Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

A change in the dusty wind (Open)

Started by Mephistel, March 29, 2016, 11:51:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mephistel

It was a very harsh and sunny day, the sky was blue to the edge of the world, the sun kept the sand hot under his naked feet. The wind kept blowing, his clothes and hair following in it's fancy manners. The young man had set his tent at the village market, the view of the desert reminding himself of home. He frowned at the idea of those idiots up there, looking down on him as he made his life as a mortal, force to things he didn't like. This was no way for a god like him to live. He was immortal of course, but still, to be here, in the dirt like all those commoners, felt horrible.

While he placed the items on the display table, soon, people would flock to the market in order to make their trades. He was ready, a lot of items were set and he could make a little fortune with these, but this place didn't have much rich customers. Even tough it was difficult, he hadn't much choice so far. As the needle of the sand clock reach twelve, people started coming in and the young man was ready.

The sells went well for a while, most people had no idea what they were buying but the items looked good and well maintain. Mostly jewelry and others trinquets of the sort. All of them were pretty well made and looked the part all right. They were items he had find in his travel and would sell off if they weren't of much interest to him.

Once the rush was over, he started packing his stuff and got ready to leave, that was, until a commotion happened. Someone started screaming and beating sound could be heard. A crowd started to gather around the scene. Ruvyk didn't wanted to get in but as he wanted to left, the crowd pushed him further toward the scene and before he knew it, he was at the front lines, looking at a child been beaten by a man.

-You little thief! Give back what you stole! Rascal!-

The tall man called while giving another hit on the child, wich was crying and screaming, trying to escape. The kid lift his eyes toward the crowd and their eyes meet, he extended his hand toward him.

-H..help!...Help me!!! Pleeeeaaase!!-

The child called. Ruvyk felt shiver down his spine as the curse was urging him to help the child, despite not wanting too. Why had he see him? Why had he ask him for help? He greet his teeth once more and walk out of the crowd toward the child and the man, wich looked at him surprised.

-Leave that child alone...you've done more then enough...-

Ruvyk said, slowly, looking at the man straight in the eyes.

-Who are you?! Mind your own business!-
-I'm this child caretaker...I'm sorry for any trouble he made, release him and I'll pay for what he took from you...-

The young man didn't feel like fighting and he had plenty of jewel he could easily give away for the child's sake. The man seemed to hesitate a moment and left the child, wich crumbled to the ground. Ruvyk walked to the man and gave him a bottle filled to the brim with some liquid.

-This is a potion of Life, it will grant you many years to live, use it wisely...-

He then took the child by the waist and made his way back trough the crowd to reach his tent. The man had not opposed the gift, instead, he was looking at it with surprise and wonder.

Wave

Zodiac was minding his own business near the market.
The past days have been quite dull, and today was no exception. The commotion was at least a change from just sitting around, even if the cause didn't exactly interest him.

He didn't expect anybody to intervene and was already playing with the idea to do it himself just to get the crowd out of the way, so it surprised him that after so long somebody finally did something instead of just watching a child getting beating.
However something about the man didn't feel right. It wasn't a spell, that much was clear to him.

Zodiac followed the man to his tent. This was the first form of any kind of magic he had seen in days that looked somehow promising, and him being unable to tell what kind it was definitely had his interest.

Mephistel

Ruvyk had put the child down on one of the box he usually show his items on and started wiping the kid's face with a wet towel to get rid of the dirt and blood covering him. What's more, the water was imbued with a little magic, making the wounds heal quicker.

-Now then...you be a good boy and don't steal again...-

The tall young man said, looking at the boy in a scolding manner. The child nodded slowly while looking at him with big open eyes. Ruvyk looked a bit annoyed.

-Well..off with you!-
-But...to where? I have no parents...no home...-

The child said, tears rising up in his eyes. Ruvyk let out a sigh. Of course the kid wouldn't, he wouldn't stealing if he had would he? This was getting more annoying then it should.

-Look...why don't you take these...they should last you for a while, hid them well and be careful, by some lodging and food...and clothes with that...even at your age you should be able to work a bit...-

He said, handing the kid a small pouch filled with money. While he was dealing with the kid, a man had followed him to his tent, he had take notice of him, perhaps a customer? Or someone related to the child? He turned toward him.

-Is there something I can help you with?

Wave

Now closer to the man, Zodiac was sure it wasn't any sort of spell, since he couldn't find a trace of what he felt earlier. Unfortunately this also meant he couldn't figure out what it was.

"Sorry, I don't need anything. However, you might. You seem to have an... interesting problem"

'Interesting' was probably just his perspective of it.

Mephistel

As the man approach, Ruvyk could feel his aura a little, but still. He couldn't see his face at all, while it was under a hood. He raised an eyebrow to the man's sentence. Putting his hands on his hips and turning his slender figure toward him.

There wasn't much people around anymore, as the market rush hour was coming to an end. The man who had beaten up the kid was gone as well. The kid was looking at them, holding the pouch in his hands and got off the barrel.

-Thank you mister! I'll remember that!-

And ran off. Ruvyk followed the child with a gaze of relief until he disappeared somewhere in the streets shade. Turning back his gaze upon the mysterious stranger, he asked calmly.

-An interesting problem?-

His eyebrow were raised in interrogation. Who was this man? What could he be meaning by problem? It didn't reach him yet that the man could be talking about his curse, but that would surely come.

-Care to explain yourself?-

Wave

He couldn't explain something he didn't even have a clue about, but maybe he could get something out of the man to shine some light on it.
"What happened back there? And I don't mean the child getting beaten."

Mephistel

Ruvyk was even more taken aback.

-Back then, you mean when I saved the child perhaps?-

What could he be taking about. It was certainly not the fact that he saved the kid that was the problem, at least he hoped or could it be, this man had feel the effect of his curse? Of course, it only occurred when someone was asking him directly for help. He bring his fingers to his chin, apparently thinking, while observing the man.

-Well perhaps I do...but who am I talking too?-

He said softly, trying to peek under the hood, in the dark covering the man's face.

Wave

"Zodiac is my name. I don't usually offer my services to anyone..."
He watched his reaction closely. Peoples reaction to his name were usually not too positiv. 

Mephistel

Ruvyk looked at him for a moment, thinking, trying to see if he had heard of that name somewhere, but nothing came to mind.

-My name is Ruvyk...-

He said slowly while sitting on the barrel the kid was previously sitting on. A smile passed on his face.

-And...what kind of services do you not usually offer? hmm?-

He asked. it seems like the name hadn't reach this place yet, perhaps it was a good thing? The young man didn't seemed ready to just talk about everything without been a little convinced.

Wave

Glad that the man didn't just try to cut his throat, Zodiac answered: "You tend to see a lot while traveling."
Two small purple orbs briefly flashed in front of Zodiac. It was usually enough to show that he was a mage.

Mephistel

He couldn't agree more, traveling would make you see many a thing. Eying the two orbs until they disapeared, he quickly came to the conclusion that this man was a mage, so he was probably able to feel the power of the curse.

-I see...magic huh?...-

He said, more to himself then to the man in front of him. The young man seemed to be thinking for a moment. If that mage had been able to feel the curse...perhaps he could..., but still, there was a huge difference between feeling something and removing it.

-Well...I have to admit, it's impressive that you could feel it...my curse that is...-

He said.

-Tell me...just how much powerful are you Zodiac? Are you strong enough to kill a God?-

Wave

A curse? This certainly could be interesting. He couldn't recall over meeting someone cursed. That would at least explain why he couldn't feel it now.
That also meant he had no idea what to do with it, but not the first thing he'd need to figure out on the fly.

"Kill... a god?" Even after repeating it himself he needed a second to answer. It was something that he wasn't asked every day.
"I'd love to give it a try." Finally something that sounded like a challenge. 

Mephistel

Ruvyk chuckled a little

-Well yes...kill a God..-

He repeated himself.

-Unless you are as powerful as one, you'll need to kill it to remove said curse.-

He said, tilting his charismatic face on the side. Now, the question was, why was the young man cursed. He smiled as the man seemed interested in the task. Nothing was ever so easy and Gods weren't that easy to reach either.

-Glad to hear that! And I'm sure I can offer enough compensation for your time.-

Added with a grin.

Wave

"Well, we'll see."
Messing with the power of a god already sounded like a challenge. One he was willing to take on.
"Why don't you tell me more? Getting cursed be a god doesn't sound like an easy task."

Mephistel

once again, the young man chuckled, the rings around his wrist and ankles making a twinkling sound. He looked at the man and smiled, more then that, he grinned before his expression turned annoyed.

-Well...I suppose I pissed them off enough so they would do that...but I don't want to talk about this here...too much people..-

Even if the crowd had mostly dissipated, many ears could hear them talking. He got up and started packing his stuff up before putting everything back into a tiny bag, exception of the main table and other things that couldn't be so easily carried.

-Follow me...-

On that, he started walking. There was many mysterious thing about this man. And that curse was not the only magical thing about him. He led them into an alley and eventually a house. it was small but looked well built and maintain. Entering the small place, he lit a few candles in the pathway and led them upstairs, to the second floor. There were items and objects everywhere, no doubt, many of them had magical auras around them.

Getting into a room, Ruvyk let himself fall over a pile of cushion and sighed. there were other piles and some chairs for Zodiac to sit if he wanted.

-Get comfortable...welcome to my house!-

Wave

Zodiac noticed how he mentioned multiple gods. He didn't ask and just followed him.
Once inside, he looked around before taking a seat. The collection was impressive, but nothing caught his eye.

"Alright. How does someone manage to piss of multiple gods?"

Mephistel

Ruvyk took his time to answer, he wonder how he would take it. Should he reveal everything now? He wanted to keep it going a little longer, after all, he didn't knew anything about the other man.

-There are...many ways to do so...but before I go on, why don't you tell me a little more about yourself huh?-

He asked, smiling while taking out a set of tea from his bag and pouring in some hot water that seemed to be coming directly from the young man's hand. apparently, Zodiac wasn't the only magician here.

Wave

Zodiacs past is a well kept secret and he intended it to stay that way. There weren't too many alive that knew, as much as he wanted there to be none.

"Well, what do you want to know? I travel around to learn more about different kind of magics. And occasionally look for a challenge."

Mephistel

Taking a sip of his cup of tea, he looked back at the man.

-Not the talkative one huh...can you at least show me your face?-

He asked. If they were to work together, there was a minimum needed of trust between them. Ruvyk wanted his revenge on the gods for sending him here and imposing their stupid curse on him, but he wouldn't just trust any stranger mage just because they were ''interested'' in a challenge.

-You have to understand, that I also need to take my precautions...-

Wave

"Of course, being cautious is never wrong"
He paused before answering further. Since the man happened to be dealing with gods, the chance of him recognizing was to high for Zodiac to risk it.

"I hope you can understand that I'd rather not show my face then."