Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Fire Rising [Archive]

Started by DragonSong, January 09, 2016, 09:16:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DragonSong

Mal was stunned. He opened his mouth, but he was literally struck dumb.

This was a lot to absorb all at once.

"Other...planets?" Nope. No no no he could not deal with this right now. "Oh gods. Um, can you take me back? Please." His voice was shaking a little and he cleared his throat, somehow trying to see everything around him and block it out all at the same time.

SilmeriaElemred

'Of course. Not to worry though I was not planning on taking you further then this. I just wanted you to see the world we live on.' she assured and started to fly back. 'Normally I would drop my phoenix form too on cloud level and just allow us to fall only for me to either morph back into this or cast a spell to make sure we would land safely but I think it is a bit to much for you despite it is amazing.'

There was a hint of a chuckle from her as she descended.

DragonSong

"Yeah, uh...maybe some other time," he squeaked out, clinging to her as they descended.

He knew he'd probably be having a very good time if his head wasn't crowded full of thoughts along the lines of Dear gods am I supposed to be able to do all this too?

SilmeriaElemred

'Just relax.' Silmeria adviced. 'I am not sure if other phoenixes taught themselves this. I did it with the solemn purpose in the hope my family would be on another planet. Also with the fire magic and whatever else I will teach you. Do know that no matter what, you are free to make use of it however you please. But I will ask of you not to go... rogue. Not that my slate is completely clean but... if something happens when I am gone and you need me, summon me. Do we have a deal?'

DragonSong

Mal nodded. "Yeah, deal." He had no interest in "going rogue" as she put it. All he wanted was to control his power so he wouldn't end up making a real mess of things someday.

Well, that and...he had to admit, flying seemed pretty cool.

SilmeriaElemred

''perfect.'' Silmeria replied and landed in spot Malcolm had burned several days prior.

''When you catch your breath, I want you to cast the firespell again I taught you. After that however. We will see if you can summon fire from within yourself without a spell.''

DragonSong

Mal nodded, sliding to the ground. "Yeah, yeah. Okay. Just...One minute."

He sort of staggered to the burnt husk of a tree, reaching out a hand to hold himself up while his mind desperately tried to work through everything that was happening.

SilmeriaElemred

After Malcolm was off her back, Silmeria turned into her human form. ''You know... despite these outbursts initially cause fear and damage... ashes are always covering life like a blanket. When the wind blows the ashes away or the soil takes them in, new life will have grown. Fire is not nessesarily destructive. But it takes time for someone to realise what it does on a longer term.''

DragonSong

Mal nodded slowly. "Yeah. Da- Adrian keeps trying to tell me that." He shrugged. It was difficult to see the good in fire when it seemed like he burned everything he touched.

Taking a breath, he held out his hand and murmured the spell again. This time the flame leaped easily to life, but he didn't feel quite as nervous about it getting out of hand. He let out the breath he'd been holding, letting the flame grow just a bit.

He smiled, just a little.

SilmeriaElemred

''Good progress.'' Silmeria assured with almost a motherly smile.

Sitting herself down on a charred log she watched Malcolm closely. ''If we are back at your father's place... I'd like to do a small ritual if that is alright with you. No strings attached whatever the result is but I would like to know if you are potentionally... bloodrelated to me. Over a millenia I've been looking for my family or those who share at the least the same traits as I have and you are the first. It would... mean a lot to me.''

DragonSong

Mal glanced up at her in surprise and the fire sputtered out. "Oh. Um, yeah. Sure, I don't mind." He rubbed the back of his neck awkwardly. "But I mean... You're over a thousand years old, and I'm- well, not. Are you sure you won't just end up...disappointed?"

Then again, he knew almost nothing about her kind- their kind. Perhaps it was possible for the egg Adrian had found to lie dormant for many years.

SilmeriaElemred

''I will not be disappointed.'' Silmeria assured. ''If you are a brother, nephew... or anything else bloodrelated with me, I'd be happy. But meeting you already... you have no idea how much that meant for me. I knew I was not the only phoenix alive but never meeting one... it made me feel lonely.''

DragonSong

"Well, uh..." He offered a small smile. "Let's head back then. Do this ritual of yours."

SilmeriaElemred

''And make sure your father is not so worried anymore.'' as the spontanious person she could be, she hooked her arm in Malcolm's and made her way back to Adrian's home with the young man. She wondered though what Malcolm would choose. Remaining in his human form or embracing his true inner self. Either way it was his choice and she would respect it

DragonSong

Mal started a bit when she hooked her arm through his, but he gave her a slightly awkward smile. "So, how do you know my dad? Adrian?" he asked as they walked.

SilmeriaElemred

The village he resended in back then had a serious bandit problem. I had visited the village in my human form and kicked the leader around a little after he demanded pay. The village was already poor and had nothing to give. So instead of money he wanted women. Let's just say I was not fond of a smelly bandit grabbing my wrist so a good kick and a flame to render him naked was something I found amusing. The bandits did not come back for a while and I had just left the village, turned into my natural form and was ready to leave until I heard a ruckus. The bandits were back. The whole clan to be exact. It being my fault I decided kicking them around as a human would not suffice this time so I descended between the villagers and the bandits. I had to kill a dozin or so until they got the message but I kindof had a sword thrown at me so was wounded. I flew off and turned into my human form to make sure the wound was not to serious. Not knowing Adrian had followed me. I promised to come when he needed my help if he kept my secret. He had not told anyone ever since. I've changed in the meantime though. I am less secretive about what I am now then I was back then.'' she explained.

''Although I am not someone who bluntly tells people I'm a phoenix.''

DragonSong

"Woah." He blinked. "He never mentioned anything like that." Then he frowned a bit. "Of course, he never bothered to tell me that I'm not human either," he mumbled.

SilmeriaElemred

''Surely for your own protection. Phoenixes are really good at hiding or just a rare existence. Our tears heal basicly anything. Our feathers are not an ugly sight either. Surely people would not mind accesories with them. A phoenix having settled somewhere could cause attention like bandits. Hunters. Maybe someone who wishes to make a contract. A piece of advise. Contracts only bring misery to you and you end up being exploited. Take that from someone who knows. I will explain how it works would you decide to walk the feathered path but... best is to keep that power to yourself.''

They reached the border of the village and soon Adrian's house. ''You first. I'm sure he was a bit worried.''

DragonSong

Mal let out a sharp breath at the newest influx of information, but he nodded reluctantly when she said he should go first.

A little hesitantly, he pushed the door open. "Uh...Da?"

Adrian, sitting in a chair and apparently staring off into nothing, started. He looked over to his foster son and got quickly to his feet. "Mal. You...ahem. That is, I-"

He offered a quick, small smile. "No, it's- it's fine. Sorry I um, took off like that."

The mage smiled, looking relieved, and reached out. It looked like he was going to pull the younger man into a hug, then he paused and instead gripped his shoulder, squeezing briefly before letting go.

"Silmeria," he said, turning to the door, "what do you think?"

SilmeriaElemred

''What I think huh?'' Silmeria said half in thought as she cloed the door. ''I think Malcolm should decide himself what he wants. At the least he has some control over fire which is good. If he wishes to learn more then just controlling it all he has to do is ask but I will not leave until he will no longer set anything ablaze without intention. In other words. I hope you have a spare bed or haybale. I do need shelter in case of rain. We keep the fact Malcolm is a phoenix only in this household. If anyone asks, a phoenix is helping him train fire magic. Nothing more. For now though I want to see if Malcolm and I are related in any way.''