Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Midnight Fathoms (DragonSong)

Started by quaggan, March 23, 2018, 03:51:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

quaggan

A satisfied grin spread on his face. He always enjoyed the thrill of doing something if not outright unacceptable, then at least something that could get him in trouble. The sweetest fruit is the forbidden one, as the saying went. "The bushes aren't very tall, but I suppose that's one of few advantages my sad height grants me, so perhaps we might hide there, should someone come looking."

DragonSong

"I wouldn't call it sad," Kana laughed as she started into the maze. "I'm not exactly a giant myself," she pointed out, twisting to throw him a quick grin and a wink.

quaggan

"How could I be so impolite?" he sighed in false despair. "I must beg your forgiveness for my careless words - I was deeply scarred by childhood trauma stemming from my height. I still remember, with horror, how my siblings used to hold all toys just out of my reach to mock me!"

He paused for a breath before adding "At least I save a little money on the fabric whenever I place an order at a tailor. Take that, tall people with your long limbs."

DragonSong

She laughed again, turning and walking backward a few steps to look at him with sparkling eyes. "Indeed," she chuckled. "I suppose I have Thanati heritage to thank for my height. Though to be frank it's not all that bad. I am at perfect shin-kicking height, should the occasion call for it."

quaggan

Coriander made a show of carefully stepping out of shin-kicking range. Not that it would help - he had all the reflexes of a glacier in spring, and from what little he saw of Lady Moonglade so far, she was rather quick and graceful, she could probably kick him before he even saw her move. Still, there was so much fun to be had in theatrics. "And did your Thanati heritage grant you the secrets of some mysterious shin-kicking art from the isles?" he asked. "Am I being boring? I bet half of the nobility here does little but ask you about Thanatos and your father's work..."

DragonSong

"Oh, that's alright," Kana laughed quietly, waving him off. She winked at him over her shoulder. "It's the curse of an ambassador's daughter, I'm quite used to it."

She paused a moment, waiting for him to catch up.

quaggan

That sounded like a sensible choice - if there was no way to change the situation, it was best to learn to enjoy it. Coriander never was the sensible kind, but he could appreciate... sensibility. As long as it wasn't melting into dullness. But Lady Moonglade wasn't the kind of a person that he would consider dull - she went with him in search of a labyrinth, after all.

"I would ask whether you prefer Thanatos or Serendipity, but I have a feeling any clever person would know the answer" he continued. "After all, why waste time and effort traveling between those two countries so frequently, if not for a deep fondness for both? Although I am curious about how the work of an ambassador to the islands looks like - from what I've heard, the people there aren't too fond of foreigners - or is it just a misconception?"

DragonSong

Kana shook her head. "Not entirely misconception. Though once you know the history of the islands, it is an understandable attitude." She laughed softly and flushed a bit. "Forgive me-- I'm sure you don't really want to listen to me ramble on about history and politics."

quaggan

He chuckled. "Do I have a reputation of a complete uneducated barbarian? I may not be as scholarly as my brother, but there are few educational pursuits I enjoy - and those would be history and politics. I love people, and history and politics perfectly compliment my interests the way strategy compliments war. How else can I understand the people I speak to, if not by learning of the history that produced them, and the politics that shaped them?"

DragonSong

"Now I never said that," Kana murmured hurriedly. "I just meant...don't you think it's boring. It's my life and sometimes I think it's boring."

quaggan

"Perhaps this is exactly why" he chuckled. "I can't get enough of court intrigue - perhaps because I have not experienced enough of it. Maybe it's my layman perspective allows me to see it as such fun. I would call myself anything but an idealist, but I suppose the same principle would apply - this naivete and lack of experience leading people to... hasty judgments."

His mind was fully capable of understanding this point of view from a logical perspective. Even the most entertaining activity could be made dull by repetition and routine. Perhaps he misunderstood the work of an ambassador, and rather than test their wits against the intrigue of both Thanatos and Serendipity, Lady Moonglade and her father had a much more boring task ahead of them. Or perhaps he's just made a hasty judgement, as he said. Or-

He tripped. It was dark, and the ground in the unfinished maze was not as smooth as in the rest of the garden. He smothered a curse - stupid accidents were no reason to be uncouth. And he doubted that the earth had any mother to insult to begin with. He reflexively glanced at his clothing as he picked himself up, but it was too dark to see if he got anything dirty. As fond as he was of the cover of the night and its many uses, sometimes it worked against him.

DragonSong

"Oh!" Kana whirled as she heard him stumble, darting forward to catch him a moment too late.

She knelt beside him and tutted, grasping his shoulders as she looked him over. "Oh dear, are you alright? Here, let me see..." She reached up to place a hand against his cheek and tilt his head from side to side, searching for a bump.

quaggan

He fought the temptation to say 'most of the time, I expect dinner and flowers before I let a lady put her hands on me'. Maybe he could use that line later. He let her examine him, going along. "I suppose there's isn't much to see without any light" he mused. "Still, I don't feel any crucial parts of my face missing."

DragonSong

She laughed lightly and rolled her eyes, though she took perhaps a moment to long to withdraw her hand. She tilted her head at him. "Anything hurt?"

quaggan

"Just my pride - but it will survive, as long as you don't tell all the gossip-mongers in Arca and Thanatos that I can't walk a few steps without tripping over my own boots. Otherwise, well, I suppose you can add my pride to your list of victims."

He wanted to make a necromancy joke, but he didn't know enough about Thanatos to make an educated one. The last thing he wanted to was to look like an uneducated buffoon.

DragonSong

Kana chuckled again and stood, holding a hand out to help him up. "Your secret is safe with me," she assured, eyes glinting merrily now that she was sure he was unhurt.

quaggan

Coriander accepted the hand - and the help. He smothered the instinct to smooth over his clothes - it was dark, he wouldn't be able to tell if he was smearing soil or worse all over the fabric, rather than fixing the creases. Perhaps there was no real need - he never heard about Lady Moonglade being able to see in the dark. But he would still like to look his best, for his own sake, and in case they were surrounded by assassins sneaking up on them.

A shiver ran up his spine, and it wasn't one of excitement. The climate of Serendipity always seemed acceptable to him, but the nights could get chilly. He looked at his companion. "Are you cold as well, Lady Moonglade? I've heard that Thanatos is a rather warm place - it must be difficult to get used to Arca's temperatures again."

DragonSong

"Yes, it can make the chill seem more intense," she replied with a crooked little smile. Her eyes suddenly glinted playfully and she added, "I've an idea to warm up, though."

Easily, she tucked herself under his arm and against his side, pressing as close as she could feasibly manage. Entirely improper. "There. Much better."

quaggan

He would have performed a bow, but it was rather hard to do with a lady under his arm - literally. He would have to make do with verbal rather than physical etiquette. "Looks like I was given the privilege of becoming your personal heater. It is an honour I shall not soon forget."

DragonSong

Kana laughed and shook her head at him. "Do you take anything seriously?" she teased lightly, pressing a little closer as another soft breeze rustled through the gardens.

Tucked against his side, she looked up at him and tilted her head slightly. "Master Coriander, would it be terribly forward of me to ask if I could kiss you?" she asked rather abruptly, an almost calculating glint to her eyes.