Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

The Howl of the Wolf, the Howl of the Wind (open)

Started by KingTyrant, February 10, 2016, 04:47:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arclightning

Kaven felt rage flare even hotter in his chest at the litches taunting. This undead scum-licker dared taunt him? His greatest friends, men he had known since he first joined the army had fallen, killed by this litches foul magic. Only Kaven and his best friend, Tuldar had survived, and even him without an arm. As these memories flashed through his head he noticed the litches arms, and the scars and burns on them. Then he remembered. The litch had a weakness, and it was hard to exploit then, anop probably even harder now. He turned to Healin and said
"Get Leon up or at least get me his sword! Its the only way we can beat the litch!" Then he turned to the litch and said "You could have killed me, but instead you kill my entire goddamn squad and cut me open. Now you DARE to mock them! Im going to finish what I started long ago!" His speech turned into a mindless battle cry as he charged the litch. He swung his sword in a deadly arc, and when the litch tried to parry he sheared right through the brittle bone sword, straight into the litch. But suddenly, it wasn't there. It was ten feet to Kavens left with a new sword, and a cut deep into its chest. Its skeletal face pulled back into a smile, but didnt say a word. They had both said their piece, and the time for words had passed. The litched stepped, and moved ten feet in an instant, and Kaven barely managed to parry and return a counter attack. The litched moved, adn swords clashed. Over and over, the litch attacked, Kaven blocked and returned a blow. Kaven was just stalling however, waiting for leon to get up, for already he felt himself tiring, and his end drawing near.

JackieCat

As the litch dodged Healin's magic, they looked over to where Leon lay, the beautiful sword near him.  Healin didn't want to take it from him, leaving him defenseless, but he was still out cold, apparently, and they needed the ancient sword.

When Kaven had told them to get it, they had immediately understood, so now Healin grabbed the sword.  Kaven was distracting the litch, but he was tiring.

Healin ran, silent, towards the litch, the undead monster's back to them, and despite the size of the sword in comparison to the mage, they swung it with expert precision at the litch's neck.
My Open Threads!
None currently, but if you want to thread, don't hesitate to PM me!

My Characters!
Kirl Moonharber---Lorin--- The Feari --- Akhe---Kilarhas---Naarilash---Kinn---Jiminie---Faelis---Karishk---Cirick---Sieera---Kornos--- Ariznim--- Dergan---Meerior---Zier'ik'shalsalimigarizdeniime---Keyne---Seridin---Elliot---Healin---Warn Danish---Revvil---Kashka---Ishka---Nox---Skiffiles---Jlyyth---
Flordia
---Larcan---Kannae---Anton

For summaries of my characters, JackieCat's Characters!

Some people live more in twenty years than others do in eighty.  It's not the time that matters, it's the person.
~The Doctor

KingTyrant

As their blades clashed together over and over, the litch's agression growing over time with each swing of the bone sword, he finally had Kaven backed up to the edge in no time, almost paying no mind to the cut in his chest. "You believe yourself to be some kind of hero, don't you!? A veteran of sorts! The man I once met on that fateful day is gone, however! You are no hero! You are a drunk! An unworthy bearer to the sword you wield! Unworthy of the air you breathe!!!" The words were shouted with pure malice as the litch twisted his sword around in a half-circle, quickly disarming Kaven before grasping around his throat and lifting him into the air.

"And now... I will take that breath straight from your worthless lungs... And use your own life to fuel the body you see before you. One worthy to bear a sword! One bustling with power and might!" He hissed, turning just in time to parry Healin and send the sword flying from their hands, right back to Leon's position, where it stabbed into the earth. He grasped Healin's throat as well, beginning to sap their strength just as Leon slowly woke from his unconscious state. Seeing the sight in front of him, the mercenary quickly cleared the cobwebs and looked around for the sword gifted to him by the priest in the village. Seeing it off to the side, he stood, yanking it from the earth and glaring right at the litch.

Once the undead monster finally realized that Leon was awake, it was too late. Leon sprinted straight at the litch, who dropped Kaven and Healin and immediately reached for his own blade in hopes of blocking Leon's attack. The wendigo was now awake as well, running at Leon with scythes at the ready in hopes of saving her master. Alas, the majestic blade went straight through the litch's abdomen, prompting a pained gasp from him. He looked down at the steel puncturing his skin in disbelief, black, vile blood oozing from the wound. Leon looked from the wound to the litch's eyes, An angry scowl on the lycan's face. "To Hell with you, monster..." Twisting the steel in the litch's wound, multiple groans of agony escaped his lips, Leon guiding him to the ledge and slowly letting him fall off.

The body smacked against either wall of rock on the way down, the loud crunches becoming softer and softer as bones broke against the hard stone. As soon as the litchwas out of sight, obscured by the fog, a loud thud was audible as it hit the ground. Panting, Leon looked back at the wendigo, which had frozen in place. Eyes wide, it fell onto its knees, then onto its front after the death of its creator. Leon looked on in confusion as the two heads, two sets of wings, deer legs, and vicious claws became ignited with a strange, red fire, burning away into ember and ash and blowing away in a sudden gust of air. What remained was a young girl with a full head of long, auburn hair, her skin deathly pale, reletively nothing covering her body except thin strips of cloth. Leon, eyes wide, slowly bent down to check on his comrades while keeping an eye on the girl the entire time.

Arclightning

Kaven knelt on the ground, trying to regain his breath and blink away the black spots in his eyes. He looked up and saw Leon, holding the beautiful sword, and simply said
"Kid, you did it. Good job." then stood up, walked over to the chasm and spat into it. Then sat down and massaged the bruises developing on his neck.

KingTyrant

Leon rolled his eyes. After all this time, the old man was still calling him, 'kid.' He at least thought him saving the old man would boost his rank slightly. If not that, then maybe it would at least tempt him to start calling him by his name. Shaking his head, he kneeled close to Healin, helping them up and checking on them to make sure they were ok. It had been quite the long journey... Leon hated having friends of any nature, but unlike most, these two didn't seem to care much about his wolf-like nature, but rather, they embraced it. And even though he didn't like admitting it, Kaven really helped shape his character and fighting skills for the better.

Walking over to the girl, who he could only assume was the same girl that was forced to devour her own sister, he picked her up slowly. Blinking up at him, her body shaking like a leaf, she spoke her first words in many years. "Where... Am I?" Leon couldn't help but chuckle. "A rotting cave in the Draconi forest. Now let's get you out and back to your old man, shall we?" He asked. Her expression lit up, a smile crossing her face. "Papa... He's alive!?" He gave a nod. "Yes... And he misses you dearly."

She frowned, looking away in realization of her past sins. "My sister... I... I'm a monster..." She whimpered. Leon shook his head. "You were tricked and manipulated by a monster. Now, enough tears. I think it's time we celebrated, yeah? A big feast in your village. Word out to the rest of Adela that the litch of the labyrinth is no more. End the poverty in that miserable little hovel." He said, mostly to Healin and Kaven, who he smiled at for probably the first time. Letting the girl down, he looked for the exit of the cave, hoping that they'd be able to make their way out without issue.

As Leon and the girl, who took the lead, finally exited the cave, making their way through the wall of falling water, dawn had arrived. They were in there an entire day? Surely the village had lost hope by now... Well, a very nice surprise would be awaiting them. Leon gave a nod to her, trekking through the water until they reached the shore and cutting through the treeline to the village. As Leon and her approached the church, the priest was on the front porch, tilting a bottle of mead against his lips as he spotted them. Dropping the bottle with a stunned expression, he jumped up excitedly at the sight of his daughter, all grown up and no longer a foul wendigo. "My little girl... Thank the gods... Why did you leave!?" The priest's words were filled with both love and anger. But mostly love.

As the rest of the village came out of their homes and the inn at the sound of the commotion, they all ran over, spotting the familiar face of the priest's little girl. A huge celebration took place that day, until the early afternoon, people dancing, drinking, eating, and singing at the heroes' victory. Leon, Kaven, and Healin were all given their own special seats, watching the event happen as they were showered with gifts and praise from nearly every man, woman, and child in the village. After all, with the litch gone, the energy and life wouldn't be sapped from the populace anymore. Whenever the local baron brought his men through the streets, they would no longer have to worry about death's ugly hand residing over the village's people. It was a golden age for everyone, indeed.

"Ladies and gentlemen, listen up!" The innkeeper shouted over the commotion, standing atop the long dining table as everyone quieted down. "Today, these three have freed us from the illness, weakness, and fear that Alisha of the Falls has brought to us all! That the apparent litch hiding right under our noses has brought to us all! Today, we witness a growth of our crops! A rebuilding of the foundations that made our village great! The foul presence of evil has been snuffed by the howl of the wolf today, and much like the howl of the wolf, the howl of the wind of victory will snuff out our dark days, leaving them to rot in the past where they belong!" He raised his tankard of mead up high, some of the beverage spilling out as the others cheered at his words. "A toast, to our heroes!"

As the festivities ended, Leon handing the magnificent sword back to its rightful owner, he took his sword and shield back from Kaven and got ready to head back to his home in the Thunderblacks. Turning to the two, he put his hands on their shoulders. "In the time I've known you both... I've grown as a person. Both in character, and strength. I could have never vanquished either beast without you. And this village would still be suffering if it wasn't for you two. Thank you, from the bottom of my heart." The words he spoke were very unlike Leon. But he believed every bit of what he had said.

Turning to Kaven, he pulled something out of his rooksack. A bottle of wine, brewed by the dwarves. "The dwarves make a Hell of a wine, old man. And I know how you love your wine." He smiled. Turning to Healin, he pulled out a magical effigy, crafted from wyvern bones. "Something to suit a mage. I have no clue what it does, but I suppose you could figure it out." Beginning to walk away, he could hear the voice of the innkeeper not far off, calling his name. "Your... Your reward, sir! You nearly forgot!" In his hands rested a bag of coins. Quite heavy, from the looks of it. Leon thought to himself for a long time. Did he really need coin? After the adventure he had, with so much growth and just the feeling of being able to reunite a family and save a village from its own damnation... A reward such as this just felt unwanted.

Even though it hurt his heart to amount all of his hard work to nothing, Leon looked the man dead in the eyes and shook his head. "... Keep it." He said, his expression unreadable. And with that, he was off.

JackieCat

Healin was not really one for festivities, but they sat through them, the people apparently needed this hope, and it wouldn't be good for them if one of their newly announced 'heroes' just disappeared.

They were glad to have been able to reunite the little girl with her father, and to have rid the town of the litch's curse, after all, it was sort of their job to do this sort of thing, though they never really limited themselves to any particular occupation.

As the celebration was ending, Leon approached them, and his words were not usual for the man.  And while they were not completely expected, Healin could tell they were heartfelt, and they nodded.  "It was a great pleasure to work with both of you," they nodded to both Leon and Kaven.  I thank you as well."

When Leon gave Healin the magical item, they inclined their head in thanks. "I think I may know what it is, and I thank you again."

Then Leon began to leave, and Healin saw him refuse the money that the innkeeper offered, and while one could not see it, a smile graced Healin's face.  Thoguh it was concealed by their scarf, the sparkle in their eyes showed the satisfaction at seeing Leon finding that the reward of saving these people was reward enough.

My Open Threads!
None currently, but if you want to thread, don't hesitate to PM me!

My Characters!
Kirl Moonharber---Lorin--- The Feari --- Akhe---Kilarhas---Naarilash---Kinn---Jiminie---Faelis---Karishk---Cirick---Sieera---Kornos--- Ariznim--- Dergan---Meerior---Zier'ik'shalsalimigarizdeniime---Keyne---Seridin---Elliot---Healin---Warn Danish---Revvil---Kashka---Ishka---Nox---Skiffiles---Jlyyth---
Flordia
---Larcan---Kannae---Anton

For summaries of my characters, JackieCat's Characters!

Some people live more in twenty years than others do in eighty.  It's not the time that matters, it's the person.
~The Doctor

Arclightning

Kaven had the best day of his life that evening. After an hour he had beaten everyone in the village at drinking games, except of course the blacksmith, who was a six foot tall mass of muscle who probably had been drinking since he was six.

After two hours Kaven decided it was a good idea two wrestle him. The end result was a bunch of farmers dying of laughter and a concussion for Kaven. Then the vomiting began.

Kaven tried to walk into a nearby alley, but stumbled and threw up on somebody's doorstep instead. Then the cycle of chugging alcohol and unpleasantly removing it from his stomach lasted until the speeches.

Kaven missed most of what the innkeeper had to say as he was under a table, gagging his guts out. But when Leon approached him he sobered immediately. He tried to stand up with dignity, but instead he stumbled dizzily to his feet.

After Leon finished saying his piece, Kaven simply said slowly and precisely
"Well Leon. You have become someone to be proud of. You will go far, and I cant wait to see it happen." Then he smiled and turned to Healin. "I honestly dont know anything about you or who you are, so I will just wish you luck comrade."

When Leon gave Kaven the wine he smiled and said " I got a gift for you too." Then he reached under the table and pulled out the dragonsteel longsword. "You are the only one here that can use the damn thing. It deserves better than gathering dust in a church." Kaven was about to take a swig of the wine but suddenly said "Oh! I almost forgot! That sword needs a name, and its up to you what it is." Then he took a drink.