Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Trouble Afoot [for DragonSong!]

Started by Corvus, June 02, 2018, 07:32:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corvus

— PHAEDRUS —

a town outside Zantaric...

The town of Essetofte had a problem.

"...He's been missing for days, see," a harried woman explained, wringing her hands as Phaedrus frowned and took a sip of wine. She stared at him, her blue eyes misty through sheafs of black hair.

Shadows lengthened across the floor of the inn's tavern; the sinking sun tinged the slats of light orange, tinting the woman's shining cheeks. "And there's been strange things abouts -- strange -- howling and --- creatures--"

"Creatures?" One fiery brow rose.

"Yes--like--soundin' like wolves but--oh, I dinnae -- just find him, please, use your magics. You can, can't you?" Her knuckles jumped, fingers wringing her handkerchief. Tears budded in her eyes. "He's not the only one missing, neither..."

He stared at her blandly as she explained how a search party had gone into the mountains, twirling his goblet round and round. As it went, a number of disappearances had whittled the already small town into desperate numbers.

Each villager had thrown together their savings, promising it to whoever brought them back—the old innkeep, a huntress, and the two young men that set off to investigate. It was clear that the woman he was talking to--the mother of one of the boys--could not accept the possibility her son might be dead, nor the possibility that if four people had gone missing, then he stood a poor chance. Magic or not.

Well, a job was a job. His pockets felt lighter than he liked; a poor thing whilst travelling.  Besides, staying away from Zantaric is good for the soul, the sorcerer reasoned, tapping his nail on the rough-hewn table. The woman across from him buried her face into her handkerchief and hiccuped, her watery eyes peering up at him with desperation.

"Very well," Phaedrus sighed, pushing his wine away and leaning back into the chair. He adjusted his hat, eyes suddenly weary. "Tell me of it."

He wasn't the only one to hear the clink of gold.

The next day, another stranger had appeared in the inn; as the sorcerer picked his way down the stairs and sauntered into the tavern, he saw a figure surrounded by a buzz of people.

"--can you help us--"

"--a dragon-rider, blimey--"

"--girl, we're in desperate need--"

Something between relief and annoyance flipped his guts; hadn't he just volunteered for the bloody job? They looked a fair part more enthusiastic about this one: where there had been desperation for his help after admitting the fact he was a sorcerer, it had been reluctant... but one might think this woman a local hero.

Well, he wasn't about to let someone steal his coin entirely...

"Hm." His small cough went unnoticed, to his further annoyance; instead the sorcerer sidled up to the crowd, slipping like a serpent between the tangle of elbows. Immediately, he saw the reason for the buzz: the woman looked sun-kissed and strong, her rich curls tumbling around a resolute face. Something fiery lived in her: he could sense a magic like a dormant coal in her, and the annoyance in his breast mounted higher.

"...Oh," the woman from yesterday broke, gaze hopping between them. "...Miss, you wouldn't be alone for the job, you see... this one has volunteered as well."

Of a sudden he found himself the unwanted center of attention. By the way faces fell, it was clear they thought him less than impressive: pasty, sneerish, with a form that suggested he was better suited to reading and eating apple pasties rather than charging off on some rescue mission.

A look, on the whole, he was used to.

"Good morning," the sorcerer chimed, folding his arms and leaning his weight to one leg. His yellow eyes fixed on the Adelan, bow-lips quirking. "Quite the reception. I am Phaedrus. And you are...?"

DragonSong

Kiara was a little startled by how quickly she was surrounded once they'd entered the town. Kit had set them down just outside the village limits, but of course the locals had seen her come blazing in on a dragon.

Dramatic overgrown lizard, she thought with an internal sigh.

But she smiled for the townspeople as they gathered around her, listening as they babbled the problem out in disjointed phrases, some whispered and some shouted. Her brow furrowed as she learned of the missing folk and nodded quickly when someone-- she wasn't quite sure who in the crowd-- begged for her help.

"Of course, I'd be happy to look..."

Her voice trailed off, as did several others, as a middle aged woman sheepishly pointed out that she apparently wouldn't be alone on this particular quest. Kiara quirked an eyebrow, looking her potential companion up and down.

Something felt...off about him. She couldn't quite place it, but her fae heritage often gave her little "feelings", a sort of instinct, gut warning. She'd learned to listen to them, over the years.

But she kept her expression neutral, even offering a polite smile and a nod for his greeting. "Well met. My name's Kiara, and I, ah..." She looked at the crowd around them and smiled sheepishly. "Well, I really wasn't expecting this," she chuckled, rubbing absently at the back of her neck.

Shaking her head, she extended a hand. "The more the merrier, yes? I won't say I'm fully understanding what beasties have been hunting here, but it seems that venturing out together is better than going alone."

Less coin, but also less chance of getting surprised and eaten. She called that an even trade.

Corvus

Despite himself, he snorted.

"Nor I," Phaedrus admitted, sweeping the crowd. What a reception. As she extended a hand he shook it, his palm cool against the warmth of hers; ah, yes, there it was... a tinge of fire, perhaps... he could feel it in her veins...

Phaedrus slipped it back and folded his arms, proffering a smile that ended up more of a crooked smirk. "I've been puzzling it myself. I was just about to go out and scout the area. See if I could find any magical disturbances..."

"It's up by the mountains, it is," a man nodded, eyes bouncing between the two of them. "We stared hearin' odd noises—thought them wolves— ole' innkeeper Barry went to go investigate, and then he was gone— every person since has disappeared— not a trace—"

Phaedrus frowned, tapping his chin. "Has anyone actually seen one of these beasts?"

"Not anyone who's returned," the man muttered, fiddling with the brim of his hat. He took it off, face crumpled in a frown.

"I saw something," whispered a small voice. Phaedrus turned to the source: a wide-eyed old woman, her white hair framing her square aw. "Two nights ago... the night my sweet Sigrid disappeared... I told her not tae go— I said she wasn't ready, but the girl—" her throat threatened to close; she swallowed a hard lump, blinking the tears out of her brown eyes. "A great shadow, looked like—moving outside—between the trees, see, looked like it had—" her mouth sagged open.

Phaedrus rose a brow, leaning forward expectantly. "Go on."

"...Might sound mad," she quavered, eyes going misty. "But swear it's true... it had—limbs—more 'n a spider—couldn't see it right—but I swear it sounded human— a voice— luring, like—"

The other villagers frowned, looking away from the old woman.

"It's your imagination," muttered one of the men in the tavern. "What I heard was wolves..."

"Sigrid could deal with wolves, damn you!" The old woman barked, sitting bolt upright in her chair. Her knuckles poked through her liver-spotted hands. "If it 'twere wolves, they'd all be back! Wolves we know! This we don't, this is sommat different!"

Angry mutters broke through the tavern. Phaedrus shuffled his feet, sucking in his lips as an argument exploded. Malaise twisted his guts, seeping through his chest—he looked over to Kiara, marking her face for a reaction.

"—you were half-asleep, they don't need to be chasin' half-mad dreams—"

"I swear it!" Howled the old woman. Her wild eyes flew to them both. "You believe me, don't yeh? Ye'll look?"

"I believe you," the sorcerer answered calmly, after a pause. A round of scoffs broke out; the man from earlier rolled his eyes and slapped his hands by his sides.

"Then you're just as mad as her—"

"I am not mad," Phaedrus cut, pinning him with a cold stare. "And you would do well not to say so again."

He man looked at him in disbelief, licking his lips. He looked ready to say something, but the sorcerer's burning gaze kept him from it—instead he set to scoffing again, swiping back his blonde hair.

"Oh, aye? What is it, then?"

"I don't know," the sorcerer mused, curling one finger under his chin and shifting his weight to one hip. The man rolled his eyes once again; Phaedrus ignored him, burying the surge of annoyance in his breast.

"But I do know," he clipped on, before the man could interrupt, "that there are many practitioners of dark crafts in Zantaric—many who meddle with things that should be the realm of the gods— and Essetofte is not so far from such things. So..." Phaedrus trailed off, frowning. An ugly prickle crept up his neck and spine.

"Or," the man grunted, though nervousness shone in his eyes now. He turned to fix Kiara instead, looking for assurance. "It's the mutterings of an old, mad woman."

DragonSong

His skin was cold. Too cold. Kiara had fight the urge to snatch her hand back from him, working to keep her small smile in place. What on the gods' green earth...

But she didn't have long to worry about it, because soon enough the crowd around them was in an uproar again. She winced slightly as voices raised, clamoring to be heard over one another. This was why she usually stuck to the wilderness with Kit. Humans made too much godsdamned noise.

The old woman caught her attention easily, and she listened carefully as she spoke, keeping her expression carefully blank-- until the younger man spoke up, and she shot him a quick glare.

But Phaedrus seemed to have him well in hand, her new "partner's" voice snapping out like a whipcrack to shove the villager back into his place. She smirked a bit despite herself as she stepped toward the elderly woman with a kind smile.

She had just opened her mouth to say something when the blond skeptic seemed to addressing her, asking her for assurances. She paused, biting her lip.

"I'm more inclined to believe it's anything but wolves, to be honest," she sighed after a long moment of deliberation. She didn't want to scare these people too badly, but she needed to be honest. They needed to know what was out there.

She turned in a small circle, eyes scanning the crowd. They lit on Phaedrus for a moment and paused, considering, then moved on. She still didn't know what to make of him.

Raising her voice slightly, Kiara asked, "Have none of you noticed the lack of game in your woods? I know you've all been distraught over your missing folk, but has no one thought it odd? Not just game-- predators too. There are no wolves in those trees, no bears, no wildcats. Kit-- Kittsareyn and I, when we were flying in, we noticed. It's why we stopped here, we wanted to see what was going on. What had scared the animals away."

She licked her lips. Gods, she hated talking in front of people like this. Resisting the urge to squirm, she continued, "And they are scared. Something evil is out there, and every child of the earth can feel it. Please, until we can figure out what's going on, I'm asking you all to stay in town. If you must leave, use the most well traveled roads."

The crowd set to murmuring at that. Some seemed afraid, others angry, and some just confused. She ignored them, turning to the old woman who'd first spoken up.

"Forgive me, grandmother," she murmured with a little dip of her head. "Could you tell me-- us--" She quickly glanced over her shoulder and beckoned Phaedrus forward-- "more about what you saw?"

Corvus

"Well... ent much more to tell," the old woman muttered, her eyes faraway for a moment. "See... my granddaughter, Sigrid... she heard of the disappearances, charged off, she did..." A lump stuck in her throat. For a moment it looked as if she couldn't go on, mouth gaping open; scrubbing at her eyes, the woman continued.

"'Twas like I said... I was out, lookin' fer her to return... we live in the outskirts, see, by the western forests-- and my Sigrid..." she swallowed hard, blinking. "I saw a shadow between the trees. I thought 'twere her comin' back... but then it got bigger and bigger... and it came with this awful cold..."

Her voice drifted to nothing. Fear flitted across her face like a deer, shining in her wide eyes. "An' I... I was so afraid—I told yeh—it 'twere no normal animal... an' then I heard her voice, my granddaughter— only it wasn't— like somethin' trying ter sound like her— an' then I ran back into the house—" By now she trembled, liver spotted hands twisting on the table.

Phaedrus' frown deepened.

A chill crept down his spine, causing his hackles to raise; the sorcerer kept his arms folded, rocking somewhat on his heels.

"She's right," Phaedrus said at length, nodding at Kiara. His brows lofted, impressed by the woman's sharp eye and wit. Animals fled at the first sign of danger... "This is something thoroughly — evil." The word gave him pause; he scratched at his chin, taking a deep breath. "Yes. It sounds like someone has tampered... perhaps summoned a Daemon of some kind. Such things do not occur naturally."

"Daemons?" The blonde scoffed, but some of the color had drained out of his face. He fidgeted like a child, casting looks around the room for assurances that no, this absolutely could not be. "In Essetofte? No — 'twere a bad breeze and—"

Phaedrus rolled his eyes.

"Believe what you wish," he snapped. "If it helps you sleep at night. But Miss Kiara—" he nodded to the dragon rider, "speaks wisely. Until this is—resolved... do not leave Essetofte. Indeed, do not even leave your houses, particularly at night. Travel in groups. And if you must slaughter an animal, keep its blood far from your home."

"...And... salt?" One of the men ventured, blinking. "I heard... salt keeps out evil spirits..."

Despite himself, a bitter laugh rolled out of him; indignation dashed across the villager's face.

"Salt? No. Salt shall not keep out such a thing. Settle for a good wooden bar and sword."

By now the townsfolk looked very pale indeed.

He tried not to show his own fear, picking at his thumbnail and looking to the dragon rider.

"It must have exhausted all the game," Phaedrus mused, sweeping the crowd once again. "It's hungry—with any hope, weak—but it is you lot it shall hunt next. It came by to scout, undoubtedly... it must be skilled in mimicry, if it can emulate a human voice. Now— what remains to be seen is if it's intelligent." Ye, gods, with any hope, no...

"How do you kill it?" Quavered a woman, her green eyes wide.

"Without knowing precisely what it is... I cannot say. But," he raised his voice as muttering broke out, "arm yourselves with fire. Such creatures fear it. Keep your hearths burning, set up fires outside... keep away the darkness."

Silence blanketed the tavern.

DragonSong

Well.

So much for not scaring people too badly.

Resisting the urge to roll her eyes, Kiara smiled to the elderly woman and nodded at her, then straightened up.

"Right. Well, the sooner we get moving the better," she said briskly, brushing past Phaedrus as she made for the door. Under her breath, she muttered, "You're just a barrel of sunshine, aren'tcha?"

Corvus

His lip curled.

"What," Phaedrus muttered under his breath as they pushed out the door, something like wry amusement playing in his voice, "ought I say? 'Not to worry, go on and romp outside?'" He rolled his eyes. "Let them piss their britches. The important thing is that they're safe. It shan't help to lie."

The tavern door slammed shut behind them, sealing off the babble of voices that erupted once again. As they walked, Phaedrus chewed his cheek, slowing in the middle of the town center.

"...Perhaps we ought to start at the old woman's cottage, if that's where it was sighted last," he mused. "But first... I need some supplies." A pause. He rose a brow, sucking in his lips.

"We need to lure it out."

The squeal of the pig rang in his ears long after it died.

The farmer had been reluctant, but after he warned him of the dangers lurking outside, he reasoned it better to lose one pig and have a week of smoked pork rather than lose his life; the animal's blood sloshed in the large waterskin now strapped to his back. A few powders kept it liquid--like a fresh kill...

"Ready," Phaedrus breathed when he rejoined the dragon rider. "I've just asked the best way to get to the old woman's cottage. Over here." He pointed at a worn path striking away from the village and sloping downhill.

DragonSong

Perched in the low fork of two branches in a tree just off the path, Kiara glanced up when she heard the man approaching, wrinkling her nose at the smell of blood.

Yeah, that should do it.

She nodded when he indicated the path and swung gracefully down out of the tree, returning the dagger she'd been sharpening to its sheath settled against the small of her back. "We should pick up Kit on the way. He's been waiting off in a clearing just that way." She gestured off the path, slightly to the northeast.

Corvus

Movement in the trees drew his eye.

Quick as an arrow, the girl dropped to her feet; metal flashed in the sun as she strapped her dagger on once more. Her sudden appearance startled him a bit, and he rose a brow. An able huntress. Good...

"Very well then," Phaedrus nodded, smoothing the front of his tunic. "Lead on."

The sorcerer couldn't help some excitement in his voice — to meet a dragon! Imagine!  He'd seen plenty of skulls and powdered dragons' bone promising all matter of things... but a live one? No.

"I've never seen an Adelan dragon," he admitted. "Only the flightless sort from the deserts... some eccentric Zantarics keep them as pets. Come to think of it, I've never really met a rider either."

With a certain spring in his step, the sorcerer walked towards the clearing, casting glances at Kiara's way.

"He breathes fire, I hope? That will certainly come in handy. I doubt our quarry likes flames very much." A wry smile hooked his face.

DragonSong

"Course he breathes fire," Kiara laughed, though it was clear she wasn't laughing at the question so much as just...laughing. It was a nice sound, if a bit brash. Almost like the call of a large bird.

A few steps more, and she suddenly paused, pursing her lips to give a sharp, four-toned whistle.

With an answering call-- the last three notes of an old tune, albeit in a deep, rasping cry-- a mass of shimmering black scales launched himself into the air, circling low over the path before coming to land in front of Kiara and Phaedrus. Understanding that they'd be working with this stranger-- Kiara had briefed him of course-- the dragon craned his neck back and preened. He wasn't as large as most of his kin yet, but he was plenty big enough to carry two passengers, for a reasonable distance at least. And his fangs and claws were wickedly sharp, edges glinting in fading sunlight.

Kiara snorted and rolled her eyes. "Oi, c'mon now you great lizard, quit showing off," she laughed, skipping forward to pat his shoulder. Kittsareyn crooned and lowered his head to nuzzle her shoulder, rocking her back on her heels.

She glanced back over her shoulder at the sorcerer. "Come on, then. He doesn't bite." She smirked. "Unless I ask, of course."

Corvus

A shadow blocked the sun.

Phaedrus looked up to see a mass of rippling black scales, his mouth dropping open. As Kit landed, he took an involuntary step back, eyes wide.

"Bloody hell," he breathed, at a loss for words; had he a heart, it would have pounded ferociously. The beast's scales drank the light, and the sunlight sparked off a fierce, slitted eye. He watched, transfixed, as he drew his rippling neck back, exposing a line of dagger-sharp teeth. The sorcerer's eyes drifted down to the equally wicked claws, guts jolting. They could rip a man to shreds, he thought, assaulted by grisly images.

He watched, at a loss for words as the girl just—sauntered up to the enormous beast, petting him as if he were a friendly family dog.

Come on, then, she said, and he let out a breath he didn't realize he'd been holding, suddenly aware he'd been frozen to the spot since the dragon landed. Get a grip, Phaedrus, he scolded himself, swallowing.

He managed a twitching smile at her words, willing his feet forward into what he hoped was a casual walk. The closer he got, the stronger the dragon's presence became — a powerful aura radiating with heat, fire made flesh.

"He's beautiful," Phaedrus breathed, unsure if that was the right... term, but nevertheless, he could think nothing else. Drawn by the dragon's magnetic presence, he lifted a pale hand as if to touch the beast's scales, then paused and thought better of it, turning to Kiara.

"May I...?"

DragonSong

Kiara could help smiling as she watched, scratching absently at Kit's favorite spot just beneath his jaw. It was always fun to watch someone meet a dragon for the first time.

She groaned playfully though when the sorcerer complimented her partner and rolled her eyes dramatically. "Oh, don't," she sighed, long suffering. "It'll go right to his ego, I swear."

Proving her point, Kit hummed smugly and cocked his head back, shifting so the light caught the glimpses of silver and gold lining his night black scales. Kiara rolled her eyes again and shoved his shoulder. "Stupid git," she accused affectionately. The dragon responded by huffing a hot breath directly into her face, making her cough.

Sputtering, she finally noticed the way Phaedrus has reached out, and she felt Kit tense just slightly under her touch. With a little huff, she gave their new companion a lopsided grin and replied, "Why don't you ask him yourself?"

Kit snorted and glanced at her sidelong. He wasn't sure if he wanted to talk to this new person— flattery was all well and good, but it only went so far. Kiara returned the look with one of her one, one eyebrow arched and a smirk dancing at the edges of her lips. Well, looks like you'll have to make up your mind pretty quickly, my lad.

Corvus

Why don't you ask him yourself?

The dragon drew back and looked affronted, muscles rippling with sudden tension.

"Right," Phaedrus breathed, remembering with a flush that Adelan dragons were intelligent and capable of understanding human speech. Those of the deserts were more lizard-like than anything, clever enough, but still beasts.

"I would be honored if I could--Kit--" he fumbled with the name. "But I mean no... disrespect." That said, he drew his hand back with the slowness reserved for not startling a rabid dog, sucking in his lips. Unsure of what to do, he gave the dragon a little bow instead, shrinking away. The beast radiated such an aura of heat that for a moment he fancied himself next to a hearth -- it almost warmed him, breathed some life into his cold limbs. Of course he does not wish to be touched, an unbidden thought struck like lightning, not by a creature like me. Unholy...

Composing himself, the sorcerer cleared his throat, twisting his hands.

"Do you know of the task?" He asked, addressing the dragon now directly -- it felt odd, but he supposed he'd be rude before... "there's a heinous beast about, and we intend to find it. Oh, but how rude, I haven't introduced myself," he bumbled, eyes once again skirting the dragon's teeth, "I am Phaedrus. A pleasure to meet you, Kit."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DragonSong

The dragon watched him ramble for several moments, eyes half-lidded as he seemed to be considering. Then, with a low rumble, he lowered his head slightly in acquiescence of the man's touch. "Kittsareyn," he murmured by way of introduction, his voice like quiet thunder and spitting flames.

Kiara blinked, a little surprised. She wasn't sure she'd actually expected him to speak-- he rarely did, at least not to anyone but here.

Huh.

She shook it off quickly and nodded to Phaedrus. "He's been briefed. And with a nose likes his it shouldn't take us all that long to at least pick up a trail for what we're hunting."