Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

This isn't the Citadel!? (P)(Marakai)

Started by Blink, June 22, 2017, 06:09:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blink

"You could sit on the cart." Jaela's tone not only muffled by the jacket but also hinted with a bit of sarcasm. It did sound nice to go to this little town of Pickham Grove, but Jaela knew she was already pushing her luck with how long she had been gone so far. But this didn't mean she didn't want to.

"I can't" Her eyes softened from the brim of the jacket, the remorse in her words evident.

"But..." Her eyes shifted. This was where she was torn. Jaela didn't know if it was a good idea to bring Itachi to the Citadel. She was still unsure of how Kaida would react to him because lately, she had been all over the place on an emotional scale. But then again Kaida did like smart people and Itachi was definitely one.

Opting for distraction instead Jaela laid down on the bedding and scooted a bit towards Itachi, blinking at him with large peridot eyes as her face was still covered by the neck of the jacket.

Marakai Trin

"I can't."

Itachi's face fell at those words, and for a moment, he couldn't come up with a response for her. Surely, she couldn't be expected to drop everything for the Craol. She had to have some kind of life, obviously. His men did, too, but...to them, the Craol were a job, of sorts. A paycheck.

Despite their notoriety, the Craol did what they had to do for the best of reasons. This was simply something that was kept very carefully hidden.

But then, she started to say something else, and those clear jade eyes of his darted to her as she settled down beside him. Automatically, he raised an arm to accommodate her, wrapping it around her and pulling her close.

Again, he dropped the accent. No games, here.

"But what, Jaela? If you've something else to do...by all means, do it. I won't stop you. Believe me, if could....I would, too."

He offered a small smile, and reached up with his free hand to tug down the collar of his coat, revealing her face to him.

"Just promise to me that I'll find you again."

Blink

When he pulled down the collar he would see Jaela's face was serious at his lack of accent. Something really was bothering her.

"I promise..." she whispered as she again scooted closer towards him if that were at all possible. Jaela then nuzzled her face into his neck, letting the warmth of his body radiated onto hers. By now she was quite happy he offered her the jacket or else she truly would be a popsicle laying there.

She could have fallen asleep like this, easily the warmth of being in someone's arms a feeling she would now forever want, well only Itachi's arms that is. It was something she had never experienced before. I mean Jaela had of course been with a man before, but never like this. This was something completely different, something far more personal than just killing time and blowing off steam.

Pulling her face from his neck she let her eyes meet his once more, staring deeply into them as she tried to muster the courage to tell him why she really couldn't go. "Tomorrow we will figure it out okay? Because I honestly don't want to leave."

After that she buried her face in his neck once more, savoring every moment of this that she could.

Marakai Trin

Itachi smiled at her, resting his head atop hers, silver and purple hair meshing together. "Of course. I'm sure we can figure something out..."

His hand lowered from the collar of the coat, fingers brushing aside the opening to rest on her waist, a warm pressure meant to reassure. His hand remained just there, as he held her to him.

Blink

As much as she wanted to do more, and push things further with Itachi, the warmth of him there with her relaxed her almost too much. So much in fact that she fell asleep just like that, in Itachi's arms while he rested a hand on her waist.

Morning came too soon and Jaela's eyes fluttered open at the sound of birds chirping in the trees. Turning her head she could see that Itachi was still asleep and actually looked quite peaceful. She lay there for a few more minutes, just taking in the face of the man when things were not constantly weighing on his mind.

Eventually, though she would have to get up, and so she did. However, she kept his jacket on as she quietly slipped out of the tent. It was still chilly, the sun not yet warming the earth in its early state, so she was happy she decided to keep that jacket on. Yet another thing she would claim as hers if he let her.

The rest of the camp seemed pretty quiet, no doubt the member of Craol sleeping off their hangovers in tents of their own. So it was just Jaela, strolling through the camp towards the fire... except she stopped dead in her tracks.

"The places I find you in sometimes are quite appalling." The all too familiar voice breaking the silent crackle of what was left of the fire. It was Kaida, sitting there at a stump staring into the embers looking very... not happy.

"Well, you know me." Jaela giggled, trying to hurry and pull up the charade she kept around the young dragon.

"You're right Jaela I do know you. And I know that I gave you very clear instructions." By now Kaida had stood up and was standing there accusingly staring at her.

"Well you see Kaida there was this... uh... scorpion incident." Jaela then reached down to pull up the leggings beneath her skirt. Beneath it was the soft and still healing pink flesh the showed where the scorpion had gotten her.

"I don't care what kind of incident there was. If you were where you are supposed to be then that would have never happened! I swear you are the stupidest...." Kaida couldn't even bring herself to finish the statement.  "Are you done playing now... can we just go?"

"But I love playing" Jaela's voice almost sounded like it belonged to a child.

"Then let's play get your shit and let's go. And where is your jacket!? Get that hellacious thing off and put on some proper clothing. You look like a fucking peasant!" Kaida was clearly beyond agitated at this point. "I can't associate myself with such a horrid looking creature! Come on, let's go. You can take a proper bath and scrub the grime off of you once you get back to the Citadel that YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO BE WATCHING!"

Jaela was now speechless, not really knowing what else to do. She didn't want to leave, not like this.

Marakai Trin

There's something about Itachi that was perhaps the greatest ability that all thieves and bandits should like to have. One thing that had saved him countless times during his hard life, one thing that allowed him to be proud of the multitude of scars that littered his body.

Itachi was, and always had been, and always will be, a notoriously light sleeper.

So, when Jaela slid from his grasp with a subtle rustling of fabric, he'd awoken quite quickly, mind more than alert as he listened intently. He heard her exit the tent...

And then he heard the exchange outside. Less than three words in, and he already had his bowie knife in hand, typically his last resort weapon yet one he always kept in easy reach. Deciding not to make his presence known as of yet, he bided his time, noting the girls placement by the sound of her voice.

He was confident he could make the shot. If he could bury a throwing star in a flying dragons eye, he could certainly hit this angry sounding woman who sat less than twenty feet away. And if not, the little beauty in his hand, the knife of his father, would always give him a second chance.

When the other demanded Jaela return to this 'citadel,' that's when Itachi decided to make his presence known.

"She ain' goin' anywhere, ya hear me?"

He brushed aside the canvas flap of the tent, holding that knife in a white knuckled grip. He stepped out, wearing nothing but his pants and a dangerous gleam in his eye. Over his tanned skin, his scars appeared almost like an intricately crafted spiders web, his tapestry of flesh glowing in the early sunlight.

With a movement almost too fast for most people to see, he launched that knife with a force strong enough to pierce plate. It flew, spiraling end over end, direct past that the white haired girls ear, burying itself in a tree some feet behind her.

"Tha's yer only warning. Next toss goes in the back o' yer head, an' I guarantee ya I won' miss. Now, wha' in th' holiest o' fucks are ya doin' in me camp. I'll give ya abou'....ten seconds. Startin' abou' eight seconds ago."

The bandits voice was low, dangerous, and absolutely full of venom. Despite the fact that he carried no weapon anymore, he was more than ready to follow through with his threat.

He could feel the power of the knife, pulling on his will,  ready to return to his hand and rend anything in its path back to it.

Blink

Itachi's voice broke the silence being exchanged between the two. His words making Jaela want to smile, but she knew she couldn't. If she did then Kaida would know what was really going on here.

Kaida on the other hand barely even reacted to Itachi's threat. Even as the weapon flew past her ear she didn't even flinch, let alone blink. In fact, at first, she didn't even acknowledge him as she looked on to the scene in front of her.

"Another play thing?" Kaida's crimson eyes were set on Jaela now, who was standing there still not able to say much. "Don't you ever get tired of these things? I mean seriously Jaela... when will enough be enough?"

"I wasn-" Jaela wasn't even able to finish before Kaida cut her off.

"I don't care." Her eyes then shifted to Itachi and Kaida shot him a devilish grin. "It's nice to know that you can count... honestly it's a skill most humans like yourself don't possess." She then mockingly clapped her hands before taking a step towards the two.

"So what did she do this time? Don't tell me she has convinced you that she is leading you on some amazing venture. Or what was it last time... oh yes! She is taking you all to the home of the 'butter witch' so that you may smight her and gain glory." These things, of course, being something Jaela has done in the past. The very mention of them even made Jaela giggle.

"Butter witches are real Kaida! One day you will see!" Jaela finally breaking her silence.

"I'm sure..." Kaida's tone showing she was less than amused. Her attention then turned to Itachi once more. "Listen, you can waste your time throwing things at me but I assure it is a waste of both our energies. I just need her back where she belongs." Kaida really was trying to be nice... she never succeeded at it very well though.

"I'm sure you are a great guy... I mean really. But Jaela has other obligations. She belongs to me you see, and right now I need her doing more... important things. So let's just pretend none of this every happened and we will be on our way... okay? Great!"

Kaida then turned around, motioning for Jaela to follow her.

Marakai Trin

"Wassat, woman?" He reached a hand up and cupped kt around his ear, as if he was hard of hearing. "I though' I 'eard ya insultin' me intelligence." He broke into a wide grin for a moment, before those jade eyes went narrow and furious.

"Big fucking mistake."

He eyes his knife, it's hilt still quivering slightly from its recent impact. He clenched his fist, feeling the magical tether within his psyche.

And then he pulled on it. As if thrown by a giant, it flew with even greater force, fueled now by the bandits sheer force of will - that said, the speed and force was rather substantial. The knife spun end over end through the air once again, toward Itachi's outstretched hand.

....just as Kaida turned around to walk away, putting her right in it's path.

Blink

What Kaida thought would be the end of the conversation quickly turned in another direction. The weapon running right through her stomach before returning to his hand. It caused her to pause, quite literally stopping the very motion of moving forwards as the clone grinned again.

Jaela, on the other hand, was at first growing nervous with each passing second, fearful that Itachi or Kaida would break out in a brawl at any second. So when it was exposed that it wasn't Kaida at all standing there but just a clone Jaela visually relaxed.

"Look Kaida! He's smart see!" Jaela then pointed at her own head to insinuate the question. "Just like me!"

Turning around Kaida at first looked at Jaela with a confused glare and then back at Itachi again. A light then flashed in her mind as she was struck with an idea.

"How about this instead then? Jaela clearly is quite fond of you, otherwise, she would have just DEFENDED me." Her eyes trailed to Jaela for a second as if she were insulted that it wasn't the case. "However, I was wrong about you.. umm... what was your name again?"

"Itachi!" Jaela chirped, jumping up and down with excitement. She knew where Kaida was going with this... she was sure of it.

"Right... Itachi. So Itachi how about we strike a deal instead? One that could perhaps work out for both of us?" The clone was visually much less 'aggressive' than before. It was like she was genuinely pleased with the compromise she had come up with. "Go to the Citadel with Jaela. Keep her company because gods know she needs it. Poor thing... never had much of an attention span." Jaela only giggled again at the mention of her name. Boy was she good at acting like a fool when Kaida was around.

"All I ask is that you aid her in protecting it from intruders. Oh, and that you don't destroy it." Her eyes again trailed to Jaela as she remembered the broken chandelier in the grand room. "In return, you will, of course, be paid graciously, have a lovely place to stay for a bit and of course... get to spend as much time as you desire with Jaela. What do you say?"

Marakai Trin

Upon its return to his hand, Itachi brought his arm back for yet another throw. A mere millisecond before the knife would have been flung from his fingers though, the other spoke. He held his attack, straightening again and looking between Jaela and this other woman.

This....Kaida.

"So...lemme get this straight, then. Ya wan' me ta...go wit' her..."

He blinked, slightly puzzled by the sudden change. Hadn't he just been trying to kill her?

"....sounds...wonderful, I suppose?  Bu'....wha' abou' me men? Ya 'ave any idea wha's gonna 'appen aroun' 'ere wit'ou' me ta tell these louts wha' ta do?"

This was....something else. Apparently now he knew why Jaela couldn't have left with him, and yet here an answer presented itself. But he couldn't just up and leave his men behind....they, and Pickham itself, depended on him for it's very existence.

He thought for a moment, and came up with an answer  to her compromise.

"Well....alrigh'. Bu' I go' one condition, like. I can' stay, no' forever. I go' other responsibilities, mind. Things....too personally importan' ta jus' ignore, y'know? It's either tha', or all o' th' Craol come wit' me. An' I mean all o' them."

He crossed his arms over his chest. "I can't jus' abandon them. They's me responsibility, like."

Blink

The young dragon weighed her options for a moment. This could work... it really could.

"Fine, you and a few come. The rest can go back to wherever they came from" Kaida was actually quite pleased with this arrangement. She was not only practically guaranteeing that Jaela would finally stay put, but now there were more eyes on her precious home than before. And this Itachi fellow didn't seem completely incompetent either. It may be nice having at least one level headed person there.

"Jaela... I am currently headed to Zantaric and won't be returning for a few weeks at best. I expect to see you and my Citadel in one piece when I return." Kaida's clone then turned to Itachi again. "It was.. umm... until next time." And then the clone combust, a cloud of ash and amber floating towards the ground.

The moment Kaida was gone Jaela's crazy switch turned off, as none of the Craol had even exited their tents yet she saw no need to hold up the charade for the time being. Jeez, they must be really hung over.

Looking at Itachi Jaela half smiled as she tried to gauge how he was feeling. "I really don't see anything wrong with this jacket. I mean.." Jaela paused to wrap the jacket tighter around her small frame. "... it really is quite warm."

Marakai Trin

When the woman burst into a cloud of smoky detritus, Itachi didn't even bat an eye. Truth be told, he'd seen weirder things in his time. But, as soon as she was gone, he turned to Jaela with a rather odd look.

"....well, it looks like you'll be going with me anyway...or, rather, the other way around, I suppose." He didn't even bother with the accent - his mind was going full tilt, racing as it tried to wrap around the last couple minutes.

"...and yeah. I like that coat. Even more than my tent. That's something that I think i need to hold on to. But....seriously. What the hell was that, Jaela? Kaida? Who is she?"

He looked back towards the spot the woman had occupied before she vanished. "....and just what am I getting myself into?"

Blink

Okay so maybe Itachi wasn't going to let up the coat so easily. It would be a conquest... just like the tent was.

"I told you I work for Kaida Black-Hearth. Well..." Jaela then motioned to the pile of ash on the ground. "Tada!" Maybe it wasn't as funny as she had hoped it would be but still, he had to at least give it to her for trying to lighten the mood.

"I am supposed to be guarding her family home which just so happens to have a lot of important stuff in it. I figured it was so high up that no one would show up, to be honest. I am guessing someone either did, or she checked in and saw I wasn't there." Jaela then started walking towards Itachi, closing the distance between them as she continued to explain.

"Kaida has a special... eye. She likes people with unique abilities. Like me!" Jaela then pointed to herself again and then back at Itachi. "Like you!"

"I don't even know her plan but she has always had a soft spot when it came to being unique. If she didn't think you were she would have never offered. Probably would have come and gotten me personally if I didn't leave. But honestly, she really isn't that bad." By now Jaela had closed the distance between them and placed a hand on his arm.

"It means a lot to me though that you were willing to fight for me." She then leaned in her lips just inches from his ear. "Did I mention that the Black-Hearth family is very well off?" Leaning back Jaela then looked into his eyes, clearly teasing him again. "Imagine having an entire Citadel to do whatever we wanted to in." Again Jaela lacing multiple meanings behind her words.

"But seriously, if you're going to come with me we will have to leave today. It's all the way in the Kilanthro mountains, quite a distance from here."

Marakai Trin

Itachi weighed his options for about two seconds.

On one hand, he could, rather stupidly, turn the offer down and let Jaela go her own way all the way to the Kilanthro Mountains, all alone with nothing, and possibly never see her again.

On the other hand, he could go with her, with basically a caravan full of supplies, and get paid to do basically nothing if he didn't want to, not to mention spend all the time in the world with her.

In the end, the answer seemed rather obvious.

He reached both hands toward her, grabbed the collar of his coat, and yanked her toward him to press a hot kiss against her lips, holding her there against him for several seconds.

When he finally broke contact, his eyes were smouldering, a playful glint more than apparent. "Been wanting to do that since last night. Guess I'll get the boys up." He grinned at her, pressing his forehead against hers.

And then he suddenly turned his head away so as not to render her ears useless.

"'EY CRAOL! TIME TA GET UP! ME AN' TH' SUN AN' TH' FUCKIN' PRINCESS 'ERSELF BEAT YA!  NOW GETTUP AN' GET SOME FUCKIN' FOOD COOKIN', BREAK CAMP, AN' LET'S GET OUTTA 'ERE!!!"

He turned to Jaela with a huge grin. "Cuz we're goin' north. An' it better be a good Gods damned adventure, too, fer all th' fuckin' walkin' we'll be doin'."

Blink

Tags: