Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Fire Rising [Archive]

Started by DragonSong, January 09, 2016, 09:16:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DragonSong

He scowled at her, but flopped to the ground with a sigh. "Yeah. Alright. Fine."

He looked up at her sidelong, frowning not in anger now but in sheer confusion. "Look, sorry about...running out like that. It's just- this is-" He waved his hand with a breathless, not-at-all-amused laugh.

SilmeriaElemred

''Well most people with fire magic are impulsive. Sometimes rude. But also tend to be very loyal people when it comes to family and friends. Your father used one of my feathers to call me to help you. I am still going to scold him for not having done so sooner but that aside. You do have a choice. Magic binds you to your human form. You can decide to keep living as a human with fire magic or you decide you want to embrace your heritage. Do note. Living as a human will not make your lifespam as one. I for one am 1400 years old.''

DragonSong

"Fourteen hundred-" Mal repeated incredulously, then choked off, staring at her with wide eyes. She looked about his age, maybe even younger. Of course he knew that didn't really mean anything, but such a high number was still a bit of a shock.

"I don't- I don't know what I want to do," he mumbled after a few moments, feeling rather shell-shocked. He glanced up at her a little warily. "Do I have to decide now?"

SilmeriaElemred

''No. What is important now is that the magic will not control you. I will admit it is not easy. But at the least unlike me you have someone to help and a home. Fire is not your only concern but heat as well. If someone manages to get under your skin, a glare is all you need to burn someone. On a positive note. Not that I recommend visiting Connlaoth until the war is over... normal mordecai do not unfluence you. Only the knights of the white Lily are capable of blocking our magic. Only in our terms it means we lose our human form and need to rely on talons for defence until we distance ourselves from them.'' Not that she would think Malcolm would get near Connlaoth, but she figured that a warning was better then none.

''You can decide where to start with training. Either with how to keep your emotions in check, or how you can create, manipulate and control fire.''

DragonSong

He shook his head, feeling helpless. That was a lot of information to take in. "I just...I need to learn to control it," he admitted, forlorn. "I don't care how, but I can't let it get away from me again. I might- I might really hurt someone."

He frowned at the thought, sort of slouching in on himself.

SilmeriaElemred

''What did you feel when it got out of hand the other times. Or did something happen beforehand?'' Silmeria asked. ''Depending on what you answer we will focus on either emotion or the magic itself. Also. Please be less grim? You can do amazing things you know? Heal the most severe wounds. Cure people from poison. Heck you can even entertain.''

A smile formed on her face and a group of birds made of fire formed into mid air. Each bird moved individually. Their wings and direction. With another glance the birds became butterflies. Landing on the plants and flowers without burning them.

DragonSong

His eyes widened. "Whoa." A wondering sort of smile crossed his face as he got to his feet and cautiously moved closer to the fire-butterflies.

Pulling himself together, he straightened up and ran his hands through his hair. "It's usually... It just gets away from me, you know? I can start out with a simply spell, something like that-" he gestured to her little creations- "but it always ends up blowing up in my face. Literally." He shrugged, looking at her sidelong.

SilmeriaElemred

''Ok I am going to take a rough guess. You found a magic book somewhere once and thought 'Hey let's try out those spells'. If so then truth be told you are a bloody idiot so I hope I was actually wrong. Magic is alive. If you do not respect it then it backfires. Also, you do not need spells to make fire. Very amusing truth be told when being somewhere gagged and blindfolded and let the captors realise you could just walk off at any given time.''

She looked at the butterflies. ''Also those are no result from a spell. I make it so the fire is shaped that way and acts that way. When initiating magic with a spell does not give you control over that magic. You need to keep your mind with it. Most people who have the ability to cast magic say a spell, get exited when it works and things go wrong.''

She paused briefly. ''Spell number one from my book. It is nothing but a simple flame. Khalindra!'' She spoke the spell loud and clear with a wave of her hand creating a simple flame in the palm of her hand but it faded as soon as it was made. ''That is one of the things that happen if you do not keep your mind with what you create. Explosion one of the others.''

DragonSong

He glowered at her, a little miffed by the "bloody idiot" comment. "I was raised by a fairly accomplished mage," he pointed out wryly. "I know better than to try some any random spell I find. I know magic is alive. The problem with my magic is it seems to want to live beyond me. Once it's out I have no control."

He sighed, rubbing his temples. "Should I try that spell then. Khalin-" He stopped, worried he might inadvertently actually cast the spell. He waved his hand expressively.

SilmeriaElemred

''Are you always this uncertain with spells?'' Silmeria asked. ''It is alright. Cast it. I'm ready to intervene if something bad happens.'' she assured.

DragonSong

He nodded, took a breath, and closed his eyes. "Khalindra!" He tried to mimic her inflection.

A flame sparked to life in his hand and his eyes flew open. He started to smile, though he was also frowning a bit in concentration as he tried to keep his focus on making the flame last.

SilmeriaElemred

''Relax.'' Silmeria said calmly. ''You said it yourself too. Magic is alive. It feels when it's caster is frightened. When I feared my own magic, or the results of spells I knew it always went wrong. You are the caster. You are in control whilest respecting the magic at the same time. When you relax, you can allow the fire to 'breathe'. It will increase a little in size but it will burn more evenly.''

DragonSong

Mal nodded slowly and tried to do as she said, taking deep, meditative breaths and letting his shoulders relax. The flame seemed to respond, changing from a flicker to a steady burn.

"Huh." He looked up at her with a small smile. "Well look at that."

SilmeriaElemred

Silmeria clapped. ''Good.'' she said with a smile.

''My guesses is that inside you always feared a tad to much with a 'what if the spell goes wrong' kind of feeling. That thought channels itself as doubt. Or fear. Or both. You are in control. You will be glad to know too that neither you and me need spells to create fire. But I think starting with Khalindra was not a bad idea in this case. I do admit. Not that I am disappointed but I pictured my first meeting with another phoenix a lot different.''

DragonSong

"Yeah, me too," Mal quipped, arching an eyebrow. He rubbed his temples, closing his eyes with a sigh. "Gods, I didn't even know- I mean I had no idea, I thought I was just a terrible mage." He glanced at her. "How am I supposed to...do this? Be this, I guess."

SilmeriaElemred

''Be yourself. Nobody can say you do it wrong. Unless you are a homocidal maniac. Now since you got this... hop on. I want to show you something.'' Silmeria said with a sortof girlish giggle and turned into her natural feathered form.

'Not to worry... I promise it will be amazing.'

The last scentence was not spoken but more like as if the words entered Malcolm's mind directly in a none pressing manner.

DragonSong

he skittered back a step when she shifted forms. Ok, that'll take some getting used to. "You sure?" he asked as he approached cautiously.

Would he really be able to do that? Was that what he really looked like? Dozens of questions circled in his mind as he looked her over.

SilmeriaElemred

'Please do not pull out any feathers. It is highly unpleasant.' she pleaded before spreading her wings and flew off with Malcolm on her back. It was far from as fast as she could but she simply wanted to show him things from her perspective since he had not been able to do so thus far.

She brought him up higher, and higher until they were above a few small clouds. A red aura around them like a strange soap bubble keeping the temperature warm enough and the air good enough to breathe.

DragonSong

"Whoa!" Mal grabbed at her feathers, remembered her warning not to pull any out, and sort of leaned forward to wrap his arms around her neck and anchor himself.

Breathing a little panicky, he chanced a glance over her side. "Oh, wow..."

He used to have dreams about flying, but it was nothing compared to the real thing. With an incredulous laugh, he straightened up a bit, looking around with more confidence. "This- this is incredible."

SilmeriaElemred

'Good. If you would find it dull then you would be the first. The nice thing though about being a phoenix. We can fly higher then most dragons could even dream off.'

And she was certain to prove that by going higher and higher. The summer blue sky got darker and the air felt different but the aura was still active. Even so Silmeria did not yet stop. Not until the Earth was beneath them and there was darkness all around. Other then earth, there were planets too. And tons of stars and starclusters.

'We can fly in here. Of course not limitless but thus far I managed to visit a few planets other then our own. The duration of the aura of course depends on how much a person practises. It allows us to be able to breathe and not freeze to death. And of course when we reach the atmosphere, we are not harmed.'