Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

No Still Waters [DragonSong]

Started by Juno, January 27, 2016, 06:39:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Juno

She shrugged. It wasn't her place to offer, but she didn't really care. "Nothing to thank me for."

Stepping carefully through the darkness she kept a hand to the wall to guide her as she followed it down to the room she'd chosen as her "home" aboard the ship. She carefully lit a lantern to hold up in the darkness. Once she determined there was nobody else staying in the room she gestured at the cot across from her own before sitting down and setting the lantern on the floor.

Having little need for propriety in front of someone that wasn't even human she wasted no time in getting out of her coat, unstrapping her knives, and kicking off her boots to set them aside. She stripped down to a basic shift and let down her hair from the confines of its braid as if she did such a thing every day with no privacy at all. "They shouldn't bother you if you're with me, I don't even work here, so-"

The piratess shrugged before flopping over to lay on her side. "Safe to sleep."

DragonSong

Luca sort of wanted to stop and examine the "innards" of the ship, but he didn't want to inconvenience his host anymore than he had, so he simply followed her to the room.

Settling himself onto the cot, he gave her another nod and a smile. "Thank you." He cast a quick glance around. "A little cramped in here, isn't it?" he commented nonchalantly.

Juno

She gestured at what space was between them. "The bigger the ship the more expensive to build and maintain," she explained with a soft yawn. "This is pretty normal for 'living' space." At the back of her mind she wondered if he might keep her up all night with more questions instead.

"Blow that out when you're...done being awake," she murmured, flopping a hand in the general direction of the lantern on the floor.

DragonSong

He may be pretty naive, but he could take a hint. Usually. Smiling a bit, Luca realized she was tired and probably wouldn't want to keep answering his questions.

"Yes. Alright." He leaned toward the lantern, spared a moment to be fascinated by the fire as he always was, and blew it out.

The darkness wasn't complete to him, his eyes were accustomed to it and he managed to navigate to the cot and lay down without trouble. "Do humans say or do something special before they sleep together?" he asked quietly, making a mental promise that it would be the last question of the evening.

Juno

Even without the light she remained alert and waiting, certain he would speak again at some point. When he did she could only laugh at his poor wording. "This isn't exactly sleeping together," she explained gently, much as she struggled to keep from snickering any more.

"We say... 'good night' when we are near others. Um, companions." She supposed that was accurate enough if he was going to be tailing her. "Good night," she bid him in a softer, sleepier tone.

DragonSong

This wasn't sleeping together? It seemed like it to him. Shrugging the thought away, he settled into the cot and replied, "Good night, then," letting his eyes drift closed.

Juno

Awiergan slept easily enough, the rocking of the ship upon the water a welcome sensation to coax her into a land of dreams. The sounds of the waking crew in the rooms around them weren't quite enough to rouse her come morning. She was used to sleeping through a lot and there was little she might be needed for until they docked. Well, if she even felt like helping them at all. She did have a merman to teach now and that was probably going to be a more profitable use of her time.

She was grumpy as anything upon waking, though. The small, cramped cot left her with quite a sore neck and she nearly fell over trying to get up and stretch with the way the ship tossed about in the surf. Her sea legs hadn't quite caught up with her yet.

DragonSong

Luca woke quickly and easily, and once he did he was awake. Not wanting to bother Aweirgan, he waited until she began to stir and finally climb out of her cot before he jumped from his own.

"Morning," he practically chirped, flashing a smile. His apple-sack-kilt had gone slightly askew in the night, but he didn't seem to notice.

Juno

She startled slightly for the sudden, perky voice in her face and rubbed at her eyes in an effort to clear the fog of sleep. "So you know that one," she observed, looking him up and down by what little light seeped into the room from the cracks between the boards above.

"Morning," she finally greeted, turning her back to him to dress again. For a brief moment she thought of handing him one of her knives but thought better of it. There was no reason to partially disarm herself when he was more likely to hurt himself with it than act in any sort of self defense.

"Ready for land?" she asked conversationally, peeking at him over her shoulder as she twisted her hair together with sleepy hands.

DragonSong

He nodded happily. "For the next two days at least, yes." Shouldering his pack, he watched with interest as she braided her hair. "I've seen humans do that before," he noted. "Why is that? Don't you like letting your hair down?"

He couldn't actually recall having ever bothered to do something to tame his own hair. There was really no point underwater.

Juno

"Sometimes," she shrugged. "It just gets hot and in the way most of the time, though." The piratess eyed him curiously, wondering what it was that seemed so off about him. Once she was done she reached to gingerly adjust his makeshift kilt with a grimace.

"Need to keep wearing that," she reminded him. "Properly. Can probably find you something to wear on land unless..."

Awiergan hurried to the door to poke her head out to peer down the hall. Nobody was there, everyone else seemed to be on deck already. It would be easier to blend in if he were clothed anyhow.

"Stay here," she told him quietly before slipping out and rummage through a few other rooms nearby for any spare clothing. He was taller than most but lean enough that he'd likely be able to wear something even if a bit awkwardly.

Returning with a few articles of clothing she tossed them to his cot and turned her back to him. "Try those on, would you?"

DragonSong

Luca waited patiently, if curiously, and glanced at the clothes with interest when she returned. Shrugging, he agreed easily, "Alright then," and set about attempting to dress himself.

The pants were easy. He'd had practice with those. The shirt was another matter. He knew how it should go on, logically, but somehow...

"Um..." He coughed awkwardly, shuffling his feet. He really wasn't sure how he'd managed it, but his arms seemed to be in the wrong sleeves, trapped crossed over his chest. And he couldn't seem to get them out. "I don't suppose-" He coughed again, for the first time actually feeling a bit embarrassed about one of his blunders. "Could- could you help me with this?"

Juno

Waiting and listening patiently to the shuffling she could hear Awiergan was a little surprised when he asked for her help. "Why? Did you-" She spun quickly and tried not to laugh at his misfortune of tangled clothing.

"Oh my," she sighed, snickering lightly as she approached him and carefully lifted the shirt up to free him without tearing it. "I suppose I shouldn't ask how you managed that," she teased, turning the garment around before holding it out to him the correct way. "Try that."

DragonSong

Oh. Yes, this was much easier. Giving her a sheepish grin, he tugged the hem of the shirt to make sure it was on properly. "Thanks," he mumbled, cheeks warm.

Juno

"Shirts are difficult, fish man," she teased, reaching up to adjust his hair so it covered his ear-fins again.

"You look ready, I think you'll be fine without shoes. Are there any...limitations I should know about? Any special merfolk requirements?"

DragonSong

Requirements?

"Well, I have to be back in the water by the time the moon sets tomorrow night," Luca replied, tilting his head as he considered it. "I can't think of anything else- but if I do I'll let you know."

Juno

Well that was easy enough. She didn't plan on dragging him across the country just for a bit of exploring anyway. "I wasn't sure if you needed anything weird. Bucket of seawater or something," she mumbled thoughtfully before shrugging. If it wasn't something important enough for him to mention she wouldn't worry herself with it.

She grabbed the rest of her belongings before heading out but paused in the hall. "Any questions this morning before we get out there? They'll...look at you funny if I'm explaining certain things I think."

DragonSong

"Oh. Um..." Normally he was brimming with questions, but now that he was under pressure to ask he couldn't think of anything. "No...no, nothing I can think of at the moment." He gave her a quick smile. "Lead the way."

Juno

She almost asked again to double check, but he was a grown man, even though he didn't exactly seem like one, and she thought it would be best to just trust that he spoke the truth.

Leading him back up on deck she was thankful that they didn't get too many odd looks. She pointed out the way the sails were being adjusted as they angled toward the shore. Sitting up on the railing she gestured to the buildings of the town in the distance. "Almost there. How did you like sleeping on a boat? A little different, isn't it?"

DragonSong

"Hm? Oh, yes." He'd been distracted by the activity on deck. "I actually found it more pleasant than sleeping on land, I think. The rocking motions were quite soothing." Almost like the drift of sleeping in currents, though not quite.