Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Within the Snow

Started by WallyD, February 19, 2017, 06:43:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WallyD

Asta was surprised that the man was not tired but she didn't bother him about it.

"To make arrows we do it outside normally by the fire, but I'm assuming that your better than most of us so I'll take you to the Fire Tent. That's when most of our tool and items are made. Come." Asta said, leaving the tent and walking to one of the outer tents. There was one person inside, he didn't stop his work so Asta didnt bother him. She turned back to Shageon.

"Here is best. Do you need help with anything else?"

excitement

"Nope. Thank you and good night." He glances at the other occupant of the tent then gets to work, systematically making arrows with the efficiency and single mindedness of a machine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WallyD

That night there was a little snow storm. In the morning, the other members of the tribe had started to melt the snow. Asta yawned and got out of her warm bed. It was early in the morning, around 4 o'clock, she quickly got changed and put her hair into a braided bun, and collecting all of her trapping equipment. Asta then opened the tent flap, walking over to Zeek's, looking inside for her new student.

"Rise and shine, we have work to do. Traps take time so we get hands on stuff then we practice back here." Asta said, stepping inside Zeek's tent.

excitement

Shageon wakes up and looks around, not recognizing his surroundings until he remembers he's a trainee of the tribe. He looks at the darkness outside the tent and says "rise and shine? There's no light" he's used to staying up as late as he likes and waking up as late as he likes, not having anyone else dictate his schedule

WallyD

"The sun has not yet tip over the horizon. The prey will be waking up now, best to get them when still early." Asta said walking over. She nudged Shageon with her foot. "Come hurry. If we do the traps now, we could eat when we get back."

excitement

Shageon stands up and grabs a small pack, his bow, his quiver, and the hunting knife that was right next to his sleeping roll and then walks past Asta and stretches "okay I'm ready" he says, still tired but now a bit awake

WallyD

The walk was long and cold, but the fur blocked most of it. Asta had led them to the frozen sea. She bent down and pointed to a small hole.

"There be sea weasels. Small, scurry like rats, but easy to trick. Come." She stood back up and walked quietly to the hole. "See, the ice chips are fresh and the water has yet to get a thin layer of ice, meaning the sea weasel will be coming back for air. If we hurry, we might get it."

Asta turned back around, moving swiftly across the thick ice. She stopped and pulled out a bundle of sticks from her bag, placing four sharp sticks into the ice. Asta then grabbed a bone ground spike that as attached to the bundle and pulled. The bundle rised, the twine tightened, pulling the sticks together into a caged box. Asta then stabbed the bone into the ice and looked back at Shageon.

"Let's go wait."

excitement

Shageon nods and walks over to a suitable hiding place. He pulls out a scetch book from his bag and after flipping through several pages worth of maps, tracks, and pictures of animals with descriptions he starts drawing the trap, doing a sort of bad job and then he writes some notes and after making sure it won't smudge, he closes the sketch book

WallyD

Asta placed some sweet berries inside and hid with Shageon. About ten minutes passed before the water stirred. Asta watched it closely as a little nose popped out, smelling the air. It dove back under and then came back up. The sea weasel looked like a weasel with no fur and webbed feet. It skittered across the ice and smelt around the trap, it then ran back to the water and dove under. Asta raised her hand.

"Wait for it. He'll be back." She was right. Soon the weasel came back and ran into the cage. As soon as she stepped in, the sticks bent, making it snap shut. Asta dashed forward and scooped up the cage. The weasel was failing about, hissing and shaking. Asta opened to door and grabbed it quickly. The weasel was biting her but with all her fur he couldn't get skin. Asta smiled.

"There. Now lets set up the rest."

excitement

"The rest? And why don't we just off it now before it scratches you?" Shageon walks over and inspects how the trap held the weasel and nods appreciatively "this is great marksmanship well done." He puts the sketchbook back into the bag and pulls out his knife, prepared to kill the weasel and prepare its meat

WallyD

Asta shrugged and snaps its neck with a flick of her wrist I

"The rest. As in the other traps we have to put out." She said, tying the sea weasel to her belt. "We skin it at home. It is easier."

excitement

"I see. Can I set up the next trap?" He puts away the knife "also when are we taking a breakfast break?"

WallyD

"We lay the morning traps first. Normally I would get up earlier in the morning, set, come back to eat, then head out again, but with me training you, we start out small. I have brought jerky, so that will hold you off for now. Here." Asta handed him a pouch. "That's the jerky, and yeah. It's best if you show me what you know so I don't have to start over with an amateur."

excitement

Shageon takes a medium sized bite of the jerky then says "Thank you." Without swallowing first then continues "so where should I put the trap?" Shageon sets about resetting the trap that Asta just used

WallyD

Asta nods to a spot a little closer to the water hole.
"There be good. After u set this one, we will continue to the other sites. Since this cage is flimsy, we will check it on the way back."

excitement

(Ooc: sorry my laptop won't turn on)
"Sounds like a plan" Shageon says as he puts the trap on the specified spot "you have the berries to put in? And what do you call those berries?"

WallyD

Asta blinked and handed some of the blueish pink berries to the man.

"They're rare, seeing how cold it is here. They are Jaz'ola berries but I just call them Honey berries. Super sweet and bright colored. Attracts many wild animals." Asta said watching Shageon place them in.

[OOC: It's cool dude. Figured that there might have been a problem.]

excitement

Shageon carefully takes more notes in the ledger/sketchbook and finishes setting them in. He closes it back up and puts it in his pack. "Lead the way" he stands back up
[OOC: once you get tired of taking the lead I think I've got a storyline that I can lead so just let me know...]

WallyD

Asta nodded and led Shageon to the other sites, the sun slowly rised in the sky, giving the snowy land little light. Asta showed Shageon a common trap, a net covered in the snow, the rope tied to bundle of trees, so.ehow still alive. After showing him a couple more, Asta let Shageon take led.

[OOC: That'll be amazing! I hope this was enough to help start it.]

excitement

[OOC: more than enough!]
Shageon flips to a page in the ledger and says "there's a nice hunting ground off to the left..." he mutters "or at least there was 25 years ago" he continues speaking normally "let's see if we can hit anything on our way back to the tribe... are we going to the tribe?" He leads the way to the hunting ground

Tags: