Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

The Tome (Parkie!)

Started by Aleron, December 06, 2015, 03:19:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aleron

Lucas came to a stop, his feet squishing into the mud below. Though he was in a half dry, half muddy area of a riverside marsh, the air was surprisingly clear.
Puffy white cotton balls floated high in the sky, casting shadows as they rolled overhead.
Lucas bit his lip, and slipped his hand into his satchel, grabbing around for his map, which had made its way to the top after being constantly summoned. He unfolded it, resting his weight on one foot, and then scanned the thinly wooded Marsh around him. The river slowly churned a few hundred meters to his right, the great mass of water persevering down a muddy gorge like a large, azul worm. It's bend mirrored what was on his map; this was definitely the place. But if this was where the ancient ruins of a great temple once lay, a temple that was reveled throughout the ancient magic tomes as the forboding protector of the Book of Crystals, then why was there an underwhelming lack of anything?

Parkway

Opaas had felt the mud seeping into his boots for about two hours now.  He decided this was most unpleasant.  But, the reward.  Remember and focus on that. 

He left his horse Engof back with the stable master this would not be a job he could take him on.  He'd rent one when he needed too.  The elf paused.  A silhouette was noticed up ahead.  Who in the underworld would be in the gods forsaken place?  He narrowed his eyes and watched the male.  It was a male...possible elven or human...not an ogre or troll!  But what was he doing out this way?

Opaas stilled his breathing.  Who else knew of this place?  Was he here for the tome?     

He followed the river the squish of his boots the only thing that could be heard.     

Aleron

Lucas pouted, and huffed. Hands on his hips, he glared at the muddy sludge that was oozing around his now-spoiled boots. He sighed, exhasperated, and looked back up at the marsh. He held his map up to align with the horizon in front of his face; the river was in the same place as it was in the sketch of the temple, and even the treeline was the same, though thicker and larger in real life. All this meant that he was standing, supposably, right before the temple.

What even.

He crossed his arms before his chest, and looked around, stretching his neck until it popped; a habit he did when he was anxious, or overwhelmed. He looked to the right—crack—then to the left—pop!—then up, to the bright blue sky—snap—and then, twisting his torso, he turned to face behind him; "OOOoohh!"
He screamed out, losing balance and nearly falling into the mud. A man stood behind him, and Lucas cried out again, eyes wide and set on the man. His jaw could've touched the floor from the gaping, startled frown he made.

Parkway

He was startled by this mans reaction.  It even startled him.

Opaas put his pointer to his lips and made the shhh noise.  What was this man doing here!  Who was this man?  He was human from all looks of it.  How had he stumbled upon this site and what was the parchment in his grip?

He grabed for the man who appeared to be falling.  "Oooff!!!  What the hell?" 

He wasn't sure what this man was doing here or why he was but what was that parchment in his hands?  Who was he?  And more importantly why was he here?  "You okay?"  He tried to act nonchalantly.  "You lost?"

Aleron

Lucas spun on his heel in the mud, holding onto the stranger's arm for balance, and quite frankly, dear life. Or, at least the dear life of his favorite white tunic, which he now regretted wearing.
"Thank you," he managed to say as he swung into balance. Regaining his footing, he smiled at the man whilst letting g of his arm. Upon seeing the man's face clearer, he smiled just a bit brighter.
He took a couple shallow breaths and brushed invisible dust from his tunic's chest, his fingers running over the leather straps and orange trimwork.
"That just about was end of me, there," he said, and laughed lightly.

Parkway

Opaas raised one eyebrow.  He was a skeptic by nature and this male figure was out in the Riverland's in white! 

But he had not said who he was or why he was there...  Two things not lost on Opaas.

"Your welcome."  He said eloquently.   And he added...  "Are you lost perhaps?"  It was feasible that this male was lost.  He appeared human but how often had he'd been hoodwinked before!  No best not to assume.

Opaas decided to be the 'helpful' citizen.   "Did you need help finding you why, my good man?"

Aleron

Lucas pouted his lips in thought, and squinted his eyes.
"Quite actually," he said, "I believe so." He wondered what would bring such a finely attired and high mannered person and an elf for that matter, to this muddy cesspool that was not only dosgraceful, but an utter an embarrassment to other cesspools. Perhaps he, too, was searching for the tome. Lucas knew not to trust others, for others were very fiesty, in his oppinion. But there was something about this elf that seemed very trustable.

"I'm looking for some ruins, as a matter of fact. The ruins of the, oh what was it called, the Temple of the Hiatus."
That word sounded fancy enough.
"Just wanted look at it and relish in the thoughts of its ancient glory, and whatnot. But it's not here."

Parkway

Opaas tilted his head.  Was this human for real?  He smiled and the man pouted..  he was lost! Seemed as though nothing to lose.  Then he spoke of some runes he was looking for...ancient glories and what have you.

This tipped Opaas' curiosity for he was seeking something very similar.   "You seek this ruin...but your eyes do not see it."  He gestured around them.  "You were prehaps looking for stone and mortar perhaps?  It is understandable."  His smile deepened. 

"Maybe this ancient glory is still here but you need to not see with your eyes?  Remember the thing you often search for is usually right before you but we are blinded by our own misconceptions."  He pointed to the parchemnt the man held.  "What does your map say?  Is this the spot?  If so close your eyes and look without them.  Maybe what you seek is here and you stand within its walls?"

This human was making him nervous he spoke of ruins and of ancient glories...who sent him here?  But more importantly what parchment was he holding?  A map?  If so who gave it to him or better yet how did he come across it? There was no doubt in Opaas' mind that they were her for the same thing.

Aleron

"Or maybe," Lucas said, raising his hands to gesture around him, "what I seek for is not here."
He groaned, annoyed, and huffed as he walked about 50 feet or so to the left. He threw his arms to his side and waved them, flustered, waiting for them to collide with a hidden structure. He touched only empty air.
He turned back to the man, narrowing his eyes and biting his lip. This man was obviously here for the same reason. But could he be trusted?
Lucas decided to consider him, as he slowly approached.
The elf was clearly rich, due to his elegant behavior and stature. He held himself high in his graces, clad in the most exquisite adornment. So he was definitely here for a reason, for even a lost noble would not venture into such a marsh. All this was a given.
Now if he could be trusted...
"I'm sorry," Lucas said. "I'm afraid I never introduced myself! My name is Lucas Thompson."
He took a shallow bow. "Charmed."

Parkway

Opaas watched the man's antics.  An amused smile spread across his face.  If he didn't know better he would have though Lord Brutus had sent this man as a distraction.  But, what would be the goal in that?  For the longer it took him to acquire the tome the longer the Lord would wait for his prize. 

The man approached and then quite gracefully introduced himself.

Opaas nodded to the man.  "I am Opaas.  Are you charmed?  Well if indeed you are than I shall probably want you on my side."  He raised his eyebrows his smile slight, just the barest upturn of the lips. 

He wasn't sure if the man was trying to fool him.  Charmed was more of what one would say to a lord or lady at a grand dinner, to his way of thinking.  Though if truth be told he too was charmed.  This man was not like anyone he'd come across.  He was dramatic but not overly so.  Outwardly he appeared trustworthy.  He neither hide nor seemed to appear in a sneaky way. 

Opaas decided there that if the man was charmed or not he'd be more of an asset.  They both appeared to be looking for the same thing.  And Lucas Thompson had something Opaas wanted to see...that parchment.

"Tell me Lucas the Charmed.  You seemed to think something would be here.  I myself thought the same.  But perhaps we need to reevaluate what it was we thought we would find."  He looked up at the canopy covered forest which blocked the skies view.  "I'd wager to say we may be looking for the same object.  I wonder if you search for it for yourself or if like me you were hired."

Aleron

Lucas looked at the man with wide eyes, pressing his lips together and raising an eyebrow. Well. That was quite straight forward, wasn't it? He thought for a moment.
"Perhaps we are," Lucas said. He hummed as he thought, and his brow furrowed.
"Well then, I guess a dance of ignorance and 'What are YOU doing here?' is no longer in the question. To burst your bubble, then, I'm here on my own whims; searching the temple for the Tome of Crystals like an old treasure story. That is what you're doing, then? Someone like you surely would only find themselves in this godsforbidden wastebucket for that reason."

Parkway

Yes he was correct!  He was sure he had never met anyone like this gent before.

"Lucas I see no reason to perform a dance when the outcome is not going to garner me any delight.  When I dance it is for pure enjoyment.  Perhaps more should be so forward it might save us all time and effort."  He eased a bit and moved forward towards the man.

"Someone like myself?"  He rubbed his chin, now what did that mean?  "Well now it appears someone like myself is in this...uh... godsforbidden wastebucket for the very same reason you are here."  He looked around the empty marsh where a fortress was supposed to be, nothing but trees.  "I was told a fortress was here, but it seems to have vanished or the location was mistakenly record.  I purpose we review what we both know and determine if maybe our sources just have it a bit off?"  He gestured to the parchment in Lucas' hand.  "Is it a map?  And if yes, did you make it from research or did you acquire it?"  Opaas new one thing there wasn't a fortress here but then again he was going off what he'd been told it isn't to say that maybe he is not looking for the right thing to begin with and maybe Lucas has more knowledge to shed on the subject.

Aleron

"I'm afraid I have to say that the map is mine purely by my own accord. You know, hobbies and sidequests.
"And I guess there's something more we have in common, other than our goals; but if we both were informed that there was a structure here, and there is obviously none, then this is more than a simple mishap or misunderstanding. Maybe the records are all wrong, then."
He shifted his weight down on one foot, but redistributed the weight evenly once his foot began oozing into the dirty, black muck. A couple flies buzzed past his nose and swatted them away.

Parkway

"I would venture to say the mud did not shallow a whole structure now would it?  No I think not.  For then at least we'd be standing on it and not still sinking."

He gave a curt nod in agreement.  For he was beginning to think all the information they had was misrepresented.  But was it done so intentionally?  Now there had to be something to go on?  But what?  Lord Brutus would not send him on a wild goose chase.

"As we are both being so upfront and I mean no disrespect when I ask this but how long have you studied this topic?  And have you ever dealt with a Mage who goes by Jove?  She I was told has been studying this and it might be in both or best interests to pay her a visit?  Though she is in La'marri, but if you are willing to go I would not mind your company."

Aleron

"I'm afraid I haven't heard anything about a 'Jove'. But, I mean, I am rather far from home..."
He bit his lip and stared at the ground, thinking.
"You know, I think I'll take you up on that offer."
He lookee back up at Opaas, his gaze slowing only once, midway up the elf's body.
Unsure if this was the right idea, he tucked that thought into the back of his head and held his hand out, ready to shake.

Parkway

Opaas took his hand in greeting.  "Our first order of business should be to get out of here.  Mmm, you agree?"  He gestured at the muck they were in and began to walk forward. 

He began to make conversation.  "You have not heard of Jove.  She is one who I've had dealings with in the past.  If anyone can shed some ideas on what we are faced with."  He spoke in a smooth clear tone.  At one point he ran his hand through his hair pulling it back and securing it in a leather cord.  "I myself do not much of this tome.  I was asked to retrieve it, what it holds is a mystery to me.  Care to enlighten me?"

He was now beginning to wonder what was so special about this tome? 

Aleron

Lucas hummed as he tried to sort out an explanation. "It's basically a priceless, ancient textbook that teaches you how to weild ice. Since Ice is one of the hardest elements to manitpulate, since it is so difficult to keep solid and crystalized, this book is very important. Not many people know about it, though, from what I'd say."
He ran his hand through his light brown hair and took a deep breath. He clicked his tongue, and shrugged. He still doubted how much he could trust this new stranger, no matter what admirable qualities he had. He walked in silence for a half minute before continuing.
"I heard about it after it kept on reoccuring in different records related to the sort. I found it intruiging, and investigated more. And that's what brought me here."

Parkway

Opaas listened as he walked in the direction of what he hopped would be the exit of this guck.  "Priceless, hmmm, sounds as if I should have held out for more gold in my dealings."  He kept his eyes swiveling about he didn't have the advantage here if something was to attack so his only defense at this moment was to eliminate any more surprises.

"I cannot say I know much about this tome.  I was hired to find it.  Which brings me to wonder what they plan to use it for."  He wasn't one to mince words.  Didn't feel the need to make a blow softer.  It was best to present the facts as they stood and let things fall where they would.   "I have heard of these great tomes from ancient days but usually paid no mind."  He moved some branches from their path.  Now that Lucas would travel with him what happens when they find the locale?  It is fair to say they both were looking to acquire the same tome and one would have to relinquish it to the other. 

"Lucas, you didn't by any chance ask someone to hire me, or another, to find this?"