Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Hazardous Portraiture

Started by Whim, June 16, 2016, 12:00:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whim

"I c-can't keep this up much longer..." the little red bird stuttered. The spell was wearing off and the branch was buckling under his weight. With a yelp Ewan leapt, flapping as he fall, and landed in a burst of feathers. He was a boy again.

"Guess we're walking. Let's hope that glow is the phoenix and not an eruption. Or a dragon. Besides being all of cleansing flame and renewal do you know much about them? We're not going to be hiding in some crevice for days while you draw I hope?" he cracked a smile.

A crude stone path was laid before them which seemed to wind its way up the mountain. Stone makers lay along it, carved into the shape of spread wings.
Awesome avatar by Eckhart_von_Musel

Guilds:
Wyrdwood Academy of Arcane Science

Events:
The Midnight Harvest
Into the Mouth of Qokagax

Characters:
Ewan ap Rhys - once a great sorcerer, now a small boy
Anwen ferch Rhys - scholar of blood magic
Duke Blackthorn - Duke of Dawn and Dusk, Warden of Weal and Woe, and all-around evil faerie
"Kaliam" - magically conjoined apprentice wizards
Maergath - Magister of Soulshaping, necromancer, angry and hateful wizard
Narlis Thordane - Hero for hire, proud and unrepentant scumlord
Niamh Wayrest - trader in forbidden lore, purveyor of curiosities
OLIVER THE BARBARIAN - a very reluctant hero and monster-slayer
Sage Whitechalk - heir to the Whitechalk Family
Saoirse Nettlefield - Headmistress of Wyrdwood, conniving academic

Ice

Pension looked at the boy when he spoke now. He cringed when the beach cracked under him. Well at least the spell did not make him a bird forever. " Are you alright?" He asked comming up beside him now.

As he spoke again the peafowl just smiled a bit. He did know that if they were intelligence most phinoxes were okay. If they were wild well they might have to be careful. " It depends on if they have been around humans. Some can look like people for a short time. Those ones can be nice. The ones that can't are not quite as kind." He explained to the boy. Out here they were likely to meet one that was wild.

" And it usually only takes me a few hours to draw a master peice. " He added with a smile. He was a very good artist and was very confident in his skills.

Whim

"Do we have to bring a gift or something? And just who carved these anyway you think?" Ewan trudged up the ashy slopes, feet turning black from the dust. "And just who do you think carved these? Haven't seen any tribesman."

Clearly something capable of working fine tools lived here once. Besides the avian stone markers an enormous sun relief was carved into the cliff-side as they zigzagged up it. "And... do you get the feeling we're being watched? Awful quiet here. No animals. No people."

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:
Duke Blackthorn - Duke of Dawn and Dusk, Warden of Weal and Woe, and all-around evil faerie

Ice

Pension thought about the boys questions for a minute. He really didn't know the answer to them. " Well I really don't know. I don't think that a bird would want a gift. And maybe some ancient race was here before or something. " He said taking a good look around. As he walked his tail feathers dragged along in the dusty ash. It made small dust cloud behind him.

Upon hearing his next question he frowned. He got that feeling as well. And it did bother him a bit. " Well I do. Think it might be the creature that carved these . Maybe they are still here." He stated with a frown. He was very unsure of what was out here.

Whim

"Suppose you're right." Ewan thought he heard more scuttling in the rocks as they crept up the path, but thought nothing of it. Probably just the wind. He could feel heat emanating from the rock. Was an eruption coming? Could he manage to become a bird again?

As the duo neared the second ledge from the top they heard a shrill cry and an arrow whizzed past Ewan. A warning shot. It came from a tiny lizardman covered in red plumage. Soon more of the strange theropods, all screeching, squawking, and waving spears were upon them. Ewan's eyes widened as he backed up defensively, book in hand and spells at the ready. Pension could make out some of the words: Intruder, Trespasser, Invader. It was a primitive form of the dialect spoken by many avian peoples.

"I - uh- do you understand them? I could... poison them... or... try and become a dragon... maybe..." the boy looked to Pension, mind racing.

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:

Ice

Pension was quite as he heard the same sounds the boy heard. His instinct told him that they might be in trouble here. So in reaction to his his persona switched to a more defensive one. The one that came out to protect him.

As they moved further up the mountain he frowned as an arrow whent by them. Then he saw the lizard people. He could understand a couple of words that they were saying. He then looked as the boy as he too backed away. He really did not want to upset the locals here.

" They are calling us Intruders. I think they think we are trespassing. Which I guess we are. I might be able to talk to them but I'm not sure if thay will listen." He told the boy then he frowned slightly. " I don't know if killing them would upset the phinox or not." He added now.

Whim

One of the raptorfolk danced forward. It had colorful orange plumage with gold and cobalt jewels. Its slited eyes narrowed with disdain and it began to squawk, "You speak outsider? Why come here? Most glorious and beautiful and wise and glorious god of life and death morns. No visitors. No wishes. No cures.

"You go back!" it thrust a crude, obsidian spear in their direction.

"I don't know if I can fight them..." the boy shrank back, toying with a cat-tooth talisman around his neck. "Maybe see if you can't bribe them? I've only got my book!"

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:

Ice

Pension was quite as he listened to what the creatures were saying to them now. He could see that these creatures seemed to apparently see the phinox as a god of some sort. He had to try to think of away to talk them in to letting them pass. Though it sounded like they were pretty upset. " I can try talking to them but I'm not sure if it will help. I don't have much to offer them either. " He told the boy now

" Why does your god mourn ?." He said trying not to look or sound threatening. He was not the best at talking to hostile tribes people. He wondered though if he could convince them to let them pass or not.he was also wonder how he could win their trust or at least not upset them more.

Whim

"Think they'd want a sketch?" Ewan gave a bemused smirk. Of all the dangers to stand in their way it was idiot goblin-things.

"Not know! God knows so much we so little!" the raptorfolk lamented, bowing its head in reverence. "Time come for hatching. For rebirth! Is joyous, yet is so sad. Bored. Silent. Do not understand!

"Perhaps boy make good slave? Can sing? Dance?" it chirped hopefully.

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:

Ice

Pension looked at the boy when he asked his question. He wondered that himself but had not asked. They did not seem like the type who liked art . Though he knew he could be wrong. " I have no idea." He told the boy now. He then turned his  attention back to the bird creatures.

Then he heard what they asked . He was not really wanting to put his friend in danger. " think you could entertain them?" He asked the boy now. He did not want to force his friend to do something he did not want to do. It was part of the persona that was domanet now.

Whim

"About the most entertaining thing I can do is turn into an animal sometimes." Ewan didn't much like the glint in their beady little eyes. He shuffled behind Pension, squeezing the peafowl's wing embarrassingly tight. "Why? What are they saying?

"Tell the phoenix you'll sell him a sketch him! I mean you were gonna draw him anyway right? I bet whatever art these things do isn't a tenth as good..."

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:

Tags: