Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Flaming Hearts {OPEN, PM to join}

Started by Celegwen, July 24, 2017, 02:53:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Celegwen

The candle went out and the smoke vanished. Frutollo fell backwards onto the ground. Extrotun ran around, lifted his unconscious friend with ease, and laid him on his cot. Feldler shifted uncomfortably, whining with his paw over his nose on the ground. Exon scratched behind the dog's ears, making sure he was okay.

"Rena, temporarily skipping over the talking demonic cat creature that your uncle was friends with, this situation is more serious than I thought," Exon said, uncharacteristically quiet. All of the loud, vivacious energy that made up Exon's whole being seemed to disappear in the matter of seconds. He walked over to the chairs and sat next to Rena.

He leaned forward, elbows on his knees and fingers intertwined. He stared more at the floor than anything else, while seemingly deep in thought. Exon ran his fingers back through his spiked hair, pushing it down so it was slicked back against his head. He went to Frutollo's mirror and removed the paint from his face, then sat down once again.

Frutollo would remember nothing from what happened in the session, nor would Exon tell him just what happened. He was a happy man, full of life and joy. There was no way Exon would destroy that for him.

"Monks are members of the Temple," Exon said, frowning nervously. He despised showing weakness to anyone, which made the matter of involving the Temple that much harder. "If Arlius was actually a Monk, a member of the Temple, this is a much bigger issue than we originally thought. There's something you must know before we go any further. It is regarding the Temple, but it is a dark story.

"This occurred when I was just a boy, barely seven years old." Exon's eyes developed a faraway look with painful memories. "There was a killer. Never caught, nor identified. The Temple authorities tried to keep it hidden from the public eye. They did a good job, but I was always told my curiosity would get the best of me. The bottom line is that I found out about the killings. I found out about the Devourer.

"Surely you know by now that Thanatos is an extremely cultured and sophisticated place. We pride ourselves on being civilized and polite. The Devourer defied all standards put forth by Thanati society. It was savage and monstrous, faster than any man and able to kill with brute strength alone. It would not only kill, but consume the force inside people that gave them life."

Exon squeezed his eyes closed and scratched his left forearm, a nervous habit he had from a young age. "You have to understand that, while my main attraction as a Maoin is fire performance, I am an expert fortuneteller. I am always perfectly accurate, which scares people. It makes me more sensitive than most to magic forces over life. Though I never saw the Devourer, I knew it would literally suck the life force out of its victims simply because of the magical remnants left on the bodies.

"One day, the killings just stopped, seemingly out of nowhere. The Temple announced that the Devourer was found and executed, though no name was ever released. People went about their lives as though nothing had ever happened. We do not speak of the events caused by the Devourer because of how taboo and revolting the crimes were."

He took a deep breath, looking her directly in the eyes. His crystalline eyes were piercing with intensity. "Rena, if the Eye of Hunger has something to do with the Devourer and the Monks and the Temple, we are in very far over our heads."

Wrathwyrm

Yes...that darn cat would take alot of explaining.  He was, after all, a terrifying creature now.  The contact had seemed to render Exon a bit more subdued.  It was concerning, and for a moment Rena thought it was entirely Garlock that had caused this, but it was not.  After dealing with his friend, Exon took a seat and spoke.

There was something that he had heard about, something involving the monks, among which Arlius could count in their number.  A killer, someone or something called the Devourer, had roamed this place when Exon was younger.  It was fast, brutal, and powerful.  Nothing could stop it.  Worse yet, it could drain life from people, and Rena knew what that meant to the Thanati.  They had unusual practices, something she had read about during the dark patch of her life when she would do anything to get her parents back.  They did not have the power of true life.  Nobody did.  They respected the soul too much and felt the spirits were never gone.

Life and death were not the same to them, but to steal of it...consume it like a leach...  Truly unforgiveable.  It was depraved.  Small wonder her uncle helped, and did so without his elemental magic.  And then, Exon said that one day, it just suddenly stopped, and that it was said to have been found and killed.  He seemed skeptical, and from his perspective, it did seem too neat and clean, even for brutal murders.  It was then that he spoke the fullness of his concerns, that they were up against the temple.  But...that wasn't right.

"Exon...a man of the Temple has asked of my help, even though he hoped for my father or uncle.  How could they be someone we're up against and not on our side, when they called out to a foreigner known for doing the right thing?  He was a good man.  He respected the people and the laws here.  He must've put a stop to it, and the same is needed again.  So, what's the problem?"

Celegwen

He shook his head. "It's not necessarily the case of them versus us. The Temple is the highest power in Thanatos. It would be foolhardy not to be wary of anything involving them, especially when it has to do with something as brutal as the Devourer."

Exon's eyes widened suddenly. "The Eye of Hunger," he said, thinking aloud once again. "Oh, Inima! Rena, the Eye of Hunger! The Devourer! We have to speak to Arlius as soon as possible. What if the Eye of Hunger was some kind of trap for the Devourer? What if that's what happened all those years ago that made the killings stop?"

His body started practically shaking with a mixture of fear and excitement. As a child, a little part of him admired the Devourer for its power and pure disregard for society's constraints. Never would he have defied Thanati culture in such a brutal and unforgiving manner, but Exon always found the killing committed by the Devourer to be almost sickeningly poetic.

He stood up with a single clap of his hands, and Feldler barked, sensing that they were going on an adventure. "Rena, we're going to the Temple. We're going to speak to the Monks, scholars, priests or priestesses... I don't care if we have to go to the Maharani herself! We are locating Arlius, and we are finding out exactly what the problem is."

Exon was bursting with anticipatory energy. "Are you ready?

Wrathwyrm

Exon did not necessarily mean that the Temple was against them, but rather that the scale of the situation was tough bit.  Rena had to agree that there could be a high level of difficulty.  A deadly killer who flouted all tradition was single-handedly the most dangerous thing this island had ever seen.  This made the natue of Arlius' letter all the more understandable.  He was a monk in the middle of the Temple, but the threat was so great that he reached out across the sea for help.  Rena was about to try and convince Exon that they needed to know more before making some kind of decision on this, when he seemed to change his own mind.

"Well, it might be.  It could be all that's left of the Devourer too, or..."

She didn't want to say it, but the thought had crossed her mind that it might also be the cause of all the trouble.  The cryptic nature of Arlius' message was becoming more and more understandable.  If he'd been afraid of what to communicate, for fear of interception, then it might have been phrased that way. Still, the possibilities seemed to bring back some of the life into Exon's heart as he stood up.  She did, as well, glad to see his confident tone had not been felled so easily.

"I am ready, though umm...  Show me the way?  Still new here, after all."

Celegwen

"Very well!" He said with a smile. "I feel I must warn you, once again, about traveling in Thanatos. These people value pride and politeness. Do not insult them, but do not take insults, unless spoken by someone above you. Also, as a Maoin entertainer and a highlight of this traveling band, I am relatively well-known throughout the nation. I'm not trying to come off as boastful, but warn you that we may run into a few of my clients along the way. If so, I will make small conversation and a polite excuse to be on our way."

Exon quickly washed the paint off of Feldler, then spoke to Yeolin. He told her that he would be gone for a period of time and asked that she would cover for him with Bartholomew.

He whistled to Feldler and smiled at Rena, signaling that they were off on their way. With Feldler running ahead to burn his excess energy, they started walking along the long path toward the Temple.

"When we reach the Temple, follow my lead," he said. "We bow first and longer than they do because they are of a higher rank. Most of those in the Temple are holy people, as I am sure you already know. Allow them to speak first, and reply with direct and formal answers. Can you do that?"

Wrathwyrm

Curiously enough, Rena had yet to speak to and lord and ladies in her life.  A few messages to the Magistrate of the Terrin Mountain Mines, regarding decisions and things, but if there was anyone to talk to a Magistrate directly, it would be to the Town Magistrate, not the one that managed the livelyhood of diggers and appraisers and such.  Those of noble birth rarely cared about the mystery of that mountain and the ancient kingdom that must have thrived once.  Now, why was that important?  Just this: Rena Goldswith was the Magistrate of the Terrin Mountain Mines.  She was not very important, but also uncommon.  The Goldswith line favored honor, respect, and loyalty.  Those that deserved it would get it.  Those that did not...would not.  So, warnings aside, let's move on!

It was understandable that diplomacy was a sharpened sword in Thanatos, that it was even more important than the real thing, sometimes.  So far, Rena had gotten by on being kind.  She did that alot, and that's why she was in good standing as of now.  Once Exon had made ready his departure, she followed, watching as Feldler let himself loose to run on ahead, back again, and so forth.  She did love dogs and their energy.  So, as they moved along - some a little curious, of course, of the entertainer and the foreign girl - he told her of Temple greetings and ask her if she could afford them their due decency.  Rena nodded.

"I understand, Exon.  They are your church and authority.  I'll accord them the respect they deserve."

This would be a fairly-important thing of note.  He'd mentioned Irima, who was the goddess worshipped on Thanatos.  Rena had said 'your church'.  She did not worhip Irima, being Serenian and not Thanati, naturally.  There was no disrespect there, but in Serendipity, there were gods, so it would be a little different for her, once they were there.

Celegwen

Exon truly admired Rena's ability to accept other cultures. Being a newcomer in Thanatos, Rena seemed to be adapting well to his culture. He assumed that she must have had some kind of experience in the past of dealing with other cultures because of how well she appeared to take to his. Either that, or she was simply a chameleon.

From their position on the island, it would take maybe a day and a half to reach the Temple with only stopping at night. On the journey, many curious looks were cast their way, but no one actually came up to the trio. Feldler walked alongside them without a tether. He was trained well and had no desire to stray far from Exon's side, so a leash was unnecessary.

They stopped only for a few hours at a nearby inn for nightfall, arriving after dark and leaving before sunrise. The inn belonged to an old friend of Exon's that he had since childhood. They left before the sun came up, which Feldler was severely unhappy about.

Exon knew that Rena's comment had specific wording. He knew that she did not worship the same gods. And he knew that she would not feel completely comfortable in a place of worship while surrounded completely by people who do not share her own faith. He respected her for the dedication and persistence she was displaying in regards to her family's duty and honor, for his only emotional dedication was to the Maoin.

As the sun began to set on the second day, they arrived at the Temple doorstep.

Wrathwyrm

During the time of their traveling, apart from whatever conversation had past, Rena had been fairly quiet.  She was a girl that thought alot, and at the time...she had been wondering if it was wise to explain the thing that Exon had seen, that of Garlock The Destroyer.  The whole situation upset her.  In a way, she'd been glad to see that - at the very least - her uncle's cat was alive.  They were practically family, what with the human intellect and speech.  Familiars are able to take in the world the way a human does, but they still thought the way animals do.  Garlock changed after Zan's death.  It still confused her, even now, why it had been.  It was like finding out that your best friend was a cannibal or something.

The time passed, and soon they were within sight of the Temple.  It was huge...  It was one of the greatest structures that Rena had ever seen, only a handful of places comparing to it.  She had seen castles in Serendipity and Connlaoth, the Shah's Palace in Essyrn, and so on.  This was something else...  There was a reason you called it Temple with a Capital T.  It was THE Temple, perhaps the greatest monument to religion ever made, barring only perhaps the ancient culture from which those of the two great kingdoms stemmed from so long ago.

They arrived at the step of it, the very threshold at the steps.  Rena expected to see a veritable army of men in robes.  Make no mistake, there were some robed individuals roaming around, but she noticed warriors with weapons, keeping watch.  She saw people in tunics, women in dresses, and so on.  She imagined this a little differently, but it seemed as though all walks of life came here.  Although the temple was very much a profound place of worship, it was also the center of all in Thanatos.  And because of that, the first thought that came to mind was...

"This is like a castle.  It's guarded, manned for labor tasks, advised and counselled, and houses the highest authority of the land.  So, the question is..."

She glanced at Exon now.

"Who will receive us and listen to our tale, in the hopes of reaching Arlius inside?"

Celegwen

Exon swallowed, slightly nervous at entering the Temple. He hadn't told Rena his history with the Temple, and he hoped on everything inside of him that it wouldn't need to be addressed once they were inside. He was accepted into the Maoin when he was five years old. The events with the Devourer took place when he was six years old. During that time, the Temple was decently vulnerable. Exon knew and took advantage of it.

Even at a young age, he was smart and fast. He infiltrated the Temple and stole priceless religious artifacts. This theft was not out of selfish desire, but rather out of love for Yeolin, his teacher who was like his mother. She had fallen ill, and the healers had no idea as to what ailed her. She and Exon were both religious people, worshipping Inima with their last breaths. Exon stole several artifacts from the Temple in hopes that just being near them would help Yeolin get better. Be it the acts of the divine or just the illness leaving her body, Yeolin miraculously recovered.

When the Temple authorities found out, Exon was captured and punished. He would have been branded as an Untouchable, but the members of the Maoin, even the clients that hired them, all spoken out in defense of young Exon's actions. The Temple released him without punishment, but the fear was enough to make sure he stayed away the Temple.

This journey frightened him. Exon knew it was for a good cause and an exciting tale, but his fear stayed in the back of his mind the entire time. Rena's question snapped him back to reality.

He scratched Feldler's ear and took a breath. "Let's find out, shall we?"

Entering the Temple, Exon leaned in closer to Rena's ear. "I must tell you now," he whispered, "that warriors are the only ones here who are permitted to carry weapons. Those daggers you have will not be well-received. If anyone asks you to surrender them, please do not put up a fight. We will be cast out or worse. I have bad history with these people, and we don't need anything else motivating them to act against us."

That was all he was planning on telling Rena about the incident when he was young. There would be no other reason to bring it up, unless she questioned or Temple authorities intervened.

"Also, best not to mention anything about Garlock," he added as a last second note. "Unless directly asked. Lying in the Temple will have a worse punishment than what will happen if they find out what happened with Frutollo."

The interior of the Temple was just as beautiful as the exterior. Still, Exon could not admire and value the beauty of the building when all he could think of was what could go wrong. Normally, he was more optimistic than his entire community put together. This was a new and uncomfortable feeling for him.

The feeling only increased when someone walked over to them. Exon immediately bowed.

Wrathwyrm

So, they were to enter, heading up the stairs and crossing the archway to the inside, where Exon spoke quietly...about her weapons?  That...drove in a concern.  She had traveled lightly in Thanatos, alongside him and Feldler.  She'd left her sword and her armor in lock-up so as not to stand out until necessary.  Even still, her daggers were made up of the same material as the armor.  Indeed, they were a pair made for her because she didn't like the helmet.  They were as much heirlooms as the armor itself, which is recast for each generation of the family head of Goldswith.  She would have to find out if foreign warriors were permitted their weapons.

She did understand about not mentioning Garlock.  That cat could do terrible things to a place like this.  Still, there was probably alot that Rena needed to explain, so that it could trouble Exon less, at least.  Just not here, not now, and not while a man was approaching.  Other people had passed by, giving them looks, while a young monk in an actual robe approached.  She had a board with a paper on it, and something to write with in his other hand.  Clearly, this was someone who recorded each arrival by someone not of the Temple.  When Exon bowed, Rena also bowed, keeping an eye on when it seemed that the other - who had just bowed himself - would straighten.  After a moment, he did so, and the two of them could, as well.  He looked over at Exon, and spoke in an interested-yet-official tone.

"A Maoin and a mainlander.  I've never seen the combination.  At least, not as visitors.  I must record your names, and the reason for your presence here.  Your names first, if you please."

It does please.  After Exon spoke his, it was Rena's turn.

"My name is Rena Goldswith, from the House of Alamar in Serendipity."

"I'm just going to write the name, you understand.  It's a little long on the page, otherwise."

"That's fine."

"What kind of place is the...House of Alamar?  Is that...foreign entertainment?"

She shook her head, knowing what he was implying.  They didn't offer that kind of service - especially not to foreigners - around here.  That was taboo and wasteful.

"No.  I'm a magistrate, actually, and a warrior."

"Oh, a warrior.  Good.  I think I read the word, Magistrate, somewhere.  One who watches over land for another?"

"Yes."

"You'll still have to surrender those daggers on your belt.  It's for the safety of the Temple."

Celegwen

At the mention of her daggers, Exon looked at Rena. He could tell that she was uncomfortable with the idea of surrendering her blades, but he stayed quiet, hoping that she would refrain from causing any trouble in the holy place.

Rena's bow when meeting the young monk was perfectly timed and and performed, and she spoke to him with the respect that was expected when addressing a member of the Temple, but Exon saw her hesitation when it came to handing over her blades.

He was shocked when she told the monk she was a magistrate. It made sense because of her talent when integrating herself into his culture, one he assumed she had no prior experience with. The fact that she was a warrior was pretty obvious! She was built like a warrior and had the humility and pride to go with it.

Exon squeezed his eyes closed and turned his head forward. Give him the blades, he thought to himself, praying that Rena could somehow understand him. Please, just give him the blades.

Wrathwyrm

Yes, she did not like it, but it also made sense.  He wanted to protect the people inside of this place.  She had only one question on the matter, as she pulled them out and handed them over with the handles facing him.  He motioned to a nearby warrior to take them for him, as his hands were full.

"Will I get them back?  They're actually heirlooms."

"I can see that.  Do not worry for your weapons.  You will find me or another in my place.  I have written down 'Two daggers taken'."

"My thanks."

He had a sort of offhand approving nod.  Most foreigners were not so kind, and had to be disarmed forcefully if they actually came here.

"What is the purpose of your visit?"

"I received a letter from Arlius The Scribe, a summons for my uncle or my father.  They have died, so the task falls to me."

This clearly surprised him, as he looked at Rena for a moment like she had said that water was made of black cheese.  Apparently, the man in question was known to him on some level, which may not be very surprising.  Then, he asked her a question she hoped he would not.

"What matter did the Master Scribe wish of them, and then you?"

"I'm afraid it's private."

"I must insist..."

"I cannot without breaching his trust.  To be completely honest, I know little of the reason myself.  I ask that you see if he will speak with me regarding 'a private matter'.  If he says no, that will be his decision and I will leave."

He pondered this.

"That is...acceptable."

Celegwen

Exon extended his arm in front of Rena briefly. He was extremely uncomfortable with the tension growing between the monk and girl. The monks do things a certain way, at a certain time, and with certain people. The presence of a foreigner in the Temple was enough to put them on guard. The foreigner carrying weapons, even if she willingly surrenders them, is unsettling for most of them. When someone, a foreigner or a native Thanati, refuses to tell their business to the welcoming service, that is a violation to their way of operating.

Thankfully, Rena handed over her blades without a fight. It was more than fair for her to make sure she would be getting them back at the end of their visit. Thankfully, the monk was just as kind and understanding about it.

Unfortunately, he was much less understanding about the nature of their visit. Exon knew that the monk would be slightly put off by Rena's refusal to disclose the details of the letter, but he definitely didn't expect him to completely refuse them.

"Sir," Exon started, bowing his head briefly. "Sir, I beg of you." He stepped to the side, pretending not to let Rena hear what he was going to say. "Rena is a good woman who has travelled far to see the Master Scribe. She came to me asking for assistance because she wanted to make sure she respected all of the rites and customs of the Temple." Exon glanced back. Feldler was sitting next to Rena with his tongue hanging out of the side of his mouth.

"I will not lie to you, sir. I am not one for family and loyalty and duty. I live my life on the stage and lie for a living. It is the way of the Maoin, and I would not change my life for anything." He gestured to Rena with a wave of his hand. "Standing in front of you is a hardworking, genuine woman who is simply trying to fulfill her duty to her beloved deceased father and uncle. Is there truly no possible way for us to get an audience with Arlius the Scribe? Even just briefly?"

Wrathwyrm

The man politely waited as Exon made his case, regarding Rena.  Unfortunately, neither of them seemed to be aware that they were not far enough away and she could hear everything.  Anyway, once he was done talking, the man had his words.

"I understand your feelings on the matter.  She has the air of a woman in good standing and a polite tongue.  I'm just concerned on this mystery.  Master Arlius is my master, and that of many in our sect of the Temple.  He is a man of ages, and a cunning warrior could do him harm, even unarmed.  To conceal her intentions is suspicious, and she could even lie.  I do not say she has done these things, you understand.  I speak only of the possibility which I must face in my day-to-day tasks."

It was perfectly understandable for him to think in such a way, since the xenophobia had made many rather paranoid of mainlanders, mistrusting even.  The thing that divided this scribe's thoughts on the matter was that she was well-spoken and observant of the customs.

"I intend to go to Master Arlius and request as she has stated, as it seems a very good way to determine both honesty and perhaps an answer to her intentions.  To wit, if she speaks the truth, then he will invite her in and very possibly instruct me to speak nothing of this to anyone.  If she is not expected, as she said, she will not see Arlius and has agreed not to raise the matter further.  Saying it outloud just now, I think I even prefer the idea, and it was hers.  If you trust her as you say, you will stay with the guards and allow my inquiry of Master Arlius."

Celegwen

Exon's heart immediately relaxed when the monk told him he would speak to Arlius. He understood that the monk was taught to be guarded when it came to people who wouldn't speak their purpose. The fact that Arlius was also this particular monk's master was another obstacle that would make him more cautious with matters regarding the Master Scribe. He did not assume that Rena's motive was foul, but he did not want to risk being wrong without first consulting his teacher.

When the monk walked away, Exon noticed that several eyes were drawn their way at the slight commotion. He made his way back over to Rena, his hands casually drawn behind his back.

He did a small hop to close the distance, and Feldler barked. Exon quickly quieted him. The Temple was a place of study and of worship. Animals were not commonly admitted, but Exon never went anywhere without his dog. Everyone who knew of them also knew that they were inseparable, so often times the rules were bent to allow Feldler to come along.

He leaned in closely to Rena, lowering his voice as he spoke. "I assume you were listening," he said quietly. "The monks are, as you see, not overly trusting of people. I trusted you when you came to me, and I will continue to do so..." Exon took a long breath, running his fingers back through his hair. "Rena, please tell me now if there is anything I should know about."

Wrathwyrm

"I can't help it anymore than seeing the flow of magic.  It just happens."

Being part elf had its advantages, largely in a subtle way.  She wasn't going to apologize for it, because that would mean feeling ashamed of her mother.  And given why and how that occurred, that was never going to happen.  So now, Exon wanted to know what else she hadn't said that might be important.  Yeah, she thought this might come into play.

"My family excells in the elemental magic that Thanatos finds unnatural and taboo.  Every Goldswith has an element they liken to in some way, and that leads to one of seven ancient blades awakening to them for their use.  I left my sword and armor at the inn I checked into when I arrived, in their lock-up.  I won't be using the magic here, but I'm sure you've heard of the civil war in Connlaoth over the use of magic at all.  I am feeling a little uncomfortable about the things that are open and free back at home.  That said, I..."

She lowered her head in apology to him.

"I'm sorry I didn't explain about Garlock.  For the longest time, I thought that a magus calling himself Garlock The Destroyer had killed my uncle and destroyed his town before engaging in death and destruction over the years at random.  But then, I tracked him down and found out it was just Garlock himself, and he'd changed somehow because of Uncle Zan's death.  He got mad at humans for killing his master.  I don't know what to do about him.  I may be the only person he actually cares about, but I feel like I have to stop him...and I can't.  Even with a Mordecai around, and even if I had the will to strike him, he's my cat now."

Celegwen

Exon nodded thoughtfully, pursing his lips and briefly shaking his head. "This is a really, really bad place to discuss the use of elemental magic," he said. "My show obviously uses fire, but never would I dream of manipulating the element itself. When I snapped my fingers against the hoop and it was engulfed by flames, I had something between my dinners that created a spark when I snapped. The only magic I would use in that way is resistance against the heat for myself and Feldler. Even then, if I were to be caught, it wouldn't be good."

It was true. Though Exon's show was widely known, many people have tried and failed to do what he has. Elemental magic in Thanatos was viewed as messing up the natural order, which is a very big deal. He would not be severely punished, but he would no longer be permitted to perform.

The seven blades peaked his interest. He had never heard of an instance where someone was somehow bonded to a weapon, but it did seem rather poetic. That's something I must remember to address, he thought to himself. The Temple was the last place he would want to openly discuss a weapon such as that.

As for Garlock, Exon really had no words. He was never a fan of cats, thinking they had almost demonic personalities. This one actually did, though. Even so, Rena loved him, and Exon knew what the love of a pet was like. He looked down at Feldler's wide smile and trusting eyes. He knew that he would never be able to stop him, even if he was committing atrocities.

"I don't know what I can say regarding Garlock," Exon confessed. "I know there should be some kind of right answer, but I've found it is often one we don't want to hear. All I can say is that he must be stopped somehow. If you aren't able to complete the task, I can promise I'll assist you in any way I can."

He took a breath and straightened his shoulders. "Until that time comes, we'll take it day by day. So, let's just wait for Arlius."

Wrathwyrm

"I know that.  I was watching."

Truly, she had been able to see where the magic was or wasn't. Her eyes were adjusted to the flow of mana, essentially.  He was right about the situation in which they were not in the best place to discuss magic, but he'd also asked for information.  It was important that she bring home the fact that she was different from her, that her life was different.  There was no shame in elemental magic in Serendipity, so this kind of restraint did bother her.  I mean, we can't underscore enough how much this must've bothered Zan.  You could say that they were definitely out of their element.

As for Garlock, that was a matter that perhaps she could only solve with words, more than force.  Rena wasn't going to tell him this, but the two of them had had a long talk about this, and Garlock claimed that his life was somehow necessary.  It was...hard to follow, but apart from the 'granting vengeance to the suffering' part, he was convinced that human beings needed to be whipped into shape so that the tragedy of Zan could not happen again so easily.  In short, this was on purpose, which was weird.  It was nothing she was really able to appreciate, though.  All she could see was the death and destruction.  It had to stop.

"One day, I will think of something.  Of that, I'm certain."

Still, yes...they had no choice than to wait.  It didn't actually take that long a time.  It was more than likely that - judging by the man's return - that he'd spent more time walking than talking.  He was back and looking concerned, but it was clearly no longer about them, but of the conversation itself.  That could be interpretted as good OR bad.

"Master Arlius will see you now."

"Thank you.  And believe me, I understand fully."

They were led down the halls and up some steps, then through a passage to the Temple Hall of Records, the place of knowledge and history.  The room was large, with many shelves, ladders, and in fact a pulley system for additional storage to be hung from the ceiling.  Yes, that IS strange, but as is known in Thanatos...one works to improve what one has.  Since what they had was a large room with lots of space over the receiving and study area, someone saw fit to connect some chains up to some shelving on one end and a lockable crank to the other.  Generally, the works kept up there weren't used often, so it was alright to do so.

The scribe who brought them in stopped at a desk with a scarred man behind it.  He was aged, mostly bald, and the scar in question ran over one eye, which was without sight.  The other eye was working, though.  You could see him scanning pages at speed, taking its contents instantly and committing them to memory.  He too was in an actual robe, either due to it being normal for scribes to be thus or because they were just so damn comfortable.  Because most Thanati would rather slap themselves in the face than rudely interrupt, they waited for him to finish, and then he closed the tome and looked up.  And then, his good eye focused more carefully for a moment.  This was basically done while they'd begun bowing, which he stood up and returned, of course.

"My my...  Yes, you must be related.  It's been so long, and yet...I expected him to walk through that door, regardless."

"You are Alrius The Scribe?"

"I am.  I'm so sorry for your loss, and to have pulled you here from your life.  Ah, you may go, Jevan."

"Yes, I...have other tasks."

He was uncertain, but the fact that the Master Scribe seemed a bit more relaxed now helped.  Jevan the scribe left, and the door closed.  So now, it was just the three of them.

"Would you like something to drink?  Food, perhaps, while we talk?  I anticipate many questions and umm..."

He focused on Exon for the first time now.

"Maoin, you are here for...?"

"He's been a great help to me."

"I see.  Good.  Unexpected associations breed fine solutions."

Celegwen

Looking at the Master Scribe, he was not at all what Exon had been expecting. This man had the appearance of a seasoned warrior. His outward appearance was harsh and warning, yet his personality was all but that. He was welcoming and warm, still with an element of caution in his voice.

Exon watched the way Arlius looked at Rena, as though he'd known her for her entire life.

"Forgive me for being forward, Master Scribe," Exon said. "Rena has travelled a far distance. I assisted in all ways I could, but this is absolutely her journey. I am honored to stand alongside such a great woman, for over the short time we have known each other, my respect for her has grown substantially. She is kind and determined and loyal, and you could not have chosen a better person to aid you."

Exon blushed slightly at his genuine outburst. He knew that it was not customary to speak to a monk, let alone a master, without first being spoken to, but he felt that his feelings needed to be heard by Rena and Arlius.

Feldler whined, laying next to Exon's legs.

"Since I first spoke to her," he continued, "I knew that she was prepared for whatever task you have ahead. Even if she does not have the confidence in herself that I do in her."

Wrathwyrm

"Well, thank you for the vote of confidence."

Just sort of an offhand remark, but she was smiling, so she must've meant it.  Rena was ever the observant one, and right now she could see that this really came from the heart.  Arlius nodded at all of this, as though he were confirming something in his head, or possibly trying to calm himself down.

"Yes, yes...I see.  I must apologize to you both for my appearance, my demeanor.  The years have not been kind, after the wounding, and events of late have left me...what is the word...strained."

"Is it to do with this Eye of Hunger?"

"Oh yes...  It has ever-so-much to do with that.  What have you been told, Miss Goldswith?"

"Practically nothing.  We've been guessing at this whole thing having to do with the Devourer, but that's largely all we know.  And please, call me Rena."

She wasn't mentioning the stuff that Garlock had said because it would require them to name their source.

"Well, you are right in suspecting the Devourer.  That beast is responsible for my wounding, among the other injuries and deaths incurred.  The madness of that Eye...  Its discovery has led to so much horror..."

"Then, the Eye of Hunger didn't stop the Devourer, but started it?"

He nodded, somewhat nervously.

"Yes, I'm afraid so.  It's an artifact - a living artifact - of strange power.  It...  Shall I start from the beginning?  I've given Jevan instructions that we are not to be disturbed.  My record of the events are sealed until my death.  You two will be the only ones to know anything since that time."

Tags: