Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Black Hole Sun (Open! PM to join!)

Started by Eckhart_Von_Musel, April 28, 2018, 09:43:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eckhart_Von_Musel

"The only good thing about humans," Emilia decided as she shifted through a pile of dusty tomes, "Is their tendency to collect all of their knowledge in one place."

It was early winter. It had snowed a few nights ago, and the city of Reichsgard had been coated in a thick blanket of white ever since. The busier streets had been cleared by the city's mage council, but the side streets and alleyways were still difficult to travel on. Icicles hung from every rooftop and street lamp, and in the cold mid-afternoon the entire city seemed to sparkle.

Emilia hated snow.

The former dragoness had come to this city for a single reason- Reichsgard had a famously large bookshop. Books were knowledge, and knowledge was power- and power was something Emilia desperately, desperately wanted.

Unfortunately, the bookshop didn't seem to have any of the power she was searching for. "Wildlife? No, that's useless. Cooking? Boring." she thought as she went through each and every book on each and every shelf. "Where are the books about rituals and sacrifice? This place is a dreadful travesty!"

"Excuse me ma'am?" Emilia turned to see one of the clerks looking at her. "Would you like help finding something?"

The former warlord's nose wrinkled. "Not from you, worm. Get out of my sight!" Emilia turned on her heel and walked away, leaving the man speechless. "Disgusting creature!" she thought angrily. "How dare it address me as if it knows better than I do?"

Another thirty minutes passed without Emilia finding anything. "This is a hopeless waste of my time." Emilia thought bitterly as she stormed towards the exit. "I cannot believe I bothered to grace this filth with my-"

On her way out, a small book lodged between two encyclopedias caught Emilia's eye. Picking it up, she looked at the cover and smiled.

Collective Belief: A Mortal's Guide to Godhood

"That works." she thought. Walking towards the door, she waved to clerk. "You'll be giving this to me, human. Be thankful that your establishment wasn't a complete waste of my time."

The clerk looked at Emilia dumbfounded. "I- Hey! You still need to pay for that!" He yelled as Emilia walked out of the shop. "Get back here!"

Emilia didn't listen, and began to walk down the ice-covered street. "Now all I need is a good, quiet place to read..."

KingTyrant

It seemed like every bad seed in Le'raana was being drawn to Reichsgard, all with very bad intentions in regards to the book located the the bowels of the large bookshop resting in the emptier part of the city. Sure, things were already bad enough with such a loathsome, bitter creature as Emilia lurking about, but there was other, more disturbing things on the horizon for this place.

Although it was blisteringly cold out today, that didn't stop the ice from melting away in a neat circle in the middle of the street, just a few blocks down from the shop in question. As the ice melted to reveal the cobblestone just beneath it, a circle of fire spread outwards from the center, bright embers flying up into the cold air, drifting with the breeze.

Suddenly, as the circle of fire reached its max, another appeared just next to it. Then, to its opposite side, another. Before these strange anomalies, one could only see the white of the snow, and the grey of the frozen, stone buildings. However, these three fiery holes in the ground stuck out like a sore thumb, and one look gave away the impression that bad things were to come. Those assumptions were correct.

From the two circles resting at the sides of the first, a pair of hulking, demonic entities in charred armor with orange embers burning between the plates of each piece rose, each wielding large halberds, with long, curved horns jutting up from their skulls, curling back behind them. They stood at at least 7'4 each, and both were looking around slowly, growling towards each other as if making conversation. Then, from the first circle of flames to appear, another figure rose. Much less grotesque than the two previous entities, but anyone that knew what it was would think otherwise.

He had a full head of white hair, cut rather short and messily slicked back on his head. His skin was pale, with an appearance that was hard to gauge how old he was, exactly. A long, brown coat with a fur trim rested on his shoulders, the front opened to reveal a grey and brown tunic, multiple cryptic designs stitched into the fabric. He looked like your average man, all things considered. His gaze betrayed this notion, however. Two, bloodshot orbs rested in his sockets, irises milk white and lacking a pupil of any kind. He looked sick. He looked depraved.

Hands behind his back, he also looked around, face stoic as he took note of how quiet this side of town was. Peculiar... Sure, there were the few passer-by's that saw and immediately turned tail and ran, terrified, but other than that, this place was... Dead. Raising a hand, he looked over his shoulder at the accompanying monstrosities. "Find the book." Snapping his fingers, they both nodded, bodies blowing away in two separate streams of ash, behind a tall building, and both to separate sides of town as well. Now, perhaps that bookstore could point him in the right direction? Before he could move, however...

"Hey!"

He looked over at that moment, letting out an inaudible huff. City guard... He looked as if he had seen that little light show of his, too. "Alright, hands where I can see them! Care to explain yourself? What were those things? And who are you?" The man held a spear, teeth bared and eyes narrowed. He tried to come off as tough. The white-haired creature saw right through that, though. Stepping towards him, the guard stepped back, hands shaking. "Don't you move! I'm warning you!"

"Warning me? I assure you, threats are not your best choice of action here, worm." The creature said, eyes burning into his own. The guard gulped, quickly regaining his composure before charging forward with a battle cry of sorts, preparing to jab whatever this thing was right in his gut. That plan didn't work out so well... The creature unsheathed a rapier from his hip, parrying the lunge of the guard's spear before grabbing the weapon and pulling the guard close.

His cry for help was cut short as the creature took him by his throat, choking him slowly, and painfully. "As for my name, you may know me as Saevic. Though, I'm afraid you will not be alive long enough to speak it." With that, the being known as Saevic suddenly sent a wave of heat from his palm, watching as the guard's body ignited suddenly, turning his flesh and bone to burning ash and charcoal in an instant. Letting go of what used to be his throat, the disigured body fell in a black pile in front of him, Saevic wiping off his hand on his tunic.

Looking back towards the bookstore, a figure seemed to be exiting. One that caught his eye. She had something with her... A book. Not just any book. From what he could gather at this distance, with its cover matching the description it had been given, this was the one he had been looking for. "Splendid..." He took slow, sinister steps towards the woman, who had an aura about her that struck the being as... Ambitious. Too much so. The negative energy radiating from her was almost unbearable. Two with the same goal... Things could never be easy, could they?

He didn't let a word leave his lips as of yet. He was simply sizing the woman before him up, wondering just how much of a hassle it would be to remove the book from her possession. In a way, he was excited to see what this encounter held. He would've hated for her to fall like most mortal men. If he was to battle for his ultimate goal in this dump of a city, he at least wanted a challenge.

Eckhart_Von_Musel

It only took a few minutes of walking for Emilia to realize she was hopelessly lost.

It was the snow that did it, really- everything began to to look the same when there was enough of it. A right turn, then a left. There had to be a tavern somewhere, right? Emilia slipped on a patch of ice, nearly losing her footing. Cursing, she straightened herself up and turned around. Maybe she was going the wrong way...

With a huff that turned to steam as it left her mouth, the former dragoness began to retrace her steps- paying little attention to the odd man as she walked by him in the street.

KingTyrant

As the two passed by each other, Saevic felt his nerves tingle as he got the perfect read on her. More importantly, her soul. A dragon, huh? Well, what used to be a dragon. A fact that made her so bitter. So oozing with negative energy. It was an intoxicating aroma, to say the least. He paused, looking over his shoulder as she continued to walk back towards the bookstore. She looked to be in a rush. She looked to be wandering aimlessly, really.

"If you were planning on making a hasty getaway, your best option isn't to get lost. That's a mistake that could cost you your life, dragon-blood." He said aloud, turning fully towards her. "I'm not one you should spend so much time around." His voice showed little emotion. So did his face, barely blinking as he addressed her.

At that moment, Saevic's body dissipated into a cloud of hot ash, swarming over to her like locusts and reforming into his original form right behind her. Taking her by the shoulder with a firm hand, he spoke softly to her. "Besides, I believe you have something I want. Something that belongs to me." He murmured, the rasp of his voice taking on a malicious edge.

Eckhart_Von_Musel

Emilia stopped dead in her tracks at the dound of the man's voice. "Damnit, why now?" she thought, a lump beginning to form in her throat. "I can't risk a fight! I'm not strong enough yet!" Her eye twitched at the man's rather dramatic display of power, jealousy overpowering her anxiety. "Gah, teleporting behind people like that was my thing! Asshole..."

"He acknowleged your heritage." said a small, optimistic voice in her head. "You can still come out on top if you make him believe."

Taking a deep breath, Emilia did as she had always done when she was in a tight spot- fake confidence and hope for the best. Not moving from where she was standing, the woman looked behind her to give the man a bemused smile. "Is this one of those... things?" she said, her voice oily. "You know, where we both posture at each other and leave after getting bored of it?"  A small chuckle escaped her lips. "Why don't we save ourself the trouble and go our seperate ways now? I have things I need to attend to."

"Gods, please just buy into it..."

KingTyrant

Saevic couldn't help but smirk lightly at her words. A mischievous, cunning type, was she? Well, unfortunately for her, he was much smarter than the average, meatheaded man. Shaking his head, he turned her around to face him, his inhuman eyes gazing directly into hers, like two orbs of fire and brimstone. "No, no, no... I'm afraid that won't do."

He slowly looked down towards her book, analyzing its cover and spine one more time. Yes, this wasn't a mistake... She had it for sure. "The book." He pointed down at it with a taunting finger, his gaze returning to her face as he began to look much more serious before. "Hand it over, or I will char the flesh from your bones." He had no emotion while making his threat, even snapping his fingers and creating an orb of fire at his fingertips.

Eckhart_Von_Musel

Emilia lifted an eyebrow, scoffing. "Mmm. I'm sure you will." she said flatly. "Look, this book is what, a hundred pages?" The former warlord opened the book and haphazardly flipped through it. "Yeah, this is like, a thirty minute read for me. You can have it when-"

The title of one of the chapters suddenly caught Emilia's eye, and she flipped back a few pages. Her eyes narrowed. "Self Confidence: Believe in Those Who Believe in You? Oh, this is just unfathomably stupid." Emilia's nose wrinkled, and she promptly shut the book. "I'm glad I didn't pay for this..."

Rubbing her nose, she brusquely handed the book to the man. "You know what? You can have it. Consider it a mercy." If she wasn't stopped, Emilia would begin to walk away...