Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Mud on church steps. [open!]

Started by Rhindeer, August 05, 2016, 12:19:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lion

Oh the words that were uttered from her lips were lingering on his ears, tingling down his spine, making the hairs on the back of his neck stand on end.  He shivered and felt his heart beat heavily in his chest.  His blood was roaring, boiling but in a good way.  He squeezed the horse and the beast moved like the wind. With a huff, the horse snorted and ran off.

He clung to the reins, with one arm secured around her waist.  The sounds of the men following them slowly dissipated, but he knew it wouldn't be long before they caught up with them. Quinlan was decent on horseback and the horse seemed a lot happier to be away from fire.

Like to kill mages?  Join the Order!
The Order of St. Agratha

Help Rebuild Connlaoth from the ashes of war!
The Red Legion

Jump in the water's fine!
Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"Life is a series of dogs." -George Carlin
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

Rhindeer

Clover didn't dare open her eyes as she clung to the horse's mane and continued her desperate prayer. Everything had gone so, so wrong so quickly, and she still didn't understand how or why! Except for the part where she'd flung water at the man. Was that the catalyst? Oh God, why couldn't she just keep her big mouth shut? It wasn't the first time it had gotten her into trouble, but the sinking feeling in her gut told her that this time was different, and there might not be any coming back from this.

She only stopped praying when her throat grew sore, but she couldn't stay quiet long. Chancing a look over her shoulder at the crazy man, she cleared her throat. "What now?" She swallowed. "Wh-where are we going? They're not gonna get us, are they?"
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Lion

Quinlan squeezed his thighs firmly against the horse's side. Even with not being the best rider in the world, he was able to allow the horse to run as he pleased while still remaining somewhat in control. He hadn't realized then that they'd gone deep into the forest surrounding that small chapel, the horse easily and eagerly weaving between trees as if it hadn't gotten a chance to run in ages.

With a chuff though, the horse slowed down, throwing his head back and dancing on his hooves and looking back at the pair on his back.

"I....fuck!" Quinlan cursed and shook his head.  Gods!  Did she have to out him!?  This was all her fault.  And yet somehow his, but because it was easier to focus on her right now, he ignored the fact that his head had been caught under her skirt from the beginning.  He turned on her swiftly and gave her a narrow-eyed glare. "What were you thinking!?" he growled. "You could have gotten both of us killed!  I wasn't going to hurt you, but those soldiers damn well will.  You think they give a shit you're a mage!?  There's bloody war going on and you thought I was a vampire...  I would spank your face, but I'm not that kind've guy.  We're in a real pickle now, Dot."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

Rhindeer

"Clover," she corrected, sharper than she intended, because now that some of the shock had begun to wear off, anger was starting to trickle in--and she embraced it. After all, fiery anger was a far better feeling than icy, heart-squeezing terror, and she was scared, deep down to the core of her soul. But fear was a helpless, hunted sensation; anger made her feel like she actually had a little control in the situation, whether she did or not.

Crossing her arms to hide her trembling hands, she shot him a deep frown from over her shoulder. "It's Clover, not Dot. And it wasn't my fault! What was I supposed to do? You were acting like a vampire!" Even though she had never actually met one to know how one actually behaved. "I wasn't going to just keep quiet and risk you hurting someone! Which begs the question of why on earth were you acting so shady?! OH!"

She sucked in a breath, her eyes going wide with fresh horror and realization as she clutched a hand to her chest. "You're a spy, aren't you?! And I gave away your position! Oh God. You're not taking me off to some dark, secluded place good for dumping bodies, are you?"
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Lion

"I'm not a fucking spy!" Quinlan spat back to her, just as angry. "I'm a criminal!  I've killed Mordecai and those soldiers probably know a wanted man when they see one. I didn't mean to take you hostage, but really when you turned their attention to me, I didn't really have a choice.  Besides, you have the mark, mage.  You probably were going to be a victim sooner or later. It was just a matter of time."

The last words left him sobered and he shook himself of the anger.  What use was it to scowl, growl, and scold this tiny creature that felt so bold as to correct her name.  Ugh, and Clover?  "What kind of name is that anyway?" he blabbed, scoffing.  "Really?  Why didn't they just name you Crabgrass?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Rhindeer

The blood drained from Clover's face. Oh, she knew he was a criminal of some sort, all right, but a murderer?! A killer of Mordecai! Her eyes went saucer wide. She had never met a murderer before.

Fumbling at the high neck of her dress, her fingers found the chain there and she pulled out the small pendant she wore--a symbol of Ansgar--and clutched it tightly. God knew she was going to need every small bit of help and protection and guidance she could muster. It was enough to tamp her own anger and remind her of just how perilous a situation she was in, at the mercy of a criminal. But no, she had to be brave! God was with her, right? She just had to believe and trust it was true and let that strength fill her, just like all the good martyrs of the past.

The thought made her stomach twist. She didn't want to be a martyr, though. Martyrs were dead.

"Clovers are lucky!" she said despite her fear, rolling her shoulders back--and felt a little foolish for saying it. This was certainly not luck. She was a very unlucky Clover right now. But she couldn't take the words back, and her tongue didn't seem to want to start once it got flapping. "A-and they're pretty and have flowers and it's probably better than whatever your name is!"

Lion

"Quinlan," he replied. "You'll probably hear about it somewhere at some point. Better you heard it form me."  He nodded to her and took in a deep breath. Calm down. Being mad wasn't going to fix their situation. He was still a wanted man, and had her mixed up with him.  The question remained now...what was he going to do with her?

Couldn't just let her go now could he?

"Look I'm...sorry that I dragged you into this. You're just a victim and I freaked out and now you're.... FUCK!" he cursed loudly.  "Oh, sorry, Church Mouse.  Look, if you go back now, maybe explain to the soldiers they'll...let you go.  I dunno.  I'm not going to hurt you."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Rhindeer

Go back?

For a brief second, Clover's heart lifted with hope, that she could just walk back home, go back to her quiet, boring life--and then her hopes sank like a turd in a lake.

Explain to the soldiers? Explain to the soldiers that had been shooting at her?

She was a mage, mixed up with a criminal. All these people ever wanted was an excuse to hang a mage. Or burn them.

"Maybe.? Maybe? They were shooting at me, too!" Clover said, voice turning into a squeak as the situation began to sink in even more, as she began to realize just how deep in this she was. She pressed a hand to her mouth, her talisman biting into the palm of her other hand as she clutched it, panic tightening in her chest. He was sorry, he said. He didn't mean to, he said. And he sounded sincere enough, regretful enough, said he wasn't going to hurt her--and if he wanted to, wouldn't he have already done it? But...but now what?

"I can't go back now! They think I'm with you! I think! Why else would they shoot at me--ow!"

She jerked and opened her hand, the one that had been clutching her necklace, and the little talisman fell back against her chest. With a wince and a frown, she looked at her hand, her palm bleeding where the charm had bit into the skin--and as it pooled in the creases of her hand, she found it hard to look away.

Lion

Her pleas didn't fall on deaf ears. Even though he didn't want to let her go really. That wasn't how hostages worked. But she quickly was going to fall into disuse now that he thought about it. Quinlan didn't like having even more dead weight on him than usual.  He was quiet during her tirade.

And watched her hands.  The blood, and her expression.  Quinlan's eyes narrowed, and he felt his breath hitch.  "What's the matter?" he found himself asking. "Cat got your tongue?"

But carefully he reached across him and closed his hand over hers, cupping the back of it before he brought his mouth down to lap at her palm.  Weird, but it would sate the itch that was coming into his own veins, that burning ache that begged for his magic to be used.  "You're a mage....  What's you curse?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Rhindeer

Clover hardly heard his question. Because if there was one way to snap her out of that trance, it was licking her hand.

HE WAS A VAMPIRE AFTER ALL!

With a horrified squeak, Clover jerked her hand back and stared at him with wide eyes. "Wh-wha--! You licked me! My blood! YOU DRANK MY BLOOD!"

Lion

Quinlan dropped his head. "I licked your blood to stave off my own magic making things hell for me, not because I'm a vampire. And if I was, I've had better," he said and stuck his tongue out childishly at her.

"My blood magic is a bloody curse. No pun intended. A demon made it so my own magic would slowly kill me, in the most painful way possible. Think of a thousand tiny needles running up your veins, barbed needles that don't tingle the way a sleeping limb does, but very consciously being able to feel them stabbing you from the inside. So no, I'm not a vampire. I'm just a very very stupid man."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Rhindeer

...Blood magic?

He...he had blood magic?

The announcement was enough to sober her, leaving her staring at him in a mixture of wonder and fear. He was no vampire, then. Rather, he was exactly like her.

Except for the curse.

Sucking in a breath, Clover opened her hand and glanced down at the fresh blood still seeping out. With a shudder, she closed her hand again and swallowed, looking back up at Quinlan. "I...I've got blood magic, too," she said quietly. "That's my curse. Er. Though not like your curse. I don't...I didn't get mixed up with no demons."

And then she looked at her hand again and paled. "...I don't think so, anyway. I've never felt...that. The needles. But...I guess it'd make sense if it was demons." She bit her lip. "It's evil."

Lion

Quinlan licked his lips.

"Well, it's a little too late to take it back now," Quinlan chuckled. He smirked at her and wrapped his hands around hers. She was a blood mage too. Why was that somehow unsurprising? The amount of fervor she had for the Church and the life she knew however, was a little bit moreso.

It was the only life she knew, and it was where she felt the most safe. And he just violently wrenched her from it.

"We're quite a pair then," Quinlan smirked, snickering. "Look, I won't lick you again, if you promise not to be all...erm, hysterical. Sorry, didn't mean that 'cause you're a woman. Just because, well.  You're kinda scary when you're screaming."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Rhindeer

Clover's lips went thin. "I'm the scary one? I only scream when you scare me! You're the scary one! Stop scaring me and I'll stop screaming!" she huffed, tugging her hands free and crossing her arms. Though he was a little less scary at the moment, now that they weren't being shot at and he'd proven he wasn't a vampire and he was no longer hauling her about like a sack of potatoes through all sorts of wild acrobatics.

Less scary, but she was still frightened out of her wits. She'd never come close to death before. And never had anyone want to kill her. Those soldiers had wanted to kill her, and she couldn't go back home now.

She shuddered, rubbing her arms, forgetting her cut and smearing a little blood on the sleeve of her dress. "So...now what? Are you going to, um...just leave me somewhere?"

Lion

He couldn't help but smile though her little tirade. Somehow it was kind of cute the way she went on like that, there was a certain gleam to her eyes that amused him and he chuckled.  Yeah, sure, he probably didn't make the best first impression. Being harassed by soldiers, on the run, and seeming to kidnap random people had a tendency to sour any positive interactions they could have had.

"You know, you're always welcome to come with me," Quinlan said. "I came back to Connlaoth to find my sister. I know there's a war raging around, and only a fool would come back. But well, considering how we met, I've established that already. And...well, if you want, I could leave you. But I'll not make that choice for you.  Come along, the middle of the forest is never pleasant.  There are bears and soldiers about."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Rhindeer

"Don't leave me!" Clover said before she could think, grabbing onto his sleeve. Bears and soldiers, indeed! And though she found this man scary still, bears and soldiers were scarier. At least he'd proven he didn't want to kill her; he would have already hurt her if he meant to, right? God, this was so confusing! He had kidnapped her and gotten her into this mess, and now she was terrified to leave him even with freedom offered!

But...what were her choices? If she didn't go with him, where would she go? She was a marked mage, and one those soldiers had tried to shoot! The villagers wouldn't help her; they didn't trust her as it was, anyway, and they would never believe her innocence. The soldiers would likely shoot her on sight. And the church was all she knew. She didn't know where she could go.

She certainly didn't know how to survive in the wilderness.

Clover swallowed nervously. Iffy as it was, this man was her greatest chance of survival--if he didn't get them into another bad situation! And there was the added complication that he was also a mage, unmarked and wild. A blood mage, at that, and one demon-touched...

Oh, she hoped Ansgar understood. She didn't want to do this! She just...also didn't want to die.

God, what choice have you given me? And didn't everything happen for a reason?

There...must be a reason for this.

...Right?

"I-I mean, I'll go with you," she said, clearing her throat. "Um. Where are you going?"

Lion

Quinlan just knew one thing. He'd rather take his chances out in the wilds than go back there and be killed by those soldiers, or worse be arrested. Whatever it was they had in store for him, it didn't look like they were interested in negotiating or apologies.

And he sympathized more with this church mouse than he did with those jackboots anyway.

"We'll have to do something about your mark then," Quinlan said and gestured to her clothing. "Did they claim your skin too? I'm headed further east. Truth be told, that's the last place I remember my sister being, but it's been so long since I've been in Connlaoth."

He reached his hand out to her and moved back to the horse, to help her up onto it, and climbing on the back himself.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Rhindeer

With a grimace at his question, Clover settled down onto the horse, shifting until she felt more secure in the saddle, if still unsettled because she hadn't really been one for horses and felt like it would be too easy to fall off. It was so high up! And here she had been hoping for a simple life with her greatest excitement coming from theological debates.

She sighed, gripping the horse tight with her thighs, her dress hitching up awkwardly and exposing way too much stocking. She flushed, having not noticed it before when they were being SHOT AT, and tried to jerk her skirts down more.

"Yeah, the mark's skin deep, you could say," she said, and rolled back the sleeve of her right arm. There on the underside of her wrist was a brand matching the one sewn in her dress. It wasn't always like that; she hadn't always worn that one, and it was obvious in the way the skin was still new and pink. But as the war dragged on and paranoia grew, some in her town had begun to demand physical brands, too. So when the Father told her such, she submitted, even though it was awful. It was supposed to keep her safe, show her obedience.

She pulled the sleeve back down.

"Is your sister a mage, too?" she asked, grabbing onto the horse's mane.

Lion

Quinlan lightly tapped his heels into the horse and the animal began to trot onward, muscles twitching from the lapse in adrenaline. A nicker and a soft whinny, and the horse looked at the pair of them as if fully intending to take them right back to those soldiers.

These interlopers weren't too bothersome the mare supposed and kept on walking.

"My da is. I haven't spoken to him in years either..."  Admitting it was harder than he thought it would be and Quinlan felt his throat tighten up. "My sister had a bit of a gift, but...I was the only one that ever... erm, well, y'know. Demons.  He was a merchant of trinkets, enchanted small things. It was never something strong enough that people noticed he was a mage. And we lived on a small farm outside of a small town in Folkvar. So y'know it was easy to hide it."

Quinlan frowned and sighed, noticing Clover's leg and he made himself laugh although it had little humor in it. "Y'know, I'm not, er...how should I say, like gawking at you or anything. I hope I don't make you uncomfortable. I mean, you're not ugly. Let me just tell ya that."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Rhindeer

"You better not be gawking!" Clover said, feeling her face heat all the more. She reached and yanked at her dress again, but it hardly made a difference. It wasn't like she'd had time to prepare for this! Not that she owned any riding skirts to begin with. "Gawking's a sin, after all. So if you were you'd better ask forgiveness and maybe do some fasting! Clean your soul."

She cleared her throat awkwardly. Not ugly? She guessed that was a compliment? Or something? She wasn't sure. She hadn't really given much thought to her appearance. Vanity was a sin, after all, and they didn't keep mirrors in her church for that reason. (And because the Father was a bit superstitious, and claimed mirrors could be gateways for the demonic.) She had no reason to worry about whether she was ugly or attractive. The church was her life, and she would never be married to anything but it.

She shifted a little on the horse, her ass already growing sore. "Anyway, why ain'tcha ever gone back? Home, I mean. And is your sister lost or something? In trouble?"

Tags: