Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

The Mending of Time [M] [Goblin]

Started by Juno, December 04, 2015, 05:51:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Juno

It was not disgust that hit Aren, but a deep sorrow and shock first. Then anger followed, wild and undirected though certainly not at the smaller man before him.

His wounds were obviously not self-inflicted and so the innkeeper bubbled with a rage he'd never felt in all his life, not even when he'd cast Ocarern out so many years ago. Aren twitched and flinched as his eyes roamed over his back, question upon question rising up in his throat that he was unable to voice.

A hand reached out to hover over but never touch, making mental notes about his worst wounds and those that seemed already infected. What could have possibly happened to cause such marks? Such pain? Who could have done such a thing to another living creature?

He wondered if it had been punishment, if the thief had been caught and lashed for his crimes. He wondered if he'd been enslaved or if it all was the result of some horrid accident the elf had yet to tell him of.

When he finally opened his mouth to speak Aren was shaking in his despair and disbelief, tears rolling silently down his cheeks. He shut his mouth without a word, though, one hand tightening at his arm while the other retrieved the tunic that had been cast aside to allow him to dress again if he wished.

"You need healing," he croaked, wincing at the lack of firmness he'd wished to carry in his tone. "Urgently. Now." The rest they could discuss later, but one niggling thought would not leave him. "Are you safe, Oca?"

GoblinFae

Ocarern felt the wash of colours all but drown him with the depth of Arensaenger's emotions. He was little more than a hapless ragdoll in the other man's grip even has he was handed back his tunic and permitted to mechanically wriggle his way back into it. He did not dare look at his old friend, fearful that the rage he had felt would come out to bite him. Even the elf's ears drooped completely with his sense of defeat.

"Safe?" he finally repeated quietly and tiredly. "Am I?" Ocarern lifted his gaze slightly to look at the human before dropping it again fearfully. "I...don't know. Am I, Arensaenger? Am I safe?"
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

"No Pride For Some of Us Without Liberation For All of Us"
~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships
Tirial Province (Serendipity)

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Guilds - Under Construction and Revamping
Blood of Ash || Cleara Verdad || The Creoptera || The Reaper's Chalice || The Runner's Society || Vigilant Shadows

Characters
Agapito Perlaceo Calogero-Marcello da Lume || Ainsley Muir || Alanna Mercer "The Lioness" || Amleah Dvorak || Ariel "Owlet" Sowa || Artorius Winterbottom || Aurora "Makani'kai" Wiater || Autumn Laurel || The Bad Barkers || Benjamin Hase || Cally Foster || Cornelia Grey || Dagrun Baarda || Derrick Elthif || Donovan Cabello || Eireann Lehr || Elmira Sassafrass || Emma Fiore || Emyr Kasabian || Ferra Bestley || Fintan Kfir || Gilroy Bleddyn || Hanalei Keets || Hilarius Winterbottom || Imogene Khale || Incana Winged Blaze || Inteus Wapapow || Iorwerth/Ylli || Ithel Conlaoch || Justina Allons || Jypsei Danzer || Kailee Glint || Kaliko || Keegan Phillips || Kendall Wendle || Kenneth Kent || Kesrel Torv || Kharn Segal || Kirsikka Solvi || Ladybird "Petal" Hornwort || Lassassasya Ashaugh Seocss || Logan "Kotori" || Lorcan Dempsey || Malakai || Margot Lemaire || Maverick Alinari || Morgan Loone || Naomi Kita || Navarre Esken || Ocarern Farwind || Oddmund Greatdrool || Oliver Cabello || Pannoowau || Peregrine Liebling || Primrose Dragoslav || Pyske Daas || Qaletaqa || Quilla Anobe || Rene Zephra || Riley "Minnow" Bellerose || Ro'or Dvorak || Rosie || Rowan Alvar || Rylan Silvanus || Segari "Errum" Ggorf || Shamira Kashi || Solanacae || Sor Avi || Squeaker || Starbright Skye ||  Tiraris Silverd'art || Tighearnán High Eoforwine || Theodore Archer || Tyler Brice || Una Ornell || Vanora Partholon || Waman Pertinacity Sewati || Weilen Brunbek || Wilbur "Wilby" Smalls || Yalwa al-Kahinah || Yasmine Fairchild || Yura Elek || Zhirai Ver || Zurna Nali
[close]

Juno

Aren stiffened at his questions, nostrils flaring at the idea that anyone was out to harm the elf. But he was there now and he could only presume that whatever had happened to cause his injuries was recent by the look of things.

"Did you...escape?" From a jail or something else he wasn't quite sure what he was even asking himself. "Whatever. Whoever did that to you will pay if they dare show their face here," he grumbled angrily, still unable to let go of the blind anger he held towards that unknown entity. "I don't care the reason. That is completely unjustified." Cruel. So very cruel that he could barely hold back the tears welling at his eyes for the bright memory of the fresh, open wounds the elf had been carrying around with him for who knows how long.

"You're safe with me," he declared, though what truth there was to that he wasn't sure. He didn't know what he could even promise the skittish elf, but it was a sentiment he felt deeply in his heart. "Please, just- Let's get you something for those," he pleaded softly, already heading for the door with fingers locked firmly around Ocarern's wrist. "I'll take you to the healer."

GoblinFae

The elf shuddered in the other man's grasp, drowning under the weight of his waking nightmares. He could hear maniacal whispered tones and smell burning, bleeding flesh, in the same moment that he felt a strong, beating heart and the gentle breathing of the man cradling him close. Ocarern allowed himself to be bodily manipulated along, too emotionally shattered to resist or even really notice the change of location immediately.

It was only once they began to reach the stairs that the elf seemingly became aware again and fought to dig his heels into the polished wood floor. "No, no, no! I won't go, I won't! No go, no go! Please I want to stay," he sobbed irrationally, clinging to Arensaenger in desperation. "Don't send me back. Please, please, please," Ocarern chanted, his voice trailing off as it was cut off by wet, choking sobs.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Blood of Ash || Cleara Verdad || The Creoptera || The Reaper's Chalice || The Runner's Society || Vigilant Shadows

Characters
Agapito Perlaceo Calogero-Marcello da Lume || Ainsley Muir || Alanna Mercer "The Lioness" || Amleah Dvorak || Ariel "Owlet" Sowa || Artorius Winterbottom || Aurora "Makani'kai" Wiater || Autumn Laurel || The Bad Barkers || Benjamin Hase || Cally Foster || Cornelia Grey || Dagrun Baarda || Derrick Elthif || Donovan Cabello || Eireann Lehr || Elmira Sassafrass || Emma Fiore || Emyr Kasabian || Ferra Bestley || Fintan Kfir || Gilroy Bleddyn || Hanalei Keets || Hilarius Winterbottom || Imogene Khale || Incana Winged Blaze || Inteus Wapapow || Iorwerth/Ylli || Ithel Conlaoch || Justina Allons || Jypsei Danzer || Kailee Glint || Kaliko || Keegan Phillips || Kendall Wendle || Kenneth Kent || Kesrel Torv || Kharn Segal || Kirsikka Solvi || Ladybird "Petal" Hornwort || Lassassasya Ashaugh Seocss || Logan "Kotori" || Lorcan Dempsey || Malakai || Margot Lemaire || Maverick Alinari || Morgan Loone || Naomi Kita || Navarre Esken || Ocarern Farwind || Oddmund Greatdrool || Oliver Cabello || Pannoowau || Peregrine Liebling || Primrose Dragoslav || Pyske Daas || Qaletaqa || Quilla Anobe || Rene Zephra || Riley "Minnow" Bellerose || Ro'or Dvorak || Rosie || Rowan Alvar || Rylan Silvanus || Segari "Errum" Ggorf || Shamira Kashi || Solanacae || Sor Avi || Squeaker || Starbright Skye ||  Tiraris Silverd'art || Tighearnán High Eoforwine || Theodore Archer || Tyler Brice || Una Ornell || Vanora Partholon || Waman Pertinacity Sewati || Weilen Brunbek || Wilbur "Wilby" Smalls || Yalwa al-Kahinah || Yasmine Fairchild || Yura Elek || Zhirai Ver || Zurna Nali
[close]

Juno

Aren's chest felt like it was being crushed by the sound of Oca's pleading cries, the desperation in his voice almost too painful to hear. He placed a steadying hand to his shoulder but as soon as the elf started sobbing he quickly gathered him up in his arms.

"Shh. It's alright, Oca. I'm not sending you anywhere, I'm going with you and then we can come right back home. Do you remember Vanessa?" he asked quietly, lightly petting at Ocarern's hair in what he hoped was a soothing manner.

"She always patched me up after a scuffle and I promise she's still just as good with her salves and potions. She's a good person, I know she'd help you," he offered, afraid of leaving the elf's injuries untreated. "I can be right there beside you if it would make you feel any better."

GoblinFae

"Nasty, smelly woman," Ocarern replied with a disgusted crinkle of his nose. He never had liked the smell of her potions and brews. He continued to cling fiercely to Arensaenger but allowed himself to be moved forward even as he contemplated the consequences of seeing Vanessa. "Promise no leavy, Aren? Promise me?" the elf asked, his ears flapping about so hard they probably were smacking his friend. "I don't want to be alone anymore, Aren. Please no leavy."
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Juno

Aren't had to stifle a laugh at Ocarern's opinion of the healer. Instead he flashed him an encouraging smile and kept his arm around his waist to help guide him down the stairs. At least he told himself the elf needed his guidance and that was why they needed to be touching at that very moment.

"I promise I won't leave without you. I'll be right there, you won't be alone," he tried to assure him. "And if you want privacy I can just...turn my back while she patches you up. That sound okay?"

GoblinFae

Ocarern remained glued to his friend's side as they ventured down and out of the tavern. The light of day made the elf flinch slightly, turning inward towards his friend more as if the human could protect him from that too. He murmured quietly to himself as they went, lost to his own memories and horrors, though he gave Arensaenger no trouble as they traveled the short distance. His favorite human could lead him to the ends of the earth and still Ocarern would have followed with the state he was in.

A series of sneezes pulled the elf from his thoughts making him realize that they had at last arrived. He scowled and wrinkled his nose as the assault of different scents and colors threatened to overwhelm him. "No leavy," he growled at the other man, shifting to clutch the much larger hand tightly within his own small grasp. Arensaenger was not going to be escaping Ocarern any time soon whether he liked it or not.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Juno

"I promise." Aren smiled in what he hoped would be an encouraging manner, but the elf seemed a bit distracted and he didn't really blame him. It was clear he'd been through a lot in their time apart and whatever that had been seemed to leave him exceptionally cautious.

Aren knocked on the door to Vanessa's shop gently before entering. It wasn't common for her to have extended visitors, people tended to come by only to place and pick up specific orders, but he was convinced from what he'd briefly seen that Ocarern would need more specialized attention than he could give his wounds.

As he expected her shop was empty except for the gentle sound of tinkling glass in the back room behind her counter. "One moment!" she called distractedly, making her way through to the front in a hurry, panting to catch her breath with a smile that quickly turned to recognition. "Aren! How can I help you today?" Her eyes flickered between the pair, a small glint of recognition in her eyes towards Ocarern and it took her several moments of silent contemplation to see exactly who he was. Despite the years the elf looked more or less the same as before.

"Well we need a little help with a he-"

"Ocarern, isn't it? My it's been a long time since we saw you," she mused quietly, relaxing and wiping her hands of the potion she'd been working with across her skirts. "Sorry, how can I help?" She lifted her head with an apologetic smile, meeting Aren's eyes.

A slow blush grew on Aren's cheeks, his grip tightening slightly on Oca's hand. "I'd like your help with a healing salve. Or treatment. Something. Um, for him." The human looked Ocarern's way, his eyes lingering on the back of his shoulders for a moment before he looked back to her with an apologetic smile. He knew he was being vague but he hoped she wouldn't press the elf for information and could help him without any fuss.

"Oh!" She blinked, eyeing the elf curiously and not seeing anything wrong with him since he hid it so well. "Can I ask what kind of...injury?" she asked Ocarern gently.

GoblinFae

The elf scowled at the woman and the mention of why they were there. If he was not feeling so overwhelmed and clinging so tightly to his friend's hand then he would have scuttled out of the shop in no time at all. "Minor fall," he grunted out, the lie feeling thick and heavy on his tongue as he both avoided eye contact and fought to keep his wildly flailing ears in control.

It was obvious though even to his ears that he was lying and did not wish to draw more attention to himself. Instead he squeezed Arensaenger's hand tighter and leaned in closer against the man's side. Ocarern wanted nothing to do with showing or telling what happened. Showing the human he loved was enough. The woman, healer or not, had no need to see how weak and pathetic he really was.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Juno

Aren sucked in a tight breath at Ocarern's obvious lie, frowning slightly and staring at him quizzically. He didn't understand why he would lie, he didn't understand the shame he felt. Lying would get them nowhere, though, and wouldn't get him the help he needed to heal.

"I don't know how...or what happened," he told her honestly, nodding his head and gesturing behind the elf. "He has deep cuts on his back. So many and- and they aren't closing. He's still bleeding."

He narrowed his eyes and glanced between them, hoping she might understand the importance of the situation. To his relief her eyes widened, her mouth falling open slightly in surprise. It probably wasn't a typical morning for her to get customers walking in with grievous wounds in their small town.

"Oh my... I-I think I can help. Stay right here, I'll make something for you right now," she promised, dashing away back to her workbench and hurrying to whip up a few concoctions. When she returned with two jars she looked between them with concern before handing them to Aren with a sympathetic smile.

"No charge, unless you'll give me a drink next time I'm down your way." Vanessa giggled nervously and eyed Aren, probably a little too comfortable in lingering on him openly before she remembered she hadn't fully explained their uses to him.

"So the grey one. Use that until his wounds close, it should help his body heal and numb pain a bit. Use the green one once they scar up. It should help him relax and still numb things so he can heal neatly. Let me know if you run out of any and need more. You'll want to use the green until the scars start to fade," she explained, tapping the top on each jar as she spoke.

Aren nodded along with her explanations, eyeing Oca warily and hoping he would permit him to help. "Thank you for your help, I'm sorry to barge in on you like this. You'll definitely have that drink next time you're around," he promised, smiling tiredly and tugging lightly on Oca's hand to try to lead him back towards the door. The sooner he could get him back home and in relative privacy the better.

GoblinFae

Ocarern clung tightly to Arensaenger, refusing to let go of the human even as he conversed and accepted the healing salves from the woman. The elf said nothing during the entire exchange though he did not stop for a second from casting furious scowls her way with every seemingly flirtatious word she said to his human.

He could not get them both out of there fast enough. Ocarern did not need any encouraging to leave beyond his friend's small tug of his hand. A moment later and the elf was all but dragging the human out of the shop and back to the tavern in a flurry. By the time they reached there, despite it being such a short walk, Ocarern was practically hyperventilating as he shook fiercely for reasons he could not even understand. Caught between reality and nightmares, his own lifeline to the present was his clammy hand in Arensaenger's larger one.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Juno

Aren walked in silence, trying to keep up with the elf without running and stumbling a few times for his efforts. Once they were back at the tavern and he got a good look at him trembling so bad he felt the familiar ache in his chest from the day before when he'd seen how stressed the elf had been.

"Let's go inside," he spoke softly, trying to be mindful of Ocarern's sensitive ears as he led him through the door and as quietly up the stairs as he could. Once safely behind the door to his room Aren set the salves down on the bedside table and turned to gingerly hold the elf by his shoulders. He desperately wanted to hug him and almost decided against it when he thought on how much he usually hated being "caged."

"I'm sorry, we don't have to go out again if you don't want to," he whispered, not understanding the source of the elf's stress but carefully snaking his arms around his shoulders and neck to hold him closer, trying to be mindful of his wounds.

GoblinFae

The elf allowed himself to be led inside and dragged up to Arensaenger's room without a fight. Once there though he could not help breaking down and dissolving into a mess of tears, his face white and clammy with fear. He clung to his old friend the moment it was safe to and just absolutely refused to let go. In his fear, he was long beyond caring about touch beyond that which could cause the searing pain in his back to reignite.

"Must stay safey. No safe. Can't find me. Mustn't find me. No safe. No safe," he repeated shaking his head hard against the other man's chest. "Sorry. Sorry. Sorry. So sorry. Will be good elfie. I pwomise. No hurtie please no hurtie. I'll be good. So, so good. Don't let him find me," he begged, his words disjointed and harsh as he whispered them in a jumbled mess. Ocarern was too far gone in his memories to realize all that he was saying or that he was not in any danger from Arensaenger or his former master for that matter. All he knew was that he hurt and hurting mean run, more pain is coming.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Juno

It broke his heart to see and hear such fear in the elf. His brow furrowed in worry for what had happened to him while he'd been away when he was so clearly afraid of "him" finding him.

"I've got you. You're safe here," Aren murmured quietly, holding him in a gentle hug and trying so hard to just be strong for his clearly traumatized friend instead of demanding answers about his past. He'd always known him to be quite the clever pickpocket but Ocarern was a kind soul and one that did not deserve such lingering torment.

He eyed the first jar of salve, slowly reaching around the elf to swipe it off the table again. With his other hand he quietly removed its top and gently pulled Oca's tunic up to bunch around over the tops of his shoulders.

Gentle assurances were murmured under his breath as he dipped his fingers into the jar to scoop out a bit of the gray mixture. He made slow but steady work of spreading a layer of the medicinal ointment along the elf's back, using all his restraint not to flinch at the feel of his cuts right against his bare hand.

Aren bit at his own lip to stifle the tears that threatened to spill across his cheeks, not understanding at all how the elf had made it home with such wounds or how he even gone out with him like nothing was wrong at all. His gentle voice turned to whispered prayers as he finished covering the last of the elf's wounds, slowly replacing the top and rolling his shirt back down with the hope that the elf would not flee if he was spared from sudden movements. He hoped dearly for Vanessa's medicines to work for him, to numb what pain he must have been in and help his body heal.

"Would you like to rest? I should probably check downstairs but... I'd rather stay with you today," Aren spoke through sniffles, blinking rapidly to keep the tears from flowing.

GoblinFae

Ocarern was completely lost in his own world. He did not see Aren reach for the salve, nor did he know until it was too late what the other man was trying so desperately to do. It was a blessing therefore that the elf was suffering from such a sensory overload between the memories and the flashing colors of his own emotions that the pain was a dull roar in the back of his head.

He clung with a iron-grip to the human's clothes while he worked on him and he whimpered and cried pitifully. Ocarern was not about to release the other man even if his life depended upon it. He feared that if he did he would lose Aren and completely succumb to the pain and horror of his former reality. Aren as his port in the storm, his anchor at shore and the little thief was not about to give that up for anything. He needed him and he was selfish enough to hold onto that.

Slowly, ever so dreadfully slow, the pain began to numb. The searing fire in Ocarern's bones dimmed though remained. he slumped, exhausted, forward against Aren and nuzzled his nose against the other man's neck. "no leavy," he begged quietly, his voice sounding hoarse and chocked up as he spoke. "Please no leavy, Aren. I needy you," he breathed against the warm skin so close to his lips. "I'll be good," he promised. "So, so goody. Just stay. Please?"
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Juno

It was like a knife through his chest to hear the desperation in the voice of the man he'd loved. He swallowed hard against the tightness in his throat, nodding eagerly as he braced the elf to him with cautious hands at his sides. He was too fearful of hurting him to give him a proper hug.

"Right, no leaving," he agreed, pressing a light kiss to the elf's hair. Surely his sister would understand once he could explain their circumstances, but it did leave him in an awkward position when he'd been such a stable part of keeping the inn running smoothly for years.

Aren knelt slightly, scooping Oca up by his thighs and cradling him close. He slowly walked them back to the bed, plopping down gently to sit but holding the elf close on his lap. "Are you okay? Is there anything you need?" he asked quietly, chewing at his lip nervously and having no idea what he could offer the elf besides the quiet calm of the room and his presence without leaving him or making him brave the presence of others again.

GoblinFae

The elf whimpered with each movement, his breath caught in his chest until they were still again. He breathed slow and shallowly through his teeth just trying to will the pain away. Bit by bit the stillness and the medicine began to work and cool numbness spread through him. Only then did Ocarern slump completely forward onto Aren and relax his grip on the other man.

Tentatively, he licked his lips, realizing only then that he had abused his bottom lip badly as he fought through the pain. The sting was startling but not unexpected. Ocarern buried his face against the human's neck, hoping to derive more comfort from the touch as well as shield his own pain from him.

"Fine," he murmured roughly, smoothing his hands out across Aren's shirt as if to brush away the deep wrinkles he had set into the fabric with his desperate clinging. The elf adjusted his seat more firmly in the man's lap while nuzzling his face against him more. A dark voice in his head reminded him that he owed Aren and should repay him in the way his former master had taught him.

His hands dropped lower and lower to play slowly with the hem of the other man's shirt at his sides. "Thank you for your kindness," he continued. "I do not deserve it. I have not earned it," Ocarern added, slipping his hands underneath to touch warm flesh, "yet."
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Juno

As Ocarern began to relax Aren was able to breathe a soft sigh of relief. He hoped the medicine would work well for him, he never wanted to see the elf enduring the pain he'd seen on his face and in his eyes before. It was breaking his heart a bit to hear that he thought he didn't deserve it, though. Despite their past, the elf had always held a special place in his heart. Perhaps he hadn't done enough to show him that, had jumped to conclusions too quickly and not shown him enough kindness in the past. Aren could only hope he might be able to rebuild what was lost to time.

"You don't have to thank me for kindness, Oca. You deserve that and my respect," he reminded him gently, raising a questioning brow for the way the elf was teasing his fingers along the hem of his shirt. As his hands slipped beneath it, though, Aren bit back the small noise of surprise as he tilted his head to look down to watch him.

As confused as he was about the why, he couldn't help but think Oca looked particularly nice perched on his lap as he was. And just his hands on bare skin was enough to raise butterflies in his stomach, nevermind the sudden warmth that seemed to radiate from his hands that he kept firmly at the elf's waist. "What do you mean yet?" he whispered, eyeing him curiously but not exactly wanting him to stop.