Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Clear Skies (open)

Started by Jiaolong, January 03, 2018, 10:09:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jiaolong

Aleki finally caught sight of the small hut beside a well-beaten path. A quick look around confirmed no one was about—but then again, why would anyone come here? He and his mother lived at the end of the road, well away from the other people.

He tightened his grip on his net of fish, preparing himself for his mother's lecture that was sure to come from his staying out so late. Hopefully she would be more preoccupied with Fluvial.

"Mama! I'm back!"

Immediately, a woman with a worried face appeared in the hut's doorway, her eyes easing in relief upon seeing her son. "Aleki! I told you to be back before sunset!"

Aleki rolled his eyes, pointing at the sun that had just disappeared over the horizon. "It's not technically after sunset yet," he said, "and look! I got some fish!"

The woman's eyes wandered to where Fluvial stood. As someone who had strong water magic, she immediately recognized the being as a water elemental. She had seen creatures like this before...but certainly not standing outside her door. "Aleki...who is this?"

"Oh! This is my friend Fluvial. He helped me get my fish after I crash-dropped them."

Kalak8538

Fluvial was struck speechless.

He had become intimidated beyond words with the larger creature's reprimand, even though it was not directed at him. The elemental froze in place as she looked him over, trying and failing to summon the courage to greet her. Excess water soaked the earth as his form began to shrink under her gaze.

All Fluvial could do was raise a one of the watery orbs he used for hands in a meek wave. his "mouth"opened, but no sound could be heard.

Jiaolong

Aleki leaned in closer to his mother. "Uh, he's a little...shy." The woman nodded.

"You don't say." The woman tried to make her demeanor seem a bit more gentle, and she eased a smile on her face. "I'm Lailani. Thank you for helping my son—he's always getting into trouble," she said, placing a hand in Aleki's hair to ruffle it.

"Hey!"

Lailani laughed. "Well, come in you two, the meal is ready. Though I suppose I'll roast some fish too."

Aleki tucked his enormous wings closer to himself, leaning down slightly so they could fit through the door. "Come on Fluvial, I'll show you my shell collection."

Kalak8538

Fluvial's mouth quivered into a slight smirk as he watched the interaction between the two, but it quickly faded once again. He still would not dare to speak. Even as he followed obediently into the hut, he remained silent. He was conscious to keep all the water bound to himself, leaving not even a drop in his wake.

In his time traveling the rivers, the elemental had seen many different dwellings. Some had been like this, but each one he saw varied in both size and makeup. Fluvial barely understood the concept of a dwelling, and never knew the purpose of constructing one. This showed in his inquisitive scanning of the hut's interior. He looked around in subtle amazement as he followed Aleki.

In the past, these seemed to be merely a place for such beings of the world to hide during the dark night. Seeing the inside of one provided evidence that there was more to that theory...

Jiaolong

The hut was not unlike the others one would find in Yoreiq. A small cooking fire burned in a wide hole in the center of the room, casting an orange glow across Aleki and Lailani's faces as the light faded outside. Two sleeping mats lay to the side, covered in soft silks and other fabrics. Some other rolled up mats stashed against the wall suggested guests were frequent.

Hung from the walls and arranged in neat piles lay various trinkets and strange objects. Some were everyday things one would find on the island—shells, feathers, interesting rocks. Others were much different—colorful jewelry boxes, combs and clips, small swathes of fabric, and other unidentifiable things.

Aleki grabbed an elegant looking box from beside his sleeping mat, holding it up for Fluvial to see. "This is from that huge continent I was talking about earlier...they have different trees and metals over there, and they make things like this. I got it from a trader's ship."

Lailani chuckled, untangling the fish from the net. "He says he has a shell collection, but almost everything here is his 'collection'."

Kalak8538

Fluvial looked over the gilded container, inspecting it as well as he was able. He was careful not to touch it. He did not know the rules, and would not risk over-stepping some unknown boundary by laying a single drop on the surface. These creatures had many such things as this. They adorned the inside of the dwelling, but seemed to do little else. Aleki's apparent fascination with these items was lost on the oblivious elemental, who could see no logic in it.

"What... What is the purpose of this... collection, of which you speak? I am... sorry if it is obvious..."

Jiaolong

"A...purpose? I don't think collections really have a purpose. Maybe for my own personal entertainment?" Aleki said, tilting his head. He put the box back in its place and took a seat by the cooking fire.

"I'm not sure how to ask this, but, uh, being water and all, do you eat?"

Kalak8538

Fluvial simply watched as the odd container was stored again.

"No... purpose?" he questioned silently.

The young creature walking away cut the elemental out of his inquisitive daze. He followed quickly behind Aleki and mirrored him, pretending to sit in a watery blob in the middle of the floor. He wanted to appear as similar as he could to appear compliant and non-threatening.

"I... uhm... do not eat, no."

Jiaolong

"Well, that's okay. Dinner is for talking, too."

Aleki watched in wonder as Fluvial appeared to sit down. He couldn't quite get used to someone being entirely made of water—but it looked pretty cool.

Lailani speared some fish with a thin stick, placing them over the fire to cook. She picked up a small wooden cup and filled it with water, dropping a mixture of herbs and berries into the liquid. She waved her hand over the cup, and the water turned a deep red color.

Kalak8538

Fluvial "sat" still as the two readied themselves to eat. All the elemental could do was stay silent and try not to make anyone uncomfortable as he observed. A minute spark of interest could be seen as he witnessed the elder of the two perform some manner of magic with the water in the small container.

Jiaolong

Lailani finished with her mixture, setting it over the cooking fire to warm. "It's a recipe for a sweet drink. It also has some healing properties."

"Fluvial, perhaps you could do this also. You seem to have a predisposition for magic, and this is only simple water magic. Would you like to try?"

Kalak8538

Fluvial looked to the liquid he had been presented with.

"If that would please you..." he replied solemnly.

Once the same ingredients are added, the water would seem to move almost by itself. The process was simple, and the elemental did not even need to move to recreate what Aleki's mother had done.

Jiaolong

Lailani's eyes widened, clearly pleased. "Amazing! Your magic must be strong, Fluvial."

Aleki blinked, peering down at the dish before turning to his mother. "Hmm...I guess you're not the best with magic on this island like you said..." he joked. Lailani ruffled his hair, leaving the boy tugging at knots with a grumble.

"Its no fair you two can do magic. I can't do anything."

Kalak8538

Fluvial shrank from the cup, a look of regret displayed on his face of molded water. The elemental had done only what he was offered to do. This was not the desired reaction.

"I am sorry... I did not mean to upset anyone, to make anyone feel inferior..."

Jiaolong

Aleki chuckled, meaning to give the elemental a pat on the back only to have his hand pass right through. The boy blinked, a little flustered, before regainingg his composure. "Oh, I'm just joking—and besides, I've got these." He shifted his wings, knocking over an empty bowl in the process. "Whoops."

Kalak8538

The elemental was unfazed, even as his fluid composure rippled from the touch. Aleki's wings had once again gotten the his curious attention. That is, until he saw the falling bowl.

Fluvial reacted quickly. He had seen firsthand what gravity did to such objects, and these creatures valued their possessions like all the rest. This compelled the elemental to act, to keep the falling object whole if he could. An orb of water encased the falling object, catching it in midair before lowering it gently to the ground.

Jiaolong

Aleki watched in awe at how easily Fluvial could manipulate water—but the guy was made of the stuff, so maybe that was to be expected. "Thanks."

Lailani looked on with interest, chin resting on her hand. An idea formed in her mind. "Say, Fluvial, is there anywhere you're going to go after this?"

Kalak8538

The water lifted off the bowl, leaving its surface devoid of even any humidity.
Fluvial looked to Lailani as the liquid rejoined his form. His expression was that of subtle confusion.

"Anywhere... to go? Well... when you tell me to leave, I can go back to the ocean...
Is that a suitable answer?
"

Jiaolong

'When you tell me to leave,' huh? Lailani shrugged. "Hm, let me rephrase that: do you want to go back to the ocean?"

Kalak8538

There was a visible shift in the Fluvial's expression. Never before has someone inquired to what the elemental wanted. The feeling of personal desire was something he usually ignored, or actively suppressed when in the company of intelligent beings. If anything, he wanted to stay. His desire was to be in the company of creatures that were comfortable with his presence, that had treated him so well.

Still, there was a chance that this would end soon. For all Fluvial knew, these two would grow tired of him by sunrise.At that time, he would have to go back to his travels along the ocean currents. After a moment or two of internal inflection, he responded.

"I will go back to the ocean when you tell me to leave..."

Tags: