Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Gun Runners (DragonSong)

Started by Kingfisher, January 21, 2018, 05:21:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kingfisher

It was while Tara was in her half concious state when Joshua returned to the inn.  As he had promised, he made a bee line for the room he had rented.  Setting her upon the bed, the man asked, awkwardly, "Did you need help getting into bed?"  He blushed at the implications of his suggestion and ammended, "Otherwise, I was going to get some stew."  It was clear he was growing gradually less tense as he seemed to begin fixating on the bard's physical privacy.

DragonSong

Tara shook her head as she clambered clumsily into the bed. "M'fine." She sighed and closed her eyes the moment she was even mostly on the mattress. "Just make sure no one cheats you- sometimes they'll up the prices for a foreigner," she mumbled tiredly, already half asleep.

Kingfisher

"I'll keep that in mind."  Joshua was familiar with that sort of behavior.  It was easy enough to haggle to a reasonable price given the metallurgist knew the value of an ounce of gold and a bowl of lentils.  "You should just get some rest."

The foreigner bought his food and ate quickly.  It was a light meal but enough and he did not order seconds.  Joshua wondered if he should return to Tara.  It seemed a waste, just sitting around but between having nothing else to do and concern for the bard it seemed his best option.  Shrugging, he returned to the room, content to sit in the corner until the girl had need of him...

DragonSong

Tara had never been much for dreaming. She normally slept so quickly and deeply that it was like she blinked, there was a moment of darkness, then she was awake again.

Today seemed to be the exception. Twisted, bloodied images haunted behind her eyes, gnarled fingers reaching for her, a bright, sickeningly happy giggle echoing in her ears.

She started to fidget, then practically writhe on the bed. Her brow was drawn into a tight line and small gasps and whimpers escaped her lips as she clutched at the sheets, trying desperately to twist away from an invisible enemy.

Kingfisher

The smith noticed Tara's panic.  Quickly closing the door after himself, Joshua hurried to the girl's side.  Grabbing her shoulder, he tried to shake the girl awake.  "Tara," he said under his breath.  He wanted to be gentle while still drawing her away from whatever old ghosts had been called back to haunt her.  "Wake up," he demanded.  "It's not real."

DragonSong

She flinched away from the touch at first, then suddenly threw herself into him as her eyes snapped open, wild and unfocused.

"Alex!"

Tara suddenly found herself pressed against someone's chest, her hands clutching at his forearms. For the briefest moment she thought she was still dreaming. "Joh...Joshua?"

Kingfisher

The man had quickly found himself cradling the bard.  "You were having a nightmare," he explained.  "I was worried."

Causiously, Joshua tried to disengage from the poor girl.  Tara had cried out for someone; a name he recognised from earlier.  Looking her in the eye, the smith asked, "I'm still here.  Do you...?"  He paused, unsure whether to press.  Discarding his concern, Joshua asked, "Do you want to talk?  About Alex, I mean."

DragonSong

Tara sat back with a shaky breath, wrapping her arms around herself. "No," she murmured, looking away. Gods, what was wrong with her? She shouldn't be falling apart so easily, just seeing Karian shouldn't have done this. "No, I don't."

Exhausted, though all she'd done the last few days was sleep, she reached up to rub at her eyes with a sigh. "How long was I out?"

Kingfisher

"Not that long," Joshua admitted.  He shifted, taking a seat on the edge of the bed.  "Figured you wouldn't get much rest tossing and turning all night."  It was true enough, but given what had happened, the smith was also fairly sure it had something to do with fear and pain.  "You go ahead.  Go back to sleep.  I'll see you in the morning."  This was his clumsy way of reasuring her; perhaps knowing he was there would comfort her enough that she could sleep more restfully.

Stepping clear of the bed, the man began to unbutton his shirt, ready to wad it into a makeshift pillow to set on the floor...

DragonSong

"Wait-"

Tara reached for him, than stopped herself, her hand hovering in the air. Lips slightly parted, she tried to think of any way to say this and maintain a scrap of dignity.

Seduction was an option, she supposed, but she knew the smith well enough by now to know that it would just make him uncomfortable.

"There's...plenty of room on the bed." She cleared her throat. After a long moment she admitted, dropping her eyes, "I hate sleeping alone...Please."

Kingfisher

Joshua paused, attention quickly returning to the bard.  Truthfully, the smith was a peculiar man.  His mind could not help but to flash to the idea of adopting an intimate position with Tara and he blushed unconsciously.  However, he also understood her meaning.  Whatever had happened to her had shaken her; Karian reawakened that fear...

Tara deserved better.  Though there was a hint of a blush to his face, Joshua offered a kind smile.  "Alright..." he said, setting his jacket on aside.  Slipping down to his linens, the smith returned to the bed, once again kneeling next to the poor girl.  Out of habit, the man slipped his knife under the pillow as he lay down beside Tara.  "Insurance," he assured her.

Given his school of magic, it was child's play to snuff out the oil lamp, robbing the fire of heat enough that it dimmed, flickered and died.  "Good night, Tara.  See you in the morning," Joshua whispered, a subtle promise...

DragonSong

Tara let out a soft sigh of relief as he climbed into the bed. Part of her hated this, hated how weak she felt, but a larger part was honestly just too tired and scared to care. She needed the comfort.

"...Thanks," she murmured after a few moments, curving almost unconsciously toward the heat of his body.

Sleep found her quickly after that, and sometime in the night she rolled to face Joshua, curling up and somehow managing to tuck herself into the curve of his body as she shifted and fidgeted in her sleep. She was obviously still restless, occasionally whimpering or gasping quietly, but it was no where near as bad as her previous nightmare.

Kingfisher

The smith, for his part did not interfere with Tara's sleep again.  Having fallen asleep some time after the bard, Joshua awoke in the morning in a surprisingly intimate position.  As awkward as it was, he could not help but enjoy the position he was in.  Much like the girl beside him, Joshua was a loner.  There were few opportunities for him to genuinely care about people.  And for perhaps the first time in his life, someone seemed to genuinely need him...

The young man had to be careful he did not abuse Tara's trust.  That would be that last thing she could deal with.

DragonSong

"Mmm..." Tara shifted in her sleep, nuzzling into the warm body beside her. Alan? No, there was no smell of lamp oil. Who...?

Her eyes fluttered open and she glanced up into Joshua's face. "Oh." She blinked. Still half asleep, she mumbled, "Exactly how naked did we get, and should I be apologizing for anything?"

Kingfisher

Joshua was still half asleep when her hear the girl speak and was caught off guard by her joke.  Even as his ears turned red, he began to chuckle.  Though it was a brief bout, his body shook at the force of his laugh.  Turning to Tara once he had stilled, he replied.  "No apologies needed."  He struggled for a rebuttal and quickly stalled.  "Shit.  I don't have much skill with humor."

The smith slipped out from under the sheets, freeing Tara to get up when she was ready.  The blade stored under the pillow moved back to the pile of clothes.  As he was reaching down though, he caught a subtle odor clinging to his smock.  Not surprising, it had been a couple days since he had found time to bathe.  "I was going to see about washing off.  Did you want me to have something set up for you?"  It was an honest question and as suggestive as the bard would likely turn it, Joshua did not blush at the offer...

DragonSong

She couldn't help smirking. "Well now," she purred, unfolding herself from the bed. "And here I thought you were too shy to go propositioning me." She widened her eyes and batted her lashes at him, then snorted and shook her head, dropping the act.

"I wouldn't mind a bath, sure. Thanks."