Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

No Still Waters [DragonSong]

Started by Juno, January 27, 2016, 06:39:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Juno

Awiergan flinched slightly in memory, her eyes darkening a bit as she stared off at the water. "That happens sometimes. Monsters. Attacks. Haven't you ever seen them? Giant...kraken." She wasn't sure if he would know the word, but she assumed as a creature of the sea he would know what she was referring to.

DragonSong

Realization his him and his eyes went very round. "You mean those..." Luca shuddered. "I didn't even know they could get that close to the surface," he breathed in a mixture of awe and fear. "I've only ever...I thought they could only survive in deep caverns."

Though the only time he'd encountered such a creature it had been sleeping, so perhaps that was simply where they rested.

Juno

She shrugged, stepping closer to the rail to look down into the darkness of the water below. "They're not very fond of ships, I don't think. Probably get the most problems in deeper water, though. Maybe there's some...noise or something they don't like." She shrugged, it was all purely speculation but at least it seemed he knew what she was talking about.

"Scary things, though. I'm sure there are lots of nasty creatures out there," she shuddered, glancing to him with sympathy. At least she didn't have to live among them.

DragonSong

"There are some," he murmured, shifting so he was leaning on the rail beside her. "But...there are some truly beautiful things too." He smiled a little wistfully. "My kinda are lucky, we can experience both worlds. I've never understood why more of my people don't take advantage of that gift."

Juno

"Well why don't they? Are they afraid? Or is it just...odd?" she wondered, frowning slightly. If they were as free to do so as he seemed she wasn't sure why they would not want to take advantage of such a thing. She assumed it was difficult to maintain two "lives" like that, though. A home on land and at sea likely meant little time was spent in either.

DragonSong

"I think most of them are afraid," he mused. "Though I suppose they have a reason. There are humans who would capture our kind for...a variety of rather unsavory purposes." Luca frowned a bit. He didn't entirely understand the human art of alchemy, but he'd hear that merfolk's scales and tears and such could be used in it.

And then of course, there were those with unique tastes, people who thought having a mermaid or a merman as a concubine would fascinating and exotic.

Juno

"Ah. I think I understand." She pushed off the rail to straighten up. There was just as much risk in being human, she thought, but it wasn't an idea she particularly enjoyed dwelling upon.

"And why are you not afraid, Luca? Or are you anyway?" she asked, turning to look at him again. It was a little silly for such a tall man to be standing there wearing almost nothing as they talked, but she supposed if it didn't make him uncomfortable she was fine with him remaining in such a way.

DragonSong

"I...suppose I am," he said slowly, considering it. "It's just- it seems silly to let fear keep me from discovery." He shrugged, giving her a small smile.

Juno

Well at least it seemed like he was being honest. "Smart man," she praised passively.

"It's probably pretty easy to hide what you are, though, right? I mean, just cover the..." she trailed off, gesturing to her own ears. "Fins."

DragonSong

"Oh?" He reached up to touch his ears, then smiled sheepishly. "Yeah, I suppose they do stand out." He pulled his hair forward to cover them, then tilted his head at her. "Better?"

Juno

Awiergan furrowed her brow as she studied him, stepping closer to rearrange his hair a bit better. She ran a hand against it and, scrutinizing her work. Satisfied nothing was poking through she stepped back to look him over again. "Like that, yeah. People just... wouldn't expect to see something like that," she explained with a shrug. "If they didn't know. Surprising people isn't always a good thing."

DragonSong

A little startled by here sudden proximity, Luca nodded wordlessly. "Ah, thank you," he mumbled when she stepped back. He cracked a small smile. "Yes. I learned that human can react quite explosively when surprised my first visit on land." He frowned a bit, remembering. "I believe a female actually fainted." He shrugged, grinning sheepishly. "Oh well. I learned to wear clothes from that, at least."

Juno

She barked in laughter at the image, although she pitied him a bit that his first encounter with humans had been with the more delicate and sensitive of her kind. "I'd believe that," she chuckled darkly.

"Are you...going to ride this all the way in, then? Or going back down?" She pointed over the rail at the water lapping at the hull.

DragonSong

"Oh. Um..." He hadn't actually thought about that. "Am I allowed to ride with you?" he asked curiously, tilting his head.

Juno

She smirked for the way he tilted his head, thinking he looked quite the part of a puppy. "I don't see why not if you want to stay." It wasn't her ship, but what would one more passenger cost them really if they already had her along?

DragonSong

He beamed. "Then I'd very much appreciate it. Thank you." Glancing around the ship again, he said, "We'll be docking tomorrow then? Isn't that what you said?"

Juno

"Tomorrow, yeah," she answered distractedly, turning her attention back to the food she'd left out and open. She crossed to "fix" it all as best as she could and restack everything she'd left disturbed. She didn't need to get chewed out for that in addition to letting him stay.

Kicking apples away from the rest to get rid of the evidence she at last turned toward the stairs that would lead down below and paused to look at him. "Do merfolk sleep?"

DragonSong

Luca watched with interested as she sorted things out, then moved to follow her, not really sure what else to do. "Hm? Oh, yes. Of course we do," he chuckled quietly.

Juno

"You never know. There are strange creatures out there." Awiergan took a few steps down before looking back at him. "I guess...come with me? Probably somewhere here you can sleep." Well, she would assume so at least. Most men didn't want to bother bunking near her so she was sure there would at least be one cot free for the merman to sleep on.

DragonSong

"Alright." He followed after her easily, looking around the stairwell that led below decks with open curiosity. "Very kind of you, thanks," he offered, a little belatedly.