Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

No Still Waters [DragonSong]

Started by Juno, January 27, 2016, 06:39:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Juno

"Ahh. That's really just too bad, isn't it?" she sighed, though her mind kept spinning and wondering. It was probably for the best. For all she knew he was one of those awful sirens in disguise and he was out to lure her out to drown with all his talk of his collection. Yet, she still couldn't put it from her mind.

"Perhaps you could show me a few things instead?" she suggested, gesturing out towards the land only barely beyond the horizon. "We should make port tomorrow if the weather stays calm."

DragonSong

Expression clearing, Luca nodded happily. "I can do that," he agreed easily. Then his brow furrowed slightly and he added with a soft chuckle, "Though if we're on land, I have a feeling you'l be the one doing most of the showing."

Juno

She only barely stifled a snort at the ridiculousness. He must have been truly oblivious and clueless if he'd managed to gather a bunch of odds and ends but hadn't taken the time to truly learn much of anything.

"What could I possibly show you that you haven't seen before?" Awiergan shook her head in disbelief but knew she would probably oblige him if it meant she got her own peeks at his collection. Perhaps she could show him the odd trick, though. The merman hadn't even known how to rub two coins together before he'd met her after all.

DragonSong

"Anything!" he exclaimed, gesturing widely with an arm. "Everything up here is so fascinating. I'd be happy to learn anything you might be willing to teach."

His eyes flitted over the deck, easily distracted, and he asked offhandedly, "It this your boat?" She seemed very comfortable on it, and she'd been able to show him where and what the cargo was.

Juno

"What? Oh, no. No, no, I just worked here today," she explained, gesturing out towards land again. "For passage."

She had no idea what she could teach really or how to even teach him, though. Would he understand her words for things? "I'm not going to spend a bunch of time teaching you out of the goodness of my heart, you know. You have some way to pay for lessons?" Perhaps she was asking a dangerous question considering she wanted to know what the merman's most treasured possessions consisted of.

DragonSong

Luca tilted his head. "I have the...money you gave me," he said slowly. "Is that what you mean? If so, there's a lot more in my home. Could I pay you with that?"

Juno

It was just too easy, wasn't it? Surely there had to be a catch.

"Depends on how much, but I think I could accept that, yes. How much do you think you have?" It was difficult, so difficult to hide the greed from her eyes. She stared at the oblivious merman with an open hunger now, curious about what he could offer her.

DragonSong

"That's...hard to say," Luca mused. He frowned a bit at the change in her expression, then shrugged it off. "I don't know exact numbers." He trailed off, thinking for a moment, then said slowly, "Maybe..." His eyes lit on one of the barrels and he pointed to it. "A few of those worth?"

Juno

"Mmm," she hummed, working hard to keep her expression neutral to that news despite how it excited something in her belly.

"And where did you get it all? Didn't steal it, did you?"

DragonSong

He thought back to what he'd observed her doing the night before and shook his head. "No. I find it. Sometimes in big piles, sometimes a few coins at a time. Lots of sunken wrecks have them scattered all over the place."

Luca eyed her curiously. He seemed to have piqued her interest, somehow.

Juno

"Ah. That must look quite pretty," she purred, gesturing down at her feet. "Being underwater and all." Awiergan was certain it would look even better on land and dry and put to good use. Where was a bit of an unknown, though. She couldn't exactly draw attention to herself in a little seaside town with barrels of coin without consequence.

"And you have nothing in particular you want to learn? Just everything?" she chuckled.

DragonSong

"It is," Luca agreed, nodding and smiling, completely oblivious. Then his eyes positively lit up and he nodded even more vigorously. "Yes. Everything."

Juno

"Well, why don't you tell me what you do already know? Surely not everything would be new to you, right? You said you've been among people before." She picked up one of the apples on the deck and rubbed it clean of salt and sand on her shirt before taking a bite.

DragonSong

He shrugged. "Oh, well yes. I mean, I'm not a complete infant," he chuckled, realizing how he'd been coming across. "I suppose I meant...well, I seem to have a decent grasps of the basics of your world. It just want to know more." He gave her a sheepish sort of smile. "It's kinda hard to explain without an example in front of me, you know?"

Juno

"Well," she began thoughtfully, lifting her head to look around them at what she could see by the moonlight. "What about those?" she asked, pointing up towards the sails. "Do you know what those are?" He'd known what a boat was, it wasn't a far-fetched guess that he might know all the rigging as well.

DragonSong

"Sails," Luca replied, nodding. Then he gave her a questioning look. "Er, I think. Right?" He gestured to the ropes and rigging. "I know these somehow connect and control them, but I'm not sure how." Rubbing the back of his neck, he felt his cheeks grow a little warm.

"This is what I mean. I sorta...I know basics. But just basics. It's quite frustrating." He huffed a bit.

Juno

"Yes, sails. And there's just rope, mostly," she supplied, setting her hand to a section that was wrapped around the mast. She smiled slightly, not feeling guilty in the least that she found his struggling a little endearing. At least he was trying. "Just helps to hang them in different ways. Depending on weather and all... You've seen storms, right?"

DragonSong

He nodded again, though for the first time without much enthusiasm. "Yes. They are dangerous to our kind if we're not careful." His lips twitched up on one side. "I can't help myself from watching as close to the surface as I can though."

He'd almost been beached in a storm once because of his own curiosity. Looking around, he frowned a bit. "This ship is big, but...storms are bigger. How does this hold up against the waves and wind?" For he assumed it must, in order for it to be a viable form of transportation.

Juno

"It just does. Floats pretty well. Bad storms can sink a ship, though," she explained, frowning a bit herself as she gestured out at the water. "And that's how you get your wrecks down below. If the weather is too bad it can just completely turn one of these over. Then it doesn't float so well."

DragonSong

His eyes widened a bit. "I've never seen one capsized," he murmured. That would certainly be interesting. Shaking his head, he added, "I know storms sometimes sink them, I guess I'm just surprised it doesn't happen more often. Most of the wrecks I find have this big holes in the side, one was even cracked in half!"

He looked at her with wide eyes. "Do you know how that happens?"