mist. The ground continued to breath out fog, making it too difficult for her to see much of anything-
but as she scanned her surroundings, she thought she heard a noise- and was that a silhouette? It looked like a man and a horse- hopefully it was that and not some sort of a beast.

She wanted a moment, and when it seemed well enough that it was a horse and man, and hopefully her man, she wasted little time before dashing out from beneath her little pine tree and over towards the copse the pair had been hiding under, and was relieved when she saw it was infact her rescuer and horse.

She smiled brightly and stepped beneath the trees near to him, but far enough away to give his uneasy horse some room.

"Oh, I thought the hail might have separated us for good!" she went on, but smiled and smiled,j ust happy to see things were still turning out for the better. "I see you've got your horse." she was glad. She'd have felt even more terrible had his horse taken off with all his things!

Zero

Under normal circumstances Robb would have simply tried to enjoy the fury of nature - there was something violently beautiful about storms - but this time he was impatient and annoyed with the delay. Worry tugged at him. Sure, he had only barely met Averella, but he felt a little responsible for making sure she was okay after whatever ordeals she'd been through that had ended with her nearly drowning in the river. Maybe if he'd never jumped in the river it would be different, but since he had there was a sense of duty to finish what he started.

When the storm quieted he shook out his coat. It wasn't soaked through, thankfully. He'd been about to put it on and get started back out to look for Averella, when he was startled by the very woman that had been tormenting his mind ever since he'd first heard her desperate cries for help.

"I promised I would come back for you." Robb said simply, looking down at her radiant smile. She really was a gorgeous woman, and though he was no stranger to pretty young ladies giving him smiles and looks, Averella's smile made him feel different. He beckoned her over with a slight, reassuring smile. "Yeah, come meet Dune, he's an old fleabag, but he's gentle and loyal enough."

visualspice

"Dune?" her eyes widened, smile still bright. "Oh, like a sand dune?" She leaned forward, enchanted by the horse as she moved to pet it's long nose. "What a handsome name."

Zero

"Yeah, like a sand dune." Robb nodded, stroking the horse's neck affectionately, despite his disparaging words about the animal, he did like the horse. Dune's primary color was not unlike pale sand, and being a buckskin his stockings, mane, and tail were black. The horse nuzzled into Averella's petting hand, obviously much calmer now that the hail and thunder had faded away. "I think he likes you."

Giving him a final pat, Robb focused on going through his saddlebags. They were waterproofed leather, and so everything inside was still quite dry. He pulled yet another shirt from within, this one thicker and simpler than the one wrapped around her now. It would simply be pulled over the head.

"Here, this will be dry and warmer. I know my coat will be way too big, but you can put that on too." He tried to hand her both the shirt and coat. "I'll, uh, turn around."