Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Song of the Sea [Juno]

Started by DragonSong, March 22, 2016, 04:58:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DragonSong

"Well, Yan. It's nice to properly meet you," she said with a smile, taking another tiny step closer. Her eyes wandered up and down as much of his form as she could see, still rather wide. "You're huge," she murmured, unthinking that it might not be the politest thing to say.

She'd never seen such a large creature this close before. It was rather nerve wracking, even in a dream.

Juno

'Likewise.' He felt a little awkward, realizing she was still staring at him like that. He'd walked among humans so many times, flitting in and out of their lives, but he'd never spoken with one face to face in his true form.

Yan would have grinned if he could have, though, quite pleased with himself that she would pay him the great compliment of size. It was something he'd fought long and hard to get his own mother to recognize, spending too long as just "her baby" even though he was well into his mature years. It didn't really help that he'd never had anyone else to talk to about such things aside from his own kind. At least the humans seemed to recognize it in a less significant way, though; he knew he was rather "tall" to them as well.

'Thank you, tiny human,' he teased, a warm bark of laughter following. Yan slowly uncurled himself, curious how far he could push her sense of imagination within her "dream world." He rose up slowly, neck craning high into the air as he stepped closer to the beachline.

His paws sank almost uncomfortably into the wet sands as he approached her, making his gait far less graceful than he would have liked. Even as the water rushed off his back in giant cascades he shook himself out to fling the remaining droplets off his scaly hide. 'You are still very small,' he noted playfully once he was close enough to lower his head to meet her at eye level.

DragonSong

Aishling sucked in a startled breath, skittering back instinctively as he approached before she forced herself to stop, taking a few deep breaths.

"I'm not that tiny," she complained on reflex, though the bite to her tone was softened a bit by the sheer awe of seeing him so close. She yelped and skipped back another step when he shook himself, giving a surprised little laugh as cold water droplets hit her skin.

"You're just too big, that's the problem," Ash protested, eyes glinting playfully as she crossed her arms over her chest and cocked her hip. Another breeze blew off the water and she shivered slightly, damp now as well as barefoot. Her thin nightgown really wasn't doing much to protect her from the elements.

Juno

With the waves lapping annoyingly at his hind legs and tail he finally hauled himself entirely out of the sea to plop down onto the dry sand around her. It seemed safe enough to do so at least after she hadn't fled outright. By his guess she seemed impressed more than frightened.

He stretched his leathery wings a bit -being so close he was a bit more careful this time with trying not to dump water on her- and cracked his jaw in a quick, rumbling yawn skyward before craning his neck to look himself over. Green eyes flickered between himself and the small human female on the ground to judge her claim, her shivering going entirely unnoticed in his concentration.

'No, I think I'm quite alright, but doing that...thing,' he lifted a forepaw and gently nudged her crossed arms with the blunt top edge of two claws, 'That thing humans do to seem bigger than they actually are.' He laughed mischievously. 'Posturing: it does not help you.'

DragonSong

Ash swayed a bit at the touch, a bit surprised by the raw strength behind such a simple movement. "I'm not posturing, I'm just-"

She paused. Her eyes widened slightly and she looked him up and down, then let her eyes travel from the tip of his nose to the end of his tail.

His claws felt...very real. As did the cold, now that she thought about it. "Um. Hold on," she mumbled, ducking her head and holding her arm out, pinching gently.

She looked up. Yan was still there. Her eyes widened further and she pinched harder.

Still there.

"Oh my gods!" Ash's jaw dropped. "You- you're real! This isn't a dream!"

Juno

He tilted his head curiously, watching the way she pinched herself. He certainly understood how that felt and couldn't fathom why she would do that to herself if she wasn't a little bit insane. 'Now Aishling,' he scolded playfully, 'we established this already. You are dreaming. None of this is real, you wouldn't want your Da to worry about you, would you?'

Yan fed off the information he'd already obtained from her, knowing he was grasping at straws but amused to suddenly have the task of convincing her he was not real.

DragonSong

"B-bu-but-" Her eyes were the size of dinner plates now. "But you are- you're real!" she exclaimed again.

Her knees gave out and she flopped onto the beach, trying to wrap her head around what was happening. "This is real. You're real. I'm not dreaming- oh my gods!"

Ash looked out to the sea, raising her hands to cover her mouth. She was suddenly on the verge of tears. "I did it," she whispered, the dragon curled beside her taking a backseat for a moment. "I'm really here..."

Juno

There she was looking all startled again. The young dragon studied her, puzzled by her sudden collapse and misty eyes, distracted enough to stop his teasing for a bit.

Yan turned in a tight circle to peer out at the sea with her, head bowing to almost rest on the sand beside her to try and see it the way she was seeing it. The water didn't seem particularly worthy of tears, though he certainly could still appreciate its beauty.

'This upsets you?' he guessed, genuinely confused by this girl.

DragonSong

"No." She laughed, swiping at her eyes with the back of her hand. "No, it's...I'm happy-crying," she tried to explain. Tilting her head at him, Ash sniffed and asked curiously, "Do dragons do that?"

Juno

He recognized that, eyes brightening in realization as her question was first met with an amiable rumble. That cut short, though, when he realized he was not properly speaking to her. 'Yes,' he tried again, admitting, 'but that's usually when we laugh too much.'

Yan angled his head slightly, watching the gentle swell of the dark waves before them and reflecting on all that she'd told him to try and figure out why that was. 'You are...happy because you are here? On the beach?' he guessed.

DragonSong

Putting aside her musing about what a dragon's laugh would even sound like, Ash nodded slowly and gave him a small smile.

"I feel like- like I was always meant to be here, but it just took me so long to actually get here," she tried to explain. Normally she wouldn't have been sharing something that felt so personal, but considering what she'd told him when she thought he was a dream, she supposed there was no real harm in it.

Suddenly she paused, frowning a bit as she tilted her head back to look up at him. She realized she'd been mentally referring to him as "he" without actually knowing if that was true. His voice sounded rather masculine to her, but what if those sorts of things were different with dragons?

"Um, sorry if this is rude, but...see I was wondering..." She let out a breath and decided to just get it over with. "Are you male or female?"

Juno

Took her so long? That seemed very silly to him. The ocean was just so big after all, the land had always seemed so small to him by comparison and -at least by wings- nothing had ever seemed particularly far from his ocean home.

He was unfazed by her question, not seeing how it was rude for her to ask clarification of such a simple thing like that. 'I am male,' he answered simply, knowing he looked no different from the females of his kind.

'And you are female, yes?' He decided it must be so after a moment of studying her. He had never known a male human to keep so much hair or wear such things at night or have the shape that she did to her body.

'Why did it take you so long to get here? Do you live very far away?' he guessed, curious and still not understanding that her limitation was a social one.

DragonSong

She chuckled, nodding. "Yes, I'm female." She supposed it must be as difficult for dragons to tell the difference in sexes between humans as it was the other way around.

A sigh escaped her at his second question and she shook her head. "No. I actually live just up there." Ash pointed to the cliff she had climbed down to reach the shore, a few shadows within shadows the only bits of houses that could be made out from this distance.

She shook her head again, shrugging. "I just...wasn't allowed to come before. Actually, I'm still not allowed to come. That's why I'm here at night," she tried to explain again.

Juno

Yan lifted his head, turning slightly to look up at the dark shapes in the distance. Being so far away was practically the same as being in the sky and he recognized it as a human settlement with his keen eyesight

'Not allowed... Will you be in trouble when you are found?' he asked, assuming if it was so forbidden that someone would surely be looking for her. Perhaps her Da when he woke.

Turning to stare out at the water again he breathed a heavy, contented sigh, deciding, 'The sea is worth whatever comes.'

DragonSong

"Probably," Ash admitted with a shrug, wrapping her arms around her knees. She smiled softly, looking up at him. "I think you're right though. This....this is worth it."

She looked out over the water with a small, happy sigh. Then her face fell a bit and she added in a mutter, "I probably should head back soon though. If Da wakes up and finds me missing he'll be worried sick..."

Juno

He snorted at that, shaking himself out a bit and taking that as his cue to pad back into the shallower water. His tail dragged heavily behind himself to cover his tracks as he went. 'Well don't make him sick,' he teased, eyes shining brightly by the moonlight as he swung his head around to look at her. 'You should come see it again when you can. In the day, though. There is much more to see.'

DragonSong

She bit her lip. Gods she would love to come here in the day, but she didn't know if she'd be able to manage it. "I would really like to," she said softly, standing and watching him move into the water wistfully. "But I..."

Trailing off with a sigh, Ash glanced at the cliff, then back to the dragon. "Do you think...if I came here tomorrow night, would you be here?" She wasn't quite sure why, but she really liked the idea of being able to talk to him again.

Juno

Yan actually cracked a toothy grin at that, the expression quite predatory in his current form despite the interested glow to his eyes. He couldn't really help that he was all teeth and claws.

'I can make that happen,' he agreed, pleased that he might have had some sway in convincing her. It was not every day he met someone so enamored by the place he called home. Honestly, he couldn't recall such a meeting of happenstance in all of his short life.

'It's nice to speak with someone who does not fear my kind,' he admitted, lowering his head to gently nudge his muzzle against her arm in farewell. 'Until tomorrow. But do not make trouble for yourself, yes?'

DragonSong

A little surprised by the touch, Ash blinked at him for a moment, then reached her hand up to lay her palm on his brow with a small smile.

"Tomorrow night then." She took a few steps back and waved at him, reluctant to leave the beach and- she realized with some surprise- a little sad to say goodbye.

Juno

Yan rumbled with laughter, quite pleased for the light touch of her hand upon his scales. 'Tomorrow,' he promised, raising his wings slightly to return her wave before flattening them back against his sides again.

He stepped further into the water but paused, leaving himself only half-covered as he turned to watch her go.

Tags: