Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

The Howl of the Wolf, the Howl of the Wind (open)

Started by KingTyrant, February 10, 2016, 04:47:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arclightning

When will they learn? Kaven thought. Probably never, these little losers think they are so scary. Men like these are the reason Kaven is so cynical. But as his anger dimmed suddenly, he realized that he had been like the man in the armor, long ago. In a time almost forgotten, when his beard hadn't been mostly grey, and when he was a proud leader of men. Maybe this arrogant sod could turn out better than he did. He turned and stomped on the rapidly growing fire for a few seconds, reducing it to naught more than embers. He then sat down on his log.
"You know, you are both arrogant sods. You are both young, and hotheaded. But if I could end up somewhat okay in the end, maybe you could too." He looked at the clearly angry figure in the cloak. "You're almost there. You are just missing something." He looked closer into the depths inside its hood.  When he looked back at the other man his mood soured a bit. "You however, you will take some work. Too much anger, your closer to a beast than a man." It was easy to see, in the way he was territorial about his camp, and how he got very angry very fast. "Go find a nice girl, settle down. Hang up your sword." Kaven looked at his ax. "They do things to you."
He stood up. "But my most important piece of advice is don't piss off old army men. They might be your grandpa." Then he turned and left.

JackieCat

Haelin stepped back when the older man seemed to calm down.

"You have no idea how old I am," Healin said, going back to where they were previously sitting and sitting down again. "I could be a thousand or ten thousand, twenty or ageless."

They narrowed their eyes. "I am sorry for my outburst, I am, as I said, having a very trying day, I am not usually so exuberant."
My Open Threads!
None currently, but if you want to thread, don't hesitate to PM me!

My Characters!
Kirl Moonharber---Lorin--- The Feari --- Akhe---Kilarhas---Naarilash---Kinn---Jiminie---Faelis---Karishk---Cirick---Sieera---Kornos--- Ariznim--- Dergan---Meerior---Zier'ik'shalsalimigarizdeniime---Keyne---Seridin---Elliot---Healin---Warn Danish---Revvil---Kashka---Ishka---Nox---Skiffiles---Jlyyth---
Flordia
---Larcan---Kannae---Anton

For summaries of my characters, JackieCat's Characters!

Some people live more in twenty years than others do in eighty.  It's not the time that matters, it's the person.
~The Doctor

Arclightning

Kaven stopped. He turned around and looked at the figure.
"Would an ageless creature lose suck control over its emotions?" He smiled. "No, but I accept your apology. But I realize now that I never got either of your names?"

JackieCat

"Perhaps even a very wise ageless creature would lose control if they'd had a day such as mine," Healin said calmly.  "And I have met many an ancient elf that would lose control over smaller things.  Ageless does not always mean wise.

"I am called Healin," they said. "Who are you?"
My Open Threads!

My Characters!
Kirl Moonharber---Lorin--- The Feari --- Akhe---Kilarhas---Naarilash---Kinn---Jiminie---Faelis---Karishk---Cirick---Sieera---Kornos--- Ariznim--- Dergan---Meerior---Zier'ik'shalsalimigarizdeniime---Keyne---Seridin---Elliot---Healin---Warn Danish---Revvil---Kashka---Ishka---Nox---Skiffiles---Jlyyth---
Flordia

Some people live more in twenty years than others do in eighty.  It's not the time that matters, it's the person.
~The Doctor

Arclightning

"My name is Kaven. You keep talking about your day. What happened that would make an ageless creature so agitated?" He cocked an eyebrow.

KingTyrant

Leon said nothing, just stared at the fire. He stood after a while. "End up like you?" He snarled, taking a few steps forward. "End up like you? A drunk who barges into strangers' camps uninvitedly, just to start trouble?" He asked, obviously pissed off. He stomped on the fire, the entire camp darkening. He shoved past them, hands balled up into fists.

He couldn't believe it. This man, the guy who jumped into his camp uninvitedly and had gone out of his way to make himself an enemy to everyone there, was trying to tell him what to do with his life. "I'm no idiot. I take advice from men who aren't complete wastes of oxygen." He hissed, turning back to Kaven.

"I've killed many thugs. I've butchered soldiers, knights, bandits... Men of all types. Elves, dwarves, goblins, draconians. I've seen the worst this life has to offer. I've been cursed since birth and can only get by through killing for profit. You... You took whatever honor you had and washed it all away with whisky and ale. I, however. I'm still alive. I'm still fighting. I still have something to offer. Men like you deserve no respect. Not from me, not from anyone. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going for a walk. Hopefully you'll be gone by the time I return." And with this, he began to walk off.

He paused. "... And my name is Leon Woods." He murmured, before starting off again.

JackieCat

As Leon walked off, Healin looked back to the older man.

"My day?"  Healin said, shaking their head.  "I can tell you some, but not all.  To start, this morning I entered and escaped from a demonplane.  Inside, time passes much slower, and I did not age, so what was a year there was only a minute here.  I was in the demonplane for twenty years, but when I finally escaped, only twenty minutes had passed."  Healin's voice grew flat. "I had gone to the demonplane to destroy a demon there, but they captured me, and for twenty years I was their prisoner, tortured on and off before I killed them and escaped. 

"That was the beginning of my day." Healin sat back. "And I do not wish to disclose the rest at this time."
My Open Threads!

My Characters!
Flordia

~The Doctor

Arclightning

Holy gods. Kavens eyes widened. He stuttered, trying to find something to say. But what would you say to someone who just got tortured for twenty years?
"Well then. I'm sorry I was such an ass,if it means anything. The other man was just supremely annoying." Kavens face split into a smile "And I thought I've been to hell and back."

KingTyrant

Leon said nothing as he heard Kaven talk his same garbage... Nobody would ever understand him unless they were in his shoes. All they knew to do was judge and act as if they had any grasp on what it was like to be him. Annoying? Funny, coming from the man who had interrupted his peaceful night. Though the same could be said about Healin...

He had stepped over roots and around bushes, wadding through tall grass and heavy sheets of hanging moss, hoping that their stench would leave his nostrils at some point. He had barely overheard Healin's little story, though he couldn't say he felt anything other than slight sympathy for them. After all, there were many who could say that they suffered. Leon was one of these people.

However... He stopped, looking back at his camp. There could be use for people such as these in his ranks. An aging soldier with at least some combat experience, and a possibly ageless creature with what seemed to be endless amounts of knowledge. He walked back to the camp, looking between the both of them. "Any particular place you two were headed?" He asked, wondering if their paths intertwined.

JackieCat

Healin smiled tightly, though Kavin couldn't see their mouth, covered as it was in their head scarf.  "It's no a problem," Healin said. "And I'm sure Leon has a reason for acting the way he was." They fell silent for a moment before speaking again. "And hell is just a perspective, though a strong one."

When Leon returned and asked where they were going, Healin took a moment to answer.  "Physically, I am currently going nowhere, wandering."
My Open Threads!

My Characters!
Flordia

~The Doctor

Arclightning

What? Kaven was confused by Healins words. Hell is a perspective? His brow knotted in confusion, and he was about to respond but the angry young man came back.
"Anywhere with good ale and good women." He smiled, loving the lie. He had lost his taste for women years ago, but he said it still only because it rolled easily off the tongue.

KingTyrant

"Men fight better in packs. Or... Groups, if you will. Perhaps it would be best if we stuck together." Leon suggested, crossing his arms. His face didn't show any emotion, as he didn't want to admit weakness to these strangers. "Sure, we have our differences. Especially you and I," he cast a glance at Kaven, "but it'd be quite unfortunate if one of you got snatched up by a basilisk." He remarked.

He held out his hand to Kaven, hoping for at least a temporary truce. The one thing Leon noticed is that he and the drunk possessed a mutual hatred for most people and things. Who knew? Maybe he'd find more in common with the man. Or, he'd just end up slitting his throat out of pure irritation. Either way, he wasn't looking for friendship. Rather, a companion on his journeys. The same went for Healin.

JackieCat

"I would travel with both of you," Healin said. "I am on no mission specific to one place."

The traveler was happy to see that Leon was willing to work, or rather, travel with them, and make a truce with Kaven.

"Where are you headed, Leon?" they asked.
My Open Threads!

My Characters!
Flordia

~The Doctor

Arclightning

Good. The kid was asking for help. Strangely it warmed Kavens heart to see him overcome his hatred. He really was a Kaven from fourty years ago. Kaven smiled and shook the outstretched hand.
"Aye, Ill join you. So where is our mighty pack going?" Kaven asked jokingly, hoping to get on Leons good side. Its always a good idea to be reasonably sure your companions aren't gonna kill you in your sleep.

KingTyrant

Leon looked out towards the deep woods, still shrouded in darkness. "Ketra. I'm on my way to Ketra, to look for work. I'm a merc. Small little towns like that are usually full of contracts." He explained, leaning against a tree.

He thought for a moment. Not only did Ketra have contracts, Ketra probably had real beds, too. Fresh ale... A roof to stay under... He quickly pushed the thoughts to the back of his mind. He wasn't the type of creature who needed to be surrounded by other people. He'd get a contract or two in Ketra, then leave. Simple as that. "We're a day's journey away. If we're gonna get anywhere come morning, we'll need to sleep. Understood?"

JackieCat

Healin nodded when Leon suggested sleep.

"I will take first watch," the traveler said.  Despite not having slept for a while, they were not tired, and they thought it prudent to keep an eye on Leon and Kaven, not for the traveler's safety, but for the two men, though it seemed they would not try to harm each other now.
My Open Threads!

My Characters!
Flordia

~The Doctor

KingTyrant

Leon nodded in agreement, walking to his bedroll and laying down on his back. He closed his eyes for a little bit, relishing the relief that the complete darkness brought him. He paused, realizing that someone else would eventually need to take over. "... Hey. Wake me up in a couple hours. I'll take over." He told Healin.

Arclightning

Clever. She's trying to keep an eye on me and Leon. If He was as he had been all those years ago it would have been prudent. But as he is now, Leon has nothing to fear.
"Well then I guess I get the dawn watch, wake me up so that you can get a few more hours of sleep hid. You young ones need all the shut-eye you can get." And with that, Kaven rolled up in his cloak and fell asleep.

KingTyrant

Leon narrowed his eyes at Kaven, still not fully trusting him. He laid back down on his back slowly, closing his eyes and beginning to drift off. In no time, he was asleep, silence filling the whole camp. The crickets and frogs were silent, not even the wind howling anymore. It was peaceful... Soothing.

As soon as he was awoken for his shift, he stood, walking to the edge of the camp and leaning against a tree. He kept his ears, eyes, and nose alert for anything, or anyone, that could pose a threat to them. His senses were much stronger than that of Healin and Kaven, so the chances of them being surprised were slim. But before he knew it, the sky had turned almost pinkish-blue in color, the sun just barely appearing in the distance. It was dawn, and therefor Kaven's turn to watch the camp.

Leon walked over to the sleeping man, nudging his shoulder with his foot a few times to wake him up. "Your shift, gramps." He murmured, face stoic.

Arclightning

Kaven awoke immediately, looked at Leon and nodded. Kaven pulled his bedroll up against a tree so he could still be in his bedroll while on his watch. Once he was settled in he realized that military training still affected him. He woke up immediately, he always had a hidden knife in his boots, and they were always within arms reach. And he always had his back to something. Kaven looked at Leon. The man was a fighter, but not a soldier. He fought only for himself. Kaven nodded to himself. That was why the man was so angry. He had nothing to fight for, to believe in. Nothing to give him purpose. Having solved that minor mystery Kaven turned and watched the sun rise.