Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

In The Midst of a Glen (DragonSong)

Started by Darcy, November 07, 2016, 08:46:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darcy

Traversing the continent had proved to be more difficult for Elias than he had initially thought. One could only travel so fast with a bad leg, and a donkey who didn't always want to do what she was told. Still, Lady Luck had seemed to take a liking to Elias. He'd made it through a good portion of Connlaoth without any misfortunes, and had even found a kind older man to lead him into Serendipity.

That was when his fortunes seemed to come to an end. The plan was to go to Arca, sell his wares, and then maybe stay a while and see if the city suited him. Several days and, unbeknownst to him, wrong turns later, Elias found himself with two options. Follow a path into the Draconi forest, or turn back the way he came.

He stood there a while, leaning against Miss Sue, his donkey, for support. The forest didn't seem too intimidating, he'd crossed part of Connlaoth with a civil war after all, what could be scarier than that?

"Well Miss Sue," He said, patting her side, "No point in goin' back now! Sure as I'm standing here now, we'll find Arca on the other side of this forest! If not, well then I hope wherever we end up, I can get a good soft bed for a night, and you, a nice warm place to sleep."

Taking her lead, Elias led the way down the path into the forest. The going was slow, and just over an hour in, Elias found that the path was growing narrower, and the forest wilder. He'd often have to clear debris from the path in order for Miss Sue to get the cart past.

It was day two in the forest when they lost the cart. The path had ended, so they went off road, when the axle broke, rendering it basically useless. Sitting down on the back of the cart, Elias put his head in his hands. Sure, they could continue without it. He'd just have to leave stuff behind. Mostly things he was going to sell. He had two small trunks with hats in there, not to mention some of his other crafting supplies. Luckily Miss Sue had some saddlebags he could pack, so he fit what he could, after putting in his essentials of course, and they set out into the forest.

"This forest doesn't like us so much, huh?" He said out loud to himself. He stuck close to Miss Sue, keeping an eye out for any creatures that might pose a threat, now that he was deeper into the forest.

The dread that comes from being alone in the woods started to dissipate when Elias and Miss Sue came across a little glen in the woods. Something about it just felt peaceful. In fact, the pair of foxes sunning themselves in the grass were the first animals he'd seen in awhile, which in itself was comforting. Perhaps most exciting, was the pond. He'd been running low on water, and Miss Sue for sure needed more to drink. Limping heavily, he lead her over to the pond, letting her drink while he sat down in the grass.

Shifting to a more comfortable position, Elias checked out his reflection in the pond. He ran his hand along the short hair that had started growing back on his head and sighed. Keeping up appearances on the road was hard.

"Hey Miss Sue, I think I'm starting to get as fuzzy as you are!" He said, turning to smile at her. But she'd wandered up off up stream a ways. For a moment, Elias considered going after her, but shrugged it off. He knew she wouldn't wander far. For now though, he could use a bit of a wash.

Having taken off his boots, cloak, tunic, and rolling his pants up past the knees, Elias uses his cane to help himself to his feet. Still aching from a long days walk, he slowly makes his way into the pond, up to his knees. Scooping up water in his hands, he begins to wash off the dirt of a few days travels, in the relative bliss of the glen.

DragonSong

She heard the footsteps approaching long before she saw any signs of strangers in her woods. Still, the sound sent her skittering off the patch of shore she'd been sunning herself on to dive down toward the bottom of her pond where she could observe unnoticed.

As the two strange creatures came into view she tilted her head, curiosity captured. Lula blinked, particularly fascinated by the two-legged animal that had a bit of a hitch to its step. The other creature she could compare to a deer, or the rare horse she'd seen wandering through the trees, but this...

It looked like her. Well, not like her, exactly, but more like her than any other animals she'd met. Unconsciously she found herself edging toward the surface, trying to get a better look.

Once the creature was in the water though she spooked again, squeaking and shooting to the other side of the pond- what she deemed to be a relatively safe distance- and keeping herself hidden in the clustering reeds and cattails.

"What are you?" she called, hoping she sounded braver than she felt. "What are you doing here?"

Darcy

"What are you? What are you doing here?"

Hearing someone else speak was the last thing Elias had expected, considering that he hadn't seen anyone else when he'd entered the glen. Startled, he took a few steps backwards towards shore, only to fall off balance and into the pond. Elias was not proud of the string of expletives he uttered when he hit the water, especially because it hit him that it had been a woman's voice that had asked the question.

Both irritated and a little self conscious, he wrapped his arms around his chest, so he felt a little less shirtless.

"You might do well not to shout at folks while you're hiding, I might have died of fright!" He snapped back across the pond. He frowned when he heard his tone. That wasn't nice. Considering the other person hadn't shown themselves, they were probably just as nervous as he was.

"Come on out and talk to me. I'm Elias." He replied, softly. As soon as he said his name, Elias realized that he had been asked what he was, not who he was. It was a bit of an odd question, but what harm was there in answering? "I... uh, as far as what I am, right now I'm a little bit lost, but normally I'm a hatter."

DragonSong

Lula squeaked again and ducked a little further under the water when he fell and shouted, startled. She didn't recognize the words he used- was he speaking a foreign language?

With a soft huff, she peered out through the plants again and bit her lip when he snapped at her- she was reasonably sure the creature was a "he", at any rate.

"Elias..." she repeated quietly. She was still nervous, but she supposed it would only be polite to show herself. Carefully, she unfolded herself from behind the reeds and straightened up, still standing in the shallows next to the bank.

She was bare, arms wrapped loosely around her middle as she tilted her head at him curiously from across the pond. "Hat...er," she repeated slowly. She frowned. "What...is a hatter? Why are you..." She trailed off and gestured at him vaguely.

Darcy

Elias could hardly believe it when a woman emerged from within the reeds across the pond. She appeared to be maybe a few years younger than him, and he was positive she wasn't human. As startling as that was, what concerned him at the moment was that she was definitely not as dressed as he would have liked.

Slowly standing up, Elias kept his arms around his chest, and tried not to look directly at the stranger, to save himself, and her, some embarrassment.

"What...is a hatter? Why are you..."

He caught the meaning of her second question when she gestured to him. His face flushed a bit, he already regretted his current state of undress, and the fact that he'd fallen down.

"Uh, Hatters make and sell hats. You know, for wearing. I make all kinds. Even made one for Miss Sue," He explained, gesturing to where his donkey was grazing on some grass. "I'm uh, like this because I've been walking through the woods for a while. Thought I'd freshen up. Didn't want to get my shirt wet." He rubbed the back of his neck and looked down into the water.

"Do you mind if I put my shirt back on, Miss...?"

DragonSong

"Shirt?" She blinked at yet another foreign word. "I- I don't understand. Why are you here?"

Her curiosity was getting her best of her. She took a few steps forward, out onto the surface of the pond. Her feet sank a few inches into the water, then stopped as though she stood on solid ground. Her arms dropped as she grew slightly more comfortable and she tilted her head again.

"I am not Miss," she informed him bluntly. "Lula. I am Lula. What is a hat?"

Darcy

He took a few steps back as she stepped closer to him.  He'd talk to her, sure, but not closer than this until he was more sure she was safe. Despite the fact he knew she wasn't quite human, she seemed more curious than a threat, which was relieving. Still, he didn't want to get too comfortable. A little part of him was excited to explain to her about hats, though.

"Lula, huh? You ask a lot of questions," He replied, glancing up at her. "I don't mean to be here. I mean to be in Arca. Which, I hope is through here. If not, well, we'll see where I end up."

He shuffled nervously. He wanted to put his tunic back on, but he didn't want to turn his back on her. That would be rude. Instead, he slowly backed up out of the lake, and just past the shore to where his clothes were. He kept talking as he grabbed his tunic and put it on.

"And as for what a hat is, it goes on your head. Keeps the sun out of your eyes, or keeps your head warm. Sometimes you wear them just because they look nice. See, look," He pointed at Miss Sue. She still had on her straw hat, though he noticed the flower he'd tucked into it the other day had fallen off. "Miss Sue's got on a hat. Looks good on her, huh? Used to be a flower in it, but that must have fallen out."

DragonSong

Lula frowned as she watched him, settling into a cross-legged position on he surface of the pond. "Hat," she repeated, looking to the other creature. She smiled and whistled a soft note, intruding herself to Miss Sue and attempting to put her at ease.

"But why are you here?" she asked yet again. "In this place... I've never seen anyone like you before. You are not a creature of the forest."

Darcy

Miss Sue turned and looked at Lula when she whistled. She walked a few steps in her direction, before going back to doing her own thing. Elias sat cross legged on the ground when Lula took a seat on the pond. This was third time she'd asked him about why he was here. He wasn't really sure what she was looking for. Though it was probably his fault for not being clear.

"Well, no. I'm not from the forest. I just ended up here. I left my home, and I ended up here instead. I won't be staying long. Just a night. Or less, maybe." He frowned, and picked at some grass. "Hey uh, can you stop doing that? Sitting on the water. It's making me uncomfortable."

DragonSong

She tilted her head. "If you mean no harm, you are welcome in this place as long as you'd like." She blinked at his request, confused.

"I- yes, I suppose I could..." Frowning slightly, she got to her feet and moved closer to his side of the pond before skittering sideways towards Miss Sue an giving awkwardly at the bank. "Is...this better?"

The request still struck her as odd, but she supposed she could humor him- it seemed she was serving as host, a task that was entirely new to her.

Darcy

He scooted back a bit once she moved closer, but once she was on the bank, he relaxed a bit. Closer was not better, but at least she wasn't sitting on the water anymore. Miss Sue wandered over to Lula, and nudged her with her snout.

"That's better, thank you," Elias said, still avoiding eye contact. "I don't mean harm. As far as staying, I'm not sure. You live here, I think. Don't want to intrude. Not that I don't appreciate the invite to stay." He rubbed the back of his neck and frowned. He felt bad saying no. Why did she have to tell him it was okay to stay? Would it be a bad thing? This place was peaceful enough, and honestly a little real company to talk to wouldn't be bad. Even if they were a strange woman who lived in a pond. Mind made up, he cleared his throat before speaking again.

"Sorry. I guess I'll be here a while, if that's still alright?"

DragonSong

She smiled softly and dipped her head. "Of course. Do no harm to this forest and no harm will come to you in it, that is all I ask," she said demurely, standing again and make her way toward a cluster of wildflowers that grew right up to the edge of the pond. She settled herself among them, head tilted and eyes flicking curiously toward her odd guest every so often.