Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

In the Shadows (Discontinued)

Started by Icepop213, December 12, 2015, 01:16:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Icepop213

Maleth Dunmoor sat in the back if the tavern, inspecting the many people, looking for a certain face. He tried to think back to when he was 14 years old, how he had watched his parents get murdered, how he had tried to help. How he had failed. He ran a finger down his cheek, which had a long scar running down it. Maleth looked back again at the crowd of people, trying to find the same face he saw 6 years ago. The bloodthirsty expression on his face. Maleth slammed his hand on the table, attracting attention to the corner he was sitting in. He looked at them and reached for his sword. They all suddenly turned back and continued their normal activities. He glared at them all with hatred. He was quite thirsty, but didn't feel like talking to the bartender. He reached for his neck and grasped his pendant. He looked down at it and felt a tear roll down his cheek. He was enraged at this. He wiped his cheek quickly and looked down at his hands.

Arclightning

Talin was watching the cloaked figure with hooded eyes. He glanced at the door as it opened. Just another farmer coming in for an evening drink. Talin' eyes went back to the figure in the corner. He glanced at the sword, the cloak, and the scar. Definitely a mercenary. Crap. Just another guy tryin' to steal his work. Wonderful. He hadn't had a job in months and was on his last leg.

Talin moved slowly, as if approaching a wild beast, to the  table next to the dark figure. He leaned back in his chair and said slowly and quietly in a carefully measured voice so that only the two mercenary could hear:
"How about one of us doesn't starve when a job shows up?"

JackieCat

As Lorin Silverith stepped over the threshold and into the the tavern her green eyes were already surveying everyone in the room, from the farmers who sat at the bar and at the tables, to the few cloaked travelers, to the two tall men sitting in the back of the tavern in the shadows.  They were especially intriguing, and she could assume what kind of men they were, the kind of men she needed.

It was obvious that one of the men had just joined the first, and had spoken, but, despite Lorin's elvish hearing, the noise of the tavern blocked out his words.  Lorin made her way towards the men, the elf's long black hair falling down her back, despite the fact that it was in a high ponytail.

Being a thief, Lorin was quite adept at hiding and blending in, but now she made no effort to, and turned a few heads.  She was quite beautiful, and despite being only eighteen, looked like a woman.  A few of the farmer's wives glared at her, their husbands were taking notice of her despite her dark green skin.

Lorin walked up to the table, ignoring everyone else in the room save the two men, she looked down at them.

"Hello," she said calmly, crossing her arms and raising one thin black eyebrow. "I'm in need of assistance."
My Open Threads!
None currently, but if you want to thread, don't hesitate to PM me!

My Characters!
Kirl Moonharber---Lorin--- The Feari --- Akhe---Kilarhas---Naarilash---Kinn---Jiminie---Faelis---Karishk---Cirick---Sieera---Kornos--- Ariznim--- Dergan---Meerior---Zier'ik'shalsalimigarizdeniime---Keyne---Seridin---Elliot---Healin---Warn Danish---Revvil---Kashka---Ishka---Nox---Skiffiles---Jlyyth---
Flordia
---Larcan---Kannae---Anton

For summaries of my characters, JackieCat's Characters!

Some people live more in twenty years than others do in eighty.  It's not the time that matters, it's the person.
~The Doctor

Arclightning

Talks turned away from the strange mercenary to focus on the elf in front of him. She was decent as employers go. Probably not much money on hand but fun adventures and hidden treasure troves aplenty. Probably.
"Well thank you kindly then. My name is Talin. And you madam are?
He raised an eyebrow inquisitively.

Icepop213

Maleth watched the two talk and glared at them with hatred. He looked at the elf and, to everyone's surprise, spoke,"I'm not get mixed into any of this mess. If you need someone who can take care of business quickly, I'm your guy." He looked at her through his deep, blue eyes. He was still thinking about that day. It made him cringe.

JackieCat

"I'm Lorin," the elf answered, and she again raised her eyebrow, this time at the man who had spoken last, looking straight into his blue eyes. "So you agree to assist me before you even know the details of the job?"

Lorin was not very surprised, the man did have a strange air about him.  Normally Lorin did not hire people, she usually did things by herself, as she was nearly always capable, but there were exceptions, and now, she needed help.
My Open Threads!

My Characters!
Kirl Moonharber---Lorin--- The Feari --- Akhe---Kilarhas---Naarilash---Kinn---Jiminie---Faelis---Karishk---Cirick---Sieera---Kornos--- Ariznim--- Dergan---Meerior---Zier'ik'shalsalimigarizdeniime---Keyne---Seridin---Elliot---Healin---Warn Danish---Revvil---Kashka---Ishka---Nox---Skiffiles---Jlyyth---
Flordia

Some people live more in twenty years than others do in eighty.  It's not the time that matters, it's the person.
~The Doctor

Arclightning

Talin turned around startled
"Now what do you think you're doing? He asked with a hint of desperation in his voice. No no no no no I need this job or I'll be back to searching back alleys for scraps. "You never did answer my question. Can we work together? He turned to the elf."I swear by Steel I can help you. Don't let me starve on the streets and die of boredom!" He was almost shouting his eyes shining with the beginning of tears. The other tavern-goers were starting to notice, and the bartender shot them a look of confusion.

Icepop213

Maleth chuckled as he heard this. "Now, I guess we could work together on this. After all, I'm not about to let someone starve." He leaned back in his chair. And looked back at the elf. "Now, what again did you need?" He grasped his pendant and shook away painful memories.

Arclightning

Talin slumped back in his chair, the perfect image of vast relief. He wiped the sweat off his brow and the half formed tears out of his eyes while smiling a smile that even its shape said "thank you so much you are a wonderful person." He turned back to Lorin an said in a slightly embarrassed voice
"Indeed. All this fuss for something unknown and possibly dangerous. His smile twisted upwards to turn his statement into a question.

Icepop213

Maleth agreed. He looked back at the elf and asked, "What is it you need?" He knew he would be able to handle it, but wanted to know what it was just in case. He smiled at her and stroked his blade under the table. This blade had helped him through many a difficult situation, and he knew it would help him now.

JackieCat

Lorin now raised both eyebrows at the man's near-hysterical outburst.  But she smiled somewhat boredly as the other man agreed that they both could have the job.

"I'm hiring both of you," Lorin said, confirming the second man's words. "And what I need is fairly simple.  I need to acquire some items before an enemy of mine does.  Usually I would not need any help, but my enemy is powerful, and I can't afford to lose."

This was not very descriptive, Lorin knew, and she would not blame the men if they asked questions, but for now, they would only know what they needed to know.

"And don't worry, you'll be paid fairly," she added.  She did have money to pay them, but judging from her simple clothes one would not guess.  And in this tavern, Lorin did not want to have to expose the amount of money she was carrying.
My Open Threads!

My Characters!
Flordia

~The Doctor

Icepop213

"Hmm...well then, what are we waiting for? Let's do this." Maleth stood up, revealing his enormous height. He put on his hood and looked down at the other two. He headed for the door. 'Let's hope she can pay. Bybthe looks of her clothes, I don't know if she'll have enough.'

JackieCat

As the man stood and started for the door, Lorin looked over at the first man, Talin.  "I'm guessing you two don't know each other at all?" she asked.

Not waiting for an answer, she already knew, Lorin motioned for Talin to follow and walked after the first man. "You're just walking off, and you don't even know where we're going?" she asked him, falling in step beside him.
My Open Threads!

My Characters!
Flordia

~The Doctor

Icepop213

"I was actually walking home to grab a few things first." He looked at her. Then he started for the door again. "Wait here with him." He motioned to the other man. "I'll come back when I'm ready." He was planning on changing out of his cloak into his armor. He walked out and headed for home. Inside, he opened a chest in his room and pulled out his grey garb. He rubbed at the metal shoulder pieces and started to change. He looked at himself in his mirror to make sure everything was alright, then headed back to the tavern.

Arclightning

Sweet victory! The claws of stagnation and entropy have been pushed back another day.
"Speaking of grabbing a few things, I have some buisness with the barkeep." Talin said to Lorin. As he turned away it occurred to him that she was quite pretty. Nah. Not his type. He smiled a knowing smile and headed to the bar. "Keep!" He shouted. " I need my stuff from the back. Can you go get it?" Stupid way to get the barman out of the room, but strangely, it worked.
"Sure and I'll get your tab too." He shot Talin a glare. Talus scowled. He didn't owe THAT much money. He shook his head and looked around after he was sure no one was watching he slipped quietly into the back room after the barkeep. He saw the man rummaging through a stack of papers. Probably different tabs for long-time patrons. Talin grit his teeth, and clamped a hand on the barkeeps mouth and swiftly slit his throat with a long machete. As he breathed his last Talin stood and whispered "my soul is saved for another week. So help me." Slowly as if covered in syrup he stepped back into the main room and returned to his chair without another word.

JackieCat

Lorin nodded as the man as he left to get some things from his home, then turned back to Talin, but saw him heading for the back.  She didn't follow, she had heard him tell the barkeep to get his things, perhaps he had some business to discuss with the fellow.

But when he returned Lorin immediately sensed something was off, though she didn't link the feeling with Talin.  She looked to him and sat down at the table.  Then she stood and went to the bar.  If they were going to wait, may as well get a drink.

A moment after she stepped up to the bar a barmaid walked up, asking her what she wanted.

"Ale," the elf said, and the girl nodded.  A moment later Lorin was holding a mug of strong ale.  She went to sit back down at the table, taking a long swig of the beverage.

She had nearly finished when the first man returned.  Lorin gulped down the rest of her drink and stood.

"Ready to go?" she asked, but before anyone could respond, a bloodcurdling scream ripped through the air.

"Murder!" the scream of a woman came from the back room. "Bloody murder!"
My Open Threads!

My Characters!
Flordia

~The Doctor

Arclightning

When the screams started Talin knew the barkeep had been found. He crossed the room with swift strides to Lorin.
"Come with me outside where we can wait for our other buisness partner, and hopefully not get thrown in jail." With that he turned and walked outside without checking to see if Lorin was following. As soon as he got outside he took a cloak from inside his pack and wrapped it around himself, concealing his armor and sat down on a bench across the street. He was the perfect image of a weary traveler taking a break from the dusty road, while he was really just waiting for his new companions.

JackieCat

Lorin narrowed her eyes at Talan as he approached and spoke.  When he walked outside she didn't follow, not right away at least.  He had acted mighty suspicious, and if he was a murderer, Lorin wanted to know more about it.

Her superior scent could start to smell the blood now, and she ran around back to see the body.  There were already a bunch of people crowding around, but Lorin pushed through.  Slit throat, most likely a larger weapon, a dagger would not have cut so deep so quickly.   Lorin inspected the body a moment longer before following Talin outside and sitting next to him.

"Why'd you kill him?" she asked.  She wasn't sure that the man had committed the crime, but she acted like she knew, crossing her arms over her chest and looking sideways at the young man.
My Open Threads!

My Characters!
Flordia

~The Doctor

Arclightning

As soon as the words left her mouth Talin slumped a little. She's a smart one. Smart and pretty, a dangerous combination. Too bad he was taken.
"She made me. She eats the blood of men. And I serve it to her on a silver, no, steel platter." That was all she needed to know. Steel hates it when he reveals her secrets. He turned to her and waited for any sort of reaction.

JackieCat

Lorin his her triumph, he had confessed, and she hadn't even really known the answer, but she could also tell that the murder had not been out of spite, or even some sadistic pleasure, definitely not that.  Talin seemed like he really didn't want to kill the man.

The only emotion Lorin showed when he confessed was tilting her head back a bit and lifting her eyebrows, looking the man in the eye.

After a moment she spoke. "Who's 'she'?"  She asked the question as though this was an everyday matter, as if she were speaking of the weather.
My Open Threads!

My Characters!
Flordia

~The Doctor