Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

A Little Night Music

Started by DragonSong, August 15, 2016, 04:28:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DragonSong

@Moonie

The day was winding down, dusk fading into true evening as Tara set herself up at the corner of a small shop, almost smack in the middle of the town.

Cerenis may have been the port capital of Serendipity, but there were plenty of other coastal towns just as lovely and lively, if not as large. This little place- Bayhaven- was one of her favorites, and she stopped here often on her travels to rest and resupply. A few of the locals knew her, and she noticed a woman and man walking arm and arm, the young lady halting her companion and giving Tara a smile as she knew what was in store.

Tara smiled back and sat herself down on an overturned bucket, propping her little lyre on her lap and plucking out a few scales to warm up. She played a note, hummed, played again, then let her eyes drift half closed and started to sing, fingers dancing over the strings.

It wasn't some epic ballad or a history, just a silly ditty often heard on festival days or at weddings and christenings. Still, her voice lent it a kind of credence that seemed to make it...more than it was, dipping and dancing through the air around her.

Zero

Even in human guise it was impossible for Tatsu to not stand out. The dragon possessed an ethereal beauty and grace that would rival any elf. Standing six and a half feet tall also caused him to tower over all around him, and it wasn't only his physical presence that radiated power. Even the mundane could sense the magical aura surrounding him - even if they didn't know what exactly it was they felt in his presence.

The weather was lovely on the coasts; balmy days basking on the beaches and gentle night breezes that teased softly at his silver-white hair as he strolled leisurely down the cobblestone streets. It was so very easy to absorb the energies around him, such a quite and peaceful little town radiated positive energy that tickled his skin in the most pleasant of ways.

A subtle shift in the flow of energy beckoned him, drawing him towards the soft melody of a lyre and a vibrant voice letting out a silly little song. The music alone would have been enough to seize his attention, but there was more to it than just the notes and the lyrics. Magic hummed and vibrated through the air, pulsing through him in delightful little waves of brilliant light. It wasn't every day that he encountered such a siren as the unassuming young lady playing on a shop corner.

Tatsu quickly and easily found himself entranced. Sure, the song was just a silly little thing, but unlike the others that had paused to listen, he did not only hear the sounds - he felt them.

DragonSong

Tara glanced around at the growing crowd as she played and her eyes lit on the rather imposing figure who seemed to have just materialized, though she wasn't sure how she'd missed him before.

Oh well. If he left a little coin in the small pouch she'd placed at her feet she'd be grateful, but otherwise he was just another idle Serenian curiosity.

She let the ditty float to an end and waited a moment, then started up with a slower, sadder melody, a requiem for love lost.

Zero

Tatsu did not know the second song, but it took only moments for it to tear at him. The sad melody of lost love caused a painful thrum inside his chest. As it continued he might have wept - if there had been tears still left in him to shed for his beloved mate.

That well had run dry millennia ago.

Some of the people around him were placing a few coins in a pouch for the singer, but the dragon was far too captivated to even move until the performance ended. It was like rousing himself from a dream just to pull his mind out of the small levels of musical magic vibrating and humming around the young bard.

Tatsu didn't even know how long he had been standing there, completely enthralled.

DragonSong

The ballad was a long one, and by the time she was done Tara desperately needed a drink. She smiled gratefully for the small spattering of applause when she stopped and bent to retrieve her water flask, taking a log gulp.

The magic of her voice seemed to hang in the air around her for a few moments even after she'd gone silent.

Zero

Tatsu managed to applaud quietly with the rest before he slowly approached the bard. People in the crowd almost instinctively moved out of his way, although he was not at all forceful or insistent as he made his way to the front.

Part of it was probably his appearance, and not only because of his tall stature. Tatsu was dressed as finely as any lord in crimson, black, white, and silver. His pale eyes regarded Tara coolly for a moment, as if assessing a puzzle he was trying to solve.

Finally he reached into his coat and dropped a few silvers into her pouch. "Thank you, for the most beautiful music I have heard in a long time."

DragonSong

Silver. Now that caught her attention. She could usually only hope for a couple coppers at best, a handful of she was lucky.

Her eyes snapped up and she searched his face with interest. "You're welcome," she murmured after a moment, realizing he wasn't being coy but genuinely thanking her. "And thank you in turn."

She was quiet a moment longer, then offered with a small smile, "Do you have a request, milord? I'd be happy to entertain." It was a nice surprise to come across someone who seemed to do earnestly appreciate music.

Zero

The faintest of smiles crossed Tatsu's lips as she thanked him, but he shook his head when she asked if he had a request. "It is not necessary for you to address me so. I am simply Tatsu Drake, and my only request would be to know the name of such a Nightingale as yourself."

He punctuated that request with a polite and respectful bow.

DragonSong

She laughed lightly, surprised but rather charmed by his manner. It was almost...quaint. Which was not a word she would have before applied to such a silver-haired giant.

"Tara." She extended a hand politely. "Name's Tara. It's a pleasure, Mister Drake."

Zero

Tatsu probably wouldn't have described his mannerisms as quaint; only respectful. She would find her extended hand gently taken as he bowed again and pressed a soft, brief kiss to the back of it. As soon as he had placed the kiss he released her fingers.

"It is a pleasure to meet you, Miss Tara." He straightened back to his full height and gestured around at the gathered people. "Please, I would hate to further interrupt your performance so selfishly."

DragonSong

Tara blinked at him, rather bemused by the gentile gesture. Then she smiled and nodded. "Well, I only hope to please," she murmured with a soft, chiming laugh.

She sat back and gently placed the lyre on the ground beside her, taking up her flute instead. She moved on to an instrumental piece, piping away cheerily, the the occasional slides and trills that really gave the music life.

Normally she had a firm grasp on her magic, but she was relaxed, and still a little distracted by Tatsu's presence. Quite without her intent, a few threads of magic flickered away from her, calling up a soft breeze the whispered around her in a gentle swirl, picking at the ends of her hair and blowing about the scent of the sea.

Zero

Slipping back into the crowd, Tatsu found a comfortable place to lean, allowing his eyes to fall closed as he let his mind drift back into the music as the sweet notes began rising from the flute.

It didn't take long for those tendrils of magic to begin swirling around Tara again, but now it wasn't only the music that was effected. The breeze that began gently circling the musician wasn't strictly natural, and he tilted his head back slightly as it flowed through his hair. Of course it was touching everyone that was close enough, but Tatsu was lost to the world. His consciousness danced along the magic veins, oblivious to all else.

Nothing could have moved him for as long as Tara played her enchanting music.

DragonSong

Perhaps spurred on by her new and evidently ardent fan, Tara played a longer session than was usual for her, the stars becoming visible as she finally packed up her instruments and gathered the pouch she'd laid at her feet.

Not bad. The silvers from Tatsu glinted conspicuously, but other people had thrown in quite a handful of coppers, all told. She smiled and tied the purse closed, slipping it into a pouch on her belt.

Zero

During the extended performance the audience had evolved, some leaving, others arriving to pause and enjoy the musician's work for a time before moving on. Tatsu was probably one of the very few that remained from beginning to end.

Once Tara began packing up, most of the crowd dispersed. Except for Tatsu, of course. For a few moments he simply watched her, trying to decide what to do.

Logically he should have just moved on. The young mage and musician was only performing on the streets for strangers to enjoy her art and to make a little coin. He doubted she wished to be further bothered beyond a compliment or two for her music. It was impossible to help himself, though.

Tatsu approached her as the last of the crowd dispersed to go about their evenings. It was beginning to become late and most were probably eager to return to their homes or inns to rest. "Forgive me for being a nuisance, but might I ask if you have already made lodging arrangements? I am staying at the Moonlight Villa, a very reputable establishment with a most excellent view of the coast. It would be my pleasure to have you join me for a glass of wine - they offer divine and diverse vintages."

DragonSong

She started a bit, not expecting for the man to still be there, let alone to address her a second time. Her eyes flicked up and she looked at him warily for a moment.

But...he seemed sincere. She didn't really get that sense of predator from him that she'd come to expect from men asking her back to their lodgings.

Huh.

She nodded slowly. "That...sounds nice. I don't have a place to stay yet, thank you for the invitation." Where was the harm? If he pulled something she knew she could defend herself. And if he didn't, she at least had the potential for good drink and some conversation.

Zero

Back when he had first infiltrated human society Tatsu wouldn't have understood the wariness or distrust that flickered within Tara's expression. Females of his kind never had any reason to fear males, but through the years he'd learned that humans worked much differently. Even in Serendipity where men and women were considered equals, females still had reason to fear men. Especially strange men they didn't know.

"It is truly my pleasure, Miss Tara. I do not always have the opportunity to enjoy such talented company. It was not an exaggeration when I said your music was the most beautiful I had heard in some time." He offered her his arm, like a proper gentleman. "Shall we?"

DragonSong

Tara couldn't help giggling a bit as she took the offered arm. "Well thank you, Mister Drake. Really, I'm glad you liked it so much."

Smiling a little lopsidedly, she tilted her head at him and questioned in an almost teasing tone, "You sure you're not some sort of lord? You certainly act like one, y'know."

Zero

"I am quite certain I am not of noble birth. Must one be a lord to have good manners? I am afraid the truth is far more mundane and uninteresting. My family raised me to speak and act honorably, at all times. It is a virtue I have always and will always carry with me." His people had what might be considered fairly rigid codes of behavior. Tatsu may be far removed from his own kind, but he thought it would have been an insult to their memory not to maintain his morals.

With her arm in his, he strolled along the street towards their destination, which was arguably the most luxurious business of its type in the area. Wealthy merchants tended to be the predominant patrons - men and women looking to escape larger, busier cities for a short time.

"How long have you been a travelling entertainer? If I may ask - of course I understand if you are reluctant to discuss personal matters with a stranger. I just find myself curious about you. Such talent for a young woman. I was especially impressed by the magic infused with your art." It was subtle magic, but potent given his easy surrender to it!

DragonSong

Apparently he'd taken her teasing literally, which was actually rather charming. She swallowed a chuckle and nodded along as he spoke. It was a nice way of looking at things, if not very practical in her opinion.

She started slightly when he mentioned her magic, a little surprised. "You could tell?" she asked- perhaps a little redundantly. "Are you a mage then?" She'd never met anyone else who could "feel" her magic unless they had a knack for it themselves.

"Oh, and I've been doing this a while. Since I was about sixteen," she answered his question almost as an afterthought.

Zero

"Oh yes, I could tell. Your magic is subtle and sublime." Tatsu didn't really confirm that he was a mage, because he really didn't consider himself one. Humans were mages. He simply was. "I must admit that you had me quite captivated. That does not happen very often. It made me curious to learn more about you."

He looked out over the ocean, clearly visible from the street they walked along. The Moonlit Villa was also sitting proudly overlooking the coast.

Tags: