Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Back here again {DragonSong}

Started by Lowen Thorn, March 18, 2018, 12:22:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lowen Thorn

Lowen nodded politely with a small smile on his face. He picked up the water bucket once more and made his way to the wash area to clean the bowls. As he cleaned, he softly hummed an old hymn - one lost from his memory, but has been with him since as long as he could remember. The raspy baritone of his voice complimented his soft hum, creating a relaxing melody in the corner of the room. He normally didn't allow strangers to hear such things if he could help.

'Why am I humming? They probably don't want to hear that', Lowen thought to himself as he scrubbed the bowls.

'I don't know, why are you? I hate it when you do that,' the second voice silently retorted.

The man stopped. How embarrassing.

"Hana," he called out as he focused on the bowls. "Tell me a little more about yourself. You've been so kind, yet I do not know much about you." He peaked over his shoulder with a sly grin, eyes pinned on the woman. "I am still not convinced that you are not some sort of Fox Goddess, after all."

DragonSong

The kitsune twisted slightly as he called her name, then smiled slightly, letting her ears twitch from side to side.

"I'm not sure there's much to tell," she said with a shrug and a little laugh, carrying the bowls over to him. A few locks of hair fall forward over her shoulder as she bent to hand them to him, obscuring her face for a moment.

"Tobin found me on his doorstep when I was a babe," she said after a moment. "I've...never actually met another one of my kind, but I know I'm no goddess." She murmured the last bit with a small smile, brushing her hair back and glancing up at him through thick, silvered lashes. "They call us kitsune on the isles. Thanatos. I think that's where we come from."

Lowen Thorn

Lowen continued to clean though his eyes stayed with the woman. "I only kid," he grinned. He felt more relaxed now. "It sounds like we have a few things in common, Hana. I'm sure no.. Kitsune, was it? And I have met many other humans, mind you, but I am not quite sure of my roots prior to the past four years."

He placed one cleaned bowl to the side and started on another. "The only family I've ever known, or can remember, were a kind elderly couple who brought me into their home years ago in La'marri. They told me that I was greatly injured and slept for over a week. They were both mages, and even with their abilities said it was a miracle I recovered. I only remember waking up that day, not knowing where I was or who I was."

He stopped cleaning the second bowl mid-scrub. "I am not sure why I am telling you all this," he said quietly.

He continued to clean the bowl, unconsciously humming the same tune as before. After a few passing moments, he sat the second bowl to the side and positioned to the last in front of him. Peering over his shoulder, he flashed the Kitsune a quick smile. "Almost done."

DragonSong

"I've got one of those faces," Hana said softly with a small grin. "Makes you wanna pour your heart out. I'd be a good barkeep, I think."

Her tone was light, but her eyes were dark and contemplative as she watched him.

"That why your wandering?" she asked eventually as she handed over the last bowl. "Trying to figure out who you are?"

Lowen Thorn

"You do have a nice face," he said cheekily, not realizing how that must have sounded.

He started scrubbing the last bowl, his eyes easy as he contemplated his answer. "I believe so, yes," he replied. "Not knowing who I really am has been somewhat of a burden on me. I'm grateful for the people that helped me, but at the end of the day it doesn't feel like enough. I have certain mementos of my past, or that I believe to be of my past, that must hold some significance. Like this ring for instance."

He motioned to the ring that hung on the leather-strapped necklace around his neck. "This, and the song you may have heard me humming a few moments back," he continued. "I have no idea where it came from."

He let out a heavy sigh, and placed the last clean bowl away from the wash area. Turning around, he leaned his back up against the wall and looked to the Kitsune woman. "Yet, four years later and I am no closer to where I've started," he said with a shrug. "Do you ever try to find out more about where you came from, Hana?"

DragonSong

"Aw, don't you know how to make a girl blush," Hana teased, tossing him a playful wink.

She sobered slightly and settled back on her haunches, tilting her head as she considered his words. "Sometimes...I think it would be easier if I actually went to Thanatos, but I've never felt so inclined." She shrugged. "I'm happy being who I am, I think. Even if I'm not sure where I came from."

Lowen Thorn

'Blush? Oh!'

The man returned a bashful smile realizing what he had said before. "I envy you," he said quietly, slowly stroking his jawline. He contemplated his response for a few moments before speaking again. "But, you know, Hana," he continued, "If you ever decided you wanted to go to Thantos, I could go with you. I've never been there - and two heads are better than one, right?"

He lifted his hands in the air in playful surrender. "Unless you think I would be holding you back," he teased, only half-way kidding.

DragonSong

"Hm..." Hana tilted her head and pulled a comically contemplative expression. "Perhaps. I'll think about it."

With a lopsided smirk she tapped the tip of his nose and got to her feet. "You should get some sleep. I can probably convince Tobin to let you stay through tomorrow, but I wouldn't want to impose on him much longer."

Lowen Thorn

"Sure. I will need to be on my way in the morning, anyway. I can leave a little before dawn. You have been more than helpful, and I do not know how I can repay you," Lowen said sincerely. "Thanks."

This may have been the most hospitality he had been shown since the Thorns took him in years ago. A hot meal, a bed, and new friends? Best day ever. He nudged himself off of the wall and glanced over to the back room Hana visited earlier. "That room there?" he asked, motioning to Hana's childhood bedroom.

DragonSong

"Oh, nonsense." Hana waved him off with a small frown. "It's not like it was any trouble- and you should at least stay for breakfast."

She nodded when he pointed to her old room. "Yes, make yourself comfortable." She sighed quietly and arched her spine back into a stretch, tails swishing slowly through the air. "I'll be back in a while, I'll try not to wake you."

Lowen Thorn

'Back? Where is she going? Well, it is really none of my business.'

The man nodded with a warm smile. "Oh, I'm a pretty heavy sleeper, so you don't have to worry about that!" he said cheerfully. "Oh, and breakfast. If you insist."

Arching his back, the young traveler stretched out his arms an let out a long yawn. "Well, I'm beat. Best get to it," he nodded. "Goodnight, Hana."

Lowen exited the living space and stepped into the woman's bedroom, taking a quick look around. Normal enough, he thought. His eyes quickly rested on the bed. Oh. Bed. Gods, that looked great. Sitting down on it, he began to unlace his old, beat up boots. Slipping them off, he moved more into the bed and sprawled across it.

'Wow.'

First time in ages he didn't have to sleep in the dirt with one eye open. The man lied when he told Hana he was a heavy sleeper. He rarely gets a good night's slumber, and with this sudden change, he wasn't sure if he would be able to sleep at all. Well, maybe.

He lied there, still, silent, staring at the ceiling above him as his thoughts began to drift.

DragonSong

Hana and Tobin sat by the hearth, talking quietly into the night. She may have just been home, but there still seemed to be so much to catch up on.

Eventually, Tobin declared he was tired and her yapping was bothering him, and she rose with a small smile and kissed his brow, then moved back to her old room.

Moving quietly so as not to disturb their guest, she laid out a bedroll on the floor and crawled into it, wrapping her tails around her body to provide a little extra warmth.

Lowen Thorn

Lowen lied atop the bed, physically awake but mentally absent. He continued to lay there for some time in that state. His empty stare remained locked on the ceiling, oblivious to everything and everyone around him. He did not notice the kitsune as she returned to the room to make herself a bed.

'My head,' he groaned lifelessly. 'It's pounding. It's out of control.'

This familiar feeling. His head would often spin as he tried to go to sleep, but he never remembers it happening until the next occurrence.  But why now? This was to be one of his most comfortable nights in a long while. 'Not now,' he begged, emotionless if they had been spoken aloud. 'Hana.'

Abruptly, Lowen sat straight up from the bed without a word.

DragonSong

Hana started slightly and raised her head. "Gods, Lowen! Startled me. I'm sorry, I didn't mean to wake you," she chuckled sheepishly.

When he didn't respond, she frowned and started to get to her feet. "Lowen? Is something wrong?"

Lowen Thorn

Lowen slowly got to his feet and took a step away from the bed. His hollow eyes found their way to the young woman in the room, staring blankly at her for several silent moments.

Click.

With a sudden shift in emotion, the young man's face turned to worry and distress. "I have to go save them!" he said with a shaky, out of breath voice. "There's a war going on and they're trapped there! She is trapped there. I'm sorry but I must go!"

The man swiftly left the bedroom and marched over to the the area in the living space where he had cleaned the bowls. He stopped. The excessive panting and panic washed away and he stood lifeless once again, staring vacantly at the wall before him.

DragonSong

"Lowen? Lowen!"

Scrambling a bit, Hana followed after him at a light job, brow furrowed. This was just odd. "Hey." She approached cautiously as he paused in the main room of the cottage, laying a hand on his shoulder. "Hey, look at me, huh?  You okay?"

Lowen Thorn

"Well how the hell should I know?! You're the one that called me!" the man barked out in a transformed, darker tone as he slammed his fist against the wall. "You and I were just about to get some sleep for once! Gods! ...but you just had to start whining and crying, running away and hiding like you always do. Pull up your pants and be a man for-- wait, who?"

The man shot a look over his shoulder to the woman behind him. His eyes were cold, almost evil. Not Lowen's eyes. These belonged to someone else. He glared at the Kitsune for a moment and his eyes drifted to the hand on his shoulder. "Get your damn hands off me," he hissed slowly.

He moved away from the woman swiftly, putting some distance between them. His eyes remained laser-focused on the woman as he circled around at a slow pace. He came to a stop. Tilting his head, he looked her up and down and flashed a curious smile, but with an insane look in his eyes. He lifted his hand slowly and pointed at her, bobbing that hand back and forth as he tried to figure her out.

"Well lookie lookie, who the hell do we have here?" he started in a demanding tone.

"Oh, I got you. I know you now," the man said. "You're the fox! The fox girl! Been taken care of ol' Lowen in my absense, han't ya? Bet'cha thought you were friends or something."

The mysterious side of Lowen eased up, smiling bigger and let out a soft, amused chuckle. "Hana, right? Well I do have to apologize, missy. I hear the voices but I can't see the faces until it's up close and personal. Ol' Lowen.. you know, La.. La.. Lowen," he mocked, "likes to keep the world all to himself most times. A real piece of shit if I do say so myself."

Everything about this person was different from Lowen. He was more confident, shaprer, his eyes full of rage that never broke contact - even his accent was different. The calm and collectiveness of Lowen's voice was replaced by someone who sounded like they were raised on the countryside.

His grin softened to a malignant state as he awaited her response.

DragonSong

Hana's hackles raised and she backed away a step, ears flat to her skull. A low growl that she didn't entirely have control of thrummed in her chest.

"Who are you?" she hissed, tails lashing. The air around her fingertips began to heat up as she instinctively called on her magic.

Lowen Thorn

Ignoring her question, the man let out a laugh and continued to circle around. "Oh man! I cannot tell you enough how good it feels to be out in the open and stretching my legs right now!" he said with mischievous cheer. " He halted with a thud and whipped his body to face hers. "Do you know what it's like to be me? To live in the dark constantly while this asshole runs around getting himself into trouble, getting lost, making stupid decisions on a daily basis? Only calling on ol' Ipsen when he's in trouble or just can't handle his shit that day?! Hell, I don't even know why I'm here this time - thought we were in good shape for the night."

He let out a heavy breath while his eyes trailed off in thought. "Mmmmm," he shook his head before returning his gaze to the woman. "And did you know he doesn't even know who I am? Well, he knows who I am. He knows me. He just forgets every damn time. Every time I let his sorry ass come back to surface. Can you believe that?"

He continued to pace around with accumulated madness. "So annoying. I have to hear him inside his own head, day in and day out, trying to figure his shit out. Doesn't listen to a word I say!" he said with an aggravated huff. "Yet when I'm the one in charge, he knows exactly who I am and he just whines and complains. Over and over and over and over. It's impossible to tune that out! Even now he's telling me not to harm you."

Those were his last words before his lips curled to a small, chilling smile. Without hesitation, the man hopped back, drew his dagger, and hurled it at Hana - purposely aiming just right of her face.

DragonSong

The kitsune's eyes widened and she spun sideways, avoiding the blade. Her lips pulled back in a snarl and her tails lashed as blue fire suddenly lit in her palms.

"Who are you?" she repeated, voice a low growl. "An other, that's obvious, but what kind?"