Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

The Irreverant, Irregular, and Ridiculous (DragonSong!)

Started by Aleron, December 06, 2015, 05:20:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aleron

Miss Pettigrew exclaimed, "Well, and I never!"
Her plump cheeks were flushed, and her brown eyes burned with an inner anger. "He did that?"
"Oh, yes, I regret to say," a woman said, shaking her head. "Killed her, right on the spot."
Miss Pettigrew gasped, and ran her hand over her white hair. "The nerve of that young man, I say," she stammered. The other woman shook her head silently.
"He is a child! A malicious little animal without the control of a grown man."
They stood from their chairs, the eldest of them (being Miss Pettigrew) running her hands over her green, buttoned coat.
"Oh, my dear Adrienne; how much that man grinds me up. I promise to you that Francine will be avenged." To that, Miss Pettigrew shook her finger in the air. The nerve! Oh, the nerve it took to treat such a lovely lady like Adrienne so poorly. And then, to end it all with killing her poor, sweet cat. Well, this would be the end of it, that was for sure.
"No longer will you have worry about Michael," she said to the younger lady, guiding her gently to the door of her warm office with her hands on Adrienne's shoulders. "I promise you that."
"Thank you," Adrienne replied gingerly. She nodded her head to make a point. "It will be a good cause for the whole estate."
Miss Pettigrew nodded her head and closed the door behind Adrienne. Now, where had that weasel gotten to.

Michael strode down the wooden sidewalk of the quiet town of Hapleston. The loose floorboards bounced and creaked under his feet, but it was always better than walking over the dirt roads, which were muddy from the light sprinkle that had just subsided. The smell of rain and dirt mixed together, and a light morning fog filled the street. It was about midmorning, eight or so, and the sky was the most solid gray he had seen. Despite the chilly nip in the air, he was warm and cozy, much thanks to the wool-and-cotton coat Old Marthe had given him. The shawled neck hugged his own, and he smiled at the comfort.
He turned to his left, minding the wooden buildings that continued in a solid row down the street, their second floors sometimes sporting balconies made of the same drab timber.
He was making his way to the edge of town; that was where he'd usually met with Puck, during the last couple days. Though having only met a week prior, they'd become friends fast, and being the travellar's only link to the town, they spent much of their time together.
Michael exhaled, a cloud of mist bellowing out from his mouth, and he shivered. He pulled his arms out from their cross st his chest and ran a hand through his trimmed, charcoal hair.
Ahead, at last, was the slight timber gate—well, more of a sign—that hailed the edge of the town. He slightened his pace as he walked under, and looked about for his friend.

DragonSong

Puck giggled to himself as he saw Michael approaching. He noticed the human was cold- that was why his breath fogged the air, right?- and a wicked, teasing glint stole into his eyes.

In a blink he changed shape, becoming a small, easily overlooked gray mouse. He scurried around the young man to pop up behind him in human form, puffing his cheeks to blow a wintery breath across his neck.

"Hi there," he said brightly, then he folded his arms and pouted. "I was waiting. What took you so long?"

Aleron

Michael jumped, his arms shooting out and his face contorting into a startled gape. "Whooooooaaaaaa my gods," he gasped, and his head sunk to his shoulders. He regained his balance and spun around, and glared at Puck.
"Why must you why must you always do that?" He stammered. Trying to keep a straight face, he continued, "Every single time!"
Biting his lip to supress a grin, be gave up and laughed. He rolled his eyes and groaned to make up for his lack of seriousness. He pursed his lips and stared daggers at Puck, whilst smiling all the while, and walked past him.
"Come on, then," he said as he waved his hand forward, walking away. "Let's go buy you some fruits."
He turned his torso, then flipped around and walked backwards under the gate, grinning at Puck.

DragonSong

Puck chuckled delightedly. Always a different reaction, even though he'd been pulling the same trick for days! Still laughing to himself, he followed Michael back under the gate.

"I still don't understand why you insist on paying for things," he said, rolling his eyes. "It'd be so much easier for me to just..." He waved his hand around to indicate magic and smirked, raising an eyebrow.

Aleron

"Yes, but I don't steeeeal. I'm good." He waved his arms to emphasize. "And, I mean, even if I did; never from Old Marthe, bless her old soul. Oh, did you see what she made me?"
He tugged on his new sweater. "You wouldn't believe how warm I am right now."

DragonSong

Puck reached out to feel the material. His lips curved up at the corners. "You sure are industrious little creatures, you humans," he said happily.

Then he tilted his head. Warmth and cold meant little to him- he felt them, but they didn't really effect him. Still, Michael seemed happy about it.

"Let me see," he said, glancing around to make sure no one was watching before he shifted again, becoming a small pine martin and wrapping himself around the young man's neck, burrowing into the collar of the sweater.

Aleron

Michael froze, his arms stiff at his side and his body rigid. He stared into nowhere as Puck's now tiny clawed paws scratched along his neck.
"I truly have no idea how to feel about this," he said, unflinchingly. He shrugged it off and continued down the street, jumping up onto the wooden sidewalk once more.
"I never could've imagined myself saying this, but you are very warm," he said to Puck as he rounded a corner to another street. There weren't many people out yet; the perfect time to buy.
"Can I call you weasel? Or, better yet, I wouldn't doubt this makes me look like I'm wearing one of those fancy fur coats the nobles up on the hill wear. I ought to stitch you right onto this sweater."
Though he provided warmth, Michael stole into an alleyway for the shapeshifter to shift his shape back. He'd rather be standing next to him at the market than having him paw at his neck, thank you very much.
Buy maybe later, when it became chillier. Puck was surprisingly quite warm, indeed.

DragonSong

Puck chittered at him and jumped to the ground, taking human form in mid air. "If you really want to look fancy-like, I can turn into one of those big, spotted cats stupid nobles pretend to keep as pets until they turn around and maul them," he said, smiling brightly.

He bumped Michael's shoulder and added, arching one eyebrow, "But if you start calling me weasel, I will spell your nose blue." He sniffed primly. "That was a pine martin, by the way."

Still, he didn't exactly mind being a scarf. It was kinda nice not to have to walk.

Aleron

"I think I'm fine without a big cat, thank you very much."Michael turned back into the road, clasping his hands behind his back. A speck of such light lit through the clouds, lighting the wooded mountain ridge that rose high into the air in the distance. A few people, bundled in warm clothing and shawls, emerged from the storefronts with baskets in hand. The market was just ahead, at the heart of town.
A wooden-and-stone statue of a man on a horse, which had grown green and brown with moss and mold, rose in the center of the town square, which was lined with larger, three storied buildings that sported elegent stained glass windows. The five or six stalls ran in a ring around the square. Luckily, the square had cobblestone roads, unlike the rest of the town. And thank the gods for that. The crimes mud would do to Michael's leather shoes, which had cost nearly a whole silver coin, would be irreversable.
"Well," he said. He trailed to a stop and twisted his torso around to face Puck.
"What to buy first..."

DragonSong

"Apples," the fae creature said immediately. His forests didn't actually have a lot of apple trees, and those that grew bore only small, sour fruits. He found he was becoming quite fond of the ones Michael bought.

"And, you know..." He waved a hand airily, smirking. "Whatever you want, I suppose."

Aleron

"You and your apples," Michael said, shaking his head with an idle grin. He turned back around and wandered into the square.
He gestured to the open market and said, "You can do whatever, I suppose. I'm going to go see Marthe."
He shoved a hand into his pocket and pulled out a coin purse, which jingled from the handful of copper inside.
"Here," he said, as he tossed the bag gingerley, awaiting for it to land in Puck's hand. "Buy some apples. Get maybe.... four? Meet me over there when you're done because I want to get something else, too."

DragonSong

Puck raised an eyebrow as he caught the purse. Michael normally didn't leave him alone with money. Something about how he need supervision.

He shrugged. "Okay, then." Whistling and twirling the purse around his finger by the string, he approached the apple seller with a winning smile. He didn't quite understand human money, so he plopped a few coins into the vender's hand in exchange for four apples as he'd seen Michael do.

He supposed he'd done it right, because the apple seller didn't say anything, just stared wide-eyed at the coins. He shrugged again and tripped lightly over to where Michael had told him to meet him.

Aleron

Michael ducked under some hanging pendents and into the shelter of Marthe's small stand. It was more of a tent, really, supporter by two five stakes and covered by a burgandy and brown leather tarp.
"Hello," he said softly. His eyes darted around the small vending post until he spotted Marthe slouched on her rocking chair, a bottle of ale tipped over by her hand, which dangled over the cobble. A few sweaters, coats, hoods, or anything akin where folding neatly on her table. She snored softly. Michael knew not to wake her, for she had quite angry hangovers, and closed up her stall before leaving. He'd have to say thank you another time. He ducked back under the pendents in time to see Puck bounce across the square over to him with a giddy grin on his face. Michael immediately smiled and surpressed a laugh from the expression he made.
"You got the apples, yes?" He called. With a couple strides he met Puck by the statue.

DragonSong

"Yep!" Puck grinned and took a bite from one piece of fruit, tossing another to Michael. "Oh, and here's your shiny bits of metal back." He tossed the coin purse over as well.

He knew what coins were, what money was called. He just liked playing dumb to annoy the human.

Aleron

Michael rolled his eyes.
"Well, what else do you need? Today's the last day the markets going to be open for the next week, what with Hansweighn. You'd be best off buying everything now.
"I am going to go buy a hood. Can I have my money?"
He held out his open palm, awaiting the similar feel of the small pouch.

DragonSong

Puck shrugged and handed the money over. "What's this Hansweighn thing again?" he asked, tilting his head curiously.

Aleron

Michael shrugged. "Just some holiday everyone goes crazy over for a good week or so every winter. I mean, I'm fond of it, but that's about it. Who knows though; maybe you'll love it."
Michael shook the money in his hand and wandered to Reginald's storefrontx which was in one of the buildings opposite. He beckoned for Puck to follow.

DragonSong

Unhurried, Puck meandered after him. Experimentally, he blew a breath into the cold air.

Nothing.

He frowned briefly, then shrugged it off. Human thing. "So is this where you're buying your hood?" he asked curiously. "We haven't been to this store before. Who runs it? Is it always here? Why do you have to pay for everything?"

Aleron

"Puuuuuck," Michael whined, pleading with his arms. He could swear Puck did half of these just to get him.
"Yes. And it's owned by Reginald, the old guy with balding hair. You know, you should buy yourself some earmuffs so you can retain everything I tell you, instead of it all going in one ear and out the other."

DragonSong

Puck stuck his tongue out at him, then turned and folded his arms over his chest, pretending to pout. "No need to be sarcastic," he said, but he was smirking.

Wrinkling his nose, he ducked behind him companion on a whim. "I don't want to talk to him. Can't I be a martin again?"