Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

* War's A-brewin'!

There is a civil war brewing in Connlaoth! Check out its info page here and its plotting page here!
The SotE video game is accepting crafting item submissions right here!

Also, we have a Discord chat server! Check it out. 8D

Author Topic: Clear Skies (open)  (Read 288 times)

Offline Jiaolong

Re: Clear Skies (open)
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2018, 02:59:43 PM »
Aleki finally caught sight of the small hut beside a well-beaten path. A quick look around confirmed no one was about—but then again, why would anyone come here? He and his mother lived at the end of the road, well away from the other people.

He tightened his grip on his net of fish, preparing himself for his mother’s lecture that was sure to come from his staying out so late. Hopefully she would be more preoccupied with Fluvial.

“Mama! I’m back!”

Immediately, a woman with a worried face appeared in the hut’s doorway, her eyes easing in relief upon seeing her son. “Aleki! I told you to be back before sunset!”

Aleki rolled his eyes, pointing at the sun that had just disappeared over the horizon. “It’s not technically after sunset yet,” he said, “and look! I got some fish!”

The woman’s eyes wandered to where Fluvial stood. As someone who had strong water magic, she immediately recognized the being as a water elemental. She had seen creatures like this before...but certainly not standing outside her door. “Aleki...who is this?”

“Oh! This is my friend Fluvial. He helped me get my fish after I crash-dropped them.”

Offline Kalak

« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2018, 08:44:40 AM »
Fluvial was struck speechless.

He had become intimidated beyond words with the larger creature's reprimand, even though it was not directed at him. The elemental froze in place as she looked him over, trying and failing to summon the courage to greet her. Excess water soaked the earth as his form began to shrink under her gaze.

All Fluvial could do was raise a one of the watery orbs he used for hands in a meek wave. his "mouth"opened, but no sound could be heard.

Offline Jiaolong

« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2018, 12:26:55 PM »
Aleki leaned in closer to his mother. “Uh, he’s a little...shy.” The woman nodded.

“You don’t say.” The woman tried to make her demeanor seem a bit more gentle, and she eased a smile on her face. “I’m Lailani. Thank you for helping my son—he’s always getting into trouble,” she said, placing a hand in Aleki’s hair to ruffle it.

“Hey!”

Lailani laughed. “Well, come in you two, the meal is ready. Though I suppose I’ll roast some fish too.”

Aleki tucked his enormous wings closer to himself, leaning down slightly so they could fit through the door. “Come on Fluvial, I’ll show you my shell collection.”

Offline Kalak

« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2018, 07:08:57 AM »
Fluvial's mouth quivered into a slight smirk as he watched the interaction between the two, but it quickly faded once again. He still would not dare to speak. Even as he followed obediently into the hut, he remained silent. He was conscious to keep all the water bound to himself, leaving not even a drop in his wake.

In his time traveling the rivers, the elemental had seen many different dwellings. Some had been like this, but each one he saw varied in both size and makeup. Fluvial barely understood the concept of a dwelling, and never knew the purpose of constructing one. This showed in his inquisitive scanning of the hut's interior. He looked around in subtle amazement as he followed Aleki.

In the past, these seemed to be merely a place for such beings of the world to hide during the dark night. Seeing the inside of one provided evidence that there was more to that theory...

Offline Jiaolong

« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2018, 11:23:06 PM »
The hut was not unlike the others one would find in Yoreiq. A small cooking fire burned in a wide hole in the center of the room, casting an orange glow across Aleki and Lailani’s faces as the light faded outside. Two sleeping mats lay to the side, covered in soft silks and other fabrics. Some other rolled up mats stashed against the wall suggested guests were frequent.

Hung from the walls and arranged in neat piles lay various trinkets and strange objects. Some were everyday things one would find on the island—shells, feathers, interesting rocks. Others were much different—colorful jewelry boxes, combs and clips, small swathes of fabric, and other unidentifiable things.

Aleki grabbed an elegant looking box from beside his sleeping mat, holding it up for Fluvial to see. “This is from that huge continent I was talking about earlier...they have different trees and metals over there, and they make things like this. I got it from a trader’s ship.”

Lailani chuckled, untangling the fish from the net. “He says he has a shell collection, but almost everything here is his ‘collection’.”

Offline Kalak

« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2018, 06:21:13 AM »
Fluvial looked over the gilded container, inspecting it as well as he was able. He was careful not to touch it. He did not know the rules, and would not risk over-stepping some unknown boundary by laying a single drop on the surface. These creatures had many such things as this. They adorned the inside of the dwelling, but seemed to do little else. Aleki’s apparent fascination with these items was lost on the oblivious elemental, who could see no logic in it.

”What... What is the purpose of this... collection, of which you speak? I am... sorry if it is obvious...”

Offline Jiaolong

« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2018, 09:51:49 AM »
“A...purpose? I don’t think collections really have a purpose. Maybe for my own personal entertainment?” Aleki said, tilting his head. He put the box back in its place and took a seat by the cooking fire.

“I’m not sure how to ask this, but, uh, being water and all, do you eat?”

Tags: open