Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

The Red Peak [Marakai Trin]

Started by AevumEternity, November 23, 2016, 02:55:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AevumEternity

The large, tropical leaves of the Yoreiqi rainforest bobbed steadily as rain splattered from the heavens above. Upon traveling through this portion of the forest, one could see sulfurous smoke curling up from rivers of lava that cut steaming scars through the green foliage. Other then the ambient hiss of rainfall and volcanic belch of nearby magma, it was unnervingly silent- not even a distant birdcall could be heard...

Nonetheless, a massive creature moved through the forest, following the river of fire toward the great mountain from which it came from. Large, feline head was held low, like that of a prowling predator as the armored manticore trekked silently onward- eerily black eyes staring ahead. It's very mane bristling like a thousand needles whilst the whip like tail silently snaked behind, barb glinting rather threateningly in the dull light.
It's large maw parted, drinking in all the scents: the toxic fumes, sweet scent of burning bark, fire reborn as liquid, even the rain that soaked all- but still it could not locate that distinctive scent for which it hunted, that of a dragon. Perhaps the villagers had lied-? No, not under the agony she had placed them under, some had tried but all had admitted to sighting a great beast about this mountain... So... Where was he?

The manticore let our an audible sigh of annoyance, shutting its mouth to conceal somewhat stained ivory fangs," Where~ Where are you?" It seemed to sing idly- black gaze flickering across the wall of jungle... Where aaaaaare you~?

Marakai Trin

Muttering and grumbling could be heard in the distance, followed by a loud crash as a massive sword crashed through a particularly thick tree.

"Bloody jungle. Bloody damp..." Marakai muttered, stepping through the gap he had made. He was a massive man, just shy of seven feet tall, and very broad. His black under tunic was soaked through with sweat, and what parts of his body came in contact with his blsck, hardened leather armor were uncomfortably adhered to it. His black hair, streaked with red, was plastered to his forehead and the back of his neck.

Looking up from his feet, his red eyes flared brightly for a moment as he caught a scent. Instantly, Marak stopped moving, senses on high alert as the smell of corruption and blood flooded his nostrils.

'Something's here....' he thought, straining his senses further. Marak though he could hear a sing-song voice, and turned his head toward it, his massive sword following.

'....what matter of beast stalks me?' came the thought.

AevumEternity

Pausing short, massive talons digging into the soft earth, the Manticore opens its maw again... There. Its pitch black eyes widen slightly, the rubbery lips curling into a malicious sneer. The great armored flanks contacting as it exhales- shrinking, black mist curling from its skin, scales flaking to the ground-

Aev'iterna ran laced her fingers through her silver hair, sighing deeply as she stretched her human body, back cracking slightly. Her mouth opening in a loud yawn. The void-like eyes flickered warily around, briefly wondering if she should bother looking for clothing- damn sentients and their damnable sense of decency, it was disgusting.
The demon decides it was just not worth it, looking at her hands briefly, frowning- squishy and pink... Well, whatever kept their guard down. Focusing upon the sound of movement, hugging her chest and ducking her head before slowly sinking to her knees- this time letting out a low, broken cry," Where are you..?" somehow she managed to sound more pitiful then she felt in this form.

Marakai Trin

Abruptly the smell of blood disappeared. Smells didn't do that - they could fade, become weak, but they didn't just cease to be. The mind of a 400 year old predator worked this over and over, going through the possibilities, a short but intense internal argument.

And then he heard it. Voice, softer. Inflection, different. Almost obviously artificial in its attempt. An obvious ruse.

"I am no dullard, creature - you cannot trick me with your mimicry," he said, staring straight ahead, through the trees, at where he suspected the voice came from. He took a single step forward, and brought his massive sword to rest against his shoulder.

"Show yourself, beast. I will not be stalked. I am not in the mood. It's bloody hot, I'm covered in God's knows what from this infernal jungle, and so help me, if you're worth anything as a snack, you might want to turn right around and chase something a little smaller than you."

Red eyes flashed irritably. "Step forth, or leave my presence."

AevumEternity

So much for theatrics- ugh. Sitting upon her knees stubbornly, she crossed her arms calling out," Give me some credit for trying," standing poutily, she took several steps forward- quickly popping from the foliage no more then four feet from him. Meeting the red eyes with her own souless black ones, her lips curl into a frown.

" Care to explain what a man like yourself does with a sword?" Cocking her head to one side, she arches a slender eyebrow, locks pouring over her shoulder like liquid silver. Her stance was rather relaxed, one hip slightly pushed to the side in a casual manner- still looking slightly upset that her masterful acting had been all for naught.

Needless to say, this creature had no scent of her own- but for the undeniable scent of fresh blood that seemed to perfume the air every time she spoke- sickeningly sweet.

Marakai Trin

Marakai was momentarily taken aback when the unearthly woman finally stepped from the brush. For an instant, he thought she appeared familiar - that hair, that porcelain skin. But that ended when he saw those eyes, inky, black and deep. He was quickly able to catch himself.

"When you live in a world where my kind are used as steeds and beasts of burden, you take steps to fit in. A sword is a weapon of a man." He brought said sword down to rest, it's point digging lightly into the soft earth. "Besides, I'd rather not cause a panic every time I have to defend myself. People tend to run in fear when I from what they don't understand."

He eyed this woman, this creature, red eyes staring into black ones.

"And of you...why do you appear before me? And without clothing or equipment? If you are stalking me, you are woefully under prepared."

AevumEternity

" First, humanity can take their sense of decorum and shove it back where it belongs," She answers with a snort, seeming to roll her eyes briefly," second, you're probably right about being unprepared- maybe to fight you, but I'm not here to do that," the demon idly gestured as if brushing the thoughts away.

Once more, her gaze flickers to him, offering him a tiny smile," That is.. Rather sad, truth be told- having your race enslaved in such a way. But why don't you simply destroy place after place in venegeance? It would not be difficult~"

Marakai Trin

"Perhaps I spoke incorrectly - they are not my race. Dragons, yes, but they are not of my Clan....which reminds me..."

Marakai took a quick step backward, and quickly brought his crystalline great sword up, level with Aev'iternas nose, it's tip hovering perhaps an inch away.

"....you obviously knew what I was. Where I was. If you are not here for combat, then why did you seek me out? I have not the time for idle pleasantries. Why are you here?"

Truth be told, he had thought occasionally about simply wreaking havoc on those armies that kept other Dragons as beasts, but to be honest, those creatures were below him. He knew it seemed callous, but he was of the Aerie Clan. He was a Dragon, yes, but he was also a man.

Also, wanton destruction was - usually - not his way. But she didn't need to know that.

AevumEternity

Her eyes focused upon the blade, and rather fearlessly, the young woman reached upward, grasping both sides of the broadsword with both hands- fingers sliding along the sharpened edges rather delicately- admiring the work, or so it seemed," Well- much like you, I have a human form, but also do not-" she began idly,"- but unlike you, I'm essentially a toddler when it comes to creatures such as you and I- there is much for me to learn."

She pauses, her next few words made her want to bite her own tongue off, but offering a small smile and shrug, she chides," I was seeking you out as a mentor of sorts on how to survive."

Marakai Trin

Ah. Great. There it was. A fledging form-changer seeking to learn how to fit in and coexist - in one way or another - with the lesser races around him.

He lowered his sword, and considered her for a moment, one brow raised as he mulled it over. Truth be told, perhaps he could use some company. It'd been far too long since he'd had any earnest interaction with anything more than a barkeeper. But at the same time, he had no idea if he could trust this creature.

Yet, it wasn't as if he had anything to lose. Not anymore.

"......well, then, what do I call you? And what are you, honestly? You are no Clan Dragon, that much is obvious. I could sense a heavy corruption before you appeared before me, that I have not felt in my travels."

AevumEternity

It took all her effot not to simply change there and then, pounce- get this charade over with. But alas, she could probably use him, it had been several moons since her encounter with a demon hunter on a frozen tundra that she had used as a source of.. Warmth. She had planned on sparing the man but- he seemed displeased for her feeding on the first village they entered and had to be promptly... Silenced when he drew his blade on her.

Releasing his blade, letting it drop from her fingers, she once more crosses her arms over her chest," Well- I'm a demon, I hope that much was obvious-" she shrugs, offering a smirk," But more specifically a creature known as a manticore~" she shrugs gently, flashing him another sweet smile.

Marakai Trin

"I'm afraid I'm not familiar with demons, or any variations of them." He turned slightly to his left, lifting his sword and plunging it into the earth, nearly two feet into the soil. He leaned on it, relaxing slightly, and then mimicked her stance, crossing his arms over his broad chest.

"So, then, what is it you wish to know? I'm afraid I'm not much of a teacher, but I suppose I can share in my experiences."

He wondered where this was going to go. He was still open to the fact that this could be a ruse, an attempt to get him to let his guard down. And he would let his guard down, even if it was only to invite an attack. Let her think his guard was down, and that he was defenseless. Even unarmed, he wasn't helpless - the thrashed corpse of his brother could attest to that, even if it was only so much dust now.

But whether this was a ruse, or a legitimate attempt to gain an understanding of how to coexist, he could sense there was something else coming. He had to anticipate it.

AevumEternity

Watching his sword sink into the ground, the demon simply shrugs gently," I would like to observe, if possible-" she answers softly, swaying from side to side, shifting her weight from one hip to the other. Arching a white eyebrow," If that is alright, I am fully capable off caring for myself, I assure- but it's nice to know I don't have to slaughter every village I enter."

Once more, she tilted her head to the other side, almost as if exposing her neck in a subtle challenge. Her nostrils flared briefly as if very much aware of his lure, her cherry lips curling back into a smirk to reveal slightly sharpened canines.

" Monsters like company every so often, yes?"

Marakai Trin

Marakai gave a slight smirk at that. "Indeed. Well, I don't know what observations you can make, especially not here, in this Gods-forsaken jungle. I have little idea of where I - we - should head to next. Have you any idea what the lay of the land is like? Usually, I would simply fly above, but I did not wish to cause
...a panic."

He noticed her answering stance, reading her body language as an answer to his ruse. She'd apparently played her share of traps before, just as well as him. He wondered to himself, exactly what was it she could want to learn?

Ah, that was it. He'd tossed the possibility around before, actually seriously considered it, but it was becoming a more and more prominent thought.

The likelihood of this just being a more and more complex weave of lies and traps designed to lure him into a bloody fate was increasing with every sentence they exchanged. He smiled broadly, his teeth appearing briefly as a normal humans, before separating and narrowing, lengthening slightly into dagger-like fangs. He caught himself before he fully lost his form, aand after only a second they returned to their previous form.

But his wide smile continued. He would accept the challenge. He would walk right into her trap.

And he would relish it.

"In any case, before we go traipsing through the jungle, you might want to obtain some clothing. While I can on some level appreciate the human female form, the first rule for people like us is not to stand out. Being completely naked in the middle of a village is not how you go about doing that."

AevumEternity

She rolled her eyes- or seemed to- it was rather impossible to tell with the utter lightlessness of her eyes," Ah... Very well," she mutters, pausing her gentle sway and catching his smirk- the slght transformation- it made her predatory instincts instantly flare, almost territorially. She simply smiled an almost sickly sweet smile in response.

Looking about, she seemed rather lost- the abundance of giant leaves were an option- but an extremely temporary one," How about we worry about that once we get to civilization, hm?" Chiding lightly, Aev'iterna paused before suddenly sticking her hand out awkwardly, as if to greet him," My name is Aev'iterna, by the way- I'm afraid you will not receive my full name as those who practice particular arts would love to invoke it."

Marakai Trin

Marakai smiled slightly, and bent down a little to take her small hand and grasp it with his large one. "Well, Aev'iternas, I am Marakai Trin. You may call me Marak, if it suits you." He gave her hand a short but firm shake before releasing it, and taking up his sword again, pulling it from the earth. Nothing stuck to its clean, crystalline surface, no moisture and no soil.

Raising it up, he brought it's flat, adamantine side to rest against his shoulder, his grip on its hilt loose. "So...as I said, I am in unfamiliar territory. Do you know where a settlement would be located, so that we could obtain some proper clothing for you? Or must I transform and scout from the sky?"

AevumEternity

Briefly hwr mind to the thoroughly ruined village she had left in ruins no more then ten miles away- boy would that be something to explain to her new mentor. Admiring the sword in silence for a moment, she spun lightly upon her heel," I believe once we reach the coast, we'll find a village or so, maybe a port. Shall we Marak?"

Theatrically she motioned to the distant blue band hidden behind thick trees- only visible through the cleft left by the oozing magma. For a moment she paused, if they left this island- depending on how much destruction she could 'convince' him to sow, the bounty upon his dragon head could spike dramatically. Hmm~ all the more reason to linger, she supposed.

Aev'iterna briefly glances back at him, gently motioning for him to come as she skips into the foliage.

Marakai Trin

Heaving a sigh, Marakai began following after her, making sure to keep his gaze on her at all times. Occasionally he would bring his sword to bear, cutting a swath through the thick trees and brush, but he always made sure to keep an eye on her at all times.

After a time, he noticed the trees begin to thin, and the damp soil and brush gradually have way to sand and rocks. He stopped for a moment, staring at the sea, lost in a memory for a moment.

It was a scene like this one, him standing over a short cliff overlooking the white shoreline of his adopted home, his mate by his side. He remembered looking down on her diminutive form, smiling sadly as he took in her long silver cascades of hair, trailing over a soft bodysuit of soft, silver leather. Her elfin face upturned, looking back at him sadly, silver eyes full of moisture.

That was the last truly happy memory he had, and here he was now, looking over the sea with a sad smile, momentarily forgetting himself in the last time he had seen his beloved, more than twenty years before.

AevumEternity

Aev'iterna calmly pushed her hair behind her ears- casting him a sidelong look- he seemed lost in thought. From the faintest movements of his face, she could see pain, it caused her to smile slightly. But instead of simply lingering on it, the demon approaching the edge of the cliff until her toes curled over the edge, stone crumbling away slightly.

Looking first left, the right- having to hold her locks bahind her ears with her hands- she took a deep breath- scenting a distant smell of cooing smoke and fish- just North of them. Without speaking a word, she pointed idly down the beach- simply waiting for him to snap from his memories.

Marakai Trin

After a moment, red eyes shifted to his side, noticing Aev'iternas movement, watching her point to the north. He had also noticed the various scents of civilization, but at the time they were lost to him, while he was lost in his musings. He took them in again now, and calmly stepped off the short shelf of rock, landing lightly on the sand below.

"A small fishing village. I don't know how to get you in there without drawing any attention to you, and stealth isn't my strong point....let's get closer and see what we're dealing with - perhaps then we can figure out a plan." He turned and looked up at her, carefully training his gaze on her face.

Tags: