Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Constellations

Started by visualspice, April 29, 2017, 02:28:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jounin64

Toma gave his dancing partner a concerned look. The hesitation after her reassurance was...well not reassuring. Something was amiss with her, but it was no right for him to pry. He knew nothing of this woman, and even logic dictated to stay out of it, he couldn't help but want to aid her in whatever ails her. It seems the spell of beauty is the most dangerous, for not even I can negate it. He mentally mused to himself.

Toma's face relaxed, so that was the nostalgia she was experiencing. "Ah, I am from the mountains as well, just the opposite side of Connlaoth." Toma chuckled as his own comment. "You know, I could request the musicians to play something more to your liking."

visualspice

As they danced it seemed Kentamin and Ethalind were in close enough range to see Toma and Margaery well. Though they couldn't hear one or the other's conversation, Kentamin couldn't help but attach onto Ethalind's cousin visually. He knew it wouldn't do well to breed any sort of jealousy, but there it was. And who was he to even consider a lady, even for a dance or two, as his own?

"Yes, I suppose it would only be polite to ask her to dance at some point, as well," and he nodded, refocusing his attention on Ethalind.
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

glorilyss

Margaery no longer allowed herself to be distracted by anyone else, chiding herself silently for her poor manners. She was at a fabulous ball, she was dancing with the heir to a duchy, and best of all, her mother hadn't found her yet. The night could get better, she was sure, but wasn't quite sure how it could do so.

The young woman caught back onto their conversation from her own muddle of thoughts. At Toma's confession that he, too, came from mountains - though not her softer, admittedly more temperate peaks - her eyes widened slightly in surprise. A moment later, a smile curved the corner of her mouth. "Ah, but of course! Ahjfeld is all the way on the northern border. It must be much colder there most of the time." When he offered to redirect the musicians' performance, she glanced down, shaking her head slightly and feeling the faint warmth of a blush steal up her throat. It seemed so silly, that an offer for such a small thing should strike her.

"Oh, no, I'm sure I'll be fine." As she spoke, she could hear the strains of music winding down as the song ended and the musicians paused for snatched refreshment. Finding her own feet slowly until they stopped, she leaned slightly against the warmth of the hand on the small of her back, the better to peep up at Toma from her much shorter height. "I do thank you for the dance, sir, but I think I could use some air. If you may excuse me..?"

[ooc: boop sorry if I ended the song too soon?]

Moccasin

As the music died down, Ethalind offered Kentamin a grin, before shifting her feet quirkily to the last breaths of the song. She glanced over at Margaery, raising her eyebrows as she saw her drift away from Toma. "How awkward," she muttered to herself, shrugging as she looked back at Kentamin.

visualspice

He followed her gaze as well, eyes falling upon her cousin before he looked back to Ethalind.
"Do you need to go to your cousin? I won't take offense if you wish to join her." He wasn't sure if her expression was one of worry or not. But he didn't want to seem to eager to go to her. After all, the night was still young- even though it was proposed this would be one of the shorter nights for a dance.
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

visualspice

A song had ended as Duke Edward Draven lead his wife towards the dance floor. He was smiling warmly, keeping her close to his side as he gave a gentle rub to her arm.

"You look like you might fall asleep before the song even begins," he murmured, a part of him itching to steal a kiss but keeping back. It wouldn't do any good to be so openly intimate at such an engagement. His eyes went from her towards the orchestra.

"Hopefully they'll play something more lively."

Moccasin

Ethalind looked back at Kentamin oddly, before scoffing. "She'll be fine." She shook her head, staring sullenly at the orchestra, which at last began to play a sublime waltz laden with strange undertones of darkness. Ethalind swayed wordlessly to the music, resting her hand gently on Kentamin's shoulder as the ballroom spun relentlessly.

visualspice

At the end of their dance, Kentamin excused himself. He was feeling a bit worn out from all of this dancing, not because he was out of shape- but it was actually making him mentally fatigued. He took a moment to step aside, watch the others dancing while gathering his wits again.

He wasn't even that old. He frowned at the thought, eyes studying the crowd before he noticed the young, supposedly sickly woman from earlier whom he had shared a dance with. He noticed she was still alone and took it upon himself to approach her.

"Taking a rest from dancing, too?" he asked, approaching her with a polite nod.

DragonSong

"Oh!" Once again, Lily started as the same man approached her. She cast him a quick, almost baffled look--she'd been sort of a pity dance, hadn't she? Why bother coming to speak to her again?--then she remembered herself and summoned a politely, courtly smile and a demure nod. "Ah, yes. I'm afraid I don't know this one as well."

She gestured airily to the steps of the skirts and boots whirling over the dance floor.

"And you?" She cocked her head at him slightly. "I'm sure you hardly suffer from a shortage of partners, and the night is still young, after all. Wouldn't you rather be...?" Again, she gestured vaguely in the direction of the dancing. 

visualspice

That comment caught him off guard. It was a bit of a jab, and he wasn't sure if it was meant to aid his pride or harm it. Then again, by the way she was acting shyly, it was probably a jab at her own self.

"I have danced with many acquaintances this night," he agreed. "And though I've seen my fair share of military action, I must admit I'm a bit tired." He wasn't sure why he was honest with her. Maybe because she seemed to create an atmosphere between them that it didn't matter.

He eyed her up.
"I could use a drink. Would you like me to fetch you one as well?"

DragonSong

She blinked at him. "I..."

Her eyes flickered. She knew her mother would be starting to worry by now, but...none of her family had entered the ballroom yet. Not even her little sister, who'd been "dying for some real company and a chance at dancing".

A small, less courtly smile curved at her lips. "Yes. I would like that very much. Thank you, my lord."

visualspice

He bowed and made haste to fetch them the Starlight Ball punch, which he was told was sweet but with a little bit of a tart buzz to take the edge off. It might take a few cups to get 'drunk', but the punch wasn't exactly served for that purpose...

Even if it seemed Duke Leif Arrant was glossy eyed in the corner from drink. But he had brought his own liquor and had enjoyed his fill of it, and the Duke watched as Kentamin fetched a pair of drinks and then returned to Lily's side.

Duke Arrant had never enjoyed these events. Never. And by the air radiating about him, most seemed to keep their distance from the brooding noble.

By the time Kentamin returned, the dance was changing and more mingling occured. He had to push through a few dispersing dancers before he returned to Lily's side.

"Apparently they call this the Starlight Ball punch." he offered her her cup. "They said it would be sweet." He wasn't sure he'd much care for it, but it was something, anyway.

DragonSong

Lily felt a sudden shiver up her back, almost a sense that she was being watched; "A goose walked over your grave," her governess would have said. Back when she still had a governess, of course.

She shook the feeling away and smiled at Kentamin as he returned, taking the offered cup gracefully. "Thank you." She took a slightly cautious sip, then smiled. "It is sweet." With a wry little chuckle, she added, "I'm afraid I don't have much of a head for alcohol, so something like this probably suits me perfectly."

Her eyes, which people at first always seemed to see as flat gray, had softened to something closer to shimmering silver. She reached up to brush an errant curl behind her ear, thanking her lucky stars that her hair had decided to be at least halfway manageable today.

"I know you said you're tired of dancing, but, ah...would you care to take a turn about the room with me?" She nodded to the people milling around the edges of the dance floor, then lowered her voice and added, "I feel somehow I draw more attention for being a wallflower than I do if I at least pretend to be social." The words had a distinct ring of truth, but the quirk to her lips and glint in her eyes was...playful.

"Hello."

A distinctly accented voice--Serenian, Rillaria if anyone wanted to get specific, though Connlaothians rarely seemed to care enough--cut easily through the murmur and chatter of the ballroom as a young woman dressed in a gown of icy blues and white approached a brooding Duke Arrant.

Everything about her was clearly Serenian: voice, dress, eyes, even the way she held herself was just a bit different from most of the other noblewomen she'd seen tonight. Good. Her family may be here for a union of houses, but she had no interest in letting Connlaoth think it could change her manner for its ridiculousness.

Still, Reina Bartok's smile was polite and perfectly respectful as she dipped her head to the man who seemed to be just...lurking in the corner. "Well met, sir. You're not interested in the festivities?"

She saw no reason to tiptoe around the point. Politics were exhausting, and these weren't her politics. Time to have some fun.

visualspice

She had sweet eyes. Silver. It wasn't a common color he'd seen.

"I wouldn't mind much at all," he admitted. Did he offer her an arm? They weren't really close, but he also could not recall what society dictated. But they also were enjoying their drinks. He decided not to offer and merely gestured as he moved forward for their stroll.

"It's more of mental exhaustion," he admitted. "I'm young enough my legs don't ache this young into the night."

--------------

She had hardly snuck up on Duke Arrant, in fact, his eyes were plastered to her upon her approach. It didn't take much studying to know she was foreign, and where from. The smile made it obvious she had to be bored, and also, didn't know her place around him.

And unfortunately, she was blocking his exit- for he had contemplated leaving the ball good and early. No need to stick around for these festivities for longer than he'd like.

"Balls are a formality," his voice was cold, unwelcoming. "It's not my style."

DragonSong

Lily grimaced in sympathy as she began walking. "I think I know what you mean," she murmured, glancing around. "My, ah...delicate constitution, as my mother would say, means that I don't attend all that many social events."

She took another sip of her drink. "I'll admit I'm simply not used to being around this many people. It can be...surprisingly draining." Realizing how that might sound, she winced and hurried to add, "Not that I'm truly complaining, of course. I'm very much enjoying your company at least, my lord."

"Then I don't think you're doing them right," Reina quipped back, unbothered by the duke's icy tone or his very clear "get away from me" expression. She smiled again, and extended a hand. "It's rude to cling to the wall when there are so many young ladies without a dance partner. Even just one song will clear your societal obligation, yes? So I'm doing you a favor."

Her freckles almost seemed to shimmer in the light as she cocked her head, eyes glinting. "My name is Reina. Who do I have the pleasure of accosting, ser?"

visualspice

"I understand what you mean. I must admit that is part of the reason for feeling so tired." He took a drink. It was a bit too sweet, he had to admit, but a second drink only confirmed it. "It has.. been a while since I've attended such affairs."

------

The ice never lifted. And he never once moved.
"Duke Leif Arrant of Castavar," he told her, boredly. Or perhaps, he was more annoyed. Or perhaps both.

DragonSong

She tilted her head at him, slipping a little bit closer to the wall as they walked to avoid a gaggle of younger noblewomen. "And why is that? Ah, if I may ask." She flushed a bit and took another sip of her drink in an effort to cover it.

Reina was good with ice.

"And where exactly is that? Castavar," she asked brightly, refusing to yield ground. "I imagine you could probably tell, but I'm not exactly a local, your grace."

visualspice

"The war, primarily," he thought it was obvious. "The church... ah, well those with my talents are kept very busy to deal with the problems at hand."

---

Leif knew she was a foreigner.
But fuck.

Perhaps it was best to just entertain her until the night passed, anyway. Surely not many would approve of him 'wasting time' on a foreigner. Most Dukes tried to keep closest to their own kind.

"And since you are a foreigner, my explanation would hardly be of any help."

Really, what was her game? He took another swig of his drink before realizing he was dangerously close to empty.

DragonSong

Lily blanched, then flushed, and dropped her eyes. "I--of course. I'm sorry, I should've..."

Her family really had been so secluded, out in their country estate, that honestly the reality of the war still felt rather distant to her, despite how long it had been. She winced, feeling like an absolute heel and once again reminded of how sheltered she was.

"You're, um... You're a knight?" she asked softly, not sure if that would really steer the conversation in a better direction but figuring it was worth a try.

"Oh, well that's not necessarily true." Reina twisted to lean back against the wall beside him and tilted her head. "I may not be Connlaothian, but why shouldn't I be interested in the geography? It's looking more and more likely that I'll be inheriting my family's estates, and I'd like to learn as much about our northern neighbors as I can before I'm thrown full-force into the politics of everything."

The twist to her lips was wry, almost joking, but there was the barest hint of...of something like resigned frustration in her eyes.

visualspice

"Templar," Kentamin correctly, bluntly. "We have very specific duties for our church." Need he remind? He was exhausted as such and came off irritable, though perhaps he was-
and perhaps he should have been wiser.
Then again, he was, if anything else, a snob. And despite what he had gone through so far in this god forsaken war...
You'd think he would have learned a thing or two on manners.

Perhaps it was because he was back in this rigid clothes meant for dress....

-though one would think Kentamin would be set to impress.
Yet he had no idea if he might be making this woman upset, and it seemed his eyes began to shift elsewhere- as his mind began to drift.

-----------------------

Leif listened to her words and gave an idle swish of his remaining liquid in his glass. He didn't bother to turn towards her when he said, "And is your inheritance in Castavar?"

Tags: